Options

Ultimate [chat]bee

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm not really sure how much accurate, objective information on target acquisition they're getting for drones. It's not exactly transparent.

I'm sorry for your loss.

idgi

I was just trying to shoehorn in a stock response-to-grief phrase and that seemed to fit the best with the lack of drone target acquisition heuristics knowledge for whatever allegedly accountability/democratic purposes you desire them for

I'm just gearing up, I need some coffee, even bernie mac had a bad day at the apollo once

yes

this is just an off day for you

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Hello, good morning

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I hope the new Macbook Pros get a killer spec bump that make them actually worth their price again. I'd trade up if that happens.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure how much accurate, objective information on target acquisition they're getting for drones. It's not exactly transparent.

I'm sorry for your loss.

idgi

I was just trying to shoehorn in a stock response-to-grief phrase and that seemed to fit the best with the lack of drone target acquisition heuristics knowledge for whatever allegedly accountability/democratic purposes you desire them for

I'm just gearing up, I need some coffee, even bernie mac had a bad day at the apollo once

yes

More like an off decade.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    the elevators in my building have a rather complex algorithm that calculates time of day, floors to rest on, leaving doors open at specific times, etc. etc.

It's actually kind of impressive the thought that goes into managing thousands of workers and 54 floors.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    The "you're in our thoughts and prayers" really gets under my skin for some reason.

I've always been tempted to ask them to pray to a specific entity not corresponding to their belief system.

"Thank you, Yaweh hears your prayers."

Watch how conflicted they become.

If you want bonus points, use Allah.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    the algorithms involved in my current job are basically to decide ho
    I occasionally think back to survival situations and how hard it must have been for early humans because I look around and.. there's food, but not nearly enough food to sustain several people without farms.

But then I remember, before humans became what we are there was probably a lot more animals and wild edible plants just everywhere.

Makes me wonder what the earth looked like before.

Then I remember the outdoors is fucking scary even knowing what I know, and humans definitely made a shitty situation so much better, even at the cost of a lot of wildlife.

too bad we're still animals with a biological imperative to breed and as we made conditions better for us we also kept making more of us because we could sustain it and

poo
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Guy next to me complained that he won't have time to finish the project because he's going to Richmond for Halloween. Tragic.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    too bad we're still animals with a biological imperative to breed and as we made conditions better for us we also kept making more of us because we could sustain it and

yes but
    zYVMFxZl.jpg

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I'm sorry for your loss.

idgi

yes

More like an off decade.

Oh yeah? Well I'm sorry for your loss.

n-nailed it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    porpporp Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    What if you really do mean you're keeping them in your thoughts? I am careful never to add the "prayers" part unless I know where they stand with religion and their practices. I honestly think shitting on that phrase or people that use it is disgusting.

porp on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I hope the new Macbook Pros get a killer spec bump that make them actually worth their price again. I'd trade up if that happens.

RUMORS (nothing confirmed) say that the high end models may have polaris chips in them, which would be the most high end GPU for the time of release they have ever put in a non-mac pro.

That would be pretty great. Skylake though and not Kaby Lake which is annoying.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

They're going from Haswell to Skylake (unless Intel sped up the Kaby Lake-U rollout by several months), so basically 10% better IPC and significantly better battery life. Probably more RAM, etc, too.

Edit: And yeah, the GPU will be way better.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    The "you're in our thoughts and prayers" really gets under my skin for some reason.

I've always been tempted to ask them to pray to a specific entity not corresponding to their belief system.

"Thank you, Yaweh hears your prayers."

Watch how conflicted they become.

If you want bonus points, use Allah.

Thanks so much! Drop by for the Ancestral Blessing ceremony at the graveyard at 2PM Friday. See you there!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    we have a placebo thermostat at work

it works

We used to have those. It was funny watching people angrily adjust them back and forth when I sat opposite one

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    porp wrote: »
    What if you really do mean you're keeping them in your thoughts? I am careful never to add the "prayers" part unless I know where they stand with religion and their practices. I honestly think shorting on that phrase or people that use it is disgusting.

https://youtu.be/UXrB7Y6gVN8

I have an app for these things, its way easier.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I am 100% certain it won't be Kaby Lake, because while Apple has gotten early access to intel stuff in the past, Apple and Intel are slowly becoming competitors in the chip design space and I don't think their relationship is as healthy as it was 7 years ago.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Woot woot!

Potential job has moved on to reference checking!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Vine is being killed by twitter.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    the elevators in my building have a rather complex algorithm that calculates time of day, floors to rest on, leaving doors open at specific times, etc. etc.

It's actually kind of impressive the thought that goes into managing thousands of workers and 54 floors.

Yeah this is kind of necessary in high rise buildings.

Also, supertalls will have like, intermediary banks and different banks serving different floors and so on

it's kinda fascinating!

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I have no idea if my problems with this SSD are the SSD itself or something else.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Saying "I'm thinking about you" isn't empty. It is meant to make people feel less alone, like they're going through a hard time as part of a community (even a remote one) instead of in isolation.

Maybe don't look to Anthony Jeselnik as your guiding light for dealing with grieving people.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i just went to adjust my jeans because they had ridden up a bit and i punched myself in the balls

one of those kinds of days

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

it works

We used to have those. It was funny watching people angrily adjust them back and forth when I sat opposite one

It's weird how many cliques form in regards to the thermostat too.

You've got the people who are always cold trying to turn it up. The people who are always arm trying to turn it down. The people who hate one of those groups who will stop by right after one of them changes it and they're not paying attention.

I will say that the office manager here doesn't know how it works, because the AC was turning on earlier today in a 68 degree office.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am 100% certain it won't be Kaby Lake, because while Apple has gotten early access to intel stuff in the past, Apple and Intel are slowly becoming competitors in the chip design space and I don't think their relationship is as healthy as it was 7 years ago.

Yeah.

They might have gotten the new Y-series Core m chips for a 12" Macbook update since those are generally available, though.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The best part of being the person who prints out the birthday card to pass around work is I get to be the first person to sign so can put in any low effort phrase. Running out of microsoft office birthday card templates though.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    i just went to adjust my jeans because they had ridden up a bit and i punched myself in the balls

How? Like what the fuck were you doing?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The fundamental problem that algorithms are created by biased people is hard to avoid

It really captures the inherent problems of rationalism and scientism: the fact that you can cloak something in the guise of objectivity and rational authority when it is still very much subject to bias.

What utterly cripples me about this though is that I would rather be critically aware of the problems of algorithm-based outcomes (their inputs, and thus outputs, being steeped in ideology and irrationality and so on) rather than eschewing the process altogether. Of course one always thinks they understand far more than they actually do when it comes to ultra-complicated machinery, but

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Saying "I'm thinking about you" isn't empty. It is meant to make people feel less alone, like they're going through a hard time as part of a community (even a remote one) instead of in isolation.

Maybe don't look to Anthony Jeselnik as your guiding light for dealing with grieving people.

The thinking about you isn't necessarily the problem. It's the coupling it with the "our prayers" part. My older brother doesn't pray, we all know he doesn't. So when someone says that it feels like, to me anyways, them going, "lol sorry about your accident, get better"

which is great, but it feels mocking

maybe not to my brother, but to me anyways

and it upsets me a bit

because it's hallow in this specific case (where my older brother is within a stones throw and could visit him just to cheer him up)

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

That'll learn ya

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    filled out my mail in voter ballot but left it in my car for two days because i didn't have a good mailbox to drop it in

pretty rough voting conditions here in seattle

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

i'm not even sure

it wasn't really a punch it was kind of between a chop and a slap

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

it works

It's weird how many cliques form in regards to the thermostat too.

You've got the people who are always cold trying to turn it up. The people who are always arm trying to turn it down. The people who hate one of those groups who will stop by right after one of them changes it and they're not paying attention.

I will say that the office manager here doesn't know how it works, because the AC was turning on earlier today in a 68 degree office.

What I hate in the winter is normalization. Which should be turned off. Because if its left on when the temp gets over the set degree it turns on the AC and no one fucking wants that in January.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

one of those kinds of daysliterally every day ever

Arch,
  • Options

Maybe he pulled down and the pants weren't giving up that easily and it snapped back and hit himself in the balls.

• Options
    oh i thought you said pinched not punched

eh

Arch,
  • Options
    filled out my mail in voter ballot but left it in my car for two days because i didn't have a good mailbox to drop it in

You can drop those off at city halls now. I guess Kim Wyman wants to keep her job even though she's awful at it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    look in the moment like that you don't really stop and analyze what happened

you just kind of wince and try not to tear up too much

• Options

You can drop those off at city halls now. I guess Kim Wyman wants to keep her job even though she's awful at it.

who do i vote for to get the sonics back

Arch,
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    ever sit on your own balls?

that's the worst

This discussion has been closed.