As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    It is like this. If your legions of terror don't have radical uniforms, and you don't have a fabulously sinister laugh, and your pet is not either a cat or a horrifying monstrosity named fluffy or some such, doing evil with them is nothing more than thuggery.

A well done evil lighting scheme in your Lair takes your plotting to the next level. Right there you went from a diorama-enthusiast-in-the-dark to a lunatic-up-to-no-good.

I do have a Nix Hound named Doggo. That's... kinda horrifying, I guess?
    He needs to have that volcano diorama in the center of a throne room of some sort, with some sort of ornate sinister-looking throne. It'll help enhance his villanous monologuing as he plots the unavoidable, yet completely avoidable doom of his enemies.

If I'm ever able to afford a bigger house and a throne, I guess. Thrones are expensive.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    This weekend only! Get your FREE Skull Daedric Throne from Luxury Furnisher Zanil Theran in Coldharbour. Happy Midyear Mayhem! #ESO

You can take multiple. I currently have 62 skull thrones in my inventory.

@Lucid_Seraph

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    This weekend only! Get your FREE Skull Daedric Throne from Luxury Furnisher Zanil Theran in Coldharbour. Happy Midyear Mayhem! #ESO

@Lucid_Seraph

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

@Lucid_Seraph

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

. . . SKULL THRONES FOR THE DEN AND STUDY!

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Just so you guys know, there's now a Strategic Throne Reserve in both the PA and AH guild banks. You're welcome.

• Options
    Cool idea for a house with a wide field: Make an arena with viewing stands lined with skull thrones

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Cool idea for a house with a wide field: Make an arena with viewing stands lined with skull thrones

I haven't toyed around much with the housing stuff, but if you can stack thrones, maybe you could build a makeshift skull throne entirely out of skull thrones?

• Options
    edited July 2017

I haven't toyed around much with the housing stuff, but if you can stack thrones, maybe you could build a makeshift skull throne entirely out of skull thrones?

One guy made an entire cathedral made of skull thrones:
    eJrVoDP.jpg

Additional photos: https://imgur.com/a/lMkke

And this guy made a skull throne made of skull thrones:

https://imgur.com/a/qXboI

*edit* This is the part where I tag @Kylindra again and gently tempt her to play ESO because *houses*.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hey Y'all, I got this today. Looking forward to playing with you folks on PC?

Whew, what a big install though. I forgot how fucking huge MMO installs tend to be

• Options
    Awwwwww yeeeeaaaahhhhhh lemme know when you're on, @Moriveth

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Once it finishes downloading I'll give it a shot, but it looks like it'll take a while.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    How's the PA presence on XB1 at the moment? I was thinking of joining in after playing Skyrim and the XB1 is the only way I can play it at the moment.

• Options
    So I played a bit of this last night, it's quite enjoyable. Still really clearly a MMO, but the first-person combat makes it seem a lot more elder-scrolls-y, if that makes any sense.

I made a Khajit named Prof Catface, if anyone wants to or can invite me to the guild, that'd be great! I'll likely end up rolling alts at some point but right now I'm just dicking around the starter island, though I really should spend more time in Vvardenfell.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So I played a bit of this last night, it's quite enjoyable. Still really clearly a MMO, but the first-person combat makes it seem a lot more elder-scrolls-y, if that makes any sense.

I made a Khajit named Prof Catface, if anyone wants to or can invite me to the guild, that'd be great! I'll likely end up rolling alts at some point but right now I'm just dicking around the starter island, though I really should spend more time in Vvardenfell.

What's your actual account name? It's easier to invite you to the guild with that.
    Owenashi wrote: »
    How's the PA presence on XB1 at the moment? I was thinking of joining in after playing Skyrim and the XB1 is the only way I can play it at the moment.

@Wolfman0706 runs a PA guild on XB1 called Oblivious in Oblivion; his in-game name is chaserman0706. Hit him up for an invite! :)

• Options
    Actual account name is multiveth!

• Options
    ayyy welcome to tha club

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Is it true that buying a physical copy of ESO: Morrowind for the XB1 only has the core game on the disk and not the expansion as well? Does anyone know the download size for Morrowind if it is because I was planning on buying said disk so I wouldn't have to deal with a 70-75GB download for the complete game.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    So how's the expansion shaking? I'm gonna be coming back at SOME point, but I'm pretty invested in GW1 atm and haven't been able to spare the time. Maybe once my computer upgrades come in I can consider getting a sub again (the material bank is too goddamn convenient)

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    So how's the expansion shaking? I'm gonna be coming back at SOME point, but I'm pretty invested in GW1 atm and haven't been able to spare the time. Maybe once my computer upgrades come in I can consider getting a sub again (the material bank is too goddamn convenient)

The content has been well received but it's not particularly big by MMO expansion standards. Its value proposition drops if you have little interest in PvP battlegrounds or the new class or if you don't do raids/trials. If you've got other things eating your time, it's worth waiting for a sale.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »

The content has been well received but it's not particularly big by MMO expansion standards. Its value proposition drops if you have little interest in PvP battlegrounds or the new class or if you don't do raids/trials. If you've got other things eating your time, it's worth waiting for a sale.

Yeah I'd say wait for a sale.

With that said, a few other things that can weigh into whether or not you want the expansion even if you're not interested in battlegrounds or the new class:

1. Are you a huge fan of the original Morrowind? If so, yes, you should get this. It's a big fat love letter to the original game, and it's wonderful to see the island updated to modern graphics. The story also feels different if you've played the original Morrowind; for instance, when you find out that one NPC has been calling himself the Nerevarine... well, you have a pretty different reaction to that if you DID play original Morrowind.
    2. The main city, Vivec, has what I think is THE most convenient layout for crafting in the game. Everything is really close together and right near the bank. It's fantastic; I wayshrine there JUST to do crafting.
    3. If you're into ~fashion~, many of the new and upcoming motifs look really good.

Even then though... if you're busy with GW1/GW2, I'd say wait for a sale. There will probably be a few in the upcoming year.

• Options
    Are there any tips for beginning players I oughta know about? I've made it to Daggerfall after clearing the original tutorial and the first two Covenant zones and I'm planning on slowly working through content in the city before branching outward and continuing the main quest. Is there anything I oughta bother doing now that I'm in a capital city (what I assume is one anyway)? I've been playing as a DPS-minded Dragonknight with a focus on Heavy Armor and Two-Handed weapons if that helps.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Buy a mount as soon as you can and buy the +1 inventory slot upgrades every day.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    Buy a mount as soon as you can and buy the +1 inventory slot upgrades every day.

I got a code for a free mount thanks to the Skyrim Special Edition. Just been hesitating using it since I don't know if it's one-character only or an account-wide bonus. What's with this mount-upgrade stuff by the way?

• Options
    edited August 2017

I got a code for a free mount thanks to the Skyrim Special Edition. Just been hesitating using it since I don't know if it's one-character only or an account-wide bonus. What's with this mount-upgrade stuff by the way?

The mount itself is account-wide. The upgrade stuff is per-character, and it takes a long time.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options

Mounts are account wide. How good your character is at using the mount is character specific.

Every 20 hours, each character can spend money for a small upgrade to mount speed, mount stamina, or inventory space (saddle bags being simulated) once the account has amount associated with it.
    Are there any tips for beginning players I oughta know about? I've made it to Daggerfall after clearing the original tutorial and the first two Covenant zones and I'm planning on slowly working through content in the city before branching outward and continuing the main quest. Is there anything I oughta bother doing now that I'm in a capital city (what I assume is one anyway)? I've been playing as a DPS-minded Dragonknight with a focus on Heavy Armor and Two-Handed weapons if that helps.

For the most part, heavy armor is relegated to tanking and medium armor is the domain of damage dealing stamina builds. Weapon damage scales off your stamina and by default medium armor boosts that though you can re-enchant any armor piece to boost a different stat. Heavy armor shifted towards stamina boosts with a two handed weapon is a common pvp setup where that extra durability can make the difference between capping a point or not but may not pack the oomph you want in pve long term.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    For the most part, heavy armor is relegated to tanking and medium armor is the domain of damage dealing stamina builds. Weapon damage scales off your stamina and by default medium armor boosts that though you can re-enchant any armor piece to boost a different stat. Heavy armor shifted towards stamina boosts with a two handed weapon is a common pvp setup where that extra durability can make the difference between capping a point or not but may not pack the oomph you want in pve long term.

Whoops, already put three points into Heavy Armor. Should I bother trying to respec?

• Options

Whoops, already put three points into Heavy Armor. Should I bother trying to respec?

Not unless you really want to. At the high end you'll likely want to keep one piece of heavy armor on for a while due to the health boost from passives until you base health maxes out.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular

Early on, it's not a bad idea to wear a mix of different armor types, to get a bit of experience in the other types. You aren't going to have many spare skill points, so you're not going to have much invested in the armor trees, so you don't lose much by doing so.

Teleporting to a wayshrine from another wayshrine is free, but otherwise it costs money, and that price isn't particularly cheap. But even if you're far away from a wayshrine, you can teleport to guild members for free. This puts you at the wayshrine closest to them, though it fails if they are someplace you cannot go (for example, in a DLC zone that you do not have access to).

You can repair your gear's durability at just about any merchant. It used to be that damaged gear gave less benefits, but they changed that. Now as long as the item has more than zero durability, you get the full effect of the gear.

There are daily crafting missions you can get from the major towns in zones (once you've done the initial qualification quest for them over at the Mage Guild and Fighter Guild, anyway). If you have the materials, it's moderately profitable, so you should consider doing the armor and provisioning ones even if you don't plan on putting any skill points into those skill trees (or rather, especially if you haven't put any points into those skill trees). They can be a little tedious though, and eat up a bunch of motif items, so keep that in mind.

There's are passive skills early on in both the Mage Guild skill tree and Fighters Guild skill tree that can potentially give you an extra prompt during some quest dialogue. Gives you the option to intimidate a fellow instead of bribe him, or that sort of thing.

• Options
    Thanks for the tips so far. The game's pretty fun so far and I'll try contacting the PA-guild soon for an invite. By the way, is it typical for the housing quest to resolve itself so far away from the city it started? After doing some of it, I'm being pointed way up north past a couple of towns for the next step.

• Options
    Thanks for the tips so far. The game's pretty fun so far and I'll try contacting the PA-guild soon for an invite. By the way, is it typical for the housing quest to resolve itself so far away from the city it started? After doing some of it, I'm being pointed way up north past a couple of towns for the next step.

It isn't; for some reason the Daggerfall Covenant one is really far away. I have no idea why that's the case; I don't remember either the AD or EP ones being that far.

Feel free to ask for an invite any time! What's your account name?

• Options
    New patch notes.

Big takeaway is that everyone has to redo their gear.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    New patch notes.

What? Why?

(can't read patch notes at work)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    New patch notes.

What? Why?

(can't read patch notes at work)

A lot of sets got tweaked up or down. Weapon traits also got adjusted. And Mundus stone effects.

This is probably not yet a concern for you mind you except for maybe the Mundus stone.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Anyone in the XB1 guild on at the moment so I could get an invite, please?

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Hello!

I tried this for a day or two the last time there was a free weekend and I got a character to somewhere between 10 and 20, I was in the Vvanderfell area after the tutorial. I just bought this on steam and I'm downloading the whole 70 GB of it, barely had the space. Anything that's a must know before I continue rolling around with my lvl 20? I remember picking stamina/HP/magicka boosts on level up and selecting skill variants, is there potential for screwing up my build?

• Options
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Hello!

I tried this for a day or two the last time there was a free weekend and I got a character to somewhere between 10 and 20, I was in the Vvanderfell area after the tutorial. I just bought this on steam and I'm downloading the whole 70 GB of it, barely had the space. Anything that's a must know before I continue rolling around with my lvl 20? I remember picking stamina/HP/magicka boosts on level up and selecting skill variants, is there potential for screwing up my build?

Generally speaking, you don't want to mix stamina and magicka boosts on a character. Weapon damage and spell damage scale off of maximum stamina and magicka respectively for a character so you're highly encouraged to specialize.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Hello!

Generally speaking, you don't want to mix stamina and magicka boosts on a character. Weapon damage and spell damage scale off of maximum stamina and magicka respectively for a character so you're highly encouraged to specialize.

Exception: Tanks don't need to do a lot of damage, so many tanks these days use a mix of both (since many of their survival skills require one OR the other but don't scale off the ability) and use armor sets to buff up their HP to a ridiculous amount (generally Plague Doctor + either Green Pact or Ebon Armory)

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    In case you do mess up your build, you can respec with gold in some of the major cities.

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    I just started ESO on PS4, do you guys have a guild? Are there any good beginners guides? I don't really get how crafting and such work (at least in the starting area I'm in). Any help/info you could give me would be really appreciated!

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    I just started ESO on PS4, do you guys have a guild? Are there any good beginners guides? I don't really get how crafting and such work (at least in the starting area I'm in). Any help/info you could give me would be really appreciated!

You won't find crafting stations until you're in at least the areas past the starter zones. So we're talking about Vukhel Guard for AD, Davon Falls for EP, and Daggerfall for DC. Do harvest everything you can though and hold onto equipment to deconstruct it at a crafting station instead of vendoring it. You get far more crafting experience breaking down items than you do for crafting them. In fact, you should never grind equipment pieces for the sake of crafting exp and only ever craft stuff you intend to use, someone else intends to use, or for the daily crafting quests. Provisioning and Alchemy are the exceptions here as they have nothing to break down and actually do get significant progress from crafting items.

As for general tips try to figure out if you want to be a stamina based or magicka based character early. Weapon and spell damage scale off of stamina and magicka respectively so mixing the two on one character isn't recommended. While all class skills start out as magicka skills, after leveling them up a few times you'll get the option to morph them into more advanced skills, one of which is often a stamina variant. All the non-stave weapons are stamina weapons so if you like those that kind of sets you up.

Steam Profile