Options

Startling Stories on the Silver Screen [Movies]

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    What did you like about it? I'm genuinely curious. For me the answer was "nothing". I didn't hate it, but I saw no redeeming qualities to it either. You're Next is one of my favourite ever films, which is why I had such high hopes.

The sense of setting and place is solid and really fun, great soundtrack, set design, and costume.

I thought the dialogue was snappy and clever. Every line David has has a double meaning and is dripping with... sarcastic menace, I guess?

What his deal is is built up slowly and the family is really well defined

And then when The Thing happens the movie goes completely insane in a way that had me cheering the whole time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The Guest is a weird, weird movie

I expected a taut thriller and I got way closer to an Edgar Wright movie by way of John Carpenter

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I really like the first like, 2/3 of The Guest.

I don't feel like the finale is all that good, all told, and the actual government conspiracy stuff was boring as heck.

The bar fight was probably the high point of the movie for me.

• Options
    See the ending is what brings it together for me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    girlhood had a real great score last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl0qnRTod8U

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    a really good modern soundtrack that doesn't get brought up much is Gravity

90% of the movie it's really unintrusive but does an amazing job contributing to the tension

and then for the climax it goes all out and helps pull a lot of the emotional weight of the action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npsVQZ8-8us

the clear separation between the soundtrack while in space, while reentering earth, and then while on earth, is really really great

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Speed Racer also had a really memorable soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Ppk66I8J4

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh shit! Weiner-Dog is on Amazon Prime video! I know what I'm watching this weekend.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I don't feel like the finale is all that good, all told, and the actual government conspiracy stuff was boring as heck.

I went to highschool with one of those hicks who gets beat up in the bar! It was fun surprise when I watched it.

Guess he did go to Hollywood like he alwasy said he would.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    a really good modern soundtrack that doesn't get brought up much is Gravity

90% of the movie it's really unintrusive but does an amazing job contributing to the tension

and then for the climax it goes all out and helps pull a lot of the emotional weight of the action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npsVQZ8-8us

the clear separation between the soundtrack while in space, while reentering earth, and then while on earth, is really really great

The implementation of the score in the movie was, for me personally,the weakest part of the movie. The "Warning! Danger" kind of leitmotif became really repetitive and intrusive and actually took me out of the movie repeatedly.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Just saw "Double Team" with JCVD and Dennis Rodman.

God, that was a weird action movie. Fun though!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Double Team is great

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople tonight

Fantastic, beautiful movie.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Yeah, this is about where I'm at

I thought it was a neat premise and interesting for the first half, and then when they start to overtly explain what was happening I lost interest fast

Nothing about the last twenty minutes was very interesting for me, but I didn't hate it either

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHRQvTSFppw
    Pacific Rim did a really good job of mixing electronic and strings, with a lot of solid melody to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BbvCC0VI0
    As far as pure electronic goes, breaking the medium constraint here a bit and going with DOOM

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Actually, listening to the PacRim OST some now and it does a very good job of feeling varied - Cancelling the Apocalypse sounds very Starcraft, in a good way, with twangy guitars and strings overlapping

Also I know there is guitar in the DOOM OST but let's be honest, it's so djented out that the guitar track almost sounds like yet another synth patch

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

Yeah the cut to credits had me laughing pretty hard.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    because i will take any excuse to share sachin teng's artwork, yo sachin teng did this for the rush hour trilogy blu-ray

14289780_1160475727321904_2195372685460781346_o.jpg

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »

I will say that I was rooting for David and if you weren't that might significantly change your reception to the ending but yeah me and my buddies clapped at the credits

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I will say that I was rooting for David and if you weren't that might significantly change your reception to the ending but yeah me and my buddies clapped at the credits
    Oh hm, I absolutely was not rooting for him, maybe that's why we had different reactions to the back half

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I almost impulse bought the Rush Hour set after seeing that artwork for the first time, even though I have no desire to actually rewatch any of those movies

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm also impatiently waiting for Sachin Teng to start selling prints again

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I almost impulse bought the Rush Hour set after seeing that artwork for the first time, even though I have no desire to actually rewatch any of those movies

I might rewatch the first one

The other two, pretty much never!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the only reason i'd see rush hour 3 would be to find out it kevin dillon had a cameo because his character was promised one in the bret ratner episode of entourage

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I'm still baffled by this
    For what possible reason

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    My favorite Pacific Rim track just might be "Call me Newt."

It's somehow a perfect fit and far too cool for the character at once.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Watched Victor Frankenstein, since my brother recorded it on our DVR.

It was... Alright. The true saving grace is the performances, especially McAvoy and Redcliffe and... That dude what plays the inspector who also was Moriarty in the BBC's Sherlock.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I'm still baffled by this
    For what possible reason
    because he's massively charismatic and fun to watch, and everyone who gets killed by him is some manner of horrible

Except for MAYBE the mom, who he apologizes to for killing her after the secret government man says that David has been programmed to kill everyone who finds out about him

He's a dude who's been fucked by the government and comes into this family's lives and tries to help them in his own weird way

he tries to leave multiple times and they keep having him stay

when the black suits come of course I'm going to root for him

he gives the kid a thumbs up for doing the right thing for stabbing him

he's the best

edit: AND he figures out a way around his programming by letting the kids think he's dead so he doesn't have to kill them

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    I'm finally watching Blood Punch

But holy shit

These accents are unforgivable

• Options
    Civil War was really good.

I really enjoyed Spider-Man in it

• Options

But holy shit

This is potentially the absolute worst manic pixie dream girl I have ever seen in a movie

• Options

But holy shit

This is potentially the absolute worst manic pixie dream girl I have ever seen in a movie

I guess maybe that was because it wasn't a good movie

That would follow

• Options

But holy shit

I guess maybe that was because it wasn't a good movie

That would follow

i mean

you're wrong

but okay

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Uh. Wow. Okay. Like. Um. I can't even... wow.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    There were some good ideas in there, but the writing was atrocious, the acting was pretty bad, and the characters were some of the least likable people I've seen this side of an episode of South Park

• Options
    still vehemently disagree

but i ain't pickin' a fight.

you got weird turn ons and turn offs re: movies so we ain't never gonna agree

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    yeah I thought the acting and writing were incredibly enjoyable

Olivia tennet is great in that movie

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla
    The Guest
    how was the father horrible
    How was the daughter's friend horrible

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople tonight

Fantastic, beautiful movie.

Having now seen it in a double feature with What We Do In Shadows, I can confirm that there are multiple hilarious in-jokes that would only make sense to a New Zealander that would be completely missed by international audiences. Which makes me love it even more.

Taika Waititi is a national treasure.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Vivixenne, your mentioning of The Incredibles pushed me into rewatching it this evening.

What a great movie.

That might be my favorite superhero movie. It's just knocking on all cylinders.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.