As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BEER] The Lacing on This Thread is Breathtaking. Mouthfeel

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I'm a bit over half way through a growler of local Porter. I was hoping to be drinking Pumpkin Spice Amber, but they were sold out.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I'm brewing a dubbel today! My first Belgian, also my first beer that could be described as a 'big beer'. My brewing stuff has been sitting unused for like 2 months, so I'm dreading having to probably pre-clean everything more than usual.

Recipe I'm going with:
    13 lb Pilsner
    8 oz Aromatic Malt
    8 oz C45
    8 oz C120
    4 oz Victory Malt
    0.5 oz German Magnum @ 60
    0.5 oz Mt Hood @ 15
    Whirlfloc tablet @ 15
    0.5 oz Mt Hood @ 5
    1 lb “Golden” liquid candi sugar @ 5
    Mangrove Jack’s Belgian Abbey Yeast (2 packets)

I really need my own mill. Having to mill at the store eats up like 10 minutes of the owner's time, which sucks when other people are in line too.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I still want to get more honey for brewing but it is super expensive!

I would probably save a bit per pound if I got a 60 lbs bucket but I don't have the probably couple hundred laying around at the moment.

Plus I'd probably need a few new pieces of equipment. And I'd probably bottle it in beer bottles this time since I rarely have anyone to share a fifth with.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    pfffft okay later

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I picked up a six-pack of Stone Brewery Xocoveza, and it is very tasty. It's a stout based on Mexican hot chocolate, with cinnamon and cocoa flavors. Very seasonal.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Hey, managed to get my hands on a six of that the other day too. The praise it gets is very well deserved. The aroma made me worried that the pepper was going to hit hard, but it's really subtle and well balanced with everything else. Just a mouthful of flavor.

• Options
    I got some Great Lakes Brewing Christmas Ale.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Pretty certain that if the beer thread were Rotten Tomatoes, Xocoveza would be 100% Fresh.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Pretty certain that if the beer thread were Rotten Tomatoes, Xocoveza would be 100% Fresh.

Indeed! It is also one of the beers most effected by drinking temperature. I do not like it at all straight out of the fridge, the flavor balance is out of wack. A half hour or so to warm up though, and its amazing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The Judge wrote: »

Indeed! It is also one of the beers most effected by drinking temperature. I do not like it at all straight out of the fridge, the flavor balance is out of wack. A half hour or so to warm up though, and its amazing.

This is a valuable piece of information, I would have 5sure drank it out of the fridge. When I find my sixer (maybe? Hopfully? Probably not here in Alberta) I'll keep this in mind.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I agree with that. I'm a slow drinker, and the second half was much more flavorful than the first half. I'm gonna let my next bottle rest outside the fridge for a while.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I will get some Xocoveza this year.

• Options
    I popped open a Christmas ale. I can really notice the spices. but it isn't too bitter or too sweet for me. quite nice actually.

I should have gotten it a bit cooler though.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I want to get some of that Xocoveza

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I'm going to asphyxiate myself on hops this Christmas.

The family will mourn, but I'll die happy.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I'm going to asphyxiate myself on hops this Christmas.

The family will mourn, but I'll die happy.

As an upside, you'll definitely stay fresh until after the holidays.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    So if you ever find yourself in Quebec for some reason, go to your local Metro and grab a half litre bottle of Blasphematoire. It is a quintupul imperial and it is amazing.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    I went looking for that Stone Xocoveza. I did not find it. I did buy a six pack of Victory Black Forest Cake Stout with cherry.

And a bottle of Rogue Sriracha Hot Stout Beer

I've never had either.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I want to try the Sriracha but I've only ever seen $15 bombers and I'm not taking that risk on a Rogue Beer.

• Options
    Yeah, the Sriracha Hot Stout Beer I bought was a $15 bomber. I will let you know how it tastes.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Tried xocoveza last night. Liked the aftertaste but stouts and their ilk don't do much for me.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Xocoveza is so good that I actually started drinking other stouts despite generally not liking them prior.

• Options
    I was gonna pick up Xocoveza, this weekend, but my bottle shop didn't have singles and I didn't feel like committing to a 6er. I grabbed a single of Evil Twin Even More Jesus and it has surpassed Modern Times Black House as my favorite stout (which I also grabbed in a MT variety pack). EMJ pours like motor oil and tastes divine. I need to go get more.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    As President Roosevelt said, "What America needs now is a drink."

It's National Repeal Day, when Prohibition ended in 1933. I don't drink during the work week, but I'll be having one or a few tonight as I celebrate by committing virtual crime on Payday 2 with the latest dlc on xbox (yes there are dozens of us that still play.)

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Man I'm delving down the rabbit hole to build an all electric, all grain system to brew 1.5 gallons, or roughly a 12 pack. I think with a small induction cook top and a temp controller I can probably put together a good biab system that can get up to temp in a decent amount of time.

I would prefer a heating element setup but that is a whole lot more work I might not be capable of.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    As President Roosevelt said, "What America needs now is a drink."

It's National Repeal Day, when Prohibition ended in 1933. I don't drink during the work week, but I'll be having one or a few tonight as I celebrate by committing virtual crime on Payday 2 with the latest dlc on xbox (yes there are dozens of us that still play.)

I didnt know this, but i've already started celebrating with two Tsing Taos with my lunch, then trivia at one of the local breweries for dinner.

• Options
    National Repeal Day? Awesome.

Consider this barrel-aged stout from Pfriem my salute.

• Options
    I've got a bottle of Pelican Brewing Lager Cerveza and its going down pretty smooth let me tell you.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Thank you for alerting me to Repeal Day, as it prompted me to suggest me and my buddy get a drink after Coco last night

I had something called the Inner Dinosaur IPA (I choose my drinks based on weird names a lot)

But also I had a great conversation, A + bar experience, would Repeal Day again

• Options
    @Raijin Quickfoot

The Sriracha Hot Stout Beer is very good

Not too spicy

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The nice thing about Lagunitas brewing in Chicago now is that I can pick up a couple of cases of Brown Shugga pretty easily now.

Merry Drunkmas, daddy's too tired to put your toys together.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    This season I've had 3 vintages of Kentucky Breakfast stout including this year, AND this years Canadian Breakfast stout (like the KBS, but instead of finishing in a bourbon barrel, they take a barrel that made bourbon, that was then sent to have maple syrup aged in it, and age it in THAT) and...ya'll this is all pretty darn good. Not beer dick waving, cause I drink hella PBR too, but if you see these, they ARE worth it (well, around like, $8-12 per 10oz glass, beyond that fuck it, it's beer, I'm sure something else is good too)

• Options
    CBS is really good and it's awesome it's getting a real release. Before it always had to be on tap at special events so now that there are bottles it's worth picking up. But that is generally a safe call for all Founder's beers.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I'm having a hard time putting it in the grocery basket. Great, sure.... But is it $24 a bomber great? I really want it to be.... But I can buy a good amount of decently great beer for $24

• Options
    I'm having a hard time putting it in the grocery basket. Great, sure.... But is it $24 a bomber great? I really want it to be.... But I can buy a good amount of decently great beer for $24

I'd go with the decently great beer instead of it. Depends on how much you enjoy the experience of a beer that is rare and very alcoholic. I've had a 10 oz drink of CBS once and that was good for me. Maybe sometime I'll do it again, but that can get you two craft sixers which is always good.

• Options
    The hesitation is justified. You gotta do what's best for your wallet.

I have a hard rule that once they clear a dollar per ounce, it has to be something I've had before and it better be The Greatest Thing I've Had In Forever.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I want any alcoholic beverage that has the word “Breakfast” in it.

• Options
    Speaking of expensive beer. Stopped by a local brewery to ask if they still had their Christmas barleywine (previously I had been told it seems out fairly quickly). Depending on the vintage the bottles were $30, $40 or $50. I'll stick to getting a glass.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    @QuantumTurk this thread is ALL ABOUT beer dick waving

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ...Beer dick?