Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    This guy explores the Thargoid base.

https://twitch.tv/videos/154623005

EDIT: there we go

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'm so happy to finally be playing this, you guys have no idea.

Already learned the hard way that I can't improvise my way to a system that my ship won't plot a route to, so that was... fun.

Newbie question: have a mission to retrieve structural regulators via SRV. So... planet landing. What am I looking for in order to determine where to search on a planet? Will some kind of signal appear in orbit?

Ceno on
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I never had to do that mission but if like scanning outposts for data, when your close to planet about 15ls should come up with a outpost maybe that you can target on the planet and land.

Picked this up on PS4 to help my brother and his partner who have finally purchased elite after the long wait.

It's a bit slower loading wise and FPS but it's all pretty much there.

Also that Thargoid base looks mental.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Man I love Elite Dangerous. I love it a lot. I guess I'm in the top 10% of people that love Elite Dangerous. I still cannot imagine reading one of the novels. They're not even free! You have to pay them to read it. It's frankly perverse.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I could be convinced to read a synopsis on a wikipedia page of the contents of a novel, I suppose.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Newbie question: have a mission to retrieve structural regulators via SRV. So... planet landing. What am I looking for in order to determine where to search on a planet? Will some kind of signal appear in orbit?

Yeah, like @Genji-Gloves said, when you get close to the planet, you'll get a sensor ping for the approximate location of the stuff.

Depending on the specific mission, you may need to fly close to it and let your sensors determine it's the wrong place, and then it'll daisy chain you across the planet's surface for awhile until you reach the right location.

Uh, make sure you have an SRV hangar in your ship before you land. Jus' sayin'.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Man I love Elite Dangerous. I love it a lot. I guess I'm in the top 10% of people that love Elite Dangerous. I still cannot imagine reading one of the novels. They're not even free! You have to pay them to read it. It's frankly perverse.

The only elite novel I have ever read is the Dark Wheel that came with my copy of the game on the BBC all those years ago.

Are they worth reading? Also I reckon I'm in that 10%. Here I am running in an adder making money as quick as possible and loving it.

PC be my main go to but yeah if you only have a PS4 then elite won't be a disappointment.

• Options
    I'm slightly confused.

Mission board is offering me missions that it says I'm qualified for but then I'm unable to plot a jump. Is it an FSD thing?

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I'm slightly confused.

Mission board is offering me missions that it says I'm qualified for but then I'm unable to plot a jump. Is it an FSD thing?

I'm no expert but it's possible your max jump range isn't far enough. It could be that the cargo you're carrying to do the mission is reducing your jump distance. In the auto routing in your galaxy map you can switch it from 'fastest route' to 'economical' and it'll give you a route to get there that will take more jumps, but each jump will be shorter and hopefully within your jump range. That's an option.

The other possibility is that the computer won't calculate a jump route of more than 1k ly, so if you've got a long way to go that could be it.

• Options
    I don't think the mission board checks to see if you can get there before giving you a mission.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't think the mission board checks to see if you can get there before giving you a mission.

They do not and I got fucked over a bit when first starting by this. It's lesson one of being a newb: verify that you can plot a course and be careful that you might not be able to plot a course after actually taking cargo.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So, I played this a year or two ago and nearly got sucked in, but dragged myself away. I was using a controller on pc and docking/flying was okay but it was hard as hell to actually hit anything in combat so I basically gave up. So, if I wanted to tool around with this again, should I go for PS4 version with potentially better UI/controllers for controller play or should I try and make PC version work for me again?

• Options
    Finally found a station that sells fruits and vegetables to complete a mission that took way too long. I have about 300k credits now and I'm torn about upgrading my Eagle or moving into something else. Probably just upgrade my Eagle.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    If your trading move up to a adder and upgrade over time, then get a type-6 after.

Farming rep and one station that you like pays off with better missions.

Edit: Found the grind for fed..finally.

Edit again ...more thargoid stuff!!

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    @soylenth
    Unless you have friends you want to wing up with on the PS4, I don't see any reason to get it. PC version is more flexible, allowing a far greater customization of controls. Any setup on the consoles should be possible on PC, and more.

On the PSVR front:
    Braben did an AMA recently, and it seems that the major hurdle for PSVR is simply that the console isn't powerful enough. It can do one screen @ 60 (or 30 or whatever the framerate is, I honestly don't know what the PS4's offering), but two screens @ 90 is a much higher bar.
    Frontier's still working on optimizations, though. They haven't given up!

He didn't put quite like that, I should mention. His actual answers in the spoiler:
    I'm a huge fan of VR, and have been carefully following it from day one. The most important thing is it is a good experience, and we're not there yet in terms of the quality. It's certainly something we'd like to consider, but quality is vital.
    I agree. It is great on both the Vive and Oculus. We have a big team on the game, and optimisations are coming all the time, but I completely understand what you're saying too. As I said on a previous question though, quality is vital.
    Framerate and so motion is the key element here.
    Also:
    What are the specific PS4 Pro enhancements?
    You can choose to optimise for performance or image quality. Both are big improvements, and it is better frame rate all round for either setting.
    Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/6jss3y/ceo_of_frontier_developments_david_braben_ask_me/

I'd like to mention for the new commanders here, that there's nothing keeping you from visiting these thargoid sites too, if you're interested. All you need is a fuel scoop and an SRV.

Zerocz on
  • Options
    How far out is it?

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I've only been to one site, which was about 300ly or so.
    Edit: They're all around Maia. Not very far, really.

Zerocz on
  • Options
    Pfft, I have shit to do round there anyway probably.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'll see if I can get there to check out the alien business this weekend. I've been a little preoccupied with trying out powerplay again. Merits are easy to get (pull enemy power play ships out of supercruise and blow them up. 30 credits a *pop*). I got 750 last night just doing that. So I think I'll be able to get the Hudson flak cannons this week?

I'm not sure if I want to get involved more than that. I've never seen anything super interesting when I've looking at what Hudson command is up to. Hard to tell when the plans are locked down due to necessity, though.

Most likely I'll just get the flak cannons and either quit or whore myself out to Disney Princess for the super shields... You never know though. I'll at least talk to the Hudson guys and let them make a pitch.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    In HOTAS news, I emailed VKB about the status of the MCG. Got a reply that production is currently underway without issue, but last he heard it will likely be September before it ships. :(

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Today I learned a very hard lesson that a planetary approach suite is not the same as a planetary vehicle bay.

Speaking of powerplay, is there any benefit or reason to pledge myself to a power right now?

Ceno on
  • Options
    I found out recently that you can sell the approach suite. Christ know why you would.

As far as Powerplay, technically there's no reason not to any more. You'll get a tiny weekly stipend and some small benefit just siting around at rating 1. You used to be the victim of interdictions all the time but now that only happens if you're carrying merits (IE, actively doing some powerplay shit)

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Today I learned a very hard lesson that a planetary approach suite is not the same as a planetary vehicle bay.

*Aherm* ...
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yeah, like @Genji-Gloves said, when you get close to the planet, you'll get a sensor ping for the approximate location of the stuff.

Depending on the specific mission, you may need to fly close to it and let your sensors determine it's the wrong place, and then it'll daisy chain you across the planet's surface for awhile until you reach the right location.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

Speaking of powerplay, is there any benefit or reason to pledge myself to a power right now?

Powerplay is more of an endgame diversion, and even then it's pretty niche. You can get unique weapons and modules doing it, which is pretty nice. I wouldn't worry about it just starting out, though.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options

*Aherm* ...

Listen I saw the word "planetary" and assumed I was good to go judge

• Options

*Aherm* ...

Listen I saw the word "planetary" and assumed I was good to go judge

I had to laugh because I did the same thing when I accidentally took out my Viper MkIV instead of my Cobra MkIII.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    When Horizons first came out on the Xbox there was, briefly, a bug whereby you could buy a SRV hangar, but no SRV. That was fun.

• Options
    I have a running habit of changing ship, engaging in combat, deploying fighters only to forget to add my crew to the ship.

So many times lost count now. Can imagine my commander screaming "Deploy Fighters!" and nothing but the low buzz of a cockpit and empty silence.

• Options
    Well after an incident involving a hauler and some asteroids that I won't detail here, I have now finally identified the ship that I am going to be working toward, which is a Cobra Mark III.

Seems pretty jack-of-all-trades, which is what I've been looking for. I have enough to buy it and afford the insurance, but I figure I'll run some straightforward cargo/data runs to make enough to actually upgrade it when I take the plunge. Then I can stop worrying about moving into a new ship and start concentrating on doing the missions that seem the most interesting to me.

• Options
    Yeah the cobra is good multi-purpose ship. It's a staple ship and is reasonable price and a wonderful starter ship to introduce you to elite.

If you like Bounty Hunting upgrade to a vulture. Hauling cargo or passengers then get a type 6.

Play elite your way and enjoy. It's the fun you make it.

The best advice above all...always have enough money for one re-buy of your ship.

• Options
    Cobra MkIII get! I love it.

Tomorrow I'm going to look for some stuff to shoot. Tired of trucking things around for the moment.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    As someone who has played for over a hundred hours,

it feels foolhardy at any time to jump into open play.

Unless you want to die.

Disagree. Open can be dangerous around crowded areas (they attract the folks looking to blow up noobs), but most often you rarely come across folks, or they ignore you. Once you pledge to a power play faction that changes slightly, but not much.

• Options
    Man they're not over generous with datamined wake exceptions are they

I think I got mine by going to the outbreak systems USS where a whole crapload of T9s wake out and just scanned them all. Then relogged and did it again.

No that was classified scan databanks, but there is some USS where ships wake out and you can scan a crapload of wake signals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oDupcG3H9k&t=56s

• Options
    There are famine sectors, that works well enough. It's just really tedious work and a very rare drop. I think wake scanning is the worst of the engineer activities, because it's extremely artificial and there's no real gameplay.

• Options

Already learned the hard way that I can't improvise my way to a system that my ship won't plot a route to, so that was... fun.

Planetary scan missions work like this:

1) Get mission
    2) Go to system (might be where you got the mission, most often somewhere else)
    3) Either use a discovery scanner (advanced is system wide) or scan (by targeting it) the nav beacon (in normal space, not supercruise)
    4) That will tell you the planet to approach
    5) As you approach the planet you will see contacts that say something like search: outpost or something. Fly towards it.
    6) Eventually you will go into orbital cruise (aka starting to land on planet) - keep flying towards the target
    7) It will change locations a few times, then finally resolve into a little outpost on the surface. Land near it (some missions might give you hostile places to scan so be careful).
    8) Get out in your SRV, target the uh...i forget that it is called. A little while tower thingy. Data Point maybe? Even at hostile bases you can often scan it from outside the red zone/hostile boundary.
    9) Board ship, fly away, turn in mission.

• Options
    There are famine sectors, that works well enough. It's just really tedious work and a very rare drop. I think wake scanning is the worst of the engineer activities, because it's extremely artificial and there's no real gameplay.

110% agreed. I hate scanning wakes.

• Options
    Did anyone ever divine an afk method for wake scanning?

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Finally treated myself to this. Was a huge fan of Elite II back when I was a wee nipper, but this is still incredibly daunting. :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    Finally treated myself to this. Was a huge fan of Elite II back when I was a wee nipper, but this is still incredibly daunting. :D

New HOTAS to go with it?
    giphy.gif

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »

Planetary scan missions work like this:

1) Get mission
    2) Go to system (might be where you got the mission, most often somewhere else)
    3) Either use a discovery scanner (advanced is system wide) or scan (by targeting it) the nav beacon (in normal space, not supercruise)
    4) That will tell you the planet to approach
    5) As you approach the planet you will see contacts that say something like search: outpost or something. Fly towards it.
    6) Eventually you will go into orbital cruise (aka starting to land on planet) - keep flying towards the target
    7) It will change locations a few times, then finally resolve into a little outpost on the surface. Land near it (some missions might give you hostile places to scan so be careful).
    8) Get out in your SRV, target the uh...i forget that it is called. A little while tower thingy. Data Point maybe? Even at hostile bases you can often scan it from outside the red zone/hostile boundary.
    9) Board ship, fly away, turn in mission.

Note that if you haven't discovered the planet yet (e.g., it's a 7-planet system and you've only found 3 of them, and the 4th has the mission), scanning the nav beacon will not give you that update. However, once you discover the planet by flying close enough for your discovery scanner to pick it up, you'll immediately get a mission update with the planet you need to land on.

This discussion has been closed.