As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] OPEN SPOILERS through most recent Season 7 episode. Valar Morghulis.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Also, the Euron fight scenes pissed me off because everything was so dark and blurry that I kept thinking Euron had gotten stabbed/slashed/whipped/impaled and getting all exccited that he'd bitten it that quickly only to discover Nope! That Was Random Pirate #32.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Well also most of those things happened to Euron but he just has this huge well of HP apparently.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Euron finding the fleet and catching them 100% unawares was kind of a leap.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    enc0re wrote: »
    While I'm casting aspersions: I'm sure no one tried a ballista before against dragons. What an innovation!

There was lots of good in this episode but also some just silly stuff. Usually the stuff that wasn't character focused.

Could ballista be a new weapon in the show universe? Have we seen one before?

Because otherwise, yeah: their relative effectiveness should be well established in Westeros.

The Night's Watch used one against the Wildlings. It killed one of the giants. I'm not sure how common they are elsewhere though. In our history, ballistae went by the wayside during the feudal era after having been a big deal in the classical era before the fall of Rome due to loss of knowledge and resources to build and maintain the things. Various forms of catapult that were easier to make and maintain gained in popularity. It's not impossible for it to be a bit of lost tech in Westeros as well with the Watch only having one because it's so damn old and they have to make things last up there.

It's also possible the King's Landing engineers came up with a smaller, more aimable ballista capable of piercing dragon bone where previous incarnations where harder to target and/or couldn't get through a dragon's armor.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Varys for President

A President without a penis? He'll have to smile more/less

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    This seasons pace seems to be set to turbo, so I'll give Euron's attack a pass.
    Given the preview of next episode, Jon is already in Dragonstone.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    This seasons pace seems to be set to turbo, so I'll give Euron's attack a pass. Given the preview of next episode, Jon is already in Dragonstone.

Westeros has always been basically a mid sized city on the show. You can walk from one end to the other in a day or so.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Apostate wrote: »
    As someone pointed out before they have chains on them to prevent stealing. It was a common medieval practice. The chains can be unlocked too. The books can be taken out as long as a person signs it out.

None of the chains appeared attached to the books, and Sam does not reattach a single one when reshelving them, though.

Tis a bit puzzling.

Given that 'prentice Sam isn't trusted enough to have unfettered access to the library, why would he be given the keys to the book chains so that he could reshelve the chained ones?

Plainly, as the lowly sot he is, he's only allowed to reshelve the books that don't warrant chaining up. Some Upper librarian probably gets to shelve the chained ones.

Then why are there chains all over the shelves he's working on anyway if the books aren't important enough to chain up

Look I demand logical answers here, prop department plz

Metal based Dewey decimal system obv

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

I mean, they're right across the bay from each other. He already was aware of where they were.

It's really not much of a leap and a pretty common tactic.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »
    While I'm casting aspersions: I'm sure no one tried a ballista before against dragons. What an innovation!

There was lots of good in this episode but also some just silly stuff. Usually the stuff that wasn't character focused.

Could ballista be a new weapon in the show universe? Have we seen one before?

Because otherwise, yeah: their relative effectiveness should be well established in Westeros.

There are also practical issues. Hard to hit a moving target in the air that is breathing fire with one of those things. Unless Viserion just hangs out in front of one for a while so they can get him.

They should call Bard the Bowman

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    One thing I liked that is a change from the books

Dance with Dragons spoiler
    Instead of Lady WhoGivesAShit making sure Ned's bones never make it home, we get show confirmation that his remains are now in Winterfell.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

I mean, they're right across the bay from each other. He already was aware of where they were.

It's really not much of a leap and a pretty common tactic.

Yeah and his flagship is called Silence for a reason. He literally is just being show as "Ironborn, but competent."

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Regarding the Ballista:

Like mother like son, I guess, because Joffrey looked at his crossbow just like Cersei looked at her new giant crossbow.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Sam never has to re-chain a book because the chained books are all chained.

Assuming they're not chained based on content (since they have a locked section of the library) my guess would be that they're chained based on price. Books with extensive illustration or reference books which basically serve as an index for the rest of the library might be chained in place because the maesters don't want to have to replace them.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Well also most of those things happened to Euron but he just has this huge well of HP apparently.

He also wears full plate armor in water based attacks. Most everybody else is just wearing leather jackets.

• Options

Assuming they're not chained based on content (since they have a locked section of the library) my guess would be that they're chained based on price. Books with extensive illustration or reference books which basically serve as an index for the rest of the library might be chained in place because the maesters don't want to have to replace them.

I again did not see a chain attached to a book in the episode. I was looking!

• Options

I've looked but couldn't tell. I can see where the chains attach to the shelves but can't tell where they end up.

Maybe they're actually just super-thematic bookmarks. If you're in the library reading and you want to mark your place, you grab a chained bookmark and stick it there. Maesters, chains, etc.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Yeah, as a librarian it's annoying. Medieval libraries were better organized than that. You couldn't just go around grabbing books without unlocking them first.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

He also wears full plate armor in water based attacks. Most everybody else is just wearing leather jackets.

Most everyone else wasn't ready for a fight.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Regarding the Ballista:

Like mother like son, I guess, because Joffrey looked at his crossbow just like Cersei looked at her new giant crossbow.

I suddenly got a flash on what may end up happening to Ellaria.

Edited for clarity

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    They should have a scene where some decrepit old maester fumbles around with a thousand keys looking for the one that unlocks his book.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    What was Euron doing the past several years?

• Options

Being a pirate, I would assume.

• Options
    Why did he stop then?

Presumably he would have been able to do everything he's done so far earlier on if he wanted, no?

im so lost with Euron

• Options
    Regarding the Ballista:

I suddenly got a flash on what may end up happening to Olenna.

I hope not.

Of all the people in the show, Olenna Tyrell is the only one that I think has earned in-universe "plot armor."

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Euron did say he spent the past however long becoming the greatest captain in the 14 seas (because if it's not going to be seven it obviously needs to be TWICE AS MANY SEAS).
    Regarding the Ballista:

I hope not.

Of all the people in the show, Olenna Tyrell is the only one that I think has earned in-universe "plot armor."

Whatever happens with the Iron Throne and Westeros in general, the series needs to end with a shot of Olenna Tyrell sitting in a garden, drinking wine, reading a stack of notes from ravens, shaking her head and saying, "I fucking told you." <roll credits>

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    Why did he stop then?

Presumably he would have been able to do everything he's done so far earlier on if he wanted, no?

im so lost with Euron

Didn't he already say why?

Found out his older brother was doing a shit job and decided he could do better?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Why did he stop then?

im so lost with Euron

Because the plot needed him to be elsewhere until it needed him to replace Ramsay as the designated plot armor villain.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Why did he stop then?

im so lost with Euron

He came back to claim the Iron Islands

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Book stuff for Euron's career
    Euron's pirate stuff includes slavery, recruitment of warlocks onto his crew, and acquisitions of magical items. I assume that in the books he wanted to have some specific items before making a play for leadership of the Iron Isles but we have no idea for sure if those items exist in the show.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Why did he stop then?

im so lost with Euron

If there is one thing I've learned from the Pirates of the Carribean movies it's that if your pirates aren't undead and somehow bound to serve your ship those bastards die faster than you can conscript new ones. He probably came home because he needed a new crew to help him recover the Black Pearl.

• Options
    Regarding the Ballista:

I hope not.

Sorry I meant Ellaria.

• Options
    Why did he stop then?

im so lost with Euron

Hes been able to steal/plunder everything he's ever wanted, except marriage to a beautiful, powerful woman. He's stated that's something he's dreamt about since he was a boy.

So his first plan was to steal Dany's heart by presenting her with a fleet. That idea got stolen, so now he's moved on to winning Cersei's heart.

Pretty straightforward really.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    People probably read more back then.

Nowadays everyone is into these newfangled video games.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Join us next week as we transition from Sam taking a shit to Cersei getting soft serve ice cream poured.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Why did he stop then?

im so lost with Euron

So does he want power or just glory for the II?

See how his story compares with how well they reminded us of everyone else's motivations and journeys in just this episode.

I'm fine with him being unstoppable- I'm having a hard time with him being such a thinly fleshed out character in the show as they are winding it down and doing an otherwise nice job of treating the other characters' stories.

I guess I would have liked to learn more about him earlier is all.

Same with Jamie's admiration for Randall Tarly, which ... whatever. At least Jamie played up to his racism, which does seem to tie back well to what we've learned about him from Sam/the little we saw of him prior to this episode.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Join us next week as we transition from Sam taking a shit to Cersei getting soft serve ice cream poured.

Isn't that kind of a step backwards to Sam emptying chamber pots to being served thin bean soup?

• Options

Book stuff for Euron's career
    Euron's pirate stuff includes slavery, recruitment of warlocks onto his crew, and acquisitions of magical items. I assume that in the books he wanted to have some specific items before making a play for leadership of the Iron Isles but we have no idea for sure if those items exist in the show.

Oh!

Show-only here. That makes a lot of sense then.

• Options
    Dorne and the Ironborn are the worst storylines on the show

They kind of cocked those up compared to the adaptations of all the other characters and storylines

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Isn't that kind of a step backwards to Sam emptying chamber pots to being served thin bean soup?

I actually found today's gross transition worse than last week's.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.