• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm​ sure Nintendo's really sweating over missing out on fucking Night Trap
    Well, they should be.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Well I mean I haven't given Nintendo any money for the past 6 years because working there was a complete nightmare of terrible management and miserable working conditions. And i'm just some jerk. Sounds like Nintendo did a lot more to those guys.

So what if Night Trap won't make a difference either way to Nintendo's bottom line. They don't want to work with them and don't want to give them any money. They're allowed, they know the consequences will just be less money for them but they are making a moral stand. I approve of anything that says Fuck Nintendo.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Well I mean I haven't given Nintendo any money for the past 6 years because working there was a complete nightmare of terrible management and miserable working conditions. And i'm just some jerk. Sounds like Nintendo did a lot more to those guys.

So what if Night Trap won't make a difference either way to Nintendo's bottom line. They don't want to work with them and don't want to give them any money. They're allowed, they know the consequences will just be less money for them but they are making a moral stand. I approve of anything that says Fuck Nintendo.

Your concerns are valid, but they're not taking a moral stand against anything the company is doing today
    Or at least they aren't saying so
    They're still sore over the actions of one company man two decades ago

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Some part of me hopes Night Trap does really well for them

They've got my money, at least

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Your concerns are valid, but they're not taking a moral stand against anything the company is doing today
    Or at least they aren't saying so
    They're still sore over the actions of one company man two decades ago

The president of the company impacts a lot of the company's workings. He threw them under the bus while acting in an official capacity, which means Nintendo threw them under the bus. Looking at Nintendo now and how they act about things I can understand why they'd still be leery given their previous experience, even with the changes in leadership over the years. For me, even if Reggie quit and the shitty management culture they have there disappeared overnight i'd still not buy any of their products, and i'd definitely not consider working there again.

I mean them not making a Nintendo version is probably the least of their concerns when it comes to this game's success, so whatever. They have a grudge, it doesn't really make any difference to anyone, so what if they're still holding it. "Hey, remember that Nintendo did this super shitty thing 23 years ago" isn't a bad message to send. Context and history is important to remember.

Sure no one now should use Nintendo's actions re: Night Trap 23 years ago to influence their buying decisions, but the people directly involved are allowed to be mad about it still.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    The issue isn't that they're mad about it, it's that they called Nintendo out in a weird, super-petty way. It comes off as unprofessional, and ain't a good look for a game developer.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    nintendo probably needs to be called out on its history of being really shitty more often, tbh

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Whatever, man, if the dudes releasing Night Trap on PS4 want to give Nintendo the middle finger I 100% support them.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    plague knight is weird and cool

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Whatever, man, if the dudes releasing Night Trap on PS4 want to give Nintendo the middle finger I 100% support them.

Oh no the funny thing is the way he tried to frame it like Nintendo really needed the new Night Trap and he wasn't going to give it to them. Like, the amount of unearned self-importance in that statement was amazing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Crash Mode sucked

Stop trying to replicate Crash Mode

I need proper new Burnout, I'm dying over here

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Crash mode is good and fun

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Oh no the funny thing is the way he tried to frame it like Nintendo really needed the new Night Trap and he wasn't going to give it to them. Like, the amount of unearned self-importance in that statement was amazing.

No, he said they needed third party support, which is not an uncommon sentiment, and that they aren't getting their particular third party support

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Crash mode was great, but I think I enjoyed regular race takedowns more.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's amazing how defensive people are of Nintendo

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Nintendo and Apple are the only two companies I know of that inspire this like

Cult-like defense of any action they take

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    At least Nintendo makes fun things to curry your favour, people will defend companies that treat you deliberate contempt

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

At least Nintendo still has a headphone jack. :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Crash mode is good and fun

I wouldn't buy a game that's just that though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

"Boy it's funny the makers of Night Trap are taking a stand against something Nintendo did 23 years ago" sure is a 'cult-like defense' absolutely

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

"Boy it's funny the makers of Night Trap are taking a stand against something Nintendo did 23 years ago" sure is a 'cult-like defense' absolutely

I'm not talking about this

Its a general observation

• Options
    Maybe it's ok to be mad at a company who did their best to fuck you over

• Options
    I've seen people defend Nintendos:

Continued Sexism/Gender Identity Intolerance as "not a big deal/just how japan is"
    Arcane online policies as "good to protect their consumers"
    80 dollar plastic shell to hold two controllers as "necessary to keep up quality plastic"

etc etc

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    To simply say "it happened 23 years ago" is to ignore the very unique circumstances surrounding it.

It's a re-release of a game that Nintendo deliberately singled out to hold up as an example of how immoral and corrupting video games had become... on other systems.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    To simply say "it happened 23 years ago" is to ignore the very unique circumstances surrounding it.

It's a re-release of a game that Nintendo deliberately singled out to hold up as an example of how immoral and corrupting video games had become... on other systems.

But those people don't even work at the company anymore

if there is a brand new Sonic game coming to the Switch, I think the Night Trap people can ease up on that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Continued Sexism/Gender Identity Intolerance as "not a big deal/just how japan is"
    80 dollar plastic shell to hold two controllers as "necessary to keep up quality plastic"

etc etc

My absolute favorite gem was "I'm glad they release good games at a slow rate, I don't want to be overwhelmed with good games to play"

And this was not in a joking, jovial "oh my god we're drowning in good games right now" sense

They seemed legitimately happy that Nintendo was not overloading them with quality things to play, as they only played games on Nintendo systems

• Options

etc etc

I don't follow on this one. You mean the grip which is $20/$30 for the charging variant?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yo is this night trap box art for the ps4 legit because look that that thing!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

So what? That's not how companies work. The guy who did all the crazy Nestle shit probably doesn't work there any more either. It's still ok for people to not like Nestle.

If it were any of you that had watched a huge company deliberately fuck over your, much smaller company 23 years ago I guarantee you would still be mad about it. I have not the slightest doubt.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Little did the Night Trap revivalists know that their middle finger to Nintendo would spark an uprising in all sectors of third party development, causing them to abandon the once beloved company. As a result of this, Sega, a company long since floundering after the horrific console wars of the 90s and early 00s, emerged from the confusion and released a new console aligning itself ardently with Night Trap.

Sega fans rejoiced, but all was not well in the fandom. A schism emerged. One side, scarred and hardened by the console wars, declared that anyone who bought and played a Nintendo console, even if it was to play a Sega game, were heretics and not true fans. The other side loudly proclaimed that they had no other choice, and that not supporting Sega in this time would have caused the company to disappear completely.

Historians now commonly refer this schism the Nintendonatist Heresy or Controversy.

• Options

etc etc

My absolute favorite gem was "I'm glad they release good games at a slow rate, I don't want to be overwhelmed with good games to play"

And this was not in a joking, jovial "oh my god we're drowning in good games right now" sense

They seemed legitimately happy that Nintendo was not overloading them with quality things to play, as they only played games on Nintendo systems

I've also seen "its good they haven't released emulated versions of more recent entries in their catalogue because those versions wouldn't be up to their quality standards", despite high quality emulators for the 64 having been around for a decade

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Crash Mode sucked

Stop trying to replicate Crash Mode

I need proper new Burnout, I'm dying over here

Crash mode was the only good thing about Burnout, the racing sucked. The rubber banding was ridiculous.

Way more people seem to be shitting on them than defending them here. I don't think anyone's saying what Nintendo did was good, just that Night Trap guy isn't really the best vehicle for this.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Sega nintendoes what Nintendo nintendon't

God my head....

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm in no way disputing that what Nintendo was immoral, but the fact that they included a scene in which a struggling woman is attacked with what looks like an animatronic dildo probably didn't do them any favors in 1993

Platy on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I think it's really funny that Night Trap is getting rereleased at all

So this wrinkle of them being mad at Nintendo is also funny no matter how understandable it is

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I get defensive about nintendo because my uncle works there and he's a good guy so when people talk shit about nintendo it feels like they're talking bad about him

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

etc etc

I've also seen "its good they haven't released emulated versions of more recent entries in their catalogue because those versions wouldn't be up to their quality standards", despite high quality emulators for the 64 having been around for a decade

My quibble with that is the environment. All the emulators for N64 are running on x86 and none of Nintendo's HW is that; plus Nintendo's obsessive need to write stand alone emulation for every title to fully recreate every flaw of the original release doesn't help. I think the NES Classic was their test-bed for improving that for the Switch (given both of them use the same processor architecture), so hopefully the VC on the Switch is better in terms of releases and quantity (and price, fuck paying a ton for every title a third time).

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

So what? That's not how companies work. The guy who did all the crazy Nestle shit probably doesn't work there any more either. It's still ok for people to not like Nestle.

If it were any of you that had watched a huge company deliberately fuck over your, much smaller company 23 years ago I guarantee you would still be mad about it. I have not the slightest doubt.

Maybe, but like I said earlier, I'm a lazyass and holding a grudge is exhausting for me. I don't have a horse in this race though so I don't care if the Night Trap devs are still pissed at Nintendo, that's cool. It's just weird to me personally

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I think it's really funny that Night Trap is getting rereleased at all

So this wrinkle of them being mad at Nintendo is also funny no matter how understandable it is
    The funny thing for me is, like...would anybody on Earth have given a shit about Night Trap in the first place if it hadn't been for the controversy? I've certainly never heard it brought up in any other context.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
This discussion has been closed.