Options

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I wasn't being snide... I was asking a legitimate question. ;)

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    And then there are other times when you huck a regular Pokeball at a high-CP Venusaur by habit and it manages to capture it in the first go.

Random's random.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I mean it's been verified over and over again that the ball, raspberry, location, and curve effect the outcome of the throw so I'm not sure where you're getting at. :)

Except in my example none of those things apparently mattered. The throws it escaped from were "nice" throws, as was the one that landed. And ball and raspberry clearly didn't affect it either since it escaped with higher level balls being used in conjunction with a raspberry and was caught by the lowest level ball when a raspberry wasn't used. An RNG that punishes early throws (because it wants you to waste balls and have to buy more) is a shitty mechanic.

Do you understand what random means?

I do!

I also understand that if, for example, Mario 3 had a feature programmed into it that made Mario's jump length randomly not be long enough to get over a pit, everyone would say that Mario 3 sucks

but they didn't do that because that would be a needlessly shitty thing to do to your playerbase

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I mean it's been verified over and over again that the ball, raspberry, location, and curve effect the outcome of the throw so I'm not sure where you're getting at. :)

Except in my example none of those things apparently mattered. The throws it escaped from were "nice" throws, as was the one that landed. And ball and raspberry clearly didn't affect it either since it escaped with higher level balls being used in conjunction with a raspberry and was caught by the lowest level ball when a raspberry wasn't used. An RNG that punishes early throws (because it wants you to waste balls and have to buy more) is a shitty mechanic.

Do you understand what random means?

I do!

I also understand that if, for example, Mario 3 had a feature programmed into it that made Mario's jump length randomly not be long enough to get over a pit, everyone would say that Mario 3 sucks

but they didn't do that because that would be a needlessly shitty thing to do to your playerbase

In Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/other colors the type of Pokeball you throw determines your chances of catching them.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I mean, ok, but that's a terrible analogy.

PoGo literally exists as an RNG machine. It's a dressed up slot machine.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I think there's only two important points here:

1) RNG has always played a factor in Pokémon games in determining whether or not a capture attempt is successful
    2) As Niantic is hoping to sell you pokeballs, they have no incentive to make you use less of them

• Options
    How fun would the game actually be if you could toss one ball and catch them every time no matter what?

• Options
    that's good!

In pokemonGo, many times nothing has any effect on anything

I don't mind games being difficult. I do mind games being randomly impossible.

• Options
    that's good!

I did though. It increased your chances of catching whatever you were trying to catch. The problem is that it failed.

• Options
    In other news: Holy fuck is it taking forever to level without any eggs or double XP. I've been on level 28 for months now and I still have 30K to go.

• Options
    that's good!

I did though. It increased your chances of catching whatever you were trying to catch. The problem is that it failed.

the best possible combination should not fail though!

going back to the made up mario jump, if you perform the best you possibly can and the game makes it impossible to win, that game should be fixed.

• Options
    that's good!

the best possible combination should not fail though!

going back to the made up mario jump, if you perform the best you possibly can and the game makes it impossible to win, that game should be fixed.

I'd agree if there was a Master Ball or something equivalent.

• Options
    you'd think that whatever the top tier ball, along with an excellent curve ball, and a berry should suffice to catch anything since those are all the best things available.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I don't think it would be an issue if the flee mechanic didn't exist. There is no equivalent in the main line games (which I forgot about when playing Sun and Moon at first). The closest is like, Abra's teleport or something. I'm not a huge fan of it here with as hard as it can be to find certain pokemon.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Yeah I'd be okay with them removing the flee mechanic. Hell you'd think they'd want you to toss more balls at something that's hard to catch.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    you'd think that whatever the top tier ball, along with an excellent curve ball, and a berry should suffice to catch anything since those are all the best things available.
    There should NEVER be any kind of combination that is guaranteed to succeed. Ever. That's just super lousy game design. Even if you're using the best of the best and do everything right, there should still be a reasonable chance of failure.

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    There should NEVER be any kind of combination that is guaranteed to succeed. Ever. That's just super lousy game design. Even if you're using the best of the best and do everything right, there should still be a reasonable chance of failure.

that doesn't sound like a fun game ....

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This plague of gym Blisseys is getting annoying. I barely killed the last one with 5s to go, and now there's another 300cp higher.

nerf plz

edit: Or give me one. Either way.

VishNub on
  • Options
    My 10k egg just hatched into Dratini... Where were you during double candy holiday?!?! Bleh. At least I'm getting closer to Dragonite... Kind of...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen a party hat Pikachu yet? I am not convinced they are spawning.

I managed to catch a total of 4 santa hat Pikachus over the Christmas event. Have not seen a single party hat yet and the event is almost over.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I have one. Took a ton of balls but I got him

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    This plague of gym Blisseys is getting annoying. I barely killed the last one with 5s to go, and now there's another 300cp higher.

nerf plz

edit: Or give me one. Either way.
    They really aren't that great to use on attack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a party hat Pikachu yet? I am not convinced they are spawning.

I managed to catch a total of 4 santa hat Pikachus over the Christmas event. Have not seen a single party hat yet and the event is almost over.

I have not. But there is a Pikachu nest at the lake I have enjoyed visiting last summer/fall, so I plan to stop there this weekend.

I hear Niantic has finally boosted his spawn rate, but it is still dependant on places Pikachu normally spawns unlike the previous event where he was everywhere

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've gotten a grand total of one so far. Seems Niantic didn't boost their spawn rate at all.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I've gotten a grand total of one so far. Seems Niantic didn't boost their spawn rate at all.

Supposedly they *just* did today. But not to Santachu levels

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    I've not seen a pikachu or any starter since gen 2 came out

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator Mod Emeritus
    I finally got one today, and I've been searching all week!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I have seen 3, but one despawned before I got there and the other 2 ate my berries and let me hit them in the face with my yellow balls before running away.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I haven't seen one but am still hopeful. My sister started playing again and has a Pikachu nest near her house currently, so she got several. Might have to visit soon (next rotation is on the 9th) if I can't find one otherwise.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Speaking of nests, we have something very weird going on. I live in a city of almost 900 km² (340 square miles). Population of 3.5 million. We obviously have a lot of nests all over the city. But this rotation the south-west third of the city is almost exclusively Vulpix nests on the nest atlas. If you put a line through my city from the NW to the SE at a certain point then you have maybe 30 nests below that line and 20 of them are Vulpix. It's insane.

Overall the ratio isn't bad because the other two thirds of the area have way more nests reported and none of them are Vulpix. But still, Vulpix is the Pokemon with the most nests currently and all of them are somewhat clustered geographically.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Complaining on this forum worked again. I have him locked up in the Chinchilla cage.
    zkhei0ky52bc.jpg

I have also received 3 10k eggs since complaining.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Anyone else have a hard time that the gyms held near you are done so by non cheaters? A week into gen 2 and we've got high cp tyranitars. Last year I watched a guy go from 34 to 36 in two days. And since they're all team blue, that's what 90% of my metro is.

• Options
  • Options
    still no evo items here

also, are gen1 pokes never going to spawn again?

I'm still missing almost half the original pokedex

and you can't even walk them to get candies when you don't have the pokes to walk =/

• Options
    Uh Gen 1 pokemon still spawn. :)

• Options
    John Hanke said:
    "We will rework [the gym] aspect of the game so that there will be more teamwork and people will get more incentive and reward for participating."
    From what was said (and using Ingress as an example) it sounds to me like solo players will be even less able to contribute in the gym game. I mean, ingress requires the coordination of eight people to level a portal to max level. Which is why ingress players have frequent real-life meetups and a very strong cooperative player community.

26904.png
  • Options
    Uh Gen 1 pokemon still spawn. :)

I mean ones besides pidgys, weedles, caterpies, rats, and venonats

I haven't even seen a zubat

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Caught a hat-chu last night, got my second Kings Rock today, still need more slopokes and poliwags though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I wish I'd never seen a zubat! The grocery store I go to weekly is like zubat central. 50 candies to evolve and they're a pain in the ass to catch. I'd rather have a reliable pidgey spawn to be honest.

26904.png
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I wish I'd never seen a zubat! The grocery store I go to weekly is like zubat central. 50 candies to evolve and they're a pain in the ass to catch. I'd rather have a reliable pidgey spawn to be honest.

They got bumped down to 25 since there's now a third form (Crobat).