As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] The fix for that Stompy Bot craving.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    New PTS Wave 3: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/235952-pts-energy-draw-sept-1/

AC's got unnerfed energy values. Gauss also got a bit of an energy deduction. UACs have lower jam chance, but longer jams. PPCs back to 1:1 energy, Clan ERPPC has 15 pinpoint damage (boo) but 1 second longer cooldown. Lasers got a pretty big sweep: less energy per damage, except now Large Lasers have lower damage overall. This seems like it will increase the number of builds using 3-5 Large Lasers instead of making smaller lasers viable imo, but its not the worst thing I've ever seen PGI put into testing. I don't think Clan Smalls needed any help either while IS smalls should really have their 3 years nerfed heat values put back to TT.

The big winner is IS PPCs in my opinion, LPL is obsolete, and the Clans aren't far behind with a 1 second penalty on CERPPCs which isn't nearly enough for the extra 5 damage. The big loser is the IS ERLL which is now takes as long to fire as a Clan ER but costs more slots, more tonnage, less range and the same damage per heat.

Clans really got it good, hopefully they roll back some of this shit. Get ready for 3-6 CERLL and CLPL builds. 15 tons gets you a 24 damage 24 heat IS ERLL alpha, or load up 12 tons for a 30 damage 30 heat Clan ERLL alpha with more range and only 0.05s more duration. 18 tons gets you a 3 CLPL boat with no heat penalty and 33 damage while IS needs 21 tons for a wimpy 27 damage LPL alpha that takes 33% longer to fire.

Haha, nice. Rabbit season is open with my Shadowcat.

And I assuming the heatsink normalization is still in?

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    New PTS Wave 3: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/235952-pts-energy-draw-sept-1/

AC's got unnerfed energy values. Gauss also got a bit of an energy deduction. UACs have lower jam chance, but longer jams. PPCs back to 1:1 energy, Clan ERPPC has 15 pinpoint damage (boo) but 1 second longer cooldown. Lasers got a pretty big sweep: less energy per damage, except now Large Lasers have lower damage overall. This seems like it will increase the number of builds using 3-5 Large Lasers instead of making smaller lasers viable imo, but its not the worst thing I've ever seen PGI put into testing. I don't think Clan Smalls needed any help either while IS smalls should really have their 3 years nerfed heat values put back to TT.

The big winner is IS PPCs in my opinion, LPL is obsolete, and the Clans aren't far behind with a 1 second penalty on CERPPCs which isn't nearly enough for the extra 5 damage. The big loser is the IS ERLL which is now takes as long to fire as a Clan ER but costs more slots, more tonnage, less range and the same damage per heat.

Clans really got it good, hopefully they roll back some of this shit. Get ready for 3-6 CERLL and CLPL builds. 15 tons gets you a 24 damage 24 heat IS ERLL alpha, or load up 12 tons for a 30 damage 30 heat Clan ERLL alpha with more range and only 0.05s more duration. 18 tons gets you a 3 CLPL boat with no heat penalty and 33 damage while IS needs 21 tons for a wimpy 27 damage LPL alpha that takes 33% longer to fire.

Haha, nice. Rabbit season is open with my Shadowcat.

And I assuming the heatsink normalization is still in?

I'd imagine the heatsink stuff didn't change. Yeah, Shadowcats, Jenner IICs, Hunchback IICs are all gonna be a real pain in the ass. Even 1 CERPPC ACH's are basically going to have an infinite ammo Gauss Rifle, and if you're feeling dumb you can fit 2 and ECM (who needs armor?) Those high hardpoints almost make it viable.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Dual cUAC20s now have 36 power draw.

I might have to buy another Hunchback IIC variant so I can have both a dual guass and dual cUAC20 hunchy.

And see if I can fit 4 cERPPCs on my energy hunchback.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    They could practically double the heat of the CERPPC and the shadowcat could make 2x CERPPC work. The mech was practically designed for the weapon like the A-10 was designed around the GAU-8. It's just so good at dictating the window of engagement that it can disengage to cool down behind hard cover.

There's just a whole list of reasons that the mech is great with CERPPCs.

1: It has three high mounted energy mounts to pick from to equip those CERPPCS that are all superb for going hull down. Either mount them both on the right to tighten up the spread and allow you to corner peek on the right and use your left side as a sacrificial shield, or mount them both in the arms so that you can engage targets at high and low elevations with both guns while preventing the loss of your RT from completely defanging the mech.

2: GECM masks your dorito, making it easier for you to go unnoticed when peeking/poptarting before popping off your shot. Practically a Romulan cloaking device against pubbies.

3: The mech is light enough and can mount enough JJ's that it is one of the only mechs that can still poptart in the classic sense. If memory serves, ~30 pinpoint front loaded damage from poptarting cataphracts was the infamous terror that got JJ's over-nerfed into hover jets in the first place.

4: MASC lets it rapidly accelerate backwards to safety after popping off a shot from a hull down position.

5: IMO the clan Ghost Bear paint scheme is one of the best for breaking up your mech's silhouette. Couple it with some light greys and you can easily blend in to the terrain and distance fog on many maps.

Combine it all together, and you're almost always safe to poke your head out and pop a shot off between the combined benefits of the small silhouette, high mounted weapons, ECM, and great camoflage.

They pretty much need to know where you are in advance to hit you before you get your shots off. Reposition between shots and you're golden.

It doesn't have the endurance to sustain fire in a direct confrontation, but she's pretty much perfect for the oh so common pubbie stalemates where neither side is willing to advance out of hard cover.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I've seen Shadowcats do obscene amounts of damage when they decided to peekaboo instead of facing off directly against the competition and being flattened within ten seconds of contact. Tempted to pick one up. I enjoy peekaboo on my TBR but it is really sluggish in comparison with a gauss/ppc combo.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    The CERPPC raises heat by ~25% on the shadowcat once you have it fully upgraded (or atleast it did last September when I last really played with it).

So depending on the ambient heat, you can generally get ~2 alphas off at max refire rate.

After that you either need to get to cover to cool down or start falling into a rhythm of firing off individual CERPPCs for ~25% heat.

You're not completely useless up close. Unlike the IS and the pants-on-head no damage minimum range, the CERPPC is just as deadly point blank as it is at range. So between those two alphas, that's sixty points of damage you through out. It's not so different to knife fighter small laser spam lights that blitz in for an alpha or two before GTFOing to cooldown. Granted at present it's 40 damage where you aimed it and 20 spread out, but that's still enough to give someone a black eye as you scramble to find an obstacle that you can JJ over but they can't follow.

Here's an old clip of my shadowcat from a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TakUslatAwY

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    That does look like fun!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    I ended up putting 2 LPL on my Shadowcat. It was way too hot with PPCS for my liking.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Too hot?

Who are you and what have you done with hydro?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Too hot?

ERPPC overheating doesn't taste the same to him as ERLL/ERML overheating. It's like Clear Pepsi versus Regular Pepsi.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Hey so what's all this Energy Draw/Consumption stuff?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

The short of it is that PGI is trying a new heat scale system on a test server.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/08/1617-updates-to-energy-draw-pts-23aug2016

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

It's basically a replacement for Ghost Heat, that's applied more universally to individual weapons systems and across weapons systems. E.g., 6MLs + 6SLs (?) = no ghost heat currently; under the new system, it would have a tonne of ghost heat.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It's basically a replacement for Ghost Heat, that's applied more universally to individual weapons systems and across weapons systems. E.g., 6MLs + 6SLs (?) = no ghost heat currently; under the new system, it would have a tonne of ghost heat.

Its ghost heat that does nothing to balance the IS vs Clan system. Just like the last ghost heat system, and every other obscenely over engineered "solutions" they've come up for simple problems.

Its a metric fuckton of engineering and development that will change absolutely nothing because god forbid the clans ever lose their seat on top of fuck you mountain.

• Options
    If the energy reserves didn't replenish so fast, the system would cap clan DPS and IS DPS at about the same levels.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    If the energy reserves didn't replenish so fast, the system would cap clan DPS and IS DPS at about the same levels.

Clans will never be balanced against IS because only Clans buy mech packs, also PGI loves the taste of their dicks.

• Options
    Wow thanks for the super helpful response, Buttcleft. I might have accidentally tried to form my own opinions.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

They cap short term burst about the same, but due to PGI fuckery with cDHS v iDHS combined with cXL v iXL and cEndo v iEndo... well, balance is going to be a long way off.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Clans will never be balanced against IS because only Clans buy mech packs, also PGI loves the taste of their dicks.

Come on Buttcleft, they nerfed jams on UAC2's and 20's to EIGHT seconds! Clans are literally unplayable on the PTS. Clans need ammo switching on LBX's like forty years ago, none of this bs placeholder "AC" business that only Clans and not the IS have to deal with. I mean, they're just struggling to survive with their superior hardpoints, XL engines, half weight missile systems, and lighter Gauss Rifle. Give clanners a break. It was the overpowered laser duration on IS Pulse Lasers that ruined TTK, remember? Not when the Clans got released and suddenly every mech in the game was getting one shot until you front loaded all but 2 points of armor on your torso.

Hey guyz, while you're here, can you rate my 110 alpha damage Dire Wolf with jump jets build?

nonoffensive on
  • Options

Come on Buttcleft, they nerfed jams on UAC2's and 20's to EIGHT seconds! Clans are literally unplayable on the PTS. Clans need ammo switching on LBX's like forty years ago, none of this bs placeholder "AC" business that only Clans and not the IS have to deal with. I mean, they're just struggling to survive with their superior hardpoints, XL engines, half weight missile systems, and lighter Gauss Rifle. Give clanners a break. It was the overpowered laser duration on IS Pulse Lasers that ruined TTK, remember? Not when the Clans got released and suddenly every mech in the game was getting one shot until you front loaded all but 2 points of armor on your torso.

Hey guyz, can you rate my 110 alpha damage Dire Wolf with jump jets build?

There is literally a vein bulging in my forehead to the beat of La Cucaracha.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Wow thanks for the super helpful response, Buttcleft. I might have accidentally tried to form my own opinions.

Buttcleft is very vocal and crude, but he's not wrong.

Clan tech across the board is basically IS tech but smaller, lighter, longer ranged, heavier hitting, etc. Basically IS tech but better is the starting point.

Litterally the only thing keeping the sphere from bring totally eclipsed are fickle quirks that shift and change faster than the landscape in desert sand dunes. Meanwhile the gold standard clan mechs like the timberwolf and stormcrow have been the best mechs in their weight class since their introduction to the game DESPITE the addition of negative quirks that try to water down their clan tech.

Even the best IS quirks have done nothing to address the severe disparity of IS vs Clan XL engine which grants the Clans a huge advantage in workable tonnage without any real defensive disadvantage, while the IS XL engine is a massive Achilles heel.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Buttcleft is very vocal and crude, but he's not wrong.

Clan tech across the board is basically IS tech but smaller, lighter, longer ranged, heavier hitting, etc. Basically IS tech but better is the starting point.

Litterally the only thing keeping the sphere from bring totally eclipsed are fickle quirks that shift and change faster than the landscape in desert sand dunes. Meanwhile the gold standard clan mechs like the timberwolf and stormcrow have been the best mechs in their weight class since their introduction to the game DESPITE the addition of negative quirks that try to water down their clan tech.

Even the best IS quirks have done nothing to address the severe disparity of IS vs Clan XL engine which grants the Clans a huge advantage in workable tonnage without any real defensive disadvantage, while the IS XL engine is a massive Achilles heel.

Ok but none of that has anything to do with answering my question, or with how concisely my question was answered by the poster above.

This is like if I asked "Hey guys, what's this Cronut I've been hearing about" and the response I got was "Dunkin donuts will never make a Donut that is better than krispy kreme, they just suck their own dicks etc.etc.etc.

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Clans were always meant to be over powered and broken.

They were also meant to be balanced by being severely limited in how they engage in war and in numbers.

PGI Took all their power, with no drawbacks, and threw them in MWO and went "loldone". And on top of that they gave them shit that clans have no business using either, like Long Tom fucking artillery in FW, and arty strikes in general in pugqueue.

The only people who claim clans are not grossly overpowered and catastrophically unbalanced.. are the diehard clanners themselves.. who only cry such crocodile tears to maintain their massive advantage.. Because shooting fish in a barrel is a apparently a sport to them.

And of course PGI makes absolutely no attempt to hide their blatant favoritism.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Too hot?

ERPPC overheating doesn't taste the same to him as ERLL/ERML overheating. It's like Clear Pepsi versus Regular Pepsi.

This is fairly accurate. Lasers provide a less sharp heat spike. PPCS just pop you up over the threshold instantly.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    That's not really anything particular to you or your question, Elba. Everyone gets that, after any question.

I understand that it is traditional. This is the saltiest place on earth and Buttcleft is its Cerberus.

-

I like ppc heat spikes best. Lasers give me that sense of encroaching doom, while ppcs just get it over with.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    That's not really anything particular to you or your question, Elba. Everyone gets that, after any question.

I understand that it is traditional. This is the saltiest place on earth and Buttcleft is its Cerberus.

-

I like ppc heat spikes best. Lasers give me that sense of encroaching doom, while ppcs just get it over with.

You haven't been to reddit have you?

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    That's just a tire fire, not a salt mine.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Too hot?

This is fairly accurate. Lasers provide a less sharp heat spike. PPCS just pop you up over the threshold instantly.

I try not to eyeball the heat meter with the cerppc cat. It has one type of weapon and only generates X heat per shot on any specific map. So I only need to remember two numbers. The heat level where it is safe to fire an alpha, and the level where it is safe to fire a single ppc. It will spike instantly, but I will never shut down if I check my heat against those two numbers before firing. I try to only overshoot the shutdown mark if I know it will be a kill shot or if the ballistic arc of my jump will carry my now shut down mech behind hard cover.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »

But nothing I said was untrue, not even from certain points of view. So I am more..Factshund than Hellhound :rotate:

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I still love all of you. :D<3

• Options
    The feedback on the MWO forums looks fairly reasonable compared to /r/outreachhpg where everyone immediately jumped on the 8 second jam = Clans ruined train. I'm pretty sure the Jam mechanic is global and they can't actually customize it for each UAC similar to how the Gauss mechanic is linked. I agree that they should probably just remove the placeholder Clan ACs, or give them less projectiles per shot.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, the whole fact that clan exist in a 12v12 game is kind of weird. Clan was never supposed to be balanced against IS in a 1v1 manner. Pound for pound Clan is always better mechanically, by intentional design. They are balanced in universe by things like lore and logistics, things that aren't enforceable or don't exist in a 12v12 fps.

Because they couldn't bring in the things from tabletop that balance clan, they shouldn't have brought in their gear mechanically from the tabletop.

And now obviously they can't just nerf clan down to IS levels because people have dropped $$$ on clan. Probably the best solution would be to buff IS across the board to clan levels. But I doubt they'll ever do it.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, the whole fact that clan exist in a 12v12 game is kind of weird. Clan was never supposed to be balanced against IS in a 1v1 manner. Pound for pound Clan is always better mechanically, by intentional design. They are balanced in universe by things like lore and logistics, things that aren't enforceable or don't exist in a 12v12 fps.

Because they couldn't bring in the things from tabletop that balance clan, they shouldn't have brought in their gear mechanically from the tabletop.

And now obviously they can't just nerf clan down to IS levels because people have dropped $$$ on clan. Probably the best solution would be to buff IS across the board to clan levels. But I doubt they'll ever do it.

people have dropped $$$ on IS and have repeatedly gotten their mechs made shittier and shittier.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

people have dropped $$$ on IS and have repeatedly gotten their mechs made shittier and shittier.

So buff them and then they feel better about having dropped their $$$.

• Options

So buff them and then they feel better about having dropped their $$$.

Only two ways PGI "balances" the game.

by improving clans, and by nerfing IS.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    The thing that bothers me re: is vs clan is that I can look over my stable of clan mechs and pick which one I want to play without much concern because it's a solid mech even if it's not at the top of the pile, and I can expect to do well with it in most situations.

When I look over my IS mechs I have to weigh out fun vs effective AND hope I get a map that works with the mech I choose. Hope I don't get polar or alpine in my 2x AC/20 Jaeger because I don't have the space for any real backup weapons and even if I could squeeze a pair of medium lasers in that is still the same effective range as my AC/20s. Never mind that the XL required for that build is instant death if hit, it's also behind the two spots with the thinnest front facing armor.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    The poor CTF-0XP. Not even ECM could make the Cataphract viable. :(

The 1X and 4X were so fun back in the day.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Still got my quad-AC5 Caraphract just gathering dust in my hangar. It never performed well...but it was certainly fun to pilot.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Still got my quad-AC5 Caraphract just gathering dust in my hangar. It never performed well...but it was certainly fun to pilot.

I was able to make magic in that thing. So fun.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »
    The thing that bothers me re: is vs clan is that I can look over my stable of clan mechs and pick which one I want to play without much concern because it's a solid mech even if it's not at the top of the pile, and I can expect to do well with it in most situations.

When I look over my IS mechs I have to weigh out fun vs effective AND hope I get a map that works with the mech I choose. Hope I don't get polar or alpine in my 2x AC/20 Jaeger because I don't have the space for any real backup weapons and even if I could squeeze a pair of medium lasers in that is still the same effective range as my AC/20s. Never mind that the XL required for that build is instant death if hit, it's also behind the two spots with the thinnest front facing armor.

That's really why the original quirk pass was so exciting. The winning mech that actually got some quirks had a real niche. They couldn't excel at everything, but you knew if you built around the quirks you could beat a Clan mech. Unfortunately, half the IS roster got nothing, and certain builds like the TDR-9S, 5SS, and Stalker 4N dominated a really narrow playstyle. Instead of making small changes, PGI just started slowly gutting quirks, except for some strange, temporary exceptions like the Quickdraw, Blackjack, Black Knight. Now most of the IS stable has the same shit across the board, which means mechs with good hitboxes and hardpoints, like the Battlemaster and Shadowhawk, are the most viable again. We made a gigantic 2 year circle to end up where we started.