As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dauntless] ver 1.0 live. Out on consoles now.. Switch version in the works.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I think since they're "beginner" monsters, they have those simple designs (G.Jaggi and Arzuros come to mind) but the game definitely does seem to be very early in development, with sounds as mentioned, and also animations being very basic so far.

I'm keeping an eye out for this one, but still not completely convinced.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I watched some people playing this at pax and it looks pretty cool. I didnt want to wait in line for it so i didnt play it myself, but for an early alpha build it looks great. One of the devs was talking to people and said there would be trash mobs and gathering nodes, so if they do it right it should feel a lot like monster hunter.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    They also stated they're planning for open beta in Fall 2017. Closed beta/alpha invites early summer seems reasonable

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am cautiously optimistic.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    The trailer looks good. Will give it a shot and see it it can keep my interest.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    New Gameplay Pax East Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHMQzSGNCOQ

• Options
    Heyo

Twitter says alpha invites will be announced tomorrow

Definitely going to try to get in

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Went ahead and signed up. I wish these guys all the best. I'll temper my expectations, but I do want them to succeed. Monster Hunter as a genre could certainly use more entries. I mean I love MH, but I also feel like I love it because I don't really have any other options.

One thing I hope they keep in mind is that in a MH game you are not entering an arena to fight a boss. You are entering an ecosystem with a multitude of creatures going about their business and a bunch of resources to collect. All the footage is pre-alpha so I'll not let things concern me yet, plus admittedly footage of people fighting a big monster is far more exciting then watching a dude mine ore. :razz:

Here is a my random (and short) list of things I hope they do in no particular order;

Large open worlds filled with a variety of creatures and resources.
    A plethora of gear to craft from monster parts and resources collected.
    Tell me what shit does! If I get a piece of gear that adds +6 to Chicanery then explain to me what that means!
    Make sure I have to prepare before I go a hunt'n. Or, y'know, at least make it so preparing feels more worthwhile as opposed to just face rolling.
    Different weapons have to feel very distinct.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I played both Hunts at east and it's interesting, but after talking to some of the devs I'm very unsure. Their goal was 8-10 minute hunts which i find to be way too short, and the weapon combos were very, very straightforward and didn't feel good in really any way. Monster Hunter's weapons feel great, and even ones with small toolkits like the Greatsword have a lot of depth when interacting with the monster. I didn't feel that at all in dauntless. Was just mashy mash and then roll away when the monster got on you, only took damage because I didn't know any tells at all.

Also the dodge iframes were kinda insane, but maybe just a pax demo thing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Im here to unsheath snipe

and to charge lvl 3s

give it to me @Knight_

did it have those

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i could get behind 8-10 minute hunts as long as there's some sense of escalation / a fury mechanic / danger.
    i like monhun but wiping after a 30min hunt was utterly demoralizing while i was learning.

(i signed up for the alpha but unfortunately was honest about my top 5 games)

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Im here to unsheath snipe

and to charge lvl 3s

give it to me Knight_

did it have those

There was a charge on the GS, but it let you move while charging so it didn't feel awesome like a GS combo does.

It also doesn't have that huge pause when you hit with a GS that makes it feel like you just knocked someone into next week. The hits feel very soft.

edit: oh also you only really sheathe when running very far distances since you can sprint while your weapon is out. only reason to sheathe is sprinting doesn't use stamina when sheathed. the flow of slow weapons like that is very different and didn't hit any of the same buttons for me.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I want this to be good as I have never had a system that can play monster hunter. Color me concerned.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This game needs hitstun

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Hitstun or hitstop?
    I think Knight is referring to hitstop here.

• Options
    right, hitstop

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Hitstop is one of the secret sauces of Monster Hunter.

It's one of the things I was highly worried Dauntless wouldn't implement.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I am cautiously optimistic.

I anticipate, but I have no optimism.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    https://playdauntless.com/founders-packs/

founders stuff is up, closed/open beta in summer

kinda expensive

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not paying that to test their game for them.

• Options
    Can't think of a single game where buying the founder's pack was a good idea.

• Options
    So, I dunno. I get how freemium works, but I'm not sure I want to play a monster hunter where: you need a subscription or the drops are halved, and you have to grind even more for potions and stuff, which is what this freemium model seems to offer.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i don't want to play a game where there is a subscription option that increases vanity drops.
    that seems... wow. also those prices!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, I dunno. I get how freemium works, but I'm not sure I want to play a monster hunter where: you need a subscription or the drops are halved, and you have to grind even more for potions and stuff, which is what this freemium model seems to offer.

Monster Hunter would not work without the main recovery items becoming gradually bottomless as you upgrade your farm/traders/whatever.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Hits top is one of the secret sauces of Monster Hunter.

That's one of the reasons why Final Fantasy Explorers ultimately wasn't that good. Combat felt like I was attacking the space where enemies happened to be located.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    jothki wrote: »

That's one of the reasons why Final Fantasy Explorers ultimately wasn't that good. Combat felt like I was attacking the space where enemies happened to be located.

It's the main reason most of the clones do not work. None of them seem to understand that a large part of the formula for MH is that when you use a weapon you feel like you are wielding it, when you hit a monster with it it feels satisfying

Not a lot of games pay attention to that.

The more I look at this game the more I realize that I think they missed the point of what they were doing. They have a monitization train wreck here so far. There were a lot of options to monitize this that weren't ruin the flow and enjoyment factors of what Monster Hunter is.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Also having zero control of NPC allies during the mission.

Also also being extremely hard on my hands and shoulder buttons.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Explorers had a few things that were weird, like not all classes getting a dodge. It was certainly made to play more multiplayer but they didnt build any hype for it so no one played it.

Dauntless just seems mismanaged. Even the website. Says they changed how their passwords work, hit the reset link in the email and it just sends me to a page about the company. Like ok, i didnt want to look at the founders pack anyway. That you guys are saying its some terrible monetization system doesnt have me optimistic that it will be a success.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Even the website. Says they changed how their passwords work, hit the reset link in the email and it just sends me to a page about the company. Like ok, i didnt want to look at the founders pack anyway. That you guys are saying its some terrible monetization system doesnt have me optimistic that it will be a success.

I meant to post about this. Thanks for making it impossible for me to even consider buying in!

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I was rather interested till I saw the founders packs. That price is kind of bad, and this is from someone with little sense of fiscal responsibility.

That and I guess all my hype kind of got stolen by toukiden 2 being a good enough PC game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    When does that drop anyways?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    When does that drop anyways?

toukiden 2 is out

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    First emails for the Tech Alpha are out. Keep in mind that there is an NDA in place and testers are discouraged from disclosing their selection.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    asylumhouseasylumhouse Indie Game Developer SingaporeRegistered User regular
    It's so weird... they allow us to secure our place in closed beta but then didn't announce the dates.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I've been tricked too many times in the past to help companies test their games for a fee.

I can wait.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    I've been tricked too many times in the past to help companies test their games for a fee.

I can wait.

No joke. Stuff like this is basically a kickstarterless kickstarter. I backed star citizen like 5 years ago when I had more disposable income and there's like a kind of playable thing. Either make it a free open alpha/beta or don't talk to me until you have a product. That said, I do want this to work out because monster hunter on pc would be nice. Also, if they can manage to actually compete or shake up the hunter games market, I think it could help. A lot of things need to go right for that though.

• Options
    n0q66qwdz6s5.png

Heyo

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    n0q66qwdz6s5.png

Heyo

You get any extra keys send one my way.

I will totally test for free.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Doesn't look like i have any extra keys, and i literally can't talk about anything i do or see

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png