Options

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh man...Demo Derby is so dead. :(

I always liked Drew's viewpoint whenever a game like WaveRace or some old PS1 game came up. I mean, I like Jeff's encyclopedic knowledge but Drew brought something else to that feature.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Waypoint has a lot of good articles, I get super turned off by the full screen ads and stuff I get occasionally though.

the layout design, in the style of VICE and The Verge is godawful.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Demo Derby will remain.

I'd watch Jeff just sadly buttoning through a demo disk solo and recounting old E3 stories if I have to.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Well they did bring Brad onto the last Demo Derby.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Someone posted this old wonderful Drew moment on the GB forums:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYuWEaqU9E

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Speculation about careers is pretty pointless but in a way Vinny has a pretty rare thing at GBeast:

A stable tech job with reasonable and predictable hours and a lot of personal input in those hours.

Though I don't have kids myself, most of my friends do, and at that stage being able to home on time 95% of your workdays can be very valuable.

I can definitely see him wanting another challenge at some point though.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Without Drew I really don't have much motivation to watch or listen to any content from the West office anymore. On the other hand, GB East is doing some of the best work the company has put out in years. Maybe Jeff could hire some reviewers and turn West into a news/reviews office? Maybe go hard on the technical aspects of the gaming industry, like the Beastcast was during Austin's stay?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Without Drew I really don't have much motivation to watch or listen to any content from the West office anymore. On the other hand, GB East is doing some of the best work the company has put out in years. Maybe Jeff could hire some reviewers and turn West into a news/reviews office? Maybe go hard on the technical aspects of the gaming industry, like the Beastcast was during Austin's stay?

What if everyone went east.

It's not like any of them really like San Fransisco anymore

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Jeff has talked about how he thought about moving East ages ago, but as he's gotten older and more married and house-own-y, that's not really an option anymore. Not to mention that SF is, for better or for worse, a video games hub.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Speculation about careers is pretty pointless but in a way Vinny has a pretty rare thing at GBeast:

A stable tech job with reasonable and predictable hours and a lot of personal input in those hours.

Though I don't have kids myself, most of my friends do, and at that stage being able to home on time 95% of your workdays can be very valuable.

I can definitely see him wanting another challenge at some point though.

True. Everything I've heard from Vinny over the years has given me the impression that the job has maybe only slightly changed but that he's had to adjust the most over the years as his priorities change. He can't spend all night at the office, sleeping on a couch anymore. He had to become more efficient with his time so he can go home and have dinner with his family. Maybe a 9ish-5ish M-F job where you get to play vidya and hang out with your friends is what he wants/needs.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all if he left to go do something else once they hire the new GBEast video duder.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Man, I'm going to miss Drew. He just really brings a unique perspective to anything he's in.

Good news though, Alt+F1 is going to continue but will be a new podcast

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I'm glad they're letting him keep the podcast, even if he has to change the name.

Patrick was prudent in doing his side podcasts NOT on Giant Bomb before he left so he could own them.

Of course, he ended up not doing much with them, but still.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I kind of have to agree with the thought that my interest in West content took a big hit with this news. I still love Jeff and I like Jason and Brad but I just don't feel like there is a any real dynamic between the three of them. On the other hand, I'm still not super into This is the Run or Blue Bombin' either but I am very likely to go back and watch them. GBEast Playdates, Beast in the East and the Beastcast seem like the best thing coming out from these guys now.

They really need at least two new people, hopefully three now. One more person in the East and two in the West.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Drew?! Drew! SNAKE?!! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

TIME PARADOX.

• Options
    Jeff talking about the hiring process on Tumblr and why it's not as simple as everyone assumes it is. He does explicitly mention the pitfalls of hiring internationally.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Jeff talking about the hiring process on Tumblr and why it's not as simple as everyone assumes it is. He does explicitly mention the pitfalls of hiring internationally.

Apparently he can't even officially start the process to replace Drew until after Drew's last day? CBSi you crazy

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Anonymous asked:Ballpark: Just how many applicants do you reckon you've received for the position?

Jeff: Hundreds.

I would have guessed thousands. Maybe HR filtered out all the ones with absolutely no experience.

I also don't know why people think it's an easy process. It's not a normal job where you can check certs and qualifications and just hire a dude that sounds competent. It's not like he can go check out a YouTube channel and say "Yeah, I think I'll have me some of that".

Edit: I wonder if the McElroys come with a group discount.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options

Apparently he can't even officially start the process to replace Drew until after Drew's last day? CBSi you crazy

Eh, official hiring processes are not simple things

I can 100% see why that rule would be in place

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Anonymous asked:Ballpark: Just how many applicants do you reckon you've received for the position?

Jeff: Hundreds.

I would have guessed thousands. Maybe HR filtered out all the ones with absolutely no experience.

I also don't know why people think it's an easy process. It's not a normal job where you can check certs and qualifications and just hire a dude that sounds competent. It's not like he can go check out a YouTube channel and say "Yeah, I think I'll have me some of that".

Edit: I wonder if the McElroys come with a group discount.

Not to dump on Giant Bomb here but I feel like the McElroys moving to GB would be a step down for their weird growing media empire

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am not a McElroy fan.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    It's too bad that Danny and Mary are already gone, because both of them would have been a good fit at GB (but I doubt it would have been worth it in any case). Tay might actually be a decent fit, but I don't know how intra-company poaching is handled at CBSi.

Edit: But you know who I'd love to see them get? Intern Nick Robinson. Hands down.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Like, man, I can't quit thinking about how perfect Nick would be. He was on Jeff Cannata's podcast a couple months back and he is exactly what Giant Bomb needs. He lives in the Bay Area. Also, he'd be a legit Anime Editor.

• Options
    The McElroy's have their definite own distinct brand

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I do wish that Blue Bomin' was a bit more about yonder megaman and less about Vinny trying to teach Dan about the world.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I mean Mega Man is pretty straight forward, it mostly kind of speaks for itself

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, 4 megaman games in, there's not much new to talk about aside from the bosses and the occasional weird enemy.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Reminder that the best part of the Shenmue Endurance Run was talking about the Running Man

• Options
    I've recently gotten into the McElroy's stuff, especially Monster Factory and the like and while it is great, it is very different from GB's stuff.

Jeff has also mentioned in terms of hiring: If you don't have voice/video samples, or a background in stage your application doesn't even make it to him. He also has said he has listened to a bunch of bad video game podcasts in the last bit (but also a few decent ones).

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I love Blue Bombin', but it's the only series on the site where I'm gritting my teeth watching Alex play. I'm not even all that good at the series, but his approach is so counter to mine that it can drive me crazy.

Use your weapons! That's the game! Use your charge shot! Use your slide! No, not now!

Again, love the series, but I sympathize a little more with people who flip out about how the guys play on occasion. It's completely irrational, but it's also damned visceral.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    man, with the announcement that the wrestling podcast is done and now no more alt+f1 that's pretty brutal. Those were both premium podcasts that were used as ways to attract people to premium memberships, they were specifically mentioned in the premium pitch videos, etc

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Beast in the East is basically the reason to have a premium subscription going forward.

That's enough for me, but I understand why it wouldn't be enough for some people.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Right now the full slate of premium stuff at this point is UPF, Jar Time, Demo Derby (This one is in a kind of unknown state I guess), Game Tapes, GBE Playdates, Blue Bombing, Beast in the East

It's definitely pretty East-heavy right now, but we're in a weird state where they are now the better staffed half of the site

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Old games with jeff is about at regular as jar time.

• Options
    UPF with Brad and Jeff and sometimes Rorie is going to be the saddest thing on earth.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I stopped watching UPFs awhile ago, probably even before Dan left, and this guarantees I am definitely not going to go back to them.

I'll stay Premium because I feel like there is just enough content and I want to see the site succeed.

Sob24Nm.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    UPF has become the thing I fall asleep watching on the couch after I get home from work on Friday. Usually about an hour in I fall asleep and wake up just as it's ending. Most of the time I really didn't miss anything, but I still go back and skim through what I missed. Most of the time it's the guys chatting about stuff playing deeply boring games. It's definitely not what it used to be.

GB West is really just treading water until the positions are filled, but hopefully they'll bounce back when the hires happen and personalities gel. GB East is putting out such an abundance of content that there's always something to watch. I've been watching 20-45 minutes of Best in the East every day or so, spreading out the video over a few days/lunches.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm glad they're letting him keep the podcast, even if he has to change the name.
    What is to a podcast beyond the personalities involved and its name? Like, beyond the name, what legal ramifications are even possible?
    "This person was getting paid to talk about games online by us. Now that he's no longer employed he's getting paid to talk about games online by someone else. Objection!"

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Drew :(:(:(:(:(:(

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Drew was on the ground floor of the Golden Era of Giantbomb, the 2009-2013 era. And GB is in a lot of ways the grandaddy of video content.

I'm sure he's infinitely employable and this is a great move for someone who still wants to explore opportunities while they're young!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Gah, farewell Drew.

Agreed with the above that UPF is going to be almost unwatchable now. Also agreed that Nick might be a good get but I'd hate for him to leave Cool Games Inc.

Adam Sessler would be another good addition. Hell, I don't even like him but I'd take Colin Moriarity too - if not just to stir the pot a bit. Someone like Danielle Riendeau would also be great.

This discussion has been closed.