Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Marvel makes consistently great movies because they are a Comic Book company making movies, not a movie company making comic book movies.
    They arent embarrassed by the subject matter, they're proud of it. They love it. They dont question whether or not the population at large will "get it" they question why no one else has shown the population at large why comic book heroes are cool.

They know the power of adventure and that people don't always want something dark and broody.

Its the biggest reason they need to get the rights to Fantastic 4 back. So once they're done with the Avengers story (phases) they can "reboot" the MCU on the backs of the FF.
    And put the fantastic back in fantastic four. They are supposed to be high sci-fi adventure thats fun and exciting and teaches us about family.

plus they'd fit with Spider-Man well (who i swear will be the next MCU "Tony Stark" for the next decade of MCU movies)

Family eh?

Okay, so hear me out. The next Fast and The Furious movie has them go to space (which, let's face it, was going to happen anyway) and then they get powers.

Characters are already there and they don't een have to change the initials of the franchise.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Marvel makes consistently great movies because they are a Comic Book company making movies, not a movie company making comic book movies.
    They arent embarrassed by the subject matter, they're proud of it. They love it. They dont question whether or not the population at large will "get it" they question why no one else has shown the population at large why comic book heroes are cool.

They know the power of adventure and that people don't always want something dark and broody.

Its the biggest reason they need to get the rights to Fantastic 4 back. So once they're done with the Avengers story (phases) they can "reboot" the MCU on the backs of the FF.
    And put the fantastic back in fantastic four. They are supposed to be high sci-fi adventure thats fun and exciting and teaches us about family.

plus they'd fit with Spider-Man well (who i swear will be the next MCU "Tony Stark" for the next decade of MCU movies)

Family eh?

Okay, so hear me out. The next Fast and The Furious movie has them go to space (which, let's face it, was going to happen anyway) and then they get powers.

Characters are already there and they don't een have to change the initials of the franchise.

Initial Reaction: I hate this idea

Secondary Reaction: ...I hate that I love this idea

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    They've already introduced time travel. If they want to do a reboot, they can just do a Days of Future Past.

Please no, keep that out of the movies. It's bad enough when the comics do it. Just start up the new universe and forget the other one - it'll save the audience a head ache.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    While Guardians has been out for a while, we should probably not get too lax with spoilers in here, out of respect to those where it just came out, or who have fallen a bit behind.

I'm so behind I haven't even seen Dr. Strange yet. :(

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    While Guardians has been out for a while, we should probably not get too lax with spoilers in here, out of respect to those where it just came out, or who have fallen a bit behind.

Rectify that soon sir. Structure wise it's a retread of Iron Man and The First Avenger, but it's very well executed, The Cumberbatch is great (although his American "accent" is definitely uneven at times) as are Tilda Swinton and Rachel McAdams, and the visuals are mouth-droppingly awesome for the big set-pieces.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Rectify that soon sir. Structure wise it's a retread of Iron Man and The First Avenger, but it's very well executed, The Cumberbatch is great (although his American "accent" is definitely uneven at times) as are Tilda Swinton and Rachel McAdams, and the visuals are mouth-droppingly awesome for the big set-pieces.

It's supposed to hit Netflix at the end of the month, so I'll be ready for it!

Not sure when I'll see GOTG2. I actually didn't like the first one as much as a lot of people. My wife liked it a lot less than I did, so she isn't very enthusiastic about seeing the second one. I still want to see it, though.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    To be fair, if you didnt care for the first one, i doubt the second will change your mind. Its all the same stuff just better executed.

• Options
    I think that, for me, the humor just fell flat a lot of the time in GotG.

My wife and I are also the kind of people who disliked Darcy in the Thor movies, so take that how you will. :)

• Options

My wife and I are also the kind of people who disliked Darcy in the Thor movies, so take that how you will. :)

I couldn't stand Darcy in the Thor movies. Found her to be quite annoying.
    That said GotG is hilarious (to me) and the second one is even funnier, although maybe a bit too try hard sometimes. I still loved it. 8.5/10 for me.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    You have to appreciate weird silliness to enjoy GotG.

The comics take it to the next level.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Krathoon wrote: »

I randomly picked one up a while back and it involved Venom, Thing, and Shadowcat (who are members now apparently) getting a magic potion from Venom's homeworld that I guess will make him a good guy. And that wasn't the weird part.

Rocket was still Rocket, at least, and carried it IMO. "How do I know Earth sucks? Because half of you idiots are from there and now you're all out here. With me. And I ain't no picnic."

Hevach on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

I randomly picked one up a while back and it involved Venom, Thing, and Shadowcat (who are members now apparently) getting a magic potion from Venom's homeworld that I guess will make him a good guy. And that wasn't the weird part.

Rocket was still Rocket, at least, and carried it IMO. "How do I know Earth sucks? Because half of you idiots are from there and now you're all out here. With me. And I ain't no picnic."

Venom's suit is from space and both the X-Men and Fantastic Four are old hands at space missions. Also, Venom was already a good guy here (Flash Thompson, Peter Parker's frenemy is wearing the symbiote here), they were going to the Symbiote planet where it turned out the Symbiotes were good things and Spider-Man's was the equivalent of a junkyard pitbull made mean by circumstances. They made it better.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Bendis Guardians bounces between ok to horrible.

Get the original run up to Thanos Imperative. That run was awesome.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options

I couldn't stand Darcy in the Thor movies. Found her to be quite annoying.
    That said GotG is hilarious (to me) and the second one is even funnier, although maybe a bit too try hard sometimes. I still loved it. 8.5/10 for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0SnsP8YEN8

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Venom's suit is from space and both the X-Men and Fantastic Four are old hands at space missions. Also, Venom was already a good guy here (Flash Thompson, Peter Parker's frenemy is wearing the symbiote here), they were going to the Symbiote planet where it turned out the Symbiotes were good things and Spider-Man's was the equivalent of a junkyard pitbull made mean by circumstances. They made it better.

I'm a fan of that concept for Venom, though not how the comics apparently handled it. If I was in charge of a complete Spiderman reboot, I'd make it so that the symbiote was a blank slate that was depending on Peter to teach it morality, but Peter fucked up its mind by not actually having much of a rational sense of morality for the symbiote to learn from, finishing it up by blaming the symbiote for what were ultimately his own flaws and casting it aside.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    To be fair, if you didn't care for the first one, i doubt the second will change your mind. Its all the same stuff just better executed.

I would say it's the same stuff, but not as good. The first one was an absolute delight.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I don't know his state when it actually happened, but that reboot would make him not-Peter pretty much.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I don't know his state when it actually happened, but that reboot would make him not-Peter pretty much.

We're already talking about a guy who initially saw nothing wrong with sitting back and watching other people be harmed until it ended up personally affecting him.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    And that would be pre-origin Peter Parker, not the Peter who had been Spider-Man for years.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

We're already talking about a guy who initially saw nothing wrong with sitting back and watching other people be harmed until it ended up personally affecting him.

That seems like an awfully strange read of the character. We're talking about Peter Parker right?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    jothki's talking about the one incident with letting the robber get away.
    which, given how that turned out... and that the lesson he learned from it is pretty much his catchphrase...

(I mean, I guess you can say "someone who'd think that in the first place might have all sorts of other kinds of lurking awful", but Iiiii don't think that necessarily follows?)

• Options
    jothki's talking about the one incident with letting the robber get away.
    which, given how that turned out... and that the lesson he learned from it is pretty much his catchphrase...

(I mean, I guess you can say "someone who'd think that in the first place might have all sorts of other kinds of lurking awful", but Iiiii don't think that necessarily follows?)

Yea i was just making sure.

But that is leaving out a BIG part of that story. Peter wasnt just all "shiiiiiit i dont give a f!"
    He let the robber get away because the robber was stealing from the promoter who promised to pay Peter and then didn't. So in Peters mind (at that moment) the promoter was getting what he deserved. (karma in a sense)
    But then POW the Uncle Ben thing happened and Peter got a swift lesson that injustice anywhere, anytime cannot be allowed to fester because it will always have far reaching consequences. This is the biggest part of his story.
    Thats why, as a character, he is always biting off more than he can chew. Why he elevates responsibility of being Spider-Man over the responsibility of being Peter Parker.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I could see a good story coming out of "alien totally goes too far with 'With great power comes great responsibility.'"

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Family eh?

First, I love this because Dwayne Johnson needs to be in the MCU. His presence in DC is a tragic crime against good taste and needs to be remedied.

So you have to figure out who plays Ben Grimm there, and that really comes down to whose version of "It's clobbering time" is better: Vin Diesel or The Rock?

And as hard as it is to say The Rock isn't the best fit to literally play a dude made of rocks, I think his version would be a little too showman and a little short on malice. Diesel gets the nod.

The Rock plays Doom, because of his extensive experience speaking in the third person.

But there is no Reed Richards because nobody in The Fast and the Furious movies is allowed to transition into a Super Genius role.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Heh. I came here to post about the actor chosen to play Eddie Brock, and instead I get something I never knew I wanted until right now.

*ahem*

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    "Sony's Marvel Universe." So... MCU, not MCU? I'm confused by terminology. I know the article refers to MCU Spidey, but Sony doesn't seem so clear.

• Options
    Sony is doing a really sad, dumb thing. Creating a movie universe based solely around the Spider-Man IP... that none of the Spider-Man movies they release will be a part of, because THEY'LL be in the MCU. Let that sink in.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just want Venom to have the same voice as Bane.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    "Sony's Marvel Universe." So... MCU, not MCU? I'm confused by terminology. I know the article refers to MCU Spidey, but Sony doesn't seem so clear.

Sony plans to latch on to Marvel like a tic, confusing regular moviegoers with a divergent, but somehow connected cinematic universe.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oh man. What are the odds that right now Tom Hardy thinks he's gonna be Venom in the MCU. Because I can just picture some Sony casting director drawing in some tasty stars with dat MCU adjacent glow. "Spin off of Tom Holland's Spider-man!" "Ah so I'll be fighting that guy huh?" "...yeah! I meanhemightnotbeinit, but sure!"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The Rock as Ben Grimm would be great if only because they could lean hard into grimm's now mostly forgotten days as a pro wrestler

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The Rock as Ben Grimm would be great if only because they could lean hard into grimm's now mostly forgotten days as a pro wrestler

He starts his stint in the Guardians of the Galaxy with an interplanetary wrestling federation.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Is spider-man even gonna be in these films, or is it just spidey-adjacent characters? It seems weird to have holland play the same character in films with potentially incongruous plots, but maybe Sony are having marvel secretly write the whole thing anyway

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I've been worried about this kind of confusion ever since the initial announcement of the Sony-Marvel deal.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

He starts his stint in the Guardians of the Galaxy with an interplanetary wrestling federation.

I think we would all like to forget that embarrassing career low

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUyTcoe0qw

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I think we would all like to forget that embarrassing career low

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUyTcoe0qw
    Was thinkin about this actually.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    And of course, there's that time he beat Rasslor, er, the Champion, by being too damn stubborn to stay down.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Bobble wrote: »

Family eh?

First, I love this because Dwayne Johnson needs to be in the MCU. His presence in DC is a tragic crime against good taste and needs to be remedied.

So you have to figure out who plays Ben Grimm there, and that really comes down to whose version of "It's clobbering time" is better: Vin Diesel or The Rock?

And as hard as it is to say The Rock isn't the best fit to literally play a dude made of rocks, I think his version would be a little too showman and a little short on malice. Diesel gets the nod.

The Rock plays Doom, because of his extensive experience speaking in the third person.

But there is no Reed Richards because nobody in The Fast and the Furious movies is allowed to transition into a Super Genius role.

The Rock suits Grimm, there's absolutely no way he can sell himself as a mad scientist/genius.

edit: Charlize Theron, Kurt Russell and Nathalie Emmanelle did in F & F.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    And of course, there's that time he beat Rasslor, er, the Champion, by being too damn stubborn to stay down.

Wasn't that dial M for Monkey?