Options

Cook Serve Delicious 2 can go to hell, the [Indie Game] Heat Signature is out

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I've definitley heard of Night Trap long before this but I am a diehard fan of bizarre stupidity

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I've seen people defend Nintendos:

Continued Sexism/Gender Identity Intolerance as "not a big deal/just how japan is"
    Arcane online policies as "good to protect their consumers"
    80 dollar plastic shell to hold two controllers as "necessary to keep up quality plastic"

etc etc

My absolute favorite gem was "I'm glad they release good games at a slow rate, I don't want to be overwhelmed with good games to play"

And this was not in a joking, jovial "oh my god we're drowning in good games right now" sense

They seemed legitimately happy that Nintendo was not overloading them with quality things to play, as they only played games on Nintendo systems

I've also seen "its good they haven't released emulated versions of more recent entries in their catalogue because those versions wouldn't be up to their quality standards", despite high quality emulators for the 64 having been around for a decade

My quibble with that is the environment. All the emulators for N64 are running on x86 and none of Nintendo's HW is that; plus Nintendo's obsessive need to write stand alone emulation for every title to fully recreate every flaw of the original release doesn't help. I think the NES Classic was their test-bed for improving that for the Switch (given both of them use the same processor architecture), so hopefully the VC on the Switch is better in terms of releases and quantity (and price, fuck paying a ton for every title a third time).

Yeah N64 emulators running "good enough" for the average pirate gamer on PCs doesn't translate to "runs to Nintendo's standard of quality on 3DS" and that's a silly false equivalency. I really wish they HAD found a way to make SNES and GBA emulation work on the base 3DS but I don't think their explanation of why they didn't is bullshit at all.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Continued Sexism/Gender Identity Intolerance as "not a big deal/just how japan is"
    80 dollar plastic shell to hold two controllers as "necessary to keep up quality plastic"

etc etc

My absolute favorite gem was "I'm glad they release good games at a slow rate, I don't want to be overwhelmed with good games to play"

And this was not in a joking, jovial "oh my god we're drowning in good games right now" sense

They seemed legitimately happy that Nintendo was not overloading them with quality things to play, as they only played games on Nintendo systems

I've also seen "its good they haven't released emulated versions of more recent entries in their catalogue because those versions wouldn't be up to their quality standards", despite high quality emulators for the 64 having been around for a decade

My quibble with that is the environment. All the emulators for N64 are running on x86 and none of Nintendo's HW is that; plus Nintendo's obsessive need to write stand alone emulation for every title to fully recreate every flaw of the original release doesn't help. I think the NES Classic was their test-bed for improving that for the Switch (given both of them use the same processor architecture), so hopefully the VC on the Switch is better in terms of releases and quantity (and price, fuck paying a ton for every title a third time).

Yeah N64 emulators running "good enough" for the average pirate gamer on PCs doesn't translate to "runs to Nintendo's standard of quality on 3DS" and that's a silly false equivalency. I really wish they HAD found a way to make SNES and GBA emulation work on the base 3DS but I don't think their explanation of why they didn't is bullshit at all.

wheras I think its an insanely transparent lie!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Whenever this kind of software development stuff comes up the answer is always "I am not aware of the complexities involved".

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    If only lies could defeat the power of physics, what a world we would live in

In any case, given now nintendo is only targeting a single platform I'd hope that would help with whatever internal VC development teams they have to push out more content. But nintendo is going to nintendo regardless so who knows

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I fucking love the fact that they came out and went "No Nintendo raked us over the coals for this game in the 90s, no way would we release it on a Nintendo console, fuck them"

It's an incredibly human statement and the idea that they somehow have to adhere to some sort of professionalism in how they rerelease their terrible FMV game is totally bizarre. It actually reminds me a lot of when people got upset at EA for not releasing anything on Wii U.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Whenever this kind of software development stuff comes up the answer is always "I am not aware of the complexities involved".

the more I learn about games the more I appreciate that any of them get out the door at all

in some ways I bet emulation is even more challenging

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    the only thing I find offputting about the night trap thing is that most of the people at nintendo involved with night trap getting screwed aren't with the company anymore

it's a very human and understandable thing but i'm not always up for punishing people for the mistakes of their predecessors i guess

• Options

the more I learn about games the more I appreciate that any of them get out the door at all

I'm told that it would frequently be easier simply to code the game from scratch.

• Options
    edited April 2017

the easiest explanation I can give is given enough horsepower, you can force any square peg through a round hole. but when you are limited in scope (see: modern PCs vs console hardware) you have to either trim that peg down to a circle somehow, or trick the hole into accepting a square peg without it knowing. anything can be done given enough time and money, but there's always other things competing for your time and money.

sony and microsoft now use the same processor types as PCs, so they get to really take advantage of any emulation work done in the past for PCs. Nintendo is not, but their current hardware choice is still a lot better than their previous hardware so things should be better than in the past.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I admit I'm kind of mystified that we're having an impassioned argument about a statement that was not only made 3 years ago but has also been effectively redacted

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Oh it is. Emulators often have to do shit like detecting when certain games are loaded and changing how it processes things because something about how that particular ROM interacted with the original hardware doesn't translate to the emulated version properly. Creating software to approximate hardware is complex. Especially if you want it to run accurately in real time on low-end hardware.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    or if the software used tricks that were only available on the original processor or hardware it was speced for and cause serious issues when run elsewhere

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    For me the most impressive thing to come out of this console generation is the 360 BC on the XB1. They must have some fucking wizards in the HyperV group at MS that helped out because I honestly thought that to be way too difficult to pull off for a consumer product. PowerPC virtualization on a x64 CPU is magic

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    or if the software used tricks that were only available on the original processor or hardware it was speced for and cause serious issues when run elsewhere

There's a ton of this with 80's and early 90's games in particular. Stuff that simply wouldn't have been possible on that hardware normally but by knowing the exact timing of everything that's processed on the hardware they could "hard code" events or triggers. It's fascinating stuff.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Yeah that 360 on XB1 is really good. I mean, if you want to look at something that was crazy look at the original PS3. It had a fucking PS2 cpu and PS1 cpu (which was the PS2's sound processor AFAIK, and how the PS2 emulated PS1 games) crammed in there so they could run PS2 and PS1 games. It was financially unfeasible for them to keep doing that kind of shit, even if it was so awesome to be able to play all the games

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I mean, not for nothing does Night Trap LLC hold this grudge, but they also put out a statement on August 15 of 2014 that since people had asked for it, they would add a $20k USD stretch goal that would cover the cost of porting the game ot the Wii U... once they were closer to fulfilling the original goal, anyway

The reason they did this is that there was a larger discussion of which the past couple pages have effectively acted as microcosm, and they were convinced by the arguments that the grudge wasn't worth not bringing the game to Wii U hardware. They were still pissed, but not that pissed. To quote:
    To that end, today we applied to become WiiU developers and publishers. We obviously have no idea whether Nintendo will approve the title for its platform, and our developer has told us that porting the game to a two-screen experience is going to cost approximately $20,000 beyond what we’re already going to spend for the other four platforms we're supporting. When we get closer to the end of this campaign, if it looks as if we’re going to succeed, we’ll announce a $20,000 stretch goal, and offer $20 downloads via the Nintendo eShop.

This might in fact be a nice way to end twenty years of animosity between two entities who once worked very well together, and we thank all of you for inspiring this soul searching. Never say never…

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    One of the most mind-bending feats of backwards compatibility is actually Windows. The amount of shit they do to ensure that you can generally run something on there that was written for Windows 3.1 is insane. You can install the original first release of Windows (or even DOS) and upgrade it all the way to Windows 10 if you have the right disks.

• Options
    One of the most mind-bending feats of backwards compatibility is actually Windows. The amount of shit they do to ensure that you can generally run something on there that was written for Windows 3.1 is insane. You can install the original first release of Windows (or even DOS) and upgrade it all the way to Windows 10 if you have the right disks.

Microsoft used to (and maybe still does, but I read about this years ago) have a department dedicated to nothing but testing old software on their latest Windows release and creating individual solutions for making it run properly if necessary.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hot Take from last page: both the racing and the crashing in Burnout are great and it is the best racing franchise

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    For me the most impressive thing to come out of this console generation is the 360 BC on the XB1. They must have some fucking wizards in the HyperV group at MS that helped out because I honestly thought that to be way too difficult to pull off for a consumer product. PowerPC virtualization on a x64 CPU is magic

It makes me wonder how they did it and what else is theoretically possible!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    didn't they already make a game that was just the Burnout crash mode
    I believe it was called... Burnout Crash

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    didn't they already make a game that was just the Burnout crash mode
    I believe it was called... Burnout Crash

That was a weird top-down thing that kinda sucked, this would be behind-the-back standard driving game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

Oh it is. Emulators often have to do shit like detecting when certain games are loaded and changing how it processes things because something about how that particular ROM interacted with the original hardware doesn't translate to the emulated version properly. Creating software to approximate hardware is complex. Especially if you want it to run accurately in real time on low-end hardware.

And don't forget stuff like the Super FX chip that added hardware inside cartridges for more power

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

And don't forget stuff like the Super FX chip that added hardware inside cartridges for more power

Super FX actually introduced a ridiculous non-technical limitation to emulation, too--licensing!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Yeah that 360 on XB1 is really good. I mean, if you want to look at something that was crazy look at the original PS3. It had a fucking PS2 cpu and PS1 cpu (which was the PS2's sound processor AFAIK, and how the PS2 emulated PS1 games) crammed in there so they could run PS2 and PS1 games. It was financially unfeasible for them to keep doing that kind of shit, even if it was so awesome to be able to play all the games

I'm so glad I managed to snag one of the backward compatible PS3s while they were still making them. But yeah, no wonder they released at 600 bucks.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

etc etc

Yeah, I'm not happy about any of that kind of stuff.

I still think a 23 year old grudge against people who don't work at Nintendo anymore is kinda funny.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

etc etc

I still think a 23 year old grudge against people who don't work at Nintendo anymore is kinda funny.

Those things didn't cost you your business though.

It's entirely different when millions of dollars were on the line.

I'd hold a grudge over that to the grave.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Heck I'll hold a grudge over ten dollars.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I think it's weirder, honestly, that people keep hammering the idea that the people "at fault" no longer work there anymore, considering how often people even on this very forum ascribe meaning to studios working on games even though the actual people working at that studio have changed.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

etc etc

Those things didn't cost you your business though.

It's entirely different when millions of dollars were on the line.

I'd hold a grudge over that to the grave.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Heck I'll hold a grudge over ten dollars.

i'll hold a grudge for someone else for 10 dollars

feel free to pm

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I think it's really funny that Night Trap is getting rereleased at all

So this wrinkle of them being mad at Nintendo is also funny no matter how understandable it is
    The funny thing for me is, like...would anybody on Earth have given a shit about Night Trap in the first place if it hadn't been for the controversy? I've certainly never heard it brought up in any other context.

It would still be remembered for being a bizarre FMV game with some minor titillation in it. FMV games have always had a tiny little home in the collective memory of gaming history.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    I thought FMV games were a fun, goofy genre

• Options
    I'd like to think that even without the controversy, people remember such fine products as Sewer Shark, Slam City with Scottie Pippen, and the vaunted Make My Video series.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Holy shit, I never wanted to get Horizon 3 more than right now.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

etc etc

I don't know... This wasn't something like a business deal going bad or a game getting cancelled. They were used as an example of "protect the children from this" content in order to shame a competitor in a Senate hearing. That's a fairly big deal. It was a cutthroat move by a company that showed they were willing to do anything in order to hurt their competition.

And I can completely understand holding a 23 year long grudge against the company that approved of that conduct instead of the individuals who did so.

No I don't.
  • Options
    There was a game called like... Texas Shoot Guy Aliens that I always wanted to play. You were looking for a secret moop in a small town and it was a different moop every time.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Are you thinking of Westerado, by any chance?

It's the only thing that comes to mind with 'looking for person that changes every game'.

This discussion has been closed.