Options

[Game of Thrones] OPEN SPOILERS through most recent Season 7 episode. Valar Morghulis.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I'm normally pretty good with violence / graphic content in TV and movies, but holy crap that scene with Jorah and Sam. I was imagining how painful that must be and wound up clutching my chest. Sam is a super badass for trying to treat Jorah, such a good guy.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Also fuck Theon.

but he looked so content floating in the water with his little piece of a boat; ya know?

Reborn amongst salt and smoke?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Salty take incoming

Man and here I thought that Daenerys's desire to not be the Queen of Ashes would be a sort of "nerf bat" to level hers and Cersei's forces.

Nope, we gotta turn a character who just fucking showed up and has no connection to anything that's happened to get us invested in this so far who has both super boat building and super fighting powers.

Meanwhile Zombie Mountain has done nothing for going on 2 seasons now.

Fuck man, there was some great call backs throughout the episode. Made you remember what all these characters cared about:
    Varys hired someone to kill Dany
    Elia/Sand Snakes really hate Lannisters and the Mountain
    Tyrion and Jon Snow ("all dwarves are bastarfs in their father's eyes")
    Melisandre and Stannis/Jon
    Sam with a reference to Shireen
    Jorah with the love note to Khaleesi
    Sam with all that courage after getting some from Gilly
    Hot Pie!
    Nymeria!

And then.

Euron who can apparently kill everybody by himself who's been on screen less than 20 minutes the whole series being awful.

Also I'm kind of pissed that Qyburns dragon fighting weapon was a ballista.

But Hot Pie!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Euron didn't kill yara or the last sand snake or Ellaria.

I suspect he will bring the snake back to kings landing as a "gift" of someone who killed the queen's daughter.

With bonus sexual violence, because that's how this show establishes villainy.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Theon is going to run into Gendry on his way back to Dragonstone

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    The Nymeria scene is meant to be indicative of how much Arya's changed since Season 1, so much so that she's hardly recognisable to the ones she loved, right? Suggesting that she might not find it such a welcoming return to Winterfell.. At least that's what I took from it.

No, I read it more as her and Nymeria being the same, so of course Nymeria doesn't want to just go home. "that's not you" was as much an indictment of her own plan as it was an understanding of her wolf's motivations.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also fuck Theon.

but he looked so content floating in the water with his little piece of a boat; ya know?

oh god yes.

that would be the most troll solution to this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'm just glad it's not worse and somehow Euron ended up getting a dragon or Tyrion with his plot armor.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

I suspect he will bring the snake back to kings landing as a "gift" of someone who killed the queen's daughter.

I thought Yara was the corpse hanging from the prow?

Ellaria is alive, probably sandsnake #3, but I doubt Yara is.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    "Be A Dragon" is my new mantra

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    The 2 sandsnake girls were the ones at the prow. One hanging off her whip, the other impaled with both ends of her spear.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Also fuck Theon.

oh god yes.

Not to mention the allusion to the fact that the Prince who was promised is gender-neutral in the correct translation and Theon is... Well, you know.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I didn't get really upset that Euron is a bamf in a fight. Wasn't one of the lines in the show "There's always someone better" and "Anyone can be killed", if I'm remembering.

It doesn't feel much different to me than Jon Snow racking up the kill count on battlefields, tbh. And that was against people in their element.

A pirate is a raider and probably has way more experience doing shipfighting than anyone that was on Yaras fleet, since the Ironborn sail to places and then reave on land.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I thought Yara was the corpse hanging from the prow?

Ellaria is alive, probably sandsnake #3, but I doubt Yara is.

The one hanging from the prow was whip sand snake.

• Options
    Also fuck Theon.

oh god yes.

Not to mention the allusion to the fact that the Prince who was promised is gender-neutral in the correct translation and Theon is... Well, you know.

that translation thing bugged me earlier in the episode, but this pulled it around for me so thanks

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    The 2 sandsnake girls were the ones at the prow. One hanging off her whip, the other impaled with both ends of her spear.

I thought Yara was hanging but what you say makes more sense, I forgot it was her weapon

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    they won't kill yara off camera.

The fate of the three remaining people on that boat will be decided in the next episode most likely.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    The Nymeria scene is meant to be indicative of how much Arya's changed since Season 1, so much so that she's hardly recognisable to the ones she loved, right? Suggesting that she might not find it such a welcoming return to Winterfell.. At least that's what I took from it.

No, I read it more as her and Nymeria being the same, so of course Nymeria doesn't want to just go home. "that's not you" was as much an indictment of her own plan as it was an understanding of her wolf's motivations.

Yeah, I can't tell quite what that scene meant yet. If Arya was accepting that she can't be a wild wandering creature her whole life or deciding that, actually, that's exactly what she has to be. It's strange. There's long been this sense that the Stark's being close to their wolves (both physically and in character) is a sort of protection, but here things definitely felt flipped around.

I really liked that scene.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Held hostage to ensure their regions loyalty so the Lannisters can crush the Tyrells, forcing Dany to flee north to the North with her nephew, where the three functionally immortal (Jon, Dany, Tyrion) people on the show can unite and stop the Long Night.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options

The fate of the three remaining people on that boat will be decided in the next episode most likely.

While I understand that expectation, thinking that was yara certainly felt very affective and fucked up

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

He brings them all before Cersei, bound and kneeling before her.

"Cersei, my first gift is one of their heads." *decapitates the third sand snake* "I'll trade you one of the other heads if you marry me."

Then Cersei chooses between Ellaria and Yara.

Then Euron kills them both anyway.

Or something.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Theon did the only sensible thing, really.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular

Yeah, this is a better read on the scene than my interpretation.

• Options

Yeah, I can't tell quite what that scene meant yet. If Arya was accepting that she can't be a wild wandering creature her whole life or deciding that, actually, that's exactly what she has to be. It's strange. There's long been this sense that the Stark's being close to their wolves (both physically and in character) is a sort of protection, but here things definitely felt flipped around.

I really liked that scene.

There's been a lot of ambiguity in a good way with Arya's scenes in these two episodes. And Maisie's the second strongest actor in this loaded cast, so that helps.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular

The inside the episode talked about it more. In Season 1 while Ned was showing Arya all the things she could have: dresses, courtship, typical lady things, Arya responds "That's not me". Saying that to Nymeria is her way of understanding that asking her to come home and what not is not what Nymeria wants anymore: she wants to be free. Hence the, "That's not you" line.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    On Amazon, they had an "about the episode" thing immediately after the credits. Arya's "that's not you" to Nymeria is a direct reference to a scene in season 1 where Ned is telling Arya about life as the wife of a lord, and she says "that's not me."

It's Arya acknowledging her own independent personality reflected in her direwolf.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    While I'm casting aspersions: I'm sure no one tried a ballista before against dragons. What an innovation!

There was lots of good in this episode but also some just silly stuff. Usually the stuff that wasn't character focused.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Also fuck Theon.

oh god yes.

that translation thing bugged me earlier in the episode, but this pulled it around for me so thanks

It feels like a retcon doesn't it

I'm okay with it tho

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm actually kind of glad for the curveball.

I knew it was coming, and I'm sure there will be plenty more on the way, but this show has made a habit of redirection that had been kind of missing for a while.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The whole time during that battle scene I was going welp I guess that uses up this season's battle budget and well I guess that's one way to get rid of all the dumb extraneous characters nobody cares about

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I thought the translation thing was from the books but I haven't read them

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    So this was Euron's 20 brave men moment? *sighs*

Aside from it being the entire 1,000 ships?

An ambush at night with ship borne artillery, fire, and a lot of boarders experienced with fighting on a ship versus a lot of Tyrell and Dornish who are not while Yara was drinking is at least a lot more believable at being effective than Ramsay's setting horses on fire without being noticed. That's not too far off from how Bartholomew Roberts had his pirate career ended by the British. A bit of a chump way to be defeated on the part of Yara, but a lot of pirate deaths and defeats aren't particularly glorious.

Given Tyrions battle plan, it was mostly just Yara's fleet and some of the dornish army. Yara was tasked with taking Ellaria back to Sunspear to rally the rest of the army. My guess is that Randyll Tarly's betrayal will split Tyrell forces weakening daenerys's army which will play into the Jon Snow scene.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The whole time during that battle scene I was going welp I guess that uses up this season's battle budget and well I guess that's one way to get rid of all the dumb extraneous characters nobody cares about
    My first thought was, this is why ancient empires were very reluctant to expose their Navy's.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    While I'm casting aspersions: I'm sure no one tried a ballista before against dragons. What an innovation!

There was lots of good in this episode but also some just silly stuff. Usually the stuff that wasn't character focused.

Could ballista be a new weapon in the show universe? Have we seen one before?

Because otherwise, yeah: their relative effectiveness should be well established in Westeros.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    I thought the translation thing was from the books but I haven't read them

It is. Basically Martin wants to keep everyone guess what the prophecies mean. Hopefully because they mean nothing. Prophecies: a dumb fantasy cliche.

• Options
    enc0re wrote: »

Because otherwise, yeah: their relative effectiveness should be well established in Westeros.

There are also practical issues. Hard to hit a moving target in the air that is breathing fire with one of those things. Unless Viserion just hangs out in front of one for a while so they can get him.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Maybe the weapon exists, but its a special metal?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    Euron with the Baraka Fatality!!

Love it.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Hot Pie!

Sam and Arya's scenes are far and away the best parts of these two episodes and that's saying something since I like a lot of the scenes in these episodes.

If someone other than GRRM could write it I'd really enjoy a novella from the POV of Grey Worm. I feel like his inner story is probably really intesteresting when not filtered through his poor language skills and ingrained tendency towards silent suffering.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »

The Night's Watch used one against the Wildlings. It killed one of the giants. I'm not sure how common they are elsewhere though. In our history, ballistae went by the wayside during the feudal era after having been a big deal in the classical era before the fall of Rome due to loss of knowledge and resources to build and maintain the things. Various forms of catapult that were easier to make and maintain gained in popularity. It's not impossible for it to be a bit of lost tech in Westeros as well with the Watch only having one because it's so damn old and they have to make things last up there.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
This discussion has been closed.