As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News... in a good way.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If a schoolchild throws something from a school bus, the correct resolution is to note the bus number, then call in to the school district. This, however, is the resolution that gets you arrested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOspNfObJS4

NRA hat.

Because of course.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    If a schoolchild throws something from a school bus, the correct resolution is to note the bus number, then call in to the school district. This, however, is the resolution that gets you arrested:

NRA hat.

Because of course.

Exactly the kind of calm rational person you want owning guns.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    So, gas station response from someone that worked at one for 7 years. If I fire extinguished a customer like that I would have been fired because that company was shitty. I would always just shut down the pumps and then shame them over the intercom with something like "Sorry folks, had to shut down the pumps. I'll turn them back on when the person at pump 5 puts out their cigarette". Nearly every time the person would comply.

My favorite non-compliance story however goes as follows. Normally slow Sunday morning shift. Lone car pulls up and I get annoyed because now I'll have to stop reading my book. Oh hey, it's a pay at the pump customer. Those were always my favorite. I glance back out and notice that the customer is smoking. I turn off the pump and inform her that I'll turn the pump back on once the cigarette is extinguished. The intercom is two way so I hear this, "Fuck you asshole! You're not the boss of me." To which I reply, "Ma'am, you are correct. I am not the boss of you, but I am trying to prevent a fire that could possible harm or kill us both, or that the very least cause some property damage." She puts out her cigarette and I turn on the pump. She finishes up and then comes inside and actually apologizes. I was shocked, no one ever apologizes to someone working at a gas station. She explained that she was having a really shitty day. The best I could do was not charge her for her coffee and tell her "no single day is so bad that we want to die in a fireball though" and she laughs. She leaves and I go back to my book.

The bigger problem was the people that would get back in their car and/or leave the engine running in the winter. I get it, it's cold. Sometimes it's really cold. But I've scene a static electricity discharge start a fire. It wasn't pretty. Trust me, you'd rather be cold for a 5-10 minutes than on fire. The time it takes me to go from behind the counter, grab the fire extinguisher by the front door, run to the pumps, and put you out will feel like an eternity even if it's less than a minute.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    The bigger problem was the people that would get back in their car and/or leave the engine running in the winter. I get it, it's cold. Sometimes it's really cold. But I've scene a static electricity discharge start a fire. It wasn't pretty. Trust me, you'd rather be cold for a 5-10 minutes than on fire. The time it takes me to go from behind the counter, grab the fire extinguisher by the front door, run to the pumps, and put you out will feel like an eternity even if it's less than a minute.

But, on the plus side, at least you wouldn't be cold during that minute long eternity.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett (RIP)

Robonun on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The danger of static electricity comes from the person sliding their ass across the seat as they get (back) out of the car and not discharging themselves on the vehicle body before grabbing the pump handle, thus creating a spark right at the source of the gas fumes. Using a cell phone or having the car running has little to do with it other than it's more likely that the person is getting in and out of the car because of it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    If there is enough of an air/fuel mixture just in the ambient environment that the engine will ignite it, then it will ignite anyway as you pull in/pull out/start the car. I suppose gas spilling out and dripping on a hot exhaust might ignite in a few cases, in the right circumstances, but the exhausts don't cool down instantly anyway

The real risk is probably having your car stolen if you leave it running and have to go in to pay

Phyphor on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'd like to tow the jackasses who park their car after filling up and then go inside to shop, preventing someone else from using the pump.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    People who go inside to pay are monsters regardless.

You either pay at the pump or you are literally Hitler. There's no real inbetween here.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

You either pay at the pump or you are literally Hitler. There's no real inbetween here.

And an excellent way to get your credit card skimmed. There's a gas station near the SF airport that everybody used to fill up their rental cars before returning them, only to get fraud alerts and a reissued card soon after. Now, it was a corporate card so less of an immediate hassle, but still

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

Yep.
    This is basically like writing a cheque in a busy checkout line.

Maybe you have a good reason to do this. Maybe it's a rational, good reason but it's still wrong.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Unless you don't have a card

Also places that only do prepay unless you're doing pay at the pump deserve ire

The worst I ran into was a row 6 pumps long. A guy pulls up to the first pump, his friend that was following him pulls up along side him and chats with him the entire time he's filling up blocking access to all the pumps ahead of them.

This was the first time I think I may have experienced road rage because by the time the assholes finally left I was beginning to seriously contemplate how badly ramming the idiot that packed next to his friend would damage my car.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017

You do know there are people who either don't have a credit/debit card and have to pay with cash, or if they do have a card it prevents them from using it at places that pre-authorize a purchase (such as paying at the pump).

I guess I don't deserve to drive because I was poor*?
    *Almost a decade ago I overdrafted one charge while banking with Bank of America. They rearranged my charges, including ones that posted the day before, until I was given a total of $300 in overdraft fees. I attempted to close the account, they said not until I pay the fees, I said fuck that because I was only making $150 a week and needed my money to get food/pay rent/survive. 2 months and another $150 in fees later they closed the account on their own, and reported me to chexsystems for account fraud. I spent the next 7 years unable to get a bank account (credit unions laughed in my face, one literally). The only one I could open was a really shitty one at wells fargo that costed me $25/month, limited my debit card usage to 5 free uses with a pin a month and everything else had a $1 charge on it, and it could not be used at pre-authorization purchases such as gas at the pump, hotel check in, and even restaurants gave me problems.

So yeah, please be careful who you are calling Hitler, please.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »
    Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett (GNU)

Fixed

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It kind of bothers me that the bus driver kept driving. Yeah, NRA hat is a crazy asshole, but once he's on the hood he's either staying there or falling off, and continuing to drive in traffic is much more dangerous.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    It kind of bothers me that the bus driver kept driving. Yeah, NRA hat is a crazy asshole, but once he's on the hood he's either staying there or falling off, and continuing to drive in traffic is much more dangerous.

I've had to think about that too but the bus driver sort of has a responsibility to the children. There's no idea what that guy is going to do if you stop and let him in. Not to mention we don't know if the bus driver knew that something was thrown from the bus. For all he knows this is a crazy dude trying to attack people.

It's a bad situation all around and i'm not sure what I would have done.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'm not saying let him in, not at all. I just assumed the driver could keep him out, but maybe NRA hat could have pried the doors open from the outside if the bus was stopped.

Edit: I looked up the story and the bus driver was driving slowly to the police station when an off duty officer came along and resolved the situation.

Edit2: the article does not mention what he did with his car. I like to think he just abandoned it at the intersection.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Here in finland we have 2 types of pumps, ones where you have to pay at the pump (card or paper money), and ones where you have to pay inside.
    Where you pay depends on where you filled the tank.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I'm not saying let him in, not at all. I just assumed the driver could keep him out, but maybe NRA hat could have pried the doors open from the outside if the bus was stopped.

Edit: I looked up the story and the bus driver was driving slowly to the police station when an off duty officer came along and resolved the situation.

Edit2: the article does not mention what he did with his car. I like to think he just abandoned it at the intersection.

Bus doors are designed to open easily in case of an accident or disaster. No real way to keep them closed if someone is trying to open them. That bus drivers response seems like the right mix of responsible and kind. Didnt murder/maim the guy in defense, but didnt give the unknown a chance to harm his charges.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Here in finland we have 2 types of pumps, ones where you have to pay at the pump (card or paper money), and ones where you have to pay inside.

Most of the discussion is based on the US, land of the can't-have-nice-things.

• Options

Here in America that system would lead to customers demanding to pay at the pump when they are parked at a pump designated for inside pay, and some demanding to pay while inside for a pump that is designated as pay-at-pump only. Most would just do what they are supposed to, but there is always someone that has to feel special and ruin good things for the rest of us.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

In a world full of dumb complaints, this one gets an honourable mention.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

NRA hat.

Because of course.

Nonsensical Rifle Addiction suffe
    Veevee wrote: »

Here in America that system would lead to customers demanding to pay at the pump when they are parked at a pump designated for inside pay, and some demanding to pay while inside for a pump that is designated as pay-at-pump only. Most would just do what they are supposed to, but there is always someone that has to feel special and ruin good things for the rest of us.

Ignoring people who can't read simple instructions goes a long way here in the Netherlands. Aren't there unmanned gas stations where you can only pay at the pump? In our country manned gasstations are going the way of the dodo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I haven't seen a pump that you can't pay at in years. I don't even know if the stations I go to have employees.

• Options
    edited October 2017

Ignoring people who can't read simple instructions goes a long way here in the Netherlands. Aren't there unmanned gas stations where you can only pay at the pump? In our country manned gasstations are going the way of the dodo.

If by unmanned you mean the store is closed but the pumps are still active for pay-at-pump purchases, yes that is around. If by unmanned you mean a gas pump that is not part of a convenience store with employees, then no, I have not seen that.

Also, ignoring people who can't read and are angrily yelling at you in America can very easily lead to a gun in your face. Gotta keep that in mind.

Veevee on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    This is a bad news & gone right in one blurry image!

2D6o2RM.jpg

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I love that's it's basically the same image

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The carpet is different, so I think it was taken at the cat's home when they went to meet him:

INT. DAY

LIBRARIAN enters parlour. BROWSER the cat is sitting with a reading CHILD.

Librarian: You Browser?

Browser: Used to be. (Takes long drag from catnip cigarette)

Librarian: The Internet has spoken, Mr. Browser. Apparently people think that you are crying face laughing emoji, and letting you go would be crying face unhappy emoji. Also they've been clapping a lot.

Browser: Kid, go get me a milk, and have one yourself.

CHILD leaves.

Browser: Now you listen to me, you dusty-smelling stamp-jockey. I served my library for years getting in the way of restocking trolleys and sitting on the page that you're trying to read for no reason, and for what? The occasional Snapchat from a kid whose phone you hadn't confiscated, and being kicked to the kerb like yesterday's poop in a bag when some fat cat on the board decided that I was no longer needed. And now you come crawling back like I owe you a damn thing?

Librarian: Heh, fat cat, I get it.

Browser: Shut the fuck up. I've got a new life now. I teach underprivileged kids how to read. That's my life now.

Librarian: It's been two days.

Browser: That's a long time from a cat perspective. Now get out. I got a latchkey kid I need to make fall in love with the written word by suppertime. Also I need to take five naps.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

If by unmanned you mean the store is closed but the pumps are still active for pay-at-pump purchases, yes that is around. If by unmanned you mean a gas pump that is not part of a convenience store with employees, then no, I have not seen that.

Also, ignoring people who can't read and are angrily yelling at you in America can very easily lead to a gun in your face. Gotta keep that in mind.

We have gasstations without employees or convenience stores. Humans only show up for maintenance and refilling the underground tanks.

And that gun in the face stuff isn't a problem over here. We luckily don't suffer from NRA.
    https://youtu.be/a-o9pwWUzz0

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What kind of monster fires a mascot animal?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Allergies?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Allergies?

Monster!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    So, about those large gas stations. Not the small roadside ones with a set of islands, but the ones that have four or more islands with two pumps on each side. For years the only one of those I used was a Costco gas station and it was nice, orderly and efficient because there was one way in, one way out, and the pumps were long enough that you could easily reach around the car if your gas tank was on the opposite side from the pump.

But large gas stations that don't have those features? You take your life in your hands because those are basically Thunderdome.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Also, maybe I paid at the pump but I want a drink or snack from inside, I'm such a monster for leaving my car at the pump while I do that instead of starting it, moving it 4 feet, and turning it off again...

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

It was a budgetary issue, according to their accountant:

0PKP9cp.png

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Cash at the gas station was fine. Great, even, especially if it was $5s and $10s and not $20s, $50s, or that jackass who buys a donut to break $100 right at the start of your shift and you tell them you can't possibly change that and they get all pissy.

The bad people were the ones who wrote checks to pay for their gas.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

Unless you don't have a card

Also places that only do prepay unless you're doing pay at the pump deserve ire

The worst I ran into was a row 6 pumps long. A guy pulls up to the first pump, his friend that was following him pulls up along side him and chats with him the entire time he's filling up blocking access to all the pumps ahead of them.

This was the first time I think I may have experienced road rage because by the time the assholes finally left I was beginning to seriously contemplate how badly ramming the idiot that packed next to his friend would damage my car.

The degree of obliviousness here is baffling to me.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    The bad people were the ones who wrote checks to pay for anything involving a line and clerk.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Cash at the gas station was fine. Great, even, especially if it was $5s and $10s and not $20s, $50s, or that jackass who buys a donut to break $100 right at the start of your shift and you tell them you can't possibly change that and they get all pissy.

The bad people were the ones who wrote checks to pay for their gas.

We were straight up allowed to refuse sales if someone was buying something that cheap and tried to pay with a bill that large. Sometimes a person would buy a very small amount of gas and try to break a $50 or $100. We were allowed to ask them to wait until we could break it, or take down their information and ask that they return by the end of the shift. If they did not return we would write it up as a drive off. And if corporate wanted to (and they did), a police report would be filed as well. I'd say 9 times out of 11 the person would then just happen to find a more reasonable bill to pay for their $5 gas purchase. The other 2 times they would wait and bitch the whole time. Hey human, I'm working at the type of establishment that gets robbed rather frequently. I'm not keeping a bunch of cash in the register to not inconvenience you for your poor planning. Keeping too much cash in a register was a safety risk for me and the other employees. Next time tell your bank teller you want smaller bills. I know this is a thing you can do because back then I had to do it every time I cashed my paycheck.

Speaking of the cat mascot. For awhile at that gas station we had a kitten mascot. It pretty much lived in the dumpster section of our store and the McDonald's next door. I was going to give it a forever home but I was never able to find her. I like to think she wandered to the nearby apartments and someone took her in.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

Also, maybe I paid at the pump but I want a drink or snack from inside, I'm such a monster for leaving my car at the pump while I do that instead of starting it, moving it 4 feet, and turning it off again...

Well, yeah, at a busy gas station, definitely. It's incredibly inconsiderate.

This discussion has been closed.