Options

[No Man's Sky] Your Universe Awaits, and wants you to pick up some stuff on the way

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Is there a good way to get Zinc? I keep finding myself in need of it and never have enough. I end up buying it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    yellow flowers

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I found a planet that has those cube things everywhere and am going to just grind up millions and buy the best ship I can.

It's boring, but at least feels like progression.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I didn't find a planet with vortex cubes until after I had hermit crabbed into a maxxed ship.

Kind of takes the fun out of cube hunting when I know I don't really need the money now.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Inx wrote: »
    Is there a good way to get Zinc? I keep finding myself in need of it and never have enough. I end up buying it.

click L3 to initiate the scanner. it will locate things on the HUD - yellow zinc flowers appear as small yellow squares with a block icon. you've got to be on a fairly flora-rich planet

FYI zinc is super efficient at refuelling hazard protection shields, while titanium is incredibly efficient for ship shields

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I found a planet that has those cube things everywhere and am going to just grind up millions and buy the best ship I can.

It's boring, but at least feels like progression.

A 48 slot ship is like

millions upon millions

don't do that to your life. you're going to die one day.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh hey I just found a planet with these cubes literally everywhere. Sentinels are pretty lax too.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    fastest way to get max slot ships costs 0 money

just find a gek system, find a transmission tower, repeatedly activate the same tower as many times as you like. Go from crashed ship to crashed ship, transferring to every one that has more slots than your current one until you get to 48. Every ship is either +1 or -1 slots compared to whatever ship you're currently using, and it doesn't decide how many slots each ship has until you physically walk up to the ships and activate them. Deconstruct higher level upgrades along the way so you have plenty of resources to repair/build upgrades on the final ship.

it's definitely an exploit, sure, but when the alternative is grinding venom sacs/cubes/balls nonstop for literally days I'll take it

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Why a Gek system? Is this space racism?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    agoaj wrote: »
    Why a Gek system? Is this space racism?

the other ones aren't bugged. Vy'keen and korvax transmission towers deactivate after you use then once, gek ones don't for some reason. It's even the same number puzzle every time, so you just put in the same answer like 20 times.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    the other thing is that you don't actually need a 48-slot ship at all. ever, really.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    If you want to install every upgrade and still have cargo space it certainly helps.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    maybe they should have taken a cue from their universe design and made it possible to upgrade to 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 space ship slots

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    It's pretty impressive, that's the first time I've seen evidence of the universe algorithm producing something totally fucked up

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I was in a bad spot when I bought this game, emotionally and physically with a busted wrist so mouse gamin was out.

This game straight sucks

lesson learned

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    learned the Gek word for "thirst"

not really looking forward to that conversation

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I was in a bad spot when I bought this game, emotionally and physically with a busted wrist so mouse gamin was out.

This game straight sucks

lesson learned

Ah sorry to hear that.
    Hope ya wrist and your feels, heal up to be less busted feelin' in the future.
    Dope music and shows might be a wrist-easy salve.

I'm a big fan of classic Neil Cicierega for a hot Jam and a laugh
    Auranauts are good too!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Played some of this at my buddy's place this weekend.

I am very glad I didn't spend sixty bucks on this.

I simply cannot give a damn about what's going on. The basic gameplay loop seems to be "dig up some stuff, build upgrades, sell the junk to a trader" and I don't give a damn that I'm doing it in a pink solar system. Why is it pink, by the way? I cannot investigate this phenomena.

My friend, who is all about this game, keeps introducing me to elements of it that he acknowledges are awful; here's some awkward gunfighting! here's some painfully uninteresting ship combat! Here's a menu where you have to hold down the mouse button to select something.

We spent thirty minutes looking for a place to empty the inventory so we could spend five minutes filling it back up again.

It's like an amazing tech demo bolted onto the back of a totally uninspired single player survival game circa right after Minecraft broke a million in units sold.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Ah procedurally generated somethings running amok.

I remember those days.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Do you know the words for "blood" "of" and "infidels" yet?

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Played some of this at my buddy's place this weekend.

I am very glad I didn't spend sixty bucks on this.

I simply cannot give a damn about what's going on.

people keep talking about how "this will get better with age," etc, with added features or whatever, which may be true. but fundamentally i think it's targeted a very specific experience that a lot of people just don't get. frankly, if you're uninterested in the aesthetics of the landscapes, there will never be a good reason to play no man's sky. for me, i am so grateful that hello games spent as much time working with complementary colour schemes as they did with realistic economies, combat engines or ship physics. that's not facetious, though i'm sure there's a certain school of players who would assume it is. it's genuine praise for a team who have set out to create a machine for beauty, and then thrown a game on top to sell it.

it's an art game. simple as that. visual art is in its immediate pitch and premise. whether an 'art game' can be worth full-price is a different question. all i can say is that it was unquestionably worth it for me.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    I'm been looking into the mods for the game (I haven't bought the game yet, but may for the modding community). It looks with a little leg work (Less if Hello Games released the tool) modding is going to be a breeze.

The game engine publicly exposes it's objects, which are editable with XML files. For those not big on computer data systems, XML is kind of like a "universal file format" that is human-readable and can be edited with something as simple as Notepad.

The problem is that the NMS's XML data has been "serialized" or converted into a packed format made for computers to better handle. Work needs to be done to convert these files back to human-readable XML (a process called called "unmarshalling" or"demarshalling") normally marshalling is done automatically by the computer, but as we are lacking a "map" of the data, it has to be done, annoyingly, by hand.

No Mans Sky has a lot of data to go though.

The good news is, once the XML has been manually demarshalled it's human readable again and modding is super simple. It's just going to take time to get though all of the thousands of files. If Hello Games released the tool to allow us to demarshal the files automatically, you will see an explosion of mods for the game.

Please, don't bin this game. Things are going to get cool an a few months.

Here's a snippit of demarshalled global XML data.
    <Property name="SkipIntro" value="False" />
    <Property name="VideoCaptureMode" value="False" />
    <Property name="GodMode" value="False" />
    <Property name="DisableVibration" value="False" />
    <Property name="MapWarpCheckIgnoreFuel" value="False" />
    <Property name="MapWarpCheckIgnoreDrive" value="False" />
    <Property name="EverythingIsFree" value="False" />
    <Property name="EverythingIsKnown" value="False" />
    <Property name="EverythingIsStar" value="False" />
    <Property name="UseScreenEffects" value="True" />
    <Property name="UseGunImpactEffect" value="True" />
    <Property name="RenderCreatureDetails" value="False" />
    <Property name="ScreenWidth" value="1920" />
    <Property name="ScreenHeight" value="1080" />
    <Property name="DisableVSync" value="False" />
    <Property name="GameWindowMode" value="Bordered" />
    <Property name="Monitor" value="0" />
    <Property name="ForceUniverseAddress" value="" />
    <Property name="ForcePlayerPosition" value="" />
    <Property name="ForceInitialShip" value="True" />
    <Property name="ForceInitialWeapon" value="True" />
    <Property name="GameStateMode" value="UserStorage" />
    <Property name="BootMode" value="SolarSystem" />
    <Property name="PlayerSpawnLocationOverride" value="OnGameStartPlanet" />

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

But you'll finally be able to read the Buzzfeed Gek list "14 Geks to Make You Thirsty."

• Options
    edited August 2016
    things are definitely getting interesting as i start to head toward the center, even after just a few black hole jumps. this planet was crazy cool (sorry for dodgy facebook mobile quality):

X0XD3DL.jpg

this system had no copper whatsoever - nor did the one after it. seriously, not even for trade. finally found some after my third jump, so i wound up tonight on this planet that's basically just massive mountains:

x39zANU.jpg

now, what broke this time around again? let's hope this place has nickel...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »

These are the tenets of a philosophy that I would like to subscribe to. Only, in the philosophy they'd all be set to "True", obvs.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    So I landed on a planet with excellant flora and fauna; I thought: "Let's try and get all critters here scanned".

I made a big mistake, because the whole planet is covered in grass/leaves that are about chest-high...
    So after shooting down 17 birdlike creatures, I finally found a corpse back to scan :lol:

And then I noticed there was another birdlike flying creature...

Well, I got the two flyers scanned, only 2 more to go; I haven't spotted any aggro-crabspiders near cave yet, nor an aggrogoat, so I hope I get attacked by the wildlife soon :lol:

I managed to pluck an Atlaspass v2 out of a Manufacturing Plant or Operations Centre, so I opened the doors in those centers, only to find a shield station behind them? Well, lots of rooms with not much interactable behind it :eh:

Though I don't know what the AtlasPasses will add, as I am already fully 48-24-48 slotted...
    I hope AP v3 gives a room with warp cells or something...

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

Well did you land on the tiny planet or what?!

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    halkun wrote: »

These are the tenets of a philosophy that I would like to subscribe to. Only, in the philosophy they'd all be set to "True", obvs.

What an insidious hell #2 being True would be.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    It's actually out-of-order, and the correct order represents a stepping up in terms of a poetic oneness with the universe:
    1) Everything is Star - We are all base matter, but we are all of equal worth, from an atom to a bug to a human to a star.
    2) Everything is Known - You can see the rules that guide creation.
    3) Everything is Free - There are no limits.

The final step, the Nirvana, is when your sense of self dissolves and you become a portion of the Grand Procedural Generator that sets creation in motion.

BRB, printing up some fliers and filing for tax exemption status.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    so am i the only idiot who didn't realise the title was a play on "no man's land"

*hands in his english teacher badge and gun*

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    do you guys remember when i posted the image of a strange monolith a while back?

things are getting interesting

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    so am i the only idiot who didn't realise the title was a play on "no man's land"

*hands in his english teacher badge and gun*

I saw what I'm assuming/hoping was a clickbait article asking why it wasn't called 'No Woman's Sky', so no you weren't.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    do you guys remember when i posted the image of a strange monolith a while back?

I found one of these last night, there was no obvious way to interact with it.

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »

I found one of these last night, there was no obvious way to interact with it.

there are assets in the game files for active portals apparently

there are enough vestigial / not thoroughly implemented features in the game that you could assume these towers fall into the same category, but this is a pretty cool mystery all the same.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Am I correct in assuming that there are a lot of features that haven't been implemented?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that there are a lot of features that haven't been implemented?

depends if you're going by that one trailer with the giant snake in it

edit: there are some features that feel half finished for sure. observatories tell you about locations on distant stars, but lead you five minutes over the hill; freighters have docking bays that can't be docked in. the edges are still rough. otherwise it's as expected, and as recently demonstrated: mine, trade, battle, discover, explore...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote: »

Definitely, Sean talked a big game through every interview and trailer but most of what is shown was either changed or removed

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I've seen a few of those strange monoliths.

This discussion has been closed.