Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Thanks guys.

I'm enjoying the Python so far. Need to make some cash though so I can start kitting it out right. Only really have enough left to cover insurance so I don't want to do anything too risky.

Yesterday I went into a high intensity war zone with my aspex and this HUUUUGE destroyer jumped into the system with this big Christopher Nolan sounding boom noise and just fucked everyone up. It was incredible. I bailed out.

But I tried another High intensity and just got pummled. The Low intensity seems more my speed. Is the way to make money there to do massacre missions?

Also when you guys talk bounty hunting, do you just fly around in supercruise interdicting wanted men, or do you take assassination missions?

When you're not mission running, what do you do to make money? I've made a lot exploring, but the Python really isn't suited. I think I'm going to strip down the Aspex to do long distance running and see how high I can get my jump distance.

Yeah, massacre missions are the way to make money in CZs. You still get money for combat bonds as well, but it's not nearly as much.

Bounty Hunting- most efficiently done in the rings of gas giants. They will usually have Resource Extraction Sites (RES) that you can fly to. Those RES sites will attract miners, that then attract pirates. The pirates are wanted, so you scan them first to confirm it, and then you can kill them and collect the bounty at the nearest station/outpost/planetary station. The progression for bounty hunting is roughly - Navigation Beacon, low RES, RES, High RES, Hazardous RES (no police), Corrupted Navigation Beacon.

If I want to make money, usually I'll take a passenger mission for several million in my Orca. But yeah, money isn't really a concern of mine at this point. Every bounty hunting trip is millions in the bank, and every war, and every trip out into the black for exploration data, etc. It kind of piles up until I blow it all on ships. Assassination missions that you mentioned earlier aren't too bad either. They average about 500k for two hops and 1 kill, so that's pretty decent. Some of them are pretty fun. I had to assassinate a priest once. His congregation was waiting at the drop in point, and his sermon was on going until he dropped in... in an unshielded Diamondback Explorer. Poor guy must have been strong in the faith. Hope it served him well in the afterlife.

His congregation was a little upset, though. Hehe.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    There are two places ideally suited to bounty hunting; at a Nav Beacon (in close orbit of the star in inhabited systems), and at Resource Extraction Sites (RES) in the rings of gas giants. You'll need to get within 1,000ls of the gas giant to see them in the Navigation tab. Just go to one, jump in, scan ships (bonus cash if you use a kill warrant scanner) and kill them if they're wanted. If you accidentally attack a clean ship, you'll have a bounty placed on you and if security are around they will drop everything and gank you. When you're done go back to a local station and cash in.

Don't carry cargo into a RES; pirates will routinely scan you and will attack on sight if you're carrying anything.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    If you want to war w/ CZs find a system where the CZ is near a planet or station preferably. Even better if there are multiple stations of the competing factions in the system. Run around the system and collect massacre missions for whichever side you are supporting. The missions all stack and a single kill counts as a kill for all of them. This is your best bet for making actual money with CZs. The bonds themselves are pretty pathetic for the amount of trouble/time they require.

If you want to hunt bounties find resource extraction sites in the rings around planets. High/low intensity will have space cops and you can hop in and out of the instance until you get big, pricey fish spawning. Hazardous RES will not have space cops and the bounties will frequently attack each other and almost everyone will be wanted. This is where you go with a wing of mates and the threat will be a bit higher.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Capital Ships move!

Still sounds like the Baypocslypse when they jump in though.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Update on the Pacifier Frags post engineering- still only okay. I went rank 5 double shot with drag munitions and incendiary fitted onto a Vulture. Much better, but still, the lack of ammo is a killer. Synthesis is pretty much required, or you'll be out of ammo pretty quickly. I came back to the station with 500k for instance. I usually come back with millions in my multicannon set ups.

My final battle seemed to sum up everything I think about the pacifiers- I went against an Elite Anaconda. Ran circles around him in the Vulture at close range (600m or so) and knocked out his power plant relatively quickly. However, he still had 24% hull and I was out of ammunition and had no materials for synthesis.

So it goes.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Capital Ships move!

Still sounds like the Baypocslypse when they jump in though.

Sorry to be the bearer of badnews, but it's a bug. :(

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    So it looks like the in-game clock and the time periods they give you for pirate assassinations have nothing whatsoever to do with each other

Looked at the time for two, and looked like I had seven hours before they would show up according to in-game clock... Nope. Failed.

Went immediately to the next one and he spawned withing about 10 minutes.

Is there any logic to this?

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    So it looks like the in-game clock and the time periods they give you for pirate assassinations have nothing whatsoever to do with each other

Looked at the time for two, and looked like I had seven hours before they would show up according to in-game clock... Nope. Failed.

I sounds like something screwed up for you.

Your second (or I guess third) experience is how anything with a time window to it typically works. You'll get a mission a good 10-20 minutes before you need to be wherever you need to be.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

Okay, for a assassination missions, disregard that whole timer business. Just go to the target system immediately and either do an Advanced Discovery Scanner honk, or scan the navigation beacon in that system. It will tell you where the target is RIGHT NOW, so you can go to that planet's orbit. Eventually (it's RNG) a Mission Detected! sound will play and a mission specific signal source will show up. Drop into that, and that's where the target will be.

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    I've been thinking of trying out Elite. Xbox has the Commander edition on sale right now for $40, which seems like a good deal.

Any Xbox players in this forum? How does it play on a console? (Or am I a dirty heretic for even suggesting anything other than PC?)

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »
    I've been thinking of trying out Elite. Xbox has the Commander edition on sale right now for $40, which seems like a good deal.

Any Xbox players in this forum? How does it play on a console? (Or am I a dirty heretic for even suggesting anything other than PC?)

lots of people say controller flying is very comfortable. Haven't tried it myself but I showed a console friend to this game and I've been thinking about getting it for him on xbox. If you want to try it you absolutely should.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Playing on the PS4 is super comfortable. Touchpad helps a lot.

• Options
    Yeah by all accounts a controller is the best way to play, HOTAS is more fun, KBAM works (I use it) and for flight assist off flying (Newtonian physics) KBAM is the best.

FA-Off flying takes a healthy amount of skill to pull off even somewhat competently. Vast majority of CMDRs don't do it, but watching those that do is quite impressive.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I got a great roll and managed to get my Corvette jump range up to a heroic 17 LY

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »

The Xbox version is what got me interested enough to pick it up on PC (thank GabeN and Steam sales) and, eventually, on PS4. Controller flying works really well (although, it did take me a whiles to figure out a few of the face button combo commands and disabling "smart rolling" was pretty important for me. About the only complaint I have for both console versions is the loading time (the loading screen is masked by jumping between systems)...but that difference is exacerbated on my PC version since I have Elite installed on an SSD to mitigate the loading times anyways.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent money-making/mission running Imperial system? I'd like to make a little bit of scratch somewhere in Imperial space so that I can maybe pick up a few Imperial Shielding drops.

• Options
    Cubeo is Aisling Duval's home system. It has a good mix of imperial factions and stations. If you play in open there should be a few players around as well.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent money-making/mission running Imperial system? I'd like to make a little bit of scratch somewhere in Imperial space so that I can maybe pick up a few Imperial Shielding drops.

By all accounts Quince is back in vogue.

https://youtu.be/EDFol4SELq8

• Options
    Oh good I never got to try that

• Options
    Man once you know the trick chemical manipulators are really fun to get. Just splatting Type 9s for a couple of hours and BOOM now I have 50. DWEs are my only real remaining bete noire. I guess some of the USS ones are going to be a pain in the arse.

• Options
    Looks like the PS4 launch is going great! High reviews and solid sales for the game.

On a personal note, someone finally called me out on my eagle love on Reddit. I've been challenged to record a video of taking down an Elite FDL in my eagle. More than half the battle will be finding an FDL in the eagle. Anyone have any recommendations on recording software?

I've been toying with the idea of starting an FA:Off, combat oriented stream on twitch. This might be a good step towards that and might help gauge interest.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Is this EVE where if you actually want to have real white knuckle fun you have to mine shit for days and be guilded up or die?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Is this EVE where if you actually want to have real white knuckle fun you have to mine shit for days and be guilded up or die?

Nope!

You can play in solo mode (no other players to gank you), and a combat-fitted ship isn't very expensive at all to start playing. In fact, the starter ship you get can play nicely in certain combat areas without much added to it, at all, though you'll want to advance to something a little more combat-worthy pretty quickly.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Nope!

You can play in solo mode (no other players to gank you), and a combat-fitted ship isn't very expensive at all to start playing. In fact, the starter ship you get can play nicely in certain combat areas without much added to it, at all, though you'll want to advance to something a little more combat-worthy pretty quickly.

Can I bring that offline ship online? Reading the Destructoid review and what turned me off big time to EVE was how unfriendly the game was to new players. If there's a sort of Dark Souls approach to the game (going online with your character when you've gotten enough experience with the character).

I loved FREELANCER though and thought NMS would satisfy that (admittedly nostalgia) itch (it didn't); if this is anything like that game I might just try it out.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Nope!

Can I bring that offline ship online? Reading the Destructoid review and what turned me off big time to EVE was how unfriendly the game was to new players. If there's a sort of Dark Souls approach to the game (going online with your character when you've gotten enough experience with the character).

I loved FREELANCER though and thought NMS would satisfy that (admittedly nostalgia) itch (it didn't); if this is anything like that game I might just try it out.

Your account is the same no matter what mode you're playing in. So if you're in solo mode and you do a bunch of missions and make enough money to buy and outfit a new ship then you decide to try open mode, you'll still be using the same ship and be at the same location you logged off at. The only difference between the different modes is whether you see other players or not (and even in open you might not see another player depending on where in the galaxy you're at).

Also, I don't know if you meant experience in an RPG and leveling up sort of way, or just in a "getting to know how the game works" sort of way, but there's none of the former in the game.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I meant more familiarity with the character.

It looks like PS4 has a base version of the game for 30, and a 60 dollar version with the Season Pass and some ship items. However there's a Physical Copy of the game without the ship items and the Season Pass included. Anyone know what these items are (cosmetics hopefully?). Might just get the base game and see if I like it.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    I meant more familiarity with the character.

It looks like PS4 has a base version of the game for 30, and a 60 dollar version with the Season Pass and some ship items. However there's a Physical Copy of the game without the ship items and the Season Pass included. Anyone know what these items are (cosmetics hopefully?). Might just get the base game and see if I like it.

According to the support page on the Frontier website

https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=378

they're just paint packs.

• Options
    They're probably not the paint packs you'll want either. Skip em.

• Options
    Yeah it is just cosmetics. Basically a handful of paint jobs.

The "Season Pass" is honestly more of a traditional expansion. They originally wanted it to operate like a normal season pass, but uh, this one has been going on for like two years now? So, basically just a misnomer at this point. If you have it though you'll be able to land on planets/moons that don't have an atmosphere.

The state of the universe is the exact same for Solo/Open play. ie: What goods are in demand or not for a particular station is the same in Solo and Open.

Generally recommended that new players start out in Solo. Many people stick to Solo and that is fine. Open is in all honesty also fine too. For the most part you'll only run in to PvPers in and around particularly popular spots. Like the latest money making destination or a system that is the target of a Community Goal or is the location of something interesting.

While there is a certain amount of progression from ship to ship (some just being flat out better than others in the beginning) at a certain point it just comes down to personal preference depending on what you're doing. And that comes a lot faster then you might think.

Also I highly recommend watching this video as this guy has easily the best "How to Play" video I've come across. Though he does use a controller (which are totally fine), just if you don't you may have to figure out what does what on your own.

https://youtu.be/cyII7yw2sN0

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So last night I logged off at a great system, or so I thought. It was fed aligned, had a pretty good station with a good mix of missions, a great outfitting shop, and a shipyard that sold a lot of great ships. Also, and more importantly to me, it had some [low] RES. But when I logged back in later that night, the RES were gone. Do they spawn/despawn over time? How can I reliably find these? I spent like 25 minutes in one and made like 250k. Not bad considering I'm still at like...harmless rank or something.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    So last night I logged off at a great system, or so I thought. It was fed aligned, had a pretty good station with a good mix of missions, a great outfitting shop, and a shipyard that sold a lot of great ships. Also, and more importantly to me, it had some [low] RES. But when I logged back in later that night, the RES were gone. Do they spawn/despawn over time? How can I reliably find these? I spent like 25 minutes in one and made like 250k. Not bad considering I'm still at like...harmless rank or something.

Yeah things in a system change over time. You may have arrived right at the cusp of the system becoming peaceful. It happens.

The easiest way to find RES sites is to open up your galaxy map, select a nearby system, open up the system map for it and check to see if it has planets/moons with rings. If it has rings then there is a good chance it has a RES.

edit- On a somewhat related note, there is a whole higher level of play that some player groups take part in where they actively seek to flip a system to the controller of another faction (be it a minor or major faction). This is not to be confused with Power Play. I will never take part in this as it involves a serious level of coordination among many players, but it is pretty neat.

Oh yeah, I said somewhat related because changing the state of a system is something players can influence. Whether it is causing a war, civil war, lock downs, RES sites to spawn/despawn, etc.

Axen on
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Just to clarify, playing the BGS (back-ground simulation), does not absolutely require you to be part of a group and coordinate on a large scale. In the core system, what Axen say is very much true (and here power-play can also get involved), but on the fringes it is very possible to affect the state of systems on your own. Some systems you may be the only player to visit for weeks or months, and there you can pretty much do what you want without interference. I've kept my adopted faction in power for over a year now, mostly on my own although I've had help from friendly neighbours when the feds tried to move in. The feds are still trying to cause trouble, just recently they managed to get the security in the system down to medium from high, probably by large scale smuggling...

Playing the BGS can be fun when you've grown tired of other things in the game, and it does not take that THAT much effort if you pick your targets wisely. Oh, and if any PA:ers want to visit my home it's HIP 60953, on the upper fringe. It's a nice place with a high tech station, several metallic pristine rings and good opportunities for bounty hunting if that is your thing (haz-res at the tenth planet). Just make sure that you do missions for the HIP 60953 resistance! :P

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Axen wrote: »
    Yeah it is just cosmetics. Basically a handful of paint jobs.

The "Season Pass" is honestly more of a traditional expansion. They originally wanted it to operate like a normal season pass, but uh, this one has been going on for like two years now? So, basically just a misnomer at this point. If you have it though you'll be able to land on planets/moons that don't have an atmosphere.

The state of the universe is the exact same for Solo/Open play. ie: What goods are in demand or not for a particular station is the same in Solo and Open.

Generally recommended that new players start out in Solo. Many people stick to Solo and that is fine. Open is in all honesty also fine too. For the most part you'll only run in to PvPers in and around particularly popular spots. Like the latest money making destination or a system that is the target of a Community Goal or is the location of something interesting.

While there is a certain amount of progression from ship to ship (some just being flat out better than others in the beginning) at a certain point it just comes down to personal preference depending on what you're doing. And that comes a lot faster then you might think.

Also I highly recommend watching this video as this guy has easily the best "How to Play" video I've come across. Though he does use a controller (which are totally fine), just if you don't you may have to figure out what does what on your own.

https://youtu.be/cyII7yw2sN0

I'm playing on the PS4 so that's a fine series. One thing I am not liking: can I not change the font color? It is way to orange and I can't see shit when things get a bit bright around me (like the tutorial planet is the same color). I like a nice bright white honestly.

Also, LoLz at this tutorial. I both nearly burned up in my ship and appearantly broke my cargo hold trying to get this idiot some booze.

EDIT: One day they are going to write and voice a tutorial helper who is infinitely kind and patient and lacking in the art of sarcasm. Today is not that day. And of course their name is Blaine.

EDIT2: Err. I've got a weird bug where my flight controls are responding. I select inverted controls but all I get are the normal ones, and the right stick doesn't even respond. o_0.

EDIT3: That 2nd Training mission is not. . .done well. The "target" is not the actual destination you are meant to safe drop out of. In fact it doesn't look like it's actually anything. My controls are still funked as well.

ED! on
  • Options
    So, in terms of ship progression ...

I've got a Sidewinder, a combat-rigged Eagle, a "planetary shit" Cobra MkIII, a combat Viper MkIV, and a mining Type 6.

I've also got 20M+ credits burning a hole in my pocket (and, obviously, plans to add a couple million more over the next couple of playing days).

The Type 7's right there at the top of that range, but it doesn't look like it offers much above the Type 6 when it comes to mining, other than being bigger - it can run a 3-Collector Limpet controller and a 9- or 10-bin refinery in place of the 2-Collector and 7-/8-bin refinery I've got, and 4x mining lasers* instead of 2x, and can carry a whole lot more cargo (roughly 2x) ... But those are all changes in degree and not really in kind. It's kind of my default choice at the moment, since it's what i was saving up for, but is there a better next-step mining ship? Maybe one that'll support a fighter bay?

If I wanted to rig something out as an explorer, instead, what's a good base hull for that?

How's the Vulture for combat? It looks like a pretty significant upgrade on the Viper MkIV, especially in the power distributor (size 5 vs. size 3), which should drastically improve trigger-time before recharges, but it's only got two hardpoints (2L) vs. the 4 on the Viper (2M, 2S) ...

Ugh, decisions!

* What are mining lances, anyway?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Asp Explorer is generally regarded as the preeminent exploration option. Though the Diamondback Explorer was patched a couple months back and is also a perfectly fine choice too.

Vulture is really good for bounty hunting in a RES. Biggest problem with them is that they have a tendency to get canopy'd a lot, secondary problem is that you'll just never have enough power for all the things. Though the Viper MKIV is good for bounty hunting as well and many would say Viper MKIII is da best.

Mining lances are for mining asteroids.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Quickly, the Vulture is the best of the small ships for a pure combat role. It scales very well and is very fun to fly. It has some short comings with regards to power, but these days that can be Engineered away.

One of the very best explorers is the Asp Explorer, it's right in your price range and is one of the very best all round ships in the game - I have access to pretty much everything and still regularly fly the Asp, for example.

dylman on
  • Options
    So completed the tutorial. No interest whatsoever in doing those advanced training missions. That tutorial needs a TON of work in my honest opinion. Add the controller woes and I do not have the best first impression of this game.

Even now IN the game, I'm making my approach to my destination and I can't "safely disengage" the FSD drive. . .why? Controls are on Classic Mode (which sucks because you frequently switch into Alternate Control Scheme because it's easy to register an L3 click) yet I'm still not registering Triangle (just like in the tutorial) or even R. However like the tutorial the location I'm told to do to isn't the actual location? If this first mission station is like the tutorial mission I'm not actually looking for my target I'm looking for a station around-abouts to my target so I can land there?

Trying not to get frustrated but holey frijoles this stuff is starting to irk me.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So completed the tutorial. No interest whatsoever in doing those advanced training missions. That tutorial needs a TON of work in my honest opinion. Add the controller woes and I do not have the best first impression of this game.

Even now IN the game, I'm making my approach to my destination and I can't "safely disengage" the FSD drive. . .why? Controls are on Classic Mode (which sucks because you frequently switch into Alternate Control Scheme because it's easy to register an L3 click) yet I'm still not registering Triangle (just like in the tutorial) or even R. However like the tutorial the location I'm told to do to isn't the actual location? If this first mission station is like the tutorial mission I'm not actually looking for my target I'm looking for a station around-abouts to my target so I can land there?

Trying not to get frustrated but holey frijoles this stuff is starting to irk me.

To "safely disengage" the FSD, you need to be traveling under (I think) 200km/s1Mm/s and be under 1Mm from your destination. Basically, in the lower-left of your main view, when you get close to your destination, two little bars pop up if your destination is locked. The top is distance to destination, the lower is your speed. Close to the left-side of both bars is a little blue-shaded area which designates the safe tolerances to disengage the FSD.

It should be noted that you can perform an emergency stop by double-tapping Triangle...but you'll cause hull-damage to yourself if you do this.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I don't remember the tutorial mission, but if you're attempting to land at a station (and pointed at a planet to start), you can go to the Navigation menu on the left-hand-side of your cockpit. It'll have all the major locations in the area (that you know about; you need to use a discovery scanner to locate more, if any, or to purchase navigation data) in order of their distance from you. If the station is orbiting the planet, it'll be below it in the list, indented, and you can select it there and choose "Lock Destination" to make it your nav target. Then, the meatball / nav panel will show you alignment on the station, and when you get close enough and are moving slowly enough (see @Erlkönig's post above on that) you'll be able to drop out of supercruise right by the station.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

To "safely disengage" the FSD, you need to be traveling under (I think) 200km/s. Basically, in the lower-left of your main view, when you get close to your destination, two little bars pop up if your destination is locked. The top is distance to destination, the lower is your speed. Close to the left-side of both bars is a little blue-shaded area which designates the safe tolerances to disengage the FSD.

It should be noted that you can perform an emergency stop by double-tapping Triangle...but you'll cause hull-damage to yourself if you do this.

Went online and apparently the game sometimes needs you to "reset" the default controls. I looked in the controller layout and the FSD Disengage button (same button in the tutorial) was now mapped to "Target." I certainly didn't change that so I have no idea how it got that way.

This discussion has been closed.