Options

[No Man's Sky] Your Universe Awaits, and wants you to pick up some stuff on the way

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Space stations really need to be more useful. Let me refuel/repair my ship for units at a space station. Let me view the galaxy map. Get rid of the resource purchase limit - it's a single player game, who cares.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Space stations really need to be more useful. Let me refuel/repair my ship for units at a space station. Let me view the galaxy map. Get rid of the resource purchase limit - it's a single player game, who cares.

It really is kind of stupid for an entire space station to only have 10% of a stack of spaceship fuel to sell.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Well did you land on the tiny planet or what?!

I investigated it a bit more

It's only one planet, but for some reason it won't render its terrain until you're relatively close to it, so that from a distance it's just a sphere of clouds

And then for some reason, possibly related to the first thing, it renders the halation on of its atmosphere twice

Or to put it another way,

(That screenshot was taken from its moon)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    TWO RAINBOWS

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Mein gott

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Finally something in the sky that I could scan: Giant Slow Flying Eels!
    od5rz20maw2b.jpg
    Who's a good dog? (of 5.15m tall :wink: )
    reav4wj0fp7h.jpg

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I feel like the sky animals have the least amount of variety compared to land/water stuff. Maybe mostly it's because you can't really get a good look at them without going into the database, but it seems like it's just birds or eels

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I feel like the sky animals have the least amount of variety compared to land/water stuff. Maybe mostly it's because you can't really get a good look at them without going into the database, but it seems like it's just birds or eels

There's parts from moth-like creatures too.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    YOU HAVE UNREDEEMED ITEMS DID YOU KNOW THAT CARL

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I was attacked the other day by some weird giant horned frog creature with claws and weee tiny insect-like wings. I killed it real good.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    YOU HAVE UNREDEEMED ITEMS DID YOU KNOW THAT CARL
    Really? Thanks for informing me! :biggrin:

No, I still hadn't redeemed the preorder spaceship, and I already had a 23 slot ship before I left the first system.
    So now, while I have a 48 slot spaceship, I decided to try to redeem it (I did backup my save just to be sure).

Result:
    • If you redeem, and do compare and then leave, it is still considered unredeemed, and the message will keep annoying you.
    • If you redeem, and do compare and then accept, it will replace your current ship (including gear and slots!)
    • So I reloaded my old save, and my 48 slot ship now had the preorder skin model, but only the skin/cockpit, it still has the 48 slots.
    • I looked for a crashed spaceship, switch to the crashed spaceship, redeemed by preorder spaceship with less slots, then walked to my original spaceship with 48 slots and swapped again. So I now have my 48 slots spaceship with equipment and no annoying message. But I am stuck with the preorder model for the moment (which is pretty okay I guess)

I also met a Narwhalbear (or Unicornbear?):
    8ttwk5bu2zr3.jpg

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I think the ship appearance bug goes away after a couple of hours?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    the a.v. club write-up is spot on - perhaps the best 'review' i've read yet
    It may sound like a tall order considering the game’s scale, but No Man’s Sky works best when you’re willing to meet it halfway. Like the psychedelic book covers that inspired it, it’s evocative of science-fiction themes without describing anything restrictively specific, and some meaning of your own has to be projected onto it before it will make sense. Above all else, it requires a proper commitment of time. It’s as much a hobby as it is a game: an activity that requires patience, diligence, and the capacity to be awed by sights that are quietly profound. The experience won’t suit every temperament, but to give up on an entire universe for inspiring awe too infrequently or for not inspiring the specific awe you’d prefer would be like abandoning bird-watching after a single hour without an exciting specimen. As Carl Sagan said, “Imagination will often carry us towards worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere.”

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Has anyone found just a good ol' fashioned flying saucer type ship with a bubble top?

This game is like larping Spaceman Spiff sometimes.

• Options
    Quick tip for anyone trying to get that "scan all life on a planet" trophy.

You can get credit for a planet even if it's uninhabited.

It will show 100% in the little window in your menu (because there's no life). Just hold X on it, like you would if you'd completed a planet to get the units, and it will count towards your number of fully explored planets.

It's bugged though, and you can't do it again until you land on another unexplored planet. So you can't just go through and activate all the uninhabited planets you've already discovered. But it's better than scanning tons of stuff.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    What makes it worth it to go through black holes and have ship upgrades broken? They don't seem to get me closer to the center than I can go in a single jump.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    What makes it worth it to go through black holes and have ship upgrades broken? They don't seem to get me closer to the center than I can go in a single jump.

if you've finished the atlas path
    you can see all black holes marked on your galaxy map, meaning you can make a big warp leap to a black hole right on the edge of your range then double up by jumping through it quickly

i also read that maybe the measurements for lightyears are slightly messed up and that it might be understating the distance you actually travel in a black hole

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    The distance it says I've traveled after going through a hole is huge, but the distance to center of the star I arrive at isn't that much less. I guess it takes me to the other side of the galaxy.

Stocking up on warp cells just isn't hard enough that I'd rather go through a black hole and get my warp upgrades broken.

• Options
    yeah. i don't mind it because at least it gives you a little job to do when you arrive... otherwise you'll just breeze through without seeing anything

that said, why my cannon damage theta? omegon is a bugger to source when you need it

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezz wrote: »
    yeah. i don't mind it because at least it gives you a little job to do when you arrive... otherwise you'll just breeze through without seeing anything

that said, why my cannon damage theta? omegon is a bugger to source when you need it
    You haven't salvaged the pieces of crashed ships just for fun, money and materials? That's the best way I've figured out to get Omegon...

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    So people are discovering now that the things you name in this game get wiped after a set period of time.

Folks are flying back to their home planet for something to do to find it all gone. Everything is still logged for them, but their mark on the universe has vanished without them being told.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Might that have something to with patches?

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Actually scratch that?

Planet and system names stick but flora and fauna names seem to have vanished for some people?

I suspect I may have parroted some bad reporting, here.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Scott Manley clearly hates this game and it's heartbreaking to see him express it because he doesn't know how to be negative.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Actually scratch that?

Planet and system names stick but flora and fauna names seem to have vanished for some people?

From what I have seen, it seems like:

Everything in your log is preserved. If you open the discoveries page, the animals and plants and rocks you've found and named will be there, marked as discovered, with whatever name you gave them.
    The "discovered" state is kept. If you discovered something, system, planet, flora, fauna, whatever, that discovery status is kept and shared.

Planet and system names are kept.

Anything on a planet that you have named will no longer have that name.

• Options
    It seems like if they want to implement some sort of waypoint/map system that isn't entirely useless, they should do away with the whole naming systems/planets thing altogether.

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Dys wrote: »
    Actually scratch that?

From what I have seen, it seems like:

Everything in your log is preserved. If you open the discoveries page, the animals and plants and rocks you've found and named will be there, marked as discovered, with whatever name you gave them.
    The "discovered" state is kept. If you discovered something, system, planet, flora, fauna, whatever, that discovery status is kept and shared.

Planet and system names are kept.

Anything on a planet that you have named will no longer have that name.

it's more likely that people were uploading and naming a lot of stuff with the server disconnected and not noticing at the time. it's still a bug in the game that makes your discovery appear preserved when it's not

fwiw i returned to my home planet at one stage and there were no issues

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

if you've finished the atlas path
    you can see all black holes marked on your galaxy map, meaning you can make a big warp leap to a black hole right on the edge of your range then double up by jumping through it quickly

i also read that maybe the measurements for lightyears are slightly messed up and that it might be understating the distance you actually travel in a black hole

If by "messed up" you mean "off by a factor of 4", then yes, the jump numbers are messed up.

It's easy to see when you have the theta warp drive upgrade. Just jump 1500ly towards the center, then compare the distance to center numbers before and after. It will show somewhere around 350 for that jump. Black holes will shoot you a huge distance, but mostly sideways, making roughly 1300-1600ly of progress.

So your options for the center are either

400-450+ regular max distance warp jumps

Or

120-150 blackhole-warp jumps that will break something every time.

• Options
    Okay, that would make black holes worth it. I hadn't looked closely at the distance to center of my warps, just the linear distance.

• Options
    Basically either the linear distance displayed is false, or the distance from center is.

Then again, this game still has height/weight measurements swapped so who knows. It's not like they've been putting out patch notes other than the day 1 stuff

• Options
    I should really learn not to do anything for the first few seconds when I jump out of my ship (on PS4) because then it quite often crashes... Where is that 1.0.6 patch?

And Ialso should not not to switch the lamp post off instead of saving, because I do that all the time...

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Someone spoiler me for this please

Is the center not at the same spot for everyone?

Peas on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    The milestones/trophies seem to be poorly considered and not at all equivalent to each other in dedication required. The units gained gold is achieved with an amount that barely pays for half a mid tier ship upgrade while the extreme survival is perhaps the worst designed trophy in recent memory (requiring 8 consecutive hours spent on a single planet.) Thankfully the milestones for 100% animals scanned can be gained by reporting planets with no animals.

• Options
    they just put out a big patch on ps4, among other things apparently they did fix the gek transmission tower exploit. Wonder if they caught the dead planet/moon 100% scan bug too.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Ah, they made it so that you don't have to shoot down a bird to scan it.

But yeah, seems like you can't use lifeless planets for the scanning trophy anymore.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    -SPI- wrote: »
    The milestones/trophies seem to be poorly considered and not at all equivalent to each other in dedication required. The units gained gold is achieved with an amount that barely pays for half a mid tier ship upgrade while the extreme survival is perhaps the worst designed trophy in recent memory (requiring 8 consecutive hours spent on a single planet.) Thankfully the milestones for 100% animals scanned can be gained by reporting planets with no animals.

I saw some comments that the needing to do the survivor trophy all on one planet bug might have been fixed. The broken version is hot bullshit, but that trophy really isn't that bad if it wasn't bugged. Once you have a theta drive and can go to B and O class stars (blue stars), a lot of the crazy resource rich ones are also super deadly. If it was just cumulative the way the rest are, 8 hours might still be a bit much but not too difficult

• Options
    Ah, they made it so that you don't have to shoot down a bird to scan it.

But yeah, seems like you can't use lifeless planets for the scanning trophy anymore.
    Yeah, I just noticed with that 1.0.7 patch that just came in on the PS4 that I can no longer upload dead moons...
    I'm going to do it the hard way then :sad:

I also received a new plan : Health Pack Sigma or something (I already had the Tau and the Theta version for the exosuit)...

And I had my first crash post-patch :sad:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    some shots from my slow, slow journey to the center. one thing that i'm always reminded of playing this game is how you need to get down on ground-level and spend a bit of time there to appreciate the landscapes. it's easy to get depressed and feel like everything's the same and there's nothing going on in the universe when you're in a loop of surveying over terrain and leaving without even letting the environment / fauna / flora details load...'

xqdesOJ.jpg

OGgal1B.jpg

feRk3YK.jpg

miWrCvS.jpg

iaf49nN.jpg

FfvnlCx.jpg

uJrS1iA.jpg

Lc6mhBT.jpg

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I've noticed some pretty bad framerates (mostly while flying the ship) since installing the new patch.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    While the framerstes inside the ship over heavily forested planets has dropped, I noticed that you can now also see the animals on the ground and much farther away...

Three minor things that annoy me:
    1. Hey Carl, thanks for helping me out, here's the plan for Carite Sheets... Really Korvax, really?
    2. Beam into a system, see freighters appear, they are being attacked by 26 (!) attack ships, I help them out by shooting all the attackers. Everything OK. Beam into a system, see freighters, they are being attacked, I accidentally hit a freighter, here's the Sentinel fleet you evil bastard! :eh:
    3. Land on planet, go explore and play Pokemon Snap, fall into a cave, stack up on Vortex Cubes. Mmmm, that ship is a couple of minutes away, you know what, I'll walk to that next question mark and summon my ship there. Result : all you will find are shelters, abandoned buildings, depots and trade globes, but not a single place where I can jam a Bypass Chip in :mad:

This discussion has been closed.