As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Your Universe Awaits, and wants you to pick up some stuff on the way

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Man, I literally tried avoiding other players and failed within days.
    It was a huge bummer that all the players spawned basically across the block from each other.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I put over 50 hours in and only found another player's discoveries once, and didn't even notice it at the time because they hadn't renamed anything.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    No Man's Sky update 1.1 "The Foundation Update" is here.

https://youtu.be/hI9PvjJJijY

Sounds a lot like what No Man's Sky should've been at release and adds improvements to a lot of the things in the game I didn't like. Also sounds like this will the first update of more to come. A "foundation" for what the game might look like in the future. Thoughts?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I didn't understand the point of base building when it was announced

I still don't think I do

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Well in Minecraft the idea of a base stems from the survival aspect. There's so much that can attack you at night that you need a safe spot that's lit with a torch so you can survive the night in a monster free area. Then you'll naturally want to expand this base with a bed and maybe a chest for storing stuff and a crafting table and hey maybe even turn it into a bitchin' castle or recreate a cool building or create a town.

I agree that in normal mode for No Man's Sky though there really isn't anything that can threaten or harass you the way creatures in Minecraft can but if survival mode is designed well (which i'm honestly pretty skeptical on) building a base on a homeworld might be necessary in the same way as a base in Minecraft is at least until you can afford to buy a freighter.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Having a freighter sounds cool

Having a freighter in a boring ass game like NMS sounds significantly less cool

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm interested, but given how obscenely expensive buying a new ship was in the base game I am concerned that they describe freighters being bought "at great expense".

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Still doesn't seem like there's anything worthwhile to discover. I guess Survival mode might add more of a push forward other than "I want to see the next randomly generated landscape" but it doesn't sound especially compelling.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'm interested, but given how obscenely expensive buying a new ship was in the base game I am concerned that they describe freighters being bought "at great expense".

Is the great expense reinstalling NMS?

(I don't hold it against anyone if they enjoy NMS, more power to you. But maaaaaaan is this game my Most Disappointing of 2016)

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    -SPI- wrote: »

I got bored of grinding to the better ships waaaay before I could get one.

I'm not sure freighters would be any different

E: and I think that's the crux. I'm really not sure if any of these changes will make the main gameplay loop more fun

101 on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'm reinstalling on PS4 to check out the changes. Could be cool.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It definitely seems like a game that might be best on PC if only cause you can skip or change whatever you don't like about it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I wasn't really expecting this update to fix the problem of "nothing on any of the planets is interesting once you've played for more than a couple hours"

It's just really confusing to me that this is the direction they're going with their first update because I don't feel like it addresses the biggest issue. I guess potentially getting more storage space is something.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I didn't understand the point of base building when it was announced

I still don't think I do

They said you can declare a home planet.

So presumably you'll be able to travel back there more easily?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I wasn't really expecting this update to fix the problem of "nothing on any of the planets is interesting once you've played for more than a couple hours"

It's just really confusing to me that this is the direction they're going with their first update because I don't feel like it addresses the biggest issue. I guess potentially getting more storage space is something.
    A whole lot of people were expecting NMS to be more like Minecraft or other survival games and while I agree a lack of interesting content is problem number one, it is a very smart move on their part to have the first update be one that brings it closer in line with those survival game expectations.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Its neat that they're adding so much, and their base building system looks cool but yeah, dunno how it makes the game more fun.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It all just goes to show that what came out in August should've had an Early Access tag on it

Have it be the launch of Sony having early access games on PS4 and only charge $40 (with a notice that it will eventually go up to $60) and the entire narrative changes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Did they add a way to travel to previously traveled systems? I didn't see any mention other than maybe implying you could do it to your base.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

Just a bunch of guys hanging out on the space station together.

Then I flew to a freighter and found out it was way too expensive for me to buy yet, so I went to another planet I hadn't surveyed in the system. But on the way some pirates attacked another group of frigates so I saved them and got to go on-board there and get a reward from the captain.

I haven't done any base-building yet because I want to find a good planet for it but already the game feels more alive.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    can you co-op with people too yet?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    can you co-op with people too yet?

I don't know if that's ever going to be in the game.

But one of the buildable things they've added is a communications terminal where you can leave messages that other players will be able to read.

I haven't figured out how to do build stuff yet so I don't know if there's limitations on what kind of message you can leave.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Hey hello. As a dork who still likes No Man's Sky this appeals to me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Does it prompt you to build something at some point?

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    Does it prompt you to build something at some point?

You can find habitable bases that you can claim and it sets it as your home base/home world and then it starts a big ol' quest chain for you to hire people and get crafting blueprints and stuff.

I assume that habitable bases can be found anywhere because the first one I found was on a real shithole of a world that had non-stop acid rain. Obviously, I waited until I found a better planet.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Planetbound bases....pffft. Mobile bases would make more sense for this game. I want to build a giant mothership so I can go from planet to planet stripping it of it's natural resources before moving on to the next. Kind of like the aliens in Independence Day.

• Options
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Planetbound bases....pffft. Mobile bases would make more sense for this game. I want to build a giant mothership so I can go from planet to planet stripping it of it's natural resources before moving on to the next. Kind of like the aliens in Independence Day.

That's what freighters are. They're in the game now too.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    The only thing I resent about this game, is that this new content wasn't there when I didn't have two jobs...

• Options
    This update will probably get me to reinstall the game.

Specifically because of freighters.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Important freighter question: can you park multiple personal spacecraft in one?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Important freighter question: can you park multiple personal spacecraft in one?
    It looks like it had the space for it, so I am gonna guess yes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I haven't checked, but it kinda looked to me like the groundwork for a future patch that would allow multiple owned spacecraft. I feel like they'd have mentioned it if you could have more than one ship now.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    This update will probably get me to reinstall the game.

Specifically because of freighters.

Yeah. A planet centered base has no appeal to me, but a freighter-base sounds totally cool.

• Options
    The freighter has room for multiple ships and I think NPC ships will land on it like a space station, but for the moment you still only have one personal craft. Maybe that will be in another update.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    My brother describes Survival mode as "as callous as STALKER"

also, "Survival mode, in fact, gives negative fucks about you".

He is a big, big fan of the update.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The freighter has room for multiple ships and I think NPC ships will land on it like a space station, but for the moment you still only have one personal craft. Maybe that will be in another update.

That second tweet reads like it's from a man who has learned a painful lesson.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I actually have a lot of faith in Hello Games, still. They're obviously very passionate, creative people. That just needs to translate into making an engrossing and interesting gameplay experience.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm unironically hoping that Joe Danger 3 is next

• Options
    Honestly I think the biggest problems with No Man's Sky were:

1) No QA before release.
    2) Letting the creative director do marketing.

I think Hello Games have learned from those two things and are definitely trying to rectify the game.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Well at the very least the base building is very intuitive and easy to figure out. But I have yet to figure out how to move very close to the middle of the galaxy though, as the "atlas interference" path goes in the exact opposite direction, and the stuff off planet is still completely uninteresting so far.

Gonna keep at it another few hours and see if something clicks.

This discussion has been closed.