Options

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Gah, farewell Drew.

Agreed with the above that UPF is going to be almost unwatchable now. Also agreed that Nick might be a good get but I'd hate for him to leave Cool Games Inc.

Adam Sessler would be another good addition. Hell, I don't even like him but I'd take Colin Moriarity too - if not just to stir the pot a bit. Someone like Danielle Riendeau would also be great.

They seem to be running out of friends and acquaintences to hire. I wonder if Nick goin on that UPF was him interviewing.

Kinda like how Arthur Gies did a QL once, and totally did not get the job (thank god).

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Gah, farewell Drew.

Agreed with the above that UPF is going to be almost unwatchable now. Also agreed that Nick might be a good get but I'd hate for him to leave Cool Games Inc.

Adam Sessler would be another good addition. Hell, I don't even like him but I'd take Colin Moriarity too - if not just to stir the pot a bit. Someone like Danielle Riendeau would also be great.
    Unfortunately, I don't see them actually getting Nick, but man that would be great. Sessler would have been a good fit back at the founding of GB, perhaps, but I don't see him getting back into this world, and I doubt Jeff would be wild about his consulting gig now.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They should defy trends and go OLDER

Get muhfuggin Jeff Green to come back

• Options
    Jeff green is very comfortable doing youtube streams of WoW and Overwatch for his 450 viewers.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they go for some new, fresh faces with these hires. Austin was relatively unknown and most of us were pleasantly surprised with him. More of that, please!

(Jeff Green is the man, though!)

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Drew leaving is a huge bummer. I definitely wish him well with whatever he's moving on to, but this is a huge blow for GB West.

I'm really holding out hope that they get some new hires sooner than later, and that they end up being amazing. It will be different for sure, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised. I never would have expected Dan to be such a great addition when he was first hired, and he ended up giving them a shot in the arm at a time they really needed it.

Hopefully that'll happen again now. Brad and Rorie are good dudes, but they're not always the most compelling on camera people.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Drew did say that he and Danny will continue to produce an F1 podcast.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    GB's success rate with new hires is 100% up until now.

I'm not too worried about whoever comes in.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It'll just take like 9 months per.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Danielle? Nah.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I wonder what the odds are they get people hired by E3 or if they get to become desiccated husks of humans after trying to do that with like 5 people.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Things that would make GBWest better (IMO):
    - A female staff member
    - Less structure to the UPF format. Alternatively use a bit of this time to have the west coast crew check out games the east coast crew has looked at and provide another take.
    - More drinking on UPF (this is stupid but history shows that this is where the magic happens)
    - More written, long-form content
    - More Endurance Runs (I think this could be a good Brad vehicle)
    - More guests on podcasts, video features, etc.
    - More zaniness in general, don't be afraid to go off script and do weird things. Go to that pizza convention for example.

Bonus opinion - Give GBeast a UPF also.

edit: all just my opinions off the cuff. Many may be stupid.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    I feel like Jeff's contrarian nature kicks in with stuff like ERs, because they don't want to be thought of as an LP channel or whatever. Problem is, at this point in the website's life span, that instinct has kind of kicked them in the rear, because the list of popular things that the audience would like to see more of but Jeff doesn't want to do anymore of keeps getting bigger, and their idea box for new features keeps shrinking.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I think that if someone in the West office wanted to, and had time to do, an ER they would do it

Honestly though, I don't think Jeff, Brad, or Jason necessarily has time to do an Endurance Run

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I think that if someone in the West office wanted to, and had time to do, an ER they would do it

Honestly though, I don't think Jeff, Brad, or Jason necessarily has time to do an Endurance Run

I'll agree with that. West doesn't have the ability to do much of anything right now.

I want to see Beast in the East expand, personally, and go straight into - oh say, Persona 5, after they finish up Yakuza.

Ceno on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think the only real issue was that previously endurance runs were like, a video a day and they didn't prerecord them. Now they buffer them substantially or are limiting it to one per week so it is a much more manageable thing than what it traditionally was.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Beast in the East is explicitly their Yakuza series

After zero they'll be moving into Kiwanis, and their intent is to play the entire series

• Options
    I don't think they'll ever do a P5 ER because the P4 ER was so magical, and once Austin left the dream for the Vinny/Austin ER was dead anyway.

I just don't see what grouping of staff that currently exists that could make that fun.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the GB thread I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here a bit. On a site that is about pushing video content out the door (and some written content) what else are they working on? I mean there are outfits out there with far fewer resources and staff that churn our more content than the GBwest guys (perhaps even both offices put together). For a production person I have no doubt that they are up to their ears in work. I'm just not sure I buy it for the more front-facing talent.

Also, there are other people that work at Giant Bomb aside from the folks we see on camera are their not? Maybe it's an issue of using the resources available to them a bit more efficiently.

Also also, I still don't understand why "the database" is such a big deal to the GB guys. That seems like the solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Also also also, I know that I'm being an armchair CEO here and only have about 15% of the picture. That said, I love GB and just want to continue to see it thrive. That is the spirit of my comments.

• Options
    I don't believe there are people that work at giant bomb aside from the folks we see on camera aside from CBSi infrastructure and website engineers. Like, Jeff talks all the time about how much of his work week is sucked up by meetings and being the manager, and everyone who ever leaves GB always talks about how brad is super busy all the time.

This is why Dan was such a comparative content machine, seems like much more of his week is allowed to be video game related and not business related. I'm pretty convinced this is why Metal Gear Scanlon even existed in the first place, since it allowed them to produce content that only needed Dan and Drew, and production guys were the one place GB West had (sadface) redundancy.

The wiki is Jeff's baby, and you'd have to ask him. He thinks it is important clearly.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I'm almost positive that there is added staff that works primarily with Rory. I could certainly be wrong though.

Either way, take as much shit off of Brad and Jeff's collective plates as possible and let them focus strictly on content. I work in a huge organization and run a team so I understand how meetings can eat into your time. That said, there are always efficiencies to be found I suspect we'll see some come to fruition just out of necessity in the coming months.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Jeff is basically the bulwark between the GB staff and CBSi management. He deals with that shit so everyone else doesn't have to.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Kill UPF. They killed TNT when it got dry, and they need to kill UPF.

Drew said things are coming down the pipe that excite him. But Jeff talked about still hiring, so whatever's exciting is hire-agnostic. I hope it's getting rid of UPF and doing some crazy new shit, because that timeslot is great, but it is far and away their weakest production each week.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I don't believe there are people that work at giant bomb aside from the folks we see on camera aside from CBSi infrastructure and website engineers. Like, Jeff talks all the time about how much of his work week is sucked up by meetings and being the manager, and everyone who ever leaves GB always talks about how brad is super busy all the time.

This is why Dan was such a comparative content machine, seems like much more of his week is allowed to be video game related and not business related. I'm pretty convinced this is why Metal Gear Scanlon even existed in the first place, since it allowed them to produce content that only needed Dan and Drew, and production guys were the one place GB West had (sadface) redundancy.

The wiki is Jeff's baby, and you'd have to ask him. He thinks it is important clearly.

It also gets more into Jeff's rightful obsession of ensuring old game's stuff is properly recorded for history. They had Peter Brown on a few times, and Jeff and him share an enthusiasm for old arcades and games and consoles. It makes it sounds like he wants to offload a lot of it to someone who can store and even show it?

Regardless, the Wiki just makes sense - it's about establishing some records and history about games. But most importantly, by having it on GB, it ensures it's a pure fan experience, that I appreciate more than a dour Wikipedia article on any of those games. GB is fucking superior in that regard.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Danielle? Nah.

Unless you mean for GB East, their chances of headhunting Riendeau are slim to none.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Also the Wiki, to Jeff at least, IS Giant Bomb.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I don't know, I feel UPF is a good way of looking at games they don't have time to look at otherwise.
    What they need to do is start alternating it between UPF West and UPF East.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

TNT ended because it was Ryan's show.

• Options
    And UPF as we know it now is stale and bad. Whatever combo of inspiration and people that made it work are no longer in that combination.

I'm with Glal - some of the funniest/most enjoyable stuff is when East and West work off each other. Rocket League and Overwatch and Gears coop as recent examples.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Man, I would love a For Honor East vs West.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Jeff doesn't like playing games with other people, even good ones. He's a stalwart solo-queuer.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ceno wrote: »
    Jeff doesn't like playing games with other people, even good ones. He's a stalwart solo-queuer.

I'm watching the Berserk quick look and I honestly can't determine if he's sandbagging so hard because he thinks he's being entertaining and adding value to the video, or if he hates the game so much on principle that he wants the quick look to be unenjoyable so people won't buy it.

edit: not directly related to your post but more tangential to the "Jeff likes doing stuff on his own" thing

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    jeff does not like musou games

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    All of their Musou QLs have been kind of bad because nobody on staff gives a shit about them even a little

Except possibly Jason?

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    jeff does not like musou games

I get that. And not liking the games is fine. But the song joke was dumb the 1st time he did it, and he's still fucking doing it every minute or two, and it's just annoying.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    possibly unpopular opinion: UPF was never good.

And I would pay money for a GBeast P5 LP.

• Options

Ditto to both

• Options
    The reddit thread on Drew's departure was basically 'welp, guess my sub goes to Beast in the East now', and they're kind of right.

A P5 LP with Poppa Vinny, Backseat Sardonic, and Dan being this wide eyed little idiot loudly exclaiming all the time would be a delight.

The trick would be to make Dan play, I think.

• Options

You were never good.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Do I have to fucking post Gangbeasts UPF compilations!? ILL DO IT.

This discussion has been closed.