As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    Also I'm not sure where Kay is getting "2/3s" of anything from.

A large set is closer to 2/3 the total block than 1/2.

Ah ok. That makes sense from a sheer number-of-cards perspective.

Yeah, I was mostly trying to get my head around going from such a HUGE card pool to such a small one. Instead, we're going from 5 sets to 3-and-a-bit, that's not too bad.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Also I'm not sure where Kay is getting "2/3s" of anything from.

A large set is closer to 2/3 the total block than 1/2.

Ah ok. That makes sense from a sheer number-of-cards perspective.

Yeah, I was mostly trying to get my head around going from such a HUGE card pool to such a small one. Instead, we're going from 5 sets to 3-and-a-bit, that's not too bad.

Yeah there should never be fewer than 5 individual set releases in standard at any time. "(Big/small)x2 + big" is its smallest size (immediately after fall rotation), with "(big/small)x4" the largest (as of the summer small set release any given year).

• Options
    I think I might try to get back into standard.

The decks I'm looking to build are:

Jund Aggro: Snek, Voltaic Brawler, Longtooth Cub, Rishkar, Bristling Hydra, etc. Access to Unlicensed Disintegration.

BR Artifact Aggro: Scrapheap Scrounger, Bomat Courier, Walking Ballista, fill it out with solid B and R aggro creatures. Pia's Revolution to keep recurring Ballista, the red and black implements, etc. Access to Unlicensed Disintegration.

BR Control: Yahenni, good removal, board wipes, incidental creatures for Yahenni to gain indestructible, etc. Access to Unlicensed Disintegration.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Jund Aggro: Snek, Voltaic Brawler, Longtooth Cub, Rishkar, Bristling Hydra, etc. Access to Unlicensed Disintegration.

BR Artifact Aggro: Scrapheap Scrounger, Bomat Courier, Walking Ballista, fill it out with solid B and R aggro creatures. Pia's Revolution to keep recurring Ballista, the red and black implements, etc. Access to Unlicensed Disintegration.

BR Control: Yahenni, good removal, board wipes, incidental creatures for Yahenni to gain indestructible, etc. Access to Unlicensed Disintegration.
    Hrm. For some reason, I think you want access to Unlicensed Disintegration. Not sure why... :D

Would Weldfast Engineer slot in as a 3 drop for BR Artifact Aggro?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Hrm. For some reason, I think you want access to Unlicensed Disintegration. Not sure why... :D

That was basically the list caused the "begin combat" shortcut discussion at the PT.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    So a store near me is going to do a Duel Commander event for FNM. (Although it may be the 30-life version, Leviathan.) I've never really played that format but it sounds fun, so now I'm trying to decide between playing Jenara or Maelstrom Wanderer.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So a store near me is going to do a Duel Commander event for FNM. (Although it may be the 30-life version, Leviathan.) I've never really played that format but it sounds fun, so now I'm trying to decide between playing Jenara or Maelstrom Wanderer.

I had a Maelstrom Wanderer deck for a while. It is really fun though I prefer going Yidris for cascade now.

I always recommend EDHRec for good suggestions on what to put into a deck.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Well I've got regular multiplayer versions of both, they just take some streamlining for 1v1 play. I'm not sure what the power level is gonna be, so I could play Wanderer without the eternally suggested Time Walks and mass land destruction.

Edit: Whoah, when did EDHrec add a page for each Partner combo!?

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Turns out there's not as many artifacts in there as I'd like for Weldfast. I'm working on that list presently, I'll probably have something to report by the weekend.

Though I do want the 3 drop 3/2 that returns artifacts to hand when they finally do hit the yard through Revolution.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Stragint wrote: »

I had a Maelstrom Wanderer deck for a while. It is really fun though I prefer going Yidris for cascade now.

I have promised my FNM group that my Maelstrom Wanderer deck is semi-retired. I only bring it with me if we have a draft scheduled that night. If the draft doesn't fire and I have to play Commander instead, my pod is under the threat of being combo'd out at some point between turns 5-8 depending on how many "double" lands I draw and if I win the cascade coin flip and hit Seismic Assault before Treasure Hunt shows up. I've only had to make good on this threat once ("Hey, I wanted to draft.")

Since I've built the Yidris deck I haven't used it at FNM.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Ahahahahahaahahahaha Maelstrom Wanderer, Seismic Assault, Treasure Hunt, and 97 land? That's evil and hilarious and I love it.

• Options
    Ahahahahahaahahahaha Maelstrom Wanderer, Seismic Assault, Treasure Hunt, and 97 land? That's evil and hilarious and I love it.

I wish I could take credit for it but I saw it posted by someone else here.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Good luck living for 8 turns of doing absolutely stone cold nothing in a game of Commander.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

I wish I could take credit for it but I saw it posted by someone else here.

I ran the same deck for goofs for a while. My friend runs a Ashling deck with 60 something mountains so we thought it would be funny to have that Maelstrom deck with it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Good luck living for 8 turns of doing absolutely stone cold nothing in a game of Commander.

my commander group certainly got away with it, I was the only person who really did things before turn 5 and I certainly wasn't threatening to kill anyone by then unless I got the nut draw

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017

8 turns is also the worst-case scenario. 10 of my lands can effectively generate double mana (Myriad Landscape, Blighted Woodland, Saprazzan Skerry, Hickory Woodlot, Sandstone Needle, Svyelunite Temple, Dwarven Ruins, Havenwood Battleground, Temple of the False God, and Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper); every one of them I find accelerates me a turn. Thespian's Stage can copy the non-depletion lands, and I'm also running five charge-lands or equivalents (Fungal Reaches, Mage-Ring Network, Mercadian Bazaar, Saprazzan Cove, and Springjack Pasture) that can contribute in a pinch.

Magical Christmasland is going off on turn 5 from four of the double lands or an early charge land and three of the doubles.

In the meantime, creature-lands and Mystifying Maze can do things so it's not necessarily doing nothing, and I'm running all of the refuge lands I can for a little extra life padding to help me get there.

Unless the entire table knows what you're up to it's also pretty likely that someone else will present themselves as a bigger threat than the guy sitting there doing nothing but play lands like he has the worst case of flood ever.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

as fun as it is to post my 30 Shadowborne Apostle deck, it really requires everyone at the table to be on board with "let INANTP get at least one apostle activation" to work

getting out 6 creatures is no joke

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Springjack Pasture

YOU MONSTER

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Springjack Pasture

YOU MONSTER

Hey the lord of the Maelstrom occasionally demands a sacrifice.

If it helps I don't think I've ever actually used it.

• Options

as fun as it is to post my 30 Shadowborne Apostle deck, it really requires everyone at the table to be on board with "let INANTP get at least one apostle activation" to work

getting out 6 creatures is no joke

I think 30 might not be enough. Friend of mine said 45 is the magic number to basically be "sure" you've drawn 4 by turn 3, but even that seems like not quite enough, to me? That means you're averaging 6 by 15 cards, which is turn 8, normally.

• Options
    it's much more of a casual table list than anything else

i mean i'm running cards like ob nixilis original and bloodgift demon

if i was playing a more serious list, i wouldn't be packing any demons except Rune-Scarred, Abhorrent Overlord, Extractor Demon, and Pestilence Demon

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    hmmmmm, you know what both the green and black Retreats have fun synergy with

Walking Ballista

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ok I know I'm wait late to this complaint, but I been working like crazy so hadn't been on MTGO in months and just finally reinstalled tonight to hop on and do a draft

Who smoked a ton of crack and thought to shit all over current draft format? this league stuff is wtf, ( like league is fine on it's own, but to have it completely replace proper fire when full draft pods? forcing league? this is stupid, and ruins 1/3 of the point of draft in the first place. might as well play sealed since half the strategy of draft is now void and it's all about who got the best pool now.)

edit: and usually I have a buddy that we do drafts together, always fun when we either line up in the finals, or have to stomp one another in round 1, but now , I guess we just don't get to draft or play together. Thanks Wotc you wanks

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Yeah, I thought they were keeping it, but only previous sets seem to have pods firing. It's kind of pants.

• Options
    For a while they had leagues and 8mans side by side, but iirc the leagues were firing more often than 8mans (that means 256 signing up for a league before EIGHT PEOPLE for a draft) so they shut the regular ass drafts down.

I could be misremembering entirely, though.

• Options
    Yeah, I thought they were keeping it, but only previous sets seem to have pods firing. It's kind of pants.

Ya like I get league, and if it weren't forced on me, I probably wouldn't care, but what the hell wotc? just straight up league only for your current set?

Do any sites still buy tix for a decent price? Like, I'm hoping I calm or something, but this has me legitimately considering just selling off my MTGO entirely ( have 200ish tix and half the power 9)

• Options
    So I played around a bit. Seems a bit heavy on 3-drops, maybe. Any suggestions/advice?
    Maindeck:
    9 Mountain
    7 Swamp
    3 Smoldering Marsh
    3 Foreboding Ruins

4 Bomat Courier
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Scrapheap Scrounger
    2 Forerunner of Slaughter
    2 Weldfast Engineer
    2 Pia Nalaar
    1 Herald of Anguish

2 Heart of Kiran
    1 Aethersphere Harvester

3 Implement of Combustion

3 Shock
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Unlicensed Disintegration
    3 Pia's Revolution

Sideboard:
    1 Pia's Revolution
    1 Fatal Push
    1 Herald of Anguish
    1 Shock
    1 Pia Nalaar
    3 Implement of Malice
    1 Aethersphere Harvester
    4 Transgress the Mind
    2 Release the Gremlins

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    t3TyAn0.jpg?1

Dusk (?) - 2ww
    Sorcery
    Destroy all creatures with power greater or equal to 3

Dawn (?) - 3ww
    Sorcery
    Consequence - Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it.
    Return all creature cards with power less than or equal to 2 from your graveyard to your hand.

Still being confirmed, but that's a pretty wild design.

Sweet Wrath though.

• Options
    Blurgh, 1-3 tonight with the win being thanks to some terrible mana screw on their part. Getting ripped up by negates and transgresses, and a billion chandras (both 4 and 6 mana) with none of my walker removals wanting to show up. Probably need to go back to 2 slaughter and take the bullet and go for 4 anguished unmakings

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    played mm2017 draft, deck was insane which means I was guaranteed to lose and the prophecy came true

good set tho

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    if anyone says wotc is holding back due to new world order, point to walking ballista

now that we're several weeks in i can't believe how complex that makes board states

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    t3TyAn0.jpg?1

Dusk (?) - 2ww
    Sorcery

Dawn (?) - 3ww
    Sorcery
    Return all creature cards with power less than or equal to 2 from your graveyard to your hand.

Sweet Wrath though.

I really hope that's fake, because that is some godawful card layout. There's just no good reason to not just do that as Kamigawa-flip card.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I went 3-0 with br beatdowns featuring foil Olivia voldaren and 2 white fetches for value

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    t3TyAn0.jpg?1

Dusk (?) - 2ww
    Sorcery

Dawn (?) - 3ww
    Sorcery

Sweet Wrath though.

I really hope that's fake, because that is some godawful card layout. There's just no good reason to not just do that as Kamigawa-flip card.

He's put up some follow up shots, looks like they're real.

• Options
    what i want to know is what was the market research that lead to them assuming people organized their graveyards in such a way that that's the way to go

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    if anyone says wotc is holding back due to new world order, point to walking ballista

now that we're several weeks in i can't believe how complex that makes board states

Walking Ballista is super fun to hit with Lifecraft Awakening in limited.

• Options
    what i want to know is what was the market research that lead to them assuming people organized their graveyards in such a way that that's the way to go

It's a weird choice. 90% of graveyards I see are to the side of the library in the same alignment.

Exiled cards tend to be the ones on a right angle, if not in a separate pile.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I'd assumed the intent here is that people will start doing the android netrunner thing, where a subset of cards (face down ones) in graveyard are turned on their side.
    Shrug though.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
This discussion has been closed.