Options

U mad?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Welp, better head on over to the mad thread.

Edit: oh, good, in my delirium I though the politics thread had come back to life.

Why did I have to get sick this week.

sarukun on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    What in the actual fuck.

bo7MEP2.jpg

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    i have heard nothing but terrible things about the people trump is appointing

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Boy does shit like that make me glad that the Republicans pushed through stuff on the Every Student Succeeds Act that gutted the power of the Educational Secretary. They did to limit Obama, of course, but hopefully it will help keep us safe from that kind of lunacy.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    good lord, we absolutely need to get together and buy and island now

to both get away from this god damned snow and to get away from the fucking 1850s apparently.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Kids today!
    If kids were allowed to work and compulsory school attendance was abolished, the jobs of choice would be at Chick-Fil-A and WalMart. And they would be fantastic jobs too, instilling in young people a work ethic, which is the inner drive to succeed, and an awareness of attitudes that make enterprise work for all. It would give them skills and discipline that build character, and help them become part of a professional network.

These attitudes are rather missing from today’s young people
    just entering the workforce. They are forcibly kept out and then we are shocked to discover that the average college graduate today has a hard time getting into his or her groove at the age of 23. It’s because their human right to work and earn has been violated for a good part of their lives, to the point that they have lost interest in and knowledge of what work is like at all.

• Options
    I dunno, I've never heard that one before.

What I've heard is people aren't breaking themselves in twain for $7 an hour though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm kind of mad because apparently entry level hearing aids go for damn near $1500. And the audiologist told me they're kind of shitty and I should get the next level which have much better battery life and other features and they go for damn near $2k.

But only kind of because since I'm 32 my name jumped to near the top of their list for donations of hearing aids so maybe I'm lucky.

I'm kind of mad you have to pay out of pocket for those.

South Africa looked at America's health care system, and went "Well if it's good enough for them..."

So I'm not making enough money in order to be able to afford free health care.

Wait

So not making much money means you get less health care support?

Yeah that sounds like it was designed by America.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    While I have managed to survive in this restaurant and all of it's commensurate bullshit, the spoiled brats who work here are probably the most annoying little shits in this entire goddamned city. I had a piece of equipment I was using this morning, a three-deck cart that I use to haul heavy shit around. When I open in the morning, it is in constant use hauling lots and lots of ice, rice, sauces, spices and all manner of ingredients. I turned my back for approximately ninety seconds and some motherfucker nabbed it to haul some really lightweight shit that is easily carried by hand, but this large and muscular jackass is too concerned with throwing his weight around, so I lose the cart I desperately need. A few minutes later, I spot it on the line and it's empty except for one five gallon container of cooking oil.

"Rafael, is Juan done with that cart?"

*Rafael shrugs while munching on something*

"Cool."

I haul the oil up to the counter, grab the cart, push it to dry storage and load it up with about seventy pounds of rice. Five minutes later, Juan is in my peripheral vision about ten feet away and he's adopted the oh-so-macho stance of some generalissimo. I ignore him because his bullshit does not impress me. He steps within one arm's distance of me and tries to physically intimidate me to get the cart back.

"Hey, I need."

"You need?"

"Yeah."

"Am I gonna get it back?"

"Maybe, I dunno."

"Have this one instead. How long."

"Maybe five minutes."

"Here. Please bring it back."

"Whatever."

He does not bring it back and I have to go and fetch it from wherever he left it.

I bring this situation up to my KM.

"Chris, what's the deal?"

"I dunno, Mike, I think he's just trying to throw his weight around."

"Chris, I need you to explain something to him because I don't have the goddamned patience to get it into his thick fucking skull. His bullshit does not impress me. Chris, you are talking to a man who swam a half-mile through shark infested waters as part of his annual water survival qualification. Do you know where most shark attacks happen?"

"No."

"Within one-hundred feet of the shore. Do you know why the waters at Coronado are infested with sharks?"

"No."

"Because in addition to an U.S. Navy SEAL training center, there's an actual seal colony just a few miles away. Do you know what likes to eat seals?"

"Sharks?"

"Great. White. Sharks. El Tiburon De Blanco Grande."

"Jesus Christ."

"Those were probably the exact same words said by the marine who was almost bitten in half one fucking month before I had to go in the water. The story was suppressed from the civilian media but, you know, marines are worse than fishwives when it comes to gossip. And I went in the water. I was not given the choice of whether or not to suppress my fear at one of the most elemental horrors that Mother Nature can bring to bear. So you can tell Juan all of that, or you can tell him that he is fucking with the wrong goddamned jarhead."

"I'll talk to him."

"I would greatly appreciate that."

It's been nine fucking hours since that altercation and my hands have finally stopped twitching. I hate telling these stories to people. I hate that I have to explain to them that I'm trying not to be the same kind of person who was rewarded for aggressiveness and merciless behavior. I hate that I have to shock people into some common human decency. I hate that I can't get respect for all of my hard work and shit pay. But if I can't get respect, I will have their fucking fear.

@Darth Waiter

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    somebody check me on this

my cousin lives in georgia

she's had some ongoing mental health issues, mainly anxiety/depression and bipolar related. the election results hit her pretty hard

and she has not the greatest relationship with her boss, who was trying to date her at one point, which he's also done with previous employees

and last week he asked he called her in to his office, told her he was worried about her and her level of post-election anxiety

so he gave her a pistol as a gift, it's apparently from his collection, and told her that she "needs protection"

she took the gun rather than have an argument about it, but has now been freaking out over the fact that she has a gun

and honestly aside from just generally being a fucked up situation, I'm not even sure it's legal

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I...

But..

WHAT?!?!?!!

I'm sorry, but what? What makes that anywhere close to an appropriate gift? to somebody that is apparently obviously upset and/or depressed and you give them a gun?

I mean... I've heard people being cruel and saying "just kill yourself" in lots of contexts but that....

just holy shit.

Sorry, I got nothing on the legal side of things.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    well i'd keep the gun locked up, for starters

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    yeah I think "protection" was implied to mean "here in case you want to off yourself"

• Options
    I...

But..

WHAT?!?!?!!

I'm sorry, but what? What makes that anywhere close to an appropriate gift? to somebody that is apparently obviously upset and/or depressed and you give them a gun?

I mean... I've heard people being cruel and saying "just kill yourself" in lots of contexts but that....

just holy shit.

Yeah she works at a shitty independent bar, and he's the owner / operator. They have a staff of like 15 people, so it's not like she can take this to hr or whatever.

And yeah I don't know the first thing about guns or gun safety. Like I want to tell her she should probably call the cops and give it to them, but I'm not sure if just by accepting the gun she's broken some laws.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    It's legal. Depending on the gun, I'd definitely make sure it's unloaded and I'd pull the firing pin assembly if I wanted to be extra sure.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I...

But..

WHAT?!?!?!!

just holy shit.

Yeah she works at a shitty independent bar, and he's the owner / operator. They have a staff of like 15 people, so it's not like she can take this to hr or whatever.

And yeah I don't know the first thing about guns or gun safety. Like I want to tell her she should probably call the cops and give it to them, but I'm not sure if just by accepting the gun she's broken some laws.

IANAL
    Doubtful that she has broken any laws, any type of infraction they could try to impose on her should be waved by any competent lawyer under some sort of whistleblower protection.

But then again, given how awful some police departments are, who knows how much the local PD will care, and if they might just relieve her of the gun, and give it back to the owner with a finger wag and a suggestion to just fire her to prevent any further problems.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    might be a murder weapon, best to wipe her prints and throw it in the ocean

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Is it weird "murder weapon" was also my first thought

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    well, my 2nd thought was it was a gun used in a crime. So not necessarily murder.

but I chalked that up to me watching too many cop shows.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    As an Australian Americas weirdass gun culture will never not be insane
    What in the actual fuck.

bo7MEP2.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb19scAqzcw

Betsy Davos is also straight up evil in so many ways. Her entire family makes super villains look reasonable. They have accrued obscene amounts of wealth through the most disgusting and immoral means possible, and have used that to fund every despicable right wing moral crusade imaginable

Prohass on
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    somebody check me on this

my cousin lives in georgia

she's had some ongoing mental health issues, mainly anxiety/depression and bipolar related. the election results hit her pretty hard

and she has not the greatest relationship with her boss, who was trying to date her at one point, which he's also done with previous employees

and last week he asked he called her in to his office, told her he was worried about her and her level of post-election anxiety

so he gave her a pistol as a gift, it's apparently from his collection, and told her that she "needs protection"

she took the gun rather than have an argument about it, but has now been freaking out over the fact that she has a gun

and honestly aside from just generally being a fucked up situation, I'm not even sure it's legal

So I'm guessing that her shitty boss thinks handguns make a good self-defense strategy. And that what she needs, and he is qualified to make decisions about, is to solve her personal safety fears post-election by having a firearm.

Which, there's a lot of different bullshit that could be unpacked there, not least of which is that handguns are usually a relatively poor self-defense strategy without lots of other (expensive) things like training and regular range time. In other words he's wrong-as-fuck on several levels, both in detail and on fundamental levels. I don't have the time to unpack all of that here and now.

But, I am assuming that his attempt to fix her problem is NOT actually him trying to say "kill yourself." He's just too stupid to understand that's actually what he's doing.

As other people have referenced in thread, handguns are by FAR the most lethal way to attempt suicide, and account for some 2/3rds of all gun deaths in the country. And a person with a history of anxiety/depression and bipolar? FUCKING TERRIBLE THING TO MIX WITH GUNS. She probably should not have a gun, for her personal safety. Also, she really should not have been made a gun owner against her will. Firearm ownership is a potentially lethal thing, and a serious responsibility. Concealed carry is even moreso, by a lot, and may be what her boss was thinking she should do. Dipshit boss should definetly know better. But Stupid gotta Stupid, I guess.

Here's how I might attempt to solve her problem, if I were in her shoes and I thought it was an option.

First, get a dog. Doesn't have to be big. Better safety in her abode, better mental health.

Second, hand the gun back to the boss and say, "I took your advice (get something to help me feel safer), and got a dog instead. Thanks for the offer."

If getting rid of it is not an option, then I would attempt to find some way to store the gun locked away well out of sight, and the ammunition on the other end of the house, also locked away if I could. But I would probably look seriously at getting rid of the firearm. Police might be an option, used gun sales is also a part business for most gun stores. The employee behind the counter might well be a crap-shoot though.

Label on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm kind of mad because apparently entry level hearing aids go for damn near $1500. And the audiologist told me they're kind of shitty and I should get the next level which have much better battery life and other features and they go for damn near $2k.

But only kind of because since I'm 32 my name jumped to near the top of their list for donations of hearing aids so maybe I'm lucky.

I'm kind of mad you have to pay out of pocket for those.

South Africa looked at America's health care system, and went "Well if it's good enough for them..."

So I'm not making enough money in order to be able to afford free health care.

Wait

So not making much money means you get less health care support?

Yeah that sounds like it was designed by America.

Pretty much. Technically we have "guaranteed affordable healthcare" but you need to be at the government hospitals at 5am, stand or sit in line with hundreds of other people who are mostly all there to pick up their drug resistant TB drugs, and if they run out of meds or the line is so long it lasts until closing tough luck come back tomorrow.

So in effect, yeah. Hearing aids aren't included under that either, so I'll have to hope for a charity to see my name and age and feel like helping out or save for 6 months to a year.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Florence Henderson died. I'm mad and sad which is just a bad pair of emotions to mix together frankly.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Well, my power just came back on after about 3+ hours of not being able to sleep because my fan was off (frigging tinnitus).

Now it's nearly for in the morning and I am wide awake.

I have a very long day ahead of me.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Florence Henderson died.

Fuck this goddamn year so fucking much can it be 2017 yet already geeeze

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Holy shit

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    God damn I hope Romney tells him to eat a dick

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

For safety. After using water-cannons on the protesters in freezing temperatures and launching concussion grenades into the crowd?
    Fuck off.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

on the one hand for fuck's sake please retain the ounce of backbone you showed and refuse

on the other hand mitt romney is only Regular Terrible and I would hate to see the Trump Terrible candidate that's standing in line behind him

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

on the one hand for fuck's sake please retain the ounce of backbone you showed and refuse

on the other hand mitt romney is only Regular Terrible and I would hate to see the Trump Terrible candidate that's standing in line behind him

cbs-kellyanne-conway-082816.png

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I thought Giuliani was the alternate choice?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I thought Giuliani was the alternate choice?

Giuliani's gonna be SecDef, no?

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I'm mad that Massachusetts' Unemployment website (where you submit requests for your unemployment monies) has unreasonable amounts of scheduled down-time every day/week. I really have no idea why this schedule is necessary:

6dryse46juf9.jpg

NightDragon on
  • Options
    I'm mad that Massachusetts' Unemployment website (where you submit requests for your unemployment monies) has unreasonable amounts of scheduled down-time every day/week. I really have no idea why this schedule is necessary:

6dryse46juf9.jpg

I was going to say "it's way too late for me to try and make sense of this" but no.. it's just nonsense.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

cbs-kellyanne-conway-082816.png

FACE NATION

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    There are parts on NJ's unemployment website that are only accessable during business hours. Not like, a live chat or anything that requires interaction with a person. But just information.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
This discussion has been closed.