As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android: Netrunner and Project Nisei

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'm really okay with the restricted/banned list, especially since it seemed that Shapers really got the lightest hand in rotation/2.0. Everyone was already saying that there was no reason to play anything but lock Shaper decks that built a big rig and moneyed up and locked remotes, and they were probably right. There's a good reason for all of those cards to be on there. I regret Temujin Contract being banned, and would much rather have seen that on restricted (since that lessens incredibly the chance that it gets splashed, and it's priced right for Criminals), but everything else I can kind of nod and go along with.

I think if you're just playing in a pure core 2.0 meta or tournament, you don't worry about the restricted/banned list. Just build the decks and play. If someone wants to play in a regular tournament setting with only core cards, first, more power and luck to them, but second, they should be able to fill in gaps from restricted list cards by splashing from other factions. Like, literally from Core the Shaper player just has to decide if they want to play Aesop or MO, and decks weren't usually running both of those anyway.

• Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    I think the core of my problem here is trust. My local meta is pretty much dead, and Core 2 and rotation represent the best opportunity to try to get people back in the game or introduce them. If I have to immediately explain to them though that the new core has multiple cards that are soft banned and multiple cards in the newest cycle have been straight up banned it's going to make that harder, and possibly not worth trying for me. Why bother buying a pack if the cards you but it for might become scrap paper?

There is a definite sense with FFG that the left hand doesn't really know what the right is doing. If this is real, why not announce the whole thing together with core 2.0? And if they do think, say, Magnum or Aesop are a bit over the curve, why not print an errata'd version of them in core 2.0, which would be the perfect opportunity to make changes to existing cards? There's an impression that no one has overall responsibility and so nothing is really joined-up.

All that said, I think I'd be pretty happy to see something like this happen. I never really felt MWL achieved the goal it wanted to (you dropped non-busted influence from your decks and kept playing the busted cards), and a banned/restricted list ought to get rid of degenerate decks much more effectively.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The fact that several of those banned or restricted cards are from the most recent cycle indicates their testing process is pretty poor. Maybe the list is trying to draw a line underneath that, or they've simply decided to carry on the way they are and ban cards that slip through the inadequate QA process.

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    I'll be really happy if the banned/restricted list thing is real. Less for the cards that are on it, more that they're finally making use of a very powerful tool to balance the meta game.

Unsettled metas are dreadful for me personally because I'm very much not a deck builder and need other people to figure out what's good, but this shake up is great for the game as a whole. Exciting times.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I'm keen for a ban list, not as keen for a lengthy restricted list like that.

Also I'm really frustrated there's been yet another playtester leak.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm really okay with the restricted/banned list, especially since it seemed that Shapers really got the lightest hand in rotation/2.0. Everyone was already saying that there was no reason to play anything but lock Shaper decks that built a big rig and moneyed up and locked remotes, and they were probably right. There's a good reason for all of those cards to be on there. I regret Temujin Contract being banned, and would much rather have seen that on restricted (since that lessens incredibly the chance that it gets splashed, and it's priced right for Criminals), but everything else I can kind of nod and go along with.

I think if you're just playing in a pure core 2.0 meta or tournament, you don't worry about the restricted/banned list. Just build the decks and play. If someone wants to play in a regular tournament setting with only core cards, first, more power and luck to them, but second, they should be able to fill in gaps from restricted list cards by splashing from other factions. Like, literally from Core the Shaper player just has to decide if they want to play Aesop or MO, and decks weren't usually running both of those anyway.

I'm not looking forward to headbutting a bunch of brain damage. Runs feel binary. You either have the money to complete the run or you don't.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I can’t remember if it was Damon or Boggs saying this, but one of them in a recent interview about Core2 said that actually functionally changing cards that were getting reprinted was off the table. It was part of the deal that let them do Core2 in the first place, and the higher-ups were worried about having multiple different versions of the same card in the wild.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kester wrote: »
    I think the core of my problem here is trust. My local meta is pretty much dead, and Core 2 and rotation represent the best opportunity to try to get people back in the game or introduce them. If I have to immediately explain to them though that the new core has multiple cards that are soft banned and multiple cards in the newest cycle have been straight up banned it's going to make that harder, and possibly not worth trying for me. Why bother buying a pack if the cards you but it for might become scrap paper?

There is a definite sense with FFG that the left hand doesn't really know what the right is doing. If this is real, why not announce the whole thing together with core 2.0? And if they do think, say, Magnum or Aesop are a bit over the curve, why not print an errata'd version of them in core 2.0, which would be the perfect opportunity to make changes to existing cards? There's an impression that no one has overall responsibility and so nothing is really joined-up.

I would guess the team that does product announcements literally does not care about the team that does OP announcements.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Magnum Opus restricted seems crazy to me. It has a huge drawback (2 MU is not nothing), and there are two alternatives that do kind of the same thing (Professional Contacts, Laguna Velasco District). Some of the other restrictions are headscratchers, too, but I am not caught up enough on the metagame, so I guess I'll trust that they're OK.

Putting a deckbuilding price on Film Critic seems like a reasonable move, though. There are way too many threats that it disables.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Kester wrote: »

I would guess the team that does product announcements literally does not care about the team that does OP announcements.

There are three branches. OP, marketing, and development. Sometimes you can tell when they have squabbled.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    jinteki is the real winner from rotation

a lot of their hate cards got rotated out or restricted, and generally poor runners means they can't effectively leverage those that are remaining (caldera, feedback filter)

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    24/7 Philotic Personal Evolution, it is time for you to return!

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    24/7 Philotic Personal Evolution, it is time for you to return!

Turntable still exists right?

Might be much worse in a world without Breaking News though.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to do multiplayer games? I have a group of 4 that does magic and it is hard to play netrunner when we hang out because it is 1v1.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Nothing official, and the attempts I've heard of were weird and kinda janky.

Best one I've heard of was to pair up a runner and a corp together against another pair, you're after 11 combined agenda points (from stealing and scoring) and have a shared credit pool. There's a lot of silly ways you can game that, though, so no idea how practical it is!

Most of the time you're better of doing 1v1s and switching the pairs up.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Magnum Opus restricted seems crazy to me. It has a huge drawback (2 MU is not nothing), and there are two alternatives that do kind of the same thing (Professional Contacts, Laguna Velasco District). Some of the other restrictions are headscratchers, too, but I am not caught up enough on the metagame, so I guess I'll trust that they're OK.

Putting a deckbuilding price on Film Critic seems like a reasonable move, though. There are way too many threats that it disables.

Opus is restricted so it can't be played with inversificator, without defensive upgrades opus/inv/kit annihilates any deck that relies on ice.

This style of restricted list punishes combos not cards, if you wonder why a card is on there look for the other cards on the list it creates npe with.

• Options
    I sorta wish it was more of a pod-based restricted list.

Mopus/inv, pick one etc

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    We've got a restricted list (probably) adding more complications seems bad.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The more I contemplate it, the more I think I'm okay with Opus being restricted? Like, in every other form of credit generation in it's style they eventually run out or are limited in some way. Opus.. just keeps going. Constantly. Which adds this bit of resigning to... inevitability? on the Corp's side, and actually makes it hard to get scoring windows going.

I mean, to get something like that going credit-wise for the corp, they have to score a Government Takeover.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Played some c2+rotation+ban list rumour games on jnet today and it's been great fun. The experimenting period where no one knows what's going on is the best part of any card game.

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    The experimenting period where no one knows what's going on is the best part of any card game.

I hate that part :)

• Options
    Weaker multiaccess lets you get away with a lot more as the corp at least.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've ever played Netrunner when permanent R&D lock was not an ever-present threat

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So, I'm looking at some of the powers I've unlocked over the course of Terminal Directive and I just want to make sure on one of these because it seems... busted.

Ability spoilers for terminal directive:
    Whenever one of your cards is trashed, add it to the top of your stack instead of adding it to your heap if there are fewer than 3 remote servers.

This seems bonkers? Like, install bank job, run a remote server, get 8 credits and trash it, and put it back on top of my deck? Does it really fire when my cards trash themselves or only when the corp trashes my stuff?

It's bonkers!

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So, I'm looking at some of the powers I've unlocked over the course of Terminal Directive and I just want to make sure on one of these because it seems... busted.

Ability spoilers for terminal directive:
    Whenever one of your cards is trashed, add it to the top of your stack instead of adding it to your heap if there are fewer than 3 remote servers.

This seems bonkers? Like, install bank job, run a remote server, get 8 credits and trash it, and put it back on top of my deck? Does it really fire when my cards trash themselves or only when the corp trashes my stuff?

It's bonkers!
    It's arguably even more busted than your example. You play Sure Gamble. It trashes. It gets added to the top of your stack. Infinite money! Arguably annoying if you actually want to also draw new cards, however.

With the people I played with, we house ruled it that whenever the *corp* trashes one of your cards it gets cycled to the top. Which makes sense with all the killer ice and the existence of Hunter Seeker. But do whatever seems to make sense with you and your opponent.

• Options
    That ability is probably fair if the campaign is close; for example, the corp gets
    Choose whether your mandatory draw each turn is 0, 1, or 2 cards
    at a similar point of progression, which is also pretty nuts. But if the campaign is even slighly imbalanced, then acquiring powers like that could make the next few games very one-sided, which sucks. At least the runner ability mentioned is something the corp can try to disable, though it might require a massive overhaul of their deck.

• Options
    Part of the problem is that I'm 3 wins and 0 losses as the runner right now, and two of those wins were with my condition met to open the next pack, so I am quite well developed compared to my friend who still basically has their starting powers.

I love the idea of a netrunner legacy campaign but they could have definitely implemented some aspects better.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Part of the problem is that I'm 3 wins and 0 losses as the runner right now, and two of those wins were with my condition met to open the next pack, so I am quite well developed compared to my friend who still basically has their starting powers.

I love the idea of a netrunner legacy campaign but they could have definitely implemented some aspects better.

They went extremely win-more with the legacy design. Kinda feels like no one playtested it, which is sort of consistent with that period of Netrunner development.

• Options
    Win more mechanics are some of my least favorite things in games and it's rather souring me on the campaign, unfortunately.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Win more mechanics are some of my least favorite things in games and it's rather souring me on the campaign, unfortunately.

A lot of people felt this way about Terminal Directive. I sympathize.

• Options

yeah this is almost exactly what happened in my campaign except it was my friend playing corp who advanced his story state with every win he got

I actually didn't get to open my "lose 4 games" catchup pack til I lost the game lol

• Options
    From a balance point of view, winning games should lead to your opponents getting buffed so there is more chance they win the next game.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Terminal Directive was horribly balanced. I've never been more bored when playing Netrunner.

• Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    We essentially balanced TD ourselves and it became pretty fun. But it does require house-ruling some of the abilities on the basis of "Well, that's just nonsense," and building decks with a focus on whether they'll produce interesting games rather than whether they'll be the strongest. FFG definitely dropped the ball and put all of the responsibility onto the players.

The thing I most enjoyed about the campaign was the deckbuilding bluff and double bluff between games: I started off as murder-Weyland, switched to vegan for precisely as long as it took for my opponent to cotton on that that's what had happened (I think it took a couple of games), then went back to murder again when he tried to adapt to the vegan deck :D

• Options
    Cerberus wrote: »
    From a balance point of view, winning games should lead to your opponents getting buffed so there is more chance they win the next game.

I think the big difference between TD and stuff like pandemic legacy or risk legacy is that the rewards and new cards etc belong to one player rather than the entire group. Risk by its nature shakes things up every time you play, and since most of the effects were either to the board or units in general, everyone got to share in the new fun or upgrades. Pandemic is a co-op, so you share all the new stuff and if something happens to one player everyone shares in the excitement or agony.

But TD just gives stuff to the winner, and eventually the loser (if you lose 4 games lol), which basically just snowballs like mad. It also means that you have to start the campaign with your A-game face on, because losing the first game could result in the campaign going downhill for you very quickly (as it did for me, when I built a goofy deck for the first game). So the winner gets more and more story and cool cards and the loser just gets... nothing.

I'm not sure that only giving stuff to the loser is the best option. Honestly I think the campaign would've been better if the story was completely unified, rather than two separate storylines. and the rewards could've been based on the story progressing, for both sides, rather than just based on pure rewards for one side doing one thing or the other.

TD was cool but I honestly think the entire campaign system wasn't very well thought out.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    No question, the right approach is to give both players something simultaneously, or at least have the ability to do so. The resource/agenda you each start with that does something if you win with it "scored" could have been something to mitigate losing (you still achieved something specific during your game, so have a thing!) instead of the primary thing to push the ... "story" forward. The campaign could have been chunked up a bit with both players racing to a certain milestone - A race to win 3 games, at which point both players open a new pack of cards and the 3-game winner gets an extra bonus/something, then you both have a new core objective for the next part of the arc. There could have been way more of an escalation in the powers coming out instead of how quickly these genuinely crazy fucking things hit the board (people have mentioned bringing your A-game to win, but you actually had to bring your A-game to play around those crazy restrictions [except not, apparently ... I dunno, no spoilers here]).

It's a mess. We all know it. Someone got the go-ahead or the command to produce it with way too little time or support (or they were just genuinely terrible at this kind of design). Maybe we'll get a better one down the road, though after this and the waning state of the game most places, I dunno how well it would do.
    *shrug*

• Options
    Even aside from the snowballing powers of the winner, it also seems problematic that it's so much easier to advance your storyline as the corp than as a runner. Scoring a 3/2 agenda is something that's going to happen incidentally on your way to victory as the corp. Getting a particular resource drawn and installed before stealing the last agenda as a runner isn't something that's necessarily going to happen. And the corp has options for burning the resource before it gets scored. So even if both players are winning similar number of games, the corp is likely to race ahead on campaign progress.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I haven't tried it, but https://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/6hboxj/watchdog_an_unofficial_narrative_campaign_for/ looks pretty great.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Terminal Directive is such a cool concept, I'm real bummed it sounds like they didn't do it justice.

Especially as someone doesn't quite have the energy for competitive Netrunner (and anyway I think the local scene has died a bit) it seemed like it would have been a nice way to have some evolving fun with a friend. Plus I love storytelling in games.

• Options
    Does anyone have any idea what a good deck is right now?

Interested in hearing what has been working for people in the ban list meta.