As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] of the Year

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

our standards for super-hero movies was super low back in those days

also the first X-Men movie was fucking garbo

I don't want to watch the first X-Men movie again because I have mostly good memories and I am 100% sure they'll be ruined. Especially after seeing that spidey clip.

I wonder, in 50 years, will we be making fun of how cheesy Civil War/Winter Soldier are?

I rewatched the original trilogy recently. Unsurprisingly, #2 holds up the best and #3 is still pretty bad.

But the stuff that is dumb in #1 is the same stuff that was dumb when the movie was new.

SM1 was always really weak in alot of ways and only skated by on being out on it's own with nothing competing with it really. The origin part is really strong and then, like most origin films, it flounders as it can't find any way to make the rest of the movie work after the origin is done.

X-Men 1, on the other hand, I'd say is surprisingly not bad still. The biggest issue is there's no real sense of letting loose with the mutant fights like you kinda want them to and also the perennial issue of Wolverine the best, Cyclops the worst. But even that is muted compared to what it is in later films and there's a better sense of balance between the two and even a hint of them coming to some sort of understanding towards the end where they don't like each other but do respect each other. But mostly it's not bad.

It being pretty restrained with the CG has helped it age

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    it's not our fault that literally all data that exists reinforces that fictional jocks are turds that need to be beat up by fictional superpeople.

I realize this will put actual jocks in harm's way against actual superpeople but it's a price I am willing to pay in order to marginally alter the processes of shlocky movies.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    like, this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXPOl6EjbWg

will always be really good, because it nails the fundamental choreography, camerawork & editing that make it feel visceral

in a few years the digital components of the costumes will look dated, the props won't look contemporary and the scene will lose some gravitas as a result, the language & mannerisms may become old in decades, etc etc

but it will always be a visceral, tight-ass, exciting sequence to watch

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    How about instead of flash being a bully, we don't make a third Spider-Man franchise in 15 years

The mistake was the second franchise, which only existed at all so Sony could hold on to the rights.

I'm pretty stoked about Spidey coming back to Marvel, personally.

I was skeptical but after watching Civil War I'm all for it since the kid they got for the role and the writing do a really good job of nailing a specific tone that really works for the characters. I'm actually quite hopeful for the whole endeavor.

And while the Amazing Spiderman films weren't great, I think they had some really good actors for them and actually did a few interesting things. And I think they nailed the character of Spiderman in the suit better then Raimi's films ever did. I was sorry to see Garfield go cause I liked him in the role but the new guy wiped away my reservations on that account.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    "cheesy" is a spectacularly useless word

some people use it to describe a thing that doesn't take itself 100% seriously and indulges in theatrics or in winks to the audience

other people use it to describe something that has the temerity to take itself or its genre content more seriously than they think it ought to

some people use it to mean "cheap." other people use it to mean "dated." all do so without really introspecting or explaining why those things are de facto bad

it's pointless

this sounds like something a neoliberal would say

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I hereby motion to ban @simonwolf from all American titles and enjoyment to include but not be limited to

Burgs
    Beeg American titties
    Mini golf

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Brief thought about westworld (full season):
    I don't know where they can even go from here? It basically has to become a totally different show

@y2jake215 apparently this is exactly what is happening
    each season is going to be a largely self-contained story

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    @preacher I found a very disturbing letter only in spectrovision randomly in dead rising 4

I took screenshots on Xbox look at it

We gotta go to the old warehouse to see Rudy the reindeer

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    to be clear I poop on the Raimi Spider-Man movies and the first X-Men movie not because of like

badly dated CGI or whatever

but because I think they're terribly written and have some dodgy as fuck acting and are badly paced and have really fucked up messaging

a few caveats:

1. I have never, ever liked the hyper-serious take on the X-Men that tries to compare their plight to racism, homophobia, or anti-Semitism (aka most takes on the X-Men). It's offensive as fuck and I hate it and have always hated it since I was a fuckin' child. It's why I generally don't like the X-Men as a whole.
    2. The plot of the first X-Men is DUMB.
    3. The first X-Men movie was made when super-heroes were still considered too lame to be mainstream film properties and couldn't be adapted straight, so it is full of outright sneering at the source material ("Would you prefer yellow spandex?"). It's part of the Smallville generation of super-hero adaptations that were Too Cool For School.
    4. Tobey Macguire is a bad actor and was a bad choice for Peter Parker and is really a bad choice to be in... movies.
    5. The pacing of the Spider-Man films are AWFUL in general.
    6. The dialogue of the Spider-Man films are terrible but this might be intentional Raimi camp? idk

I liked the line about the spandex because, let's face it, comic book outfits do usually look really stupid in real life and switching them out for something that both makes sense and actually looks good on a real actor is a good thing and doing so with a little wink at the audience works well.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    "cheesy" is a spectacularly useless word

some people use it to describe a thing that doesn't take itself 100% seriously and indulges in theatrics or in winks to the audience

other people use it to describe something that has the temerity to take itself or its genre content more seriously than they think it ought to

some people use it to mean "cheap." other people use it to mean "dated." all do so without really introspecting or explaining why those things are de facto bad

it's pointless

this sounds like something a neoliberal would say

A pretentious neoliberal.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    like, this scene:

will always be really good, because it nails the fundamental choreography, camerawork & editing that make it feel visceral

in a few years the digital components of the costumes will look dated, the props won't look contemporary and the scene will lose some gravitas as a result, the language & mannerisms may become old in decades, etc etc

I've never thought about it before, but this scene reminds me of Heat.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    being 3/4 through westworld and everyone else either not having started or already having finished is killing me

next time i get into a series maybe i'll invite friends to watch so we can talk symmetrically

that's what i hate most about netflix series.

either you watch it all in a huge binge so you can talk about it or. . .well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    on the other hand

the 90s x men costumes are some of the best ones in marvel heroes 2016.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

I don't want to watch the first X-Men movie again because I have mostly good memories and I am 100% sure they'll be ruined. Especially after seeing that spidey clip.

I wonder, in 50 years, will we be making fun of how cheesy Civil War/Winter Soldier are?

I don't think so. The costume design in Civil War & Winter Soldier is great, compared to the largely terrible costuming in SM. The CGI elements will look dated, but Civil War & WS don't lean on them as much as SM leaned on its own CGI elements for spidey's action scenes.

I've met a couple of people who absolutely can't suspend their disbelief towards Cap's shield ricochet shenanigans.

It's a pretty seminal aspect of the character but I can see it being something we roll our eyes at in a few decades.

like, as the art of shield-throwing progresses?

I think that there will always be people who just refuse to buy into the conceit of a story but i don't think - or I desperately hope - that our species isn't on some bataan death march to dead-eyed literalism. these movies will definitely be harder to watch in 30 years but i suspect it will be for the reason that things are always harder to watch over time: the offhand references and implicit assumptions grow distant and hazier, the style seems weird - our grandchildren will be upset that they can't watch the movie as a hypercompressed 2 minute thirty second Max Headroom blipvert

at the very least i think people will be like what the fuck was with the 2010s and all that shitty color grading

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Brief thought about westworld (full season):
    I don't know where they can even go from here? It basically has to become a totally different show

@y2jake215 apparently this is exactly what is happening
    each season is going to be a largely self-contained story

Hm
    I think that's the right move and frankly kind of relieved? Focusing on the immediate aftermath of the finale seems like it would be...not fun tv

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Hot take on why I generally don't like X-Men as a franchise, conceptually:

I find it pretty offensive when fiction takes a fictitious, supernatural group of people with supernatural abilities (mutants, vampires, mages, robots, cyborgs, etc.) and tries to run metaphors, analogues, and other storytelling similarities between their plights and the plight of real-world minority groups like queer people, black people, Jews, women, etc.

Y'know why? Because a huge part of these stories is always how there's a group of people who hate, fear, and want to destroy/imprison/disenfranchise that minority group and they're generally justified, completely or in part, by the existence of some terrorist, maniac, extremist, or other threat from that group who uses their supernatural powers to hurt people and/or create chaos.

And that is where it completely fucking breaks down and becomes offensive! Gay people don't have eyebeams! Black people aren't dangerous telepaths! Jews don't drink blood! etc. etc.

So the allegory fuckin' implodes, because the fictional people actually are dangerous in a very real way and the people who are prejudiced against them, even if they go to some absurd or absolutist extent, have some foundation in real fears.

Like, in nearly every adaptation of X-Men (including Singer's first film), the Mutant Registration Act is a major plot point. This act is considered a fearmongered bit of hate-legislature within the fiction, compared to rounding people up into concentration camps and other insane bits of discriminatory madness. Except... the Mutant Registration Act is completely reasonable? Mutants are dangerous and they shouldn't be allowed to operate anonymously with impunity. But even if you wanted to sit there and debate the merits of the act within the fiction, the allegory of comparing it to say... Japanese internment (or modern calls to register Muslims) is completely fucking insane and offensive because those groups of people don't have fucking superpowers.

See also: "Aug Lives Matter"

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I remember really liking Spider-Man 2. The pressure of civilian life getting to a super hero to the point where they can't function is bold and patently Spider-Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDMf7A-jzJY
    This enthralled me back in the day.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Toby MacGuire is so bad he managed to make the words of one of America's greatest writers sound like a joke.

• Options
    like, this scene:

i think it has a lot to do with the sound choices and the open but close quarters. so you get to feel a sense of claustrophobia but the camera has a variety of angles to work with to make the scene dynamic at the same time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    I hereby motion to ban simonwolf from all American titles and enjoyment to include but not be limited to

Burgs
    Beeg American titties
    Mini golf

This kind of reactionism is why Trump won

• Options
    to be clear I poop on the Raimi Spider-Man movies and the first X-Men movie not because of like

but because I think they're terribly written and have some dodgy as fuck acting and are badly paced and have really fucked up messaging

a few caveats:

1. I have never, ever liked the hyper-serious take on the X-Men that tries to compare their plight to racism, homophobia, or anti-Semitism (aka most takes on the X-Men). It's offensive as fuck and I hate it and have always hated it since I was a fuckin' child. It's why I generally don't like the X-Men as a whole.
    3. The first X-Men movie was made when super-heroes were still considered too lame to be mainstream film properties and couldn't be adapted straight, so it is full of outright sneering at the source material ("Would you prefer yellow spandex?"). It's part of the Smallville generation of super-hero adaptations that were Too Cool For School.
    4. Tobey Macguire is a bad actor and was a bad choice for Peter Parker and is really a bad choice to be in... movies.
    6. The dialogue of the Spider-Man films are terrible but this might be intentional Raimi camp? idk

I liked the line about the spandex because, let's face it, comic book outfits do usually look really stupid in real life and switching them out for something that both makes sense and actually looks good on a real actor is a good thing and doing so with a little wink at the audience works well.

except the outfits used in X-Men: First Class look just fine

yes, if you take visuals from a completely different visual medium and adapt them 1:1 to another, they look dumb, yes but of course that goes without saying

but who does that?

Nobody does that

Nobody has ever done that

• Options
    In the decade before X-Men 1 came out, this is what Marvel's previous attempts to make a superhero costume looked like:

fantastic_four_1994.jpg

kntuuw8-captainamerica.jpg

8efb7e7e30fa766b5eb218e91ff7cd82.jpg

With that track record, I don't blame them for choosing black leather over spandex.

• Options
    aesthetic [chat]

I don't think so. The costume design in Civil War & Winter Soldier is great, compared to the largely terrible costuming in SM. The CGI elements will look dated, but Civil War & WS don't lean on them as much as SM leaned on its own CGI elements for spidey's action scenes.

I've met a couple of people who absolutely can't suspend their disbelief towards Cap's shield ricochet shenanigans.

It's a pretty seminal aspect of the character but I can see it being something we roll our eyes at in a few decades.

...They can't suspend disbelief about the Vibranium, but can suspend it over the magical super soldier serum or impossibly versatile / lightweight / robust Iron Man armor (made by a single rich guy in his mansion basement, too)?

With Love and Courage
  • Options

a few caveats:

except the outfits used in X-Men: First Class look just fine

yes, if you take visuals from a completely different visual medium and adapt them 1:1 to another, they look dumb, yes but of course that goes without saying

but who does that?

Nobody does that

Nobody has ever done that

I find the spider-man costume in the most recent trailer to be the best one so far in live action and it's definitely closest to the comics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    Anyone who refuses to vote in the Chat of the Year poll is no less a moral terrorist than people who didn't vote because Bernie Sanders didn't get the nomination

• Options
    okay i take it back

Roger Corman does that

and well

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Anyone who refuses to vote in the Chat of the Year poll is no less a moral terrorist than people who didn't vote because Bernie Sanders didn't get the nomination

He writes, with no vote

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    anyone who votes in the poll is the moral equivalent of the guards at one of Australia's offshore refugee concentration camps

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

...They can't suspend disbelief about the Vibranium, but can suspend it over the magical super soldier serum or impossibly versatile / lightweight / robust Iron Man armor (made by a single rich guy in his mansion basement, too)?

What's the quote? Ask your audience to believe one impossible thing?

• Options

like, as the art of shield-throwing progresses?

I think that there will always be people who just refuse to buy into the conceit of a story but i don't think - or I desperately hope - that our species isn't on some bataan death march to dead-eyed literalism. these movies will definitely be harder to watch in 30 years but i suspect it will be for the reason that things are always harder to watch over time: the offhand references and implicit assumptions grow distant and hazier, the style seems weird - our grandchildren will be upset that they can't watch the movie as a hypercompressed 2 minute thirty second Max Headroom blipvert

at the very least i think people will be like what the fuck was with the 2010s and all that shitty color grading

"Pop-pop, why do all the movies in the 2010s have the same forgettable soundtrack?"

• Options

I don't have to take guff from a fellow user.

Also look at these outfits:

x-men-apocalypse-trailer-screenshot-26.jpg

• Options
    making superhero costumes that look good on screen, particularly in the era of HD, is an institutional skill that relies on the accumulated knowledge of however many hundreds of craftspeople in the movie and TV business and their hands-on, trial and error experience with what kind of textures and materials work and don't work in various conditions (and of course there has been actual technical advancement in the field - Michael Keaton couldn't turn his head from side to side!)

that knowledge base didn't really exist in the 1990s but damn if the 1990s didn't have black leather down to a fucking science

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    In the decade before X-Men 1 came out, this is what Marvel's previous attempts to make a superhero costume looked like:

With that track record, I don't blame them for choosing black leather over spandex.

You forgot the most important example

StArbJl.jpg

David Hasselhoff, Agent of SHIELD

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I never realized Blade's bullet-proof vest had four wee tiny pouches in the front.

The 90s were a hell of a time.

• Options
    Speaking of forgettable soundtrack, we rewatched Titan AE last night

So many washed up 90s bands

Powerman 5000...

The Urge

• Options
    aesthetic [chat]
    Kana wrote: »

He writes, with no vote

I have cast my ballot in secret, as is my right as a sovereign chatizen

Rest assured I have done my civic duty

• Options
    aesthetic [chat]
    like, this scene:

I would bet money that Heat's street shoot-out was used as their reference point for that scene (not intended as a criticism, either; they nailed that shit).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    making superhero costumes that look good on screen, particularly in the era of HD, is an institutional skill that relies on the accumulated knowledge of however many hundreds of craftspeople in the movie and TV business and their hands-on, trial and error experience with what kind of textures and materials work and don't work in various conditions (and of course there has been actual technical advancement in the field - Michael Keaton couldn't turn his head from side to side!)

that knowledge base didn't really exist in the 1990s but damn if the 1990s didn't have black leather down to a fucking science

I don't mind that the 90's was all about that black leather and our advancements in costume design didn't exist back then

what I don't appreciate is the shade that used to get thrown on the very idea back in those days

Smallville used to include some shit-headed remark about capes or tights like every third episode for the first five seasons

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I never realized Blade's bullet-proof vest had four wee tiny pouches in the front.

The 90s were a hell of a time.

he keeps his pogs in there

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    don't talk shit on blade in front of me or i'll kill you

This discussion has been closed.