As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash]: New New Season

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Some of those shows are strickly summer shows (Whose Line, Penn & Teller and Master's of Illusion).

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Frequency? Isn't that a move about a time-traveling radio? Did they somehow turn that into a show?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Some of those shows are strickly summer shows (Whose Line, Penn & Teller and Master's of Illusion).

Only because of the aforementioned full schedule.
    jclast wrote: »
    Frequency? Isn't that a move about a time-traveling radio? Did they somehow turn that into a show?

Yes

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    A few of those are Summer shows though, so it's not as big of a deal to juggle things.

edit: It's still pretty bad mind you, because that's still ~14 shows in a 10-hour span, but not quite the impossible mountain. And I think they're losing at least one show (it's officially ending) this year, so that will help a tiny bit.

But while I might seem like I'm playing the opposite side here, I do believe they need to get their shit together as far as shows/schedule. It's ridiculous Tetris.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Guess who's coming back

Doh. I thought it was going to be:
    Patty

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Guess who's coming back

Patty

That's just wishful thinking that I also fell victim to :'(

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Guess who's coming back

Patty

We don't deserve that kind of happiness.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Guess who's coming back

Patty

We don't deserve that kind of happiness.

I would just like the share the pointless-ness of talking about things inside spoilers, outside of spoilers.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Guess who's coming back

Patty

It was but then Barry ruined the timeline again.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I don't get it.
    You think changing small events will alter the fact that Savitar escapes? How about you figure out either how to kill Savitar or how he escapes instead of trying to make sure that the museum stays open.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I don't get it.
    You think changing small events will alter the fact that Savitar escapes? How about you figure out either how to kill Savitar or how he escapes instead of trying to make sure that the museum stays open.
    Speed Force, and the writers need Savitar to remain the season big bad.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't get it.
    Speed Force, and the writers need Savitar to remain the season big bad.
    They have shown that even minor alterations to the past can lead to very different futures. They're just trying to get to a different future, and blindly hoping it's one where that one specific event doesn't happen.

I think the bigger question for me is "Why did Barry go to Wells to ask about predestination paradoxes?". I mean, this Wells has shown himself to be one tiny step above completely useless, and Barry has already seen that he's able to alter the future (did he forget FlashPoint already?).

• Options
    Remember, evil wins because good Barry is dumb.

sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    HG already introduced an out for this (and him) like 4 episodes ago so Im not super concerned where this is going

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    HEY THEY MENTIONED THE BEST THING EVER!
    MUSIC MEISTER! Hope that was a hint at what's coming up not just a little fun mention. I wanna see the live action music meister episode!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MG4ejYe94
    OH WAIT!

I'm so excited. Enjoyed that episode too.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I was ready to write this whole episode off, but it grew on me. Also, Tom Felton is a joy.

• Options
    So much dumb stuff in this episode.

Everything to do with Plunder was way out in left field. Yep, super gun, poses legit threat to speedsters on a motorcycle. How? Who cares!

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I don't get it.
    What others said but also, what if needing to figure out how Savitar escaped leads to them accidentally causing him to escape? HR mentions causing the future you're trying to avoid in the episode, and it's a fairly common literary device.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm confused though.

Barry alters the past and changes his future all the time, why would changing the present make changing the "future" that much harder. Christ in season one Barry lost his powers and the future changed until reverse flash got the powers back. Show be consistent with your own shit for once.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Short answer: Barry is dumb.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm confused though.

Barry alters the past and changes his future all the time, why would changing the present make changing the "future" that much harder. Christ in season one Barry lost his powers and the future changed until reverse flash got the powers back. Show be consistent with your own shit for once.

Well predestination pardox is an issue and thats,what Jay was worried about. They feel like if they approach with a plan it can be avoided

Its all irrelevant because they told us the outcome already
    Hg with a rifle is a Red Herring, hes holo disguised as Iris and he redeems himself by saving Iris and we get Harry back

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I'm confused though.

Barry wasn't aware of that stuff going on at the time. He just knows that Thawn had a future newspaper, not that Thawn was constantly using it to fine tune the future.

• Options
    New episode
    I guess the secretary was cheaper than Jimmy Olsen for that crossover. Kind of secretly hoped we'd somehow get Cat for 2 seconds though.

I liked the episode, and Draco made it a lot more funny than it should have been. Well, unintentionally on his part.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm confused though.

It is being faithful to the comics.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I always like Legacy of Kain theories of predestination and time travel. Time flows like a river, and small interruptions or changes will just be flowed around and corrected to still reach the same ends. In order to truly alter the future you have to do something drastic and BIG.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Barry cements his title of slowest speedster something hard this episode.

At least he admits it at the end, I guess?

• Options
    Man, screw you, Barry.
    Iris is worried that she will end up a footnote as the daughter, sister, and girlfriend of more important people. She shares her fear of ending up with nothing to show for her life, like her mom. Barry: "Your mom left behind a superhero son, and you're my girlfriend." FUCK, man.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Barry cements his title of slowest speedster something hard this episode.

At least he admits it at the end, I guess?

Barrys thing isnt being the fastest its his connection to the speed force

• Options
    Man, screw you, Barry.
    Iris is worried that she will end up a footnote as the daughter, sister, and girlfriend of more important people. She shares her fear of ending up with nothing to show for her life, like her mom. Barry: "Your mom left behind a superhero son, and you're my girlfriend." FUCK, man.

? Ass backwards. Iris is pulling a Wally just she wants fame instead of speed. Tough titties, lady. You should be more worried about how it's going to effect the people who love you, not having your name in the byline for 5 minutes because no matter what you do you're not getting into the history books, sorry.

• Options
    Man, screw you, Barry.

? Ass backwards. Iris is pulling a Wally just she wants fame instead of speed. Tough titties, lady. You should be more worried about how it's going to effect the people who love you, not having your name in the byline for 5 minutes because no matter what you do you're not getting into the history books, sorry.

I'm talking about Barry being an asshole to his girlfriend, which he was. Regardless of her actions, he was incredibly dismissive of her concerns and self-centered. Which is basically his MO at this point.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, I gotta agree that was not a good pep talk. Actually my first thought was "good job Barry, remind her she doesn't have kids either and she'll never have them if they can't change the future." Yes, she may not WANT to have kids, but it was just piling on.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    Man, screw you, Barry.

I'm talking about Barry being an asshole to his girlfriend, which he was. Regardless of her actions, he was incredibly dismissive of her concerns and self-centered. Which is basically his MO at this point.

Her concern of what? Being a normal person? He's being reasonable- If Wally hadn't shown up she be dead. And over what? Being a glory hound not just trying to do the right ting. The kid thing was a compliment about her being a wonderful person. Which she isn't, so she should take what she can get.

Kill her show, bring back Patty!

• Options
    Man, screw you, Barry.

Her concern of what? Being a normal person? He's being reasonable- If Wally hadn't shown up she be dead. And over what? Being a glory hound not just trying to do the right ting. The kid thing was a compliment about her being a wonderful person. Which she isn't, so she should take what she can get.

Kill her show, bring back Patty!

I feel like you have some pre-existing bias, here, and don't have an objective take on that scene.

It isn't Iris's fault that the writers have used her almost exclusively as a plot tool for the male characters. This episode was her daring to have some agency while going through an existential crisis, and the men telling her that she shouldn't fret, that they will save her and she can go back to being their support character while she clearly wants to be more than that. That was some super shitty and troublesome writing, and was surprised, but perhaps shouldn't have been, that it was allowed to stand, unchallenged.

Jeez. I loved Patty, too, but I'm cognizant of the fact that Barry treats both women poorly.

• Options
    Also, since when was Iris' Mom a good Mom to Iris?

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    She had a point or at least an excuse giving her situation until they actually got to the warehouse.

That proved everything the "males" were saying correct. It's not them being jerks, it's them talking sense.

And I'm exaggerating my dislike, not that I wouldn't mind trading her.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Also, since when was Iris' Mom a good Mom to Iris?

I think Iris was just trying to think of an excuse beside "Well Im immortal until Savitar gets me." Which isnt the case anyway its not a Death note Iris.

• Options
    She had a point or at least an excuse giving her situation until they actually got to the warehouse.

That proved everything the "males" were saying correct. It's not them being jerks, it's them talking sense.

And I'm exaggerating my dislike, not that I wouldn't mind trading her.

Who gets to decide whether Iris risks her life for a story? Cisco got to risk his life this very episode, and people largely didn't deny his right to do so.

Honestly she wasn't in that much danger at the warehouse. She brought Kid Flash with her and knew that he'd be back at any moment.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    It's not that she risked her life. It's she risked her life pointlessly. She sent Kid Flash away for no reason other than to be the only one there. And what if he WASN'T back in time? Barry is always too slow and Wally isn't as fast yet!

It was the details of what she did, the general gist is fine, but she went too far.

And Cisco was also kind of stupid, but they're all stupid, they were all way too cavalier about "to the death" etc.

That's what makes Julian a good addition. He points some of this out.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    If we're going to knock characters for doing pointless shit, I wouldn't start with Iris.

• Options
    I'd start with Wally. Screw that idiot. :P