Options

Ultimate [chat]bee

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Now I want to make copper.

GOD I can't wait to have access to a forge. I'm going to burn ALL THE THINGS

Right?! worth a pretty penny these days too. And will prolly only go up.

We had a coil of thick gauge old grounding wire stolen from one of our mountain tops. Thing was probably worth a bit more these days.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I got a new belt cause my old one came apart from wear and it's like New Mexico as hell.

It's got like bead patterns and cowboy shit on it and my wife saw it and was all "oh my god" and I was like "jealous..."

Fucking texas ass buckle though is digging into my stomach when I'm hunched over a keyboard. This belt wasn't made for a sittin' man

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    The "you're in our thoughts and prayers" really gets under my skin for some reason.

As a saying that is synonymous with meaningless platitude in the face of the consequences of political platforms?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The "you're in our thoughts and prayers" really gets under my skin for some reason.

People feel helpless and don't know what to say so they use a default. Try not to be too uncharitable about it, IMO. My gf's stepdad is in really bad shape at the hospital and I have no words of comfort; I can understand retreating to "thoughts and prayers"

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    okay right, so are going to trust cars to drive themselves

let's get to that point before we let robots kill people and decide who lives or dies themselves

related, www.wnyc.org/story/its-us-versus-algorithms/
    this segment is really interesting about how we're letting algorithms do a lot of things which can be good, but can also often be really deterimental to the people who are on the losing end, if we're not careful
    (interview with this lady who wrote a book, used to work at DE Shaw - tech hedge fund - and saw the negative affects of it)

like algorithms that go into criminal sentencing, or health care decisions, or loan approvals, etc

very interesting
    algorithms also tend to have strong white or male bias at the heuristic level and is a big concern
    also outsourcing decisions to algorithms has the danger of freeing us from our responsibilities/consequences of decision making and is a bad thing too

ya
    It was a good listen

I fucked up the hyperlink

Http://www.wnyc.org/story/its-us-versus-algorithms/

I think I saw this linked elsewhere, but I am immediately biased against listening it by the cutesy title 'it's us vs algorithms'

I believe strongly in a future where a lot of stuff is algorithmically determined and on average everyone is better off for it, and I view said future quite favorably.

But if it it vital, I will put it in my list for listening material during gaming.

it's a quick listen and worthwhile i thought

don't let title written by a new yorker editor put you off

there are lots of good things that come from algorithms, but it's important to watch out for the dangers and pitfalls in refining them and making sure we use them wisely and not blindly

e.g. things like, oh this recidivism algorithm leads to people automatically being punished worse cuz they are black
    https://www.propublica.org/article/machine-bias-risk-assessments-in-criminal-sentencing

Sure although...the pedant in me which I try to keep down generally says "BUT an algorithm is just a set way to solve a problem and you can have an algorithm for baking a cake; it doesn't mean making decisions through nebulously trained neural nets--if that's what we're worried about"

Humans follow algorithms and heuristics to decide on recidivism rates too, sometimes explicitly ie via checklist and sometimes just in their head where it can be more ambiguous, and those are also biased processes and automation is just nottttt the problem here!

Automatic targeting, if shown to actually be functional under a variety of lighting/weather conditions, at the range of relevant resolutions, and for subjects with varying degrees of occlusion--and with mechanisms in place to disengage if the target isn't found--is good! Why is this worse than a human operator? Is it because we really want someone to feel guilty about pressing the red button I guess?
    I suppose it's true that historically a lot of sodiers didn't really aim their guns at the enemy and just kinda shot, and as such there's something to human targeting leading to fewer casualties (but a less effective army...), but...I'm not sure that really applies to the way war is conducted now...

The problem is the belief that algorithmic or heuristic methods are unbiased or reliable, or the lack of oversight/rigorous, data-driven evaluation

Those recidivism algorithms are apparently almost never validated, and when they are it's by their creators. Some of which are for-profit organizations. And then a judge who isn't aware of these things is presented with information wearing the clothes of rational, reliable, objective instruments and makes decisions on that basis.

Algorithms for automatic targeting might be great--but they might also be killing innocent people on the regular. Without oversight, without validation, without transparency, it's very easy to slip into the assumption of objectivity and reliance on purportedly rational systems that hide their bias and their flaws.

There is nothing inherently wrong with algorithmic or heuristic methods. As you say, that's what people do. The difference is that we are automatically skeptical of people and have systems in place to vet and oversee their decision making, generally.

Yeah, sure, people should not be blinded by "It's an ALGORITHM so it's SCIENCE!" because that is incredibly stupid. More like, it's an algorithm so it was programmed by a bunch of physicists and maybe it breaks at all of these boundary cases even though they tried to test it exhaustively.

Obviously people work very hard on automatic targeting algorithms and the validation thereof. And...I guess I won't necessarily write more about that.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Now I want to make copper.

GOD I can't wait to have access to a forge. I'm going to burn ALL THE THINGS

Right?! worth a pretty penny these days too. And will prolly only go up.

We had a coil of thick gauge old grounding wire stolen from one of our mountain tops. Thing was probably worth a bit more these days.

I just want to start going around at the cabin and taking dirt and rocks out of the ground and putting them into a fire then getting metal in return and then making that into a knife and then using that knife to cut something and ::lion king music, heavy breathing::

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    The joys of looking at old documents.

The marriage registry (in Scotland, post-1855) needs the signatures of two witnesses. If the witness is illiterate then they need to make their mark, which itself must be witnessed by two witnesses who sign as such after the mark.

So you get:
    Signed Richard Cardwell
    Signed (unreadable)
    His Mark Witness
    Richard Cardwell Witness
    Edward Kelly Witness
    Catherine Richmond
    Her Mark Witness
    Richard Cardwell Witness
    Edward Kelly Witness

Richard Cardwell I presume to be the officiating minister because he has also signed for the next couple of entries in the register.

Why wouldn't the witnesses to the witness just be the witness so less signatures are needed?

I know right?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    can i just go by my middle name?

Call me Nicholaus from now on please.

nope, didn't misspell it

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    There seems to be an unspoken "... but I'm not going to do shit for you at all." when someone says "I will pray for you...", especially in person. I don't mind when people say "I'll be thinking about you" online because that's basically all they CAN do, and I don't expect any more than that.

When my wife passed away, my friends all came to the funeral. They didn't have to come, and it was all the way across the country at a short notice. That's when I knew they were my real friends.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Door-close buttons on elevators

Pressing the door-close button on an elevator might make you feel better, but it will do nothing to hasten your trip.

Karen W. Penafiel, executive director of National Elevator Industry Inc., a trade group, said the close-door feature faded into obsolescence a few years after the enactment of the Americans With Disabilities Act in 1990.

The legislation required that elevator doors remain open long enough for anyone who uses crutches, a cane or wheelchair to get on board, Ms. Penafiel said in an interview on Tuesday. “The riding public would not be able to make those doors close any faster,” she said.

The buttons can be operated by firefighters and maintenance workers who have the proper keys or codes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/us/placebo-buttons-elevators-crosswalks.html

only trump can solve

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I hope you watch Forged in Fire AH, because I can't imagine a more you show than that.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    My roommate and I are about to go drop off our election ballots.

The nightmare is almost over!

• Options
    I'm not really sure how much accurate, objective information on target acquisition they're getting for drones. It's not exactly transparent.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

People feel helpless and don't know what to say so they use a default. Try not to be too uncharitable about it, IMO. My gf's stepdad is in really bad shape at the hospital and I have no words of comfort; I can understand retreating to "thoughts and prayers"

"I'm glad you're alright" works just fine though

I'm also half angry about him not even bothering to go see my brother.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm not really sure how much accurate, objective information on target acquisition they're getting for drones. It's not exactly transparent.

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

when i was an angry teenage atheist i'd say and just nod and wanted to shout back at them "YOUR THOUGHTS IN NO WAY HELP AND YOUR PRAYERS ARE MAGICAL THINKING THAT IS A CORROSIVE SLIME ON SOCIETY"

Now I'm like "thanks, i appreciate it" and smile and only think the part about prayers being garbage without the urge to say it. Lots of personal growth here.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I hope you watch Forged in Fire AH, because I can't imagine a more you show than that.

I need to find it on other outlets since I cut the cord.

I have watched it.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    What if the nightmare has just begun?

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

I'm sorry for your loss.

idgi

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Functionally indistinguishable from "I don't give a shit".

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    My roommate and I are about to go drop off our election ballots.

The nightmare is almost over!

Bart Simpson takes WA!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am actually kind of impressed - aside from the pics of the oled bar on the laptop that came out of macOS, I have absolutely no real idea about what they are announcing today. Lots of guesses, but by now there would have been significant supply chain leaks, processor and gpu spec leaks, etc.

Apple is keeping this one fairly close to their chest - and if the laptops are the only things they are announcing there is either a LOT of stuff going on to differentiate them... or there is more than just the laptops happening today.

This is gonna be a real expensive day for me, Apple.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Heh.

https://www.gog.com/game/crysiswarhead
    From the Electronic Arts End User License Agreement:
    E. Your Contributions. In exchange for use of the Software... You hereby waive any moral rights of paternity, publication, reputation, or attribution with respect to EA’s and other players’ use and enjoyment of such assets in connection with the Software and related goods and services under applicable law.
    You hereby waive any moral rights of paternity?
    Wait, is EA literally requiring us to sign away our progeny?

• Options
    Funniest stupid joke this morning, someone in the SE++ presidential thread saying LBJ's name is spanish for blowjob.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

Pressing the door-close button on an elevator might make you feel better, but it will do nothing to hasten your trip.

Karen W. Penafiel, executive director of National Elevator Industry Inc., a trade group, said the close-door feature faded into obsolescence a few years after the enactment of the Americans With Disabilities Act in 1990.

The legislation required that elevator doors remain open long enough for anyone who uses crutches, a cane or wheelchair to get on board, Ms. Penafiel said in an interview on Tuesday. “The riding public would not be able to make those doors close any faster,” she said.

The buttons can be operated by firefighters and maintenance workers who have the proper keys or codes.

only trump can solve

i swear they still work if it's a case where like, the door was open for its required time, then starts closing, then something trips it so it opens again, and then you press the close button

also
    for trolling, just tell people you have to hold it down for like 5 seconds and then it closes... works every time!

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    There seems to be an unspoken "... but I'm not going to do shit for you at all." when someone says "I will pray for you...", especially in person. I don't mind when people say "I'll be thinking about you" online because that's basically all they CAN do, and I don't expect any more than that.

When my wife passed away, my friends all came to the funeral. They didn't have to come, and it was all the way across the country at a short notice. That's when I knew they were my real friends.

I was fairly moved when a couple of my religious friends asked my permission to put my husband on the mishebeirach list (list of people for whom a prayer for the sick is said in services) when he was getting brain surgery. The fact that they asked showed that they understood that I am an atheist with a conflicted set of feelings towards religion, but that they have maybe some belief that it will help or maybe provide a little psychological comfort to us. And it was slightly comforting; they were right. And they were out of town, but also available for emotional support via text/email.

However, the generic phrase 'thoughts and prayers' is obnoxious and feels almost thoughtless.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

let's get to that point before we let robots kill people and decide who lives or dies themselves

this segment is really interesting about how we're letting algorithms do a lot of things which can be good, but can also often be really deterimental to the people who are on the losing end, if we're not careful
    (interview with this lady who wrote a book, used to work at DE Shaw - tech hedge fund - and saw the negative affects of it)

like algorithms that go into criminal sentencing, or health care decisions, or loan approvals, etc

very interesting
    algorithms also tend to have strong white or male bias at the heuristic level and is a big concern
    also outsourcing decisions to algorithms has the danger of freeing us from our responsibilities/consequences of decision making and is a bad thing too

ya
    It was a good listen

I think I saw this linked elsewhere, but I am immediately biased against listening it by the cutesy title 'it's us vs algorithms'

I believe strongly in a future where a lot of stuff is algorithmically determined and on average everyone is better off for it, and I view said future quite favorably.

But if it it vital, I will put it in my list for listening material during gaming.

there are lots of good things that come from algorithms, but it's important to watch out for the dangers and pitfalls in refining them and making sure we use them wisely and not blindly

e.g. things like, oh this recidivism algorithm leads to people automatically being punished worse cuz they are black
    https://www.propublica.org/article/machine-bias-risk-assessments-in-criminal-sentencing

Sure although...the pedant in me which I try to keep down generally says "BUT an algorithm is just a set way to solve a problem and you can have an algorithm for baking a cake; it doesn't mean making decisions through nebulously trained neural nets--if that's what we're worried about"

Humans follow algorithms and heuristics to decide on recidivism rates too, sometimes explicitly ie via checklist and sometimes just in their head where it can be more ambiguous, and those are also biased processes and automation is just nottttt the problem here!

Automatic targeting, if shown to actually be functional under a variety of lighting/weather conditions, at the range of relevant resolutions, and for subjects with varying degrees of occlusion--and with mechanisms in place to disengage if the target isn't found--is good! Why is this worse than a human operator? Is it because we really want someone to feel guilty about pressing the red button I guess?
    I suppose it's true that historically a lot of sodiers didn't really aim their guns at the enemy and just kinda shot, and as such there's something to human targeting leading to fewer casualties (but a less effective army...), but...I'm not sure that really applies to the way war is conducted now...

It's not true historically. It's a bit of bullshit made up by a journalist.

Oh really? I haven't read much about it myself; mostly my husband was telling me about it, but I don't know from what sources.

What makes you say that?

Regardless, if that's a controversial or potentially not true factoid, I'll be careful about it in the future. Sorry!
    Thomamelas wrote: »

very interesting

ya
    It was a good listen

It's not true historically. It's a bit of bullshit made up by a journalist.

Oh really? I haven't read much about it myself; mostly my husband was telling me about it, but I don't know from what sources.

What makes you say that?

Regardless, if that's a controversial or potentially not true factoid, I'll be careful about it in the future. Sorry!

So the whole "Fire their guns in the general direction of the enemy but not aiming to hit" thing comes from WWII. Specifically it comes from SLA Marshall who was a war correspondent in the Pacific. He was rather buddy buddy with a bunch of Generals and ends up as the Historian of the Army. In that position he supposedly did focus groups to discuss the war experience in WWII and Korea. And one of his conclusions is that most people really don't want to kill. The problem with his conclusion is that it doesn't appear to be based on any actual evidence. His assistant was asked about a number of focus groups and their sessions and he said they didn't happen. People who were there claim that nothing along those lines were said. He didn't keep many notes but his own notes don't show any evidence of it. For the most part he's been pretty widely debunked in historical circles with two exceptions. The New York Times loves to fucking cite him, and Grossman who wrote On Killing.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

only trump can solve

The button in my building is still hooked up, there is no delay between hitting it and the door closing, but it'll otherwise wait 5 seconds. The real trick is some elevators, even if door close is unhooked, if you hit the number for the floor you're on then the number for the floor where you want to go, the door closes right away. Just a programming quirk but it works like half of all elevators. Must be a quirk in a v popular elevator controller.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

yeah my eldest brother is close enough to go spend some time with his younger brother that almost died yesterday

but he didn't

he's in his thoughts and prayers though

super useful older brother

thanks

Even my dad, who is just the most non emotional person was upset that my older brother didn't go visit him

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

only trump can solve

i swear they still work if it's a case where like, the door was open for its reacquired time, then starts closing, then something trips it so it opens again, and then you press the close button

also
    for trolling, just tell people you have to hold it down for like 5 seconds and then it closes... works every time!

They're installer-configurable. My wife's old building they worked instantly no matter how long the door was open, but absent pressing it the door would stay open the usual time.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I'm sorry for your loss.

idgi

I was just trying to shoehorn in a stock response-to-grief phrase and that seemed to fit the best with the lack of drone target acquisition heuristics knowledge for whatever allegedly accountability/democratic purposes you desire them for

I'm just gearing up, I need some coffee, even bernie mac had a bad day at the apollo once

Eddy on
  • Options
    we have a placebo thermostat at work

it works

• Options

it works

What does it play Running up that Hill all day?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

only trump can solve

The button in my building is still hooked up, there is no delay between hitting it and the door closing, but it'll otherwise wait 5 seconds. The real trick is some elevators, even if door close is unhooked, if you hit the number for the floor you're on then the number for the floor where you want to go, the door closes right away. Just a programming quirk but it works like half of all elevators. Must be a quirk in a v popular elevator controller.

Elevator controllers can have a 25+ year life span. There are a bunch out there that predate the ADA.

• Options

it works

how old are you preacher

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

I've always been tempted to ask them to pray to a specific entity not corresponding to their belief system.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    By "old building" I mean building she worked in previously not "old" building. They replaced the elevator system 3-4 years ago and the close buttons still worked.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am actually kind of impressed - aside from the pics of the oled bar on the laptop that came out of macOS, I have absolutely no real idea about what they are announcing today. Lots of guesses, but by now there would have been significant supply chain leaks, processor and gpu spec leaks, etc.

Apple is keeping this one fairly close to their chest - and if the laptops are the only things they are announcing there is either a LOT of stuff going on to differentiate them... or there is more than just the laptops happening today.

This is gonna be a real expensive day for me, Apple.

Or maybe it's just the new MBP and spec bumps/price cuts for the rest of the line? If they were announcing a whole new product it would have leaked by now.

The MBA needs a new screen, but they might just kill it in favor of the 12" Macbook rather than do that?

• Options

it works

how old are you preacher

Old enough.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.