Options

Cook Serve Delicious 2 can go to hell, the [Indie Game] Heat Signature is out

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just started playing Night in the Woods
    it is very neat

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I just want to see what yacht club's first non shovel knight thing is gonna be

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just want to see what yacht club's first non shovel knight thing is gonna be

Pickaxe Paladin

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    They've already hinted that their next game will be a shovel knight sequel of some kind

Iirc some of the ideas they've suggested are super shovel knight, shovel knight 64, and kart racing and RPG spin offs

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I would love a shovel knight game in a genre I don't despise. I really enjoyed the writing and style but I can't stand platformers.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    mattock mamluk

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Broom Samurai

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yooka-laylee 2

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    On further reflection, Shovel/Shield also OTP

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    On further reflection, Shovel/Shield also OTP

Not the characters, just the weapons

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    request for a Proletariat Knight that fights with hammer and sickle

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

Oh man turn-based JRPG with action commands? Hell yes.

i'm excited but I'm not sure I'm ready for random encounter battles to come back into my life again

It looks like the monsters show up as floating black spheres in the field, so not quite random encounters

Something's wrong with me because the most exciting thing about that trailer is the drawn backgrounds with polygonal characters but with polygonal battle arenas. I will eat that incredibly specific shit up.

It's so PS1-but-without-garbage-graphics and I'm really into it. Honestly I'm fine with randbatts too. I was just playing some Bravely Second this weekend and it was fine.

I

was kinda disappointed with the graphical fidelity of the characters

I wanna see those polygons

Me too

That game still looks pretty cool though

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    They've already hinted that their next game will be a shovel knight sequel of some kind

Iirc some of the ideas they've suggested are super shovel knight, shovel knight 64, and kart racing and RPG spin offs

It should 100% be super shovel knight. The 64 era would indicate a 3D platformer and that era of platformer was terrible. Super Shovel Knight please

• Options
    Shovel Knight 64 would be great

They also suggested Shovel Knight Super Mario RPG I believe, which would also be great

I feel like a Super Shovel Knight would be way too close to what they've already been doing

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Shovel Knight 64 would be great

They also suggested Shovel Knight Super Mario RPG I believe, which would also be great

I feel like a Super Shovel Knight would be way too close to what they've already been doing

Yeah but if Shovel Knight is their Mega Man, I really wanna know what their Mega Man X looks like.

That said, all the world building and character development they've been doing with the expansions has me super interested in a Super Shovel Knight RPG.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

It should 100% be super shovel knight. The 64 era would indicate a 3D platformer and that era of platformer was terrible. Super Shovel Knight please

Eh, there were plenty of terrible 8-bit and 16-bit platformers. I don't think the 32/64 era is really that different.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Shovel Knight Teaches Typing

• Options

Eh, there were plenty of terrible 8-bit and 16-bit platformers. I don't think the 32/64 era is really that different.

Well the primary difference is there were also a bunch of good 8-bit and 16-bit platformers.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    A four-pronged Shovel Knight attack

Yacht Club makes Super Shovel Knight

Zeboyd makes Shovel Knight RPG

Playtonic makes Shovel Knight 64

Sumo Digital makes Shovel Knight Racing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

There are a lot of great 8 and 16 bit platformers that still stand up today. I don't think that's true of the 32/64 bit era 3D platformers. At all.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Even the "good" 3D platformers of that era aged poorly

16-bit-esque Super Shovel Knight is I think the obvious choice if they have to go with any of that stuff, but I'm 100% over 3D platformers forever and I think Kart racers peaked decades ago also

I'd honestly like to see them move onto something entirely conceptually different, but it seems like they actually want to do this stuff as opposed to feeling forced to do it, so who am I to say

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Even the "good" 3D platformers of that era aged poorly

16-bit-esque Super Shovel Knight is I think the obvious choice if they have to go with any of that stuff, but I'm 100% over 3D platformers forever and I think Kart racers peaked decades ago also

I'd honestly like to see them move onto something entirely conceptually different, but it seems like they actually want to do this stuff as opposed to feeling forced to do it, so who am I to say

I think they're very interested in expanding on the world and characters they've created, while not necessarily feeling tied to any particular genre of gameplay.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I guess I'm the odd man out, but I can fire up Banjo Kazooie and still have a blast to this day.

I'm just imagining a game as fun as that but with Shovel Knight mechanics.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

They never really suggested they would do Shovel Knight 64, not really—though they have talked about the possibility on a long-ago 8-4 podcast.

I think what they said, specifically, was that they would want to do a 3D platformer that played like people remembered Super Mario 64, in much the same way that Shovel Knight plays how people remember NES platformers. They'd be bringing 20 years of refinement into the formula, if they ever went for a 3D game.

But a Shovel Knight 64 probably isn't happening anytime soon, the studio is still way too tiny

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Banjo-Kazooie holds up better than Mario 64 (because it was a better game to begin with (I'm ready to fight on this (come at me)))

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I want to say they had a poll awhile back to gauge interest and Shovel Knight 64 was one of the options, which is where people are getting all these concepts

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Id be fine with super shovel or shovel 64 but if they just skip straight to super shovel 3d world that would be rad

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I kind of want to see them do something else, if that's what they wanna do. If they choose to do more Shovel Knight, great! I love Shovel Knight. But they should also feel free to do whatever they please, after having lashed themselves to one title nonstop for 4-5 years

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I would say most 8-bit platformers don't hold up very well

but also I don't really like Shovel Knight and would rather play a new 3D platformer with N64-esque graphics than a new 2D platformer

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    They've bought themselves enough credit with me to basically do whatever they want

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I would say most 8-bit platformers don't hold up very well

but also I don't really like Shovel Knight and would rather play a new 3D platformer with N64-esque graphics than a new 2D platformer

God, I'm considering revoking your "best poster" status for this one.

Edit: Nope, can't do it, your record is too strong.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'd love if they did a Shovel/Shield Knight metroidvania game ala Portrait of Ruin.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I keep throwing myself at the infinite tower in specter knight, I've made it a little further than halfway but thats it so far

I should probably hate it but I think that because the sections are randomly ordered and you get to keep any money you pick up each time it is way less frustrating than repeating a hard platforming section in most actual levels over and over

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I keep throwing myself at the infinite tower in specter knight, I've made it a little further than halfway but thats it so far

I should probably hate it but I think that because the sections are randomly ordered and you get to keep any money you pick up each time it is way less frustrating than repeating a hard platforming section in most actual levels over and over

I got to, like, 80% once. Once.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Return to Castle Shovel Knight.

wolfenstein style FPS

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

The trick to it is the upgraded timeslow coin. It really gives you room to recover from bad RNG. Once I started using it I completed it within five or so attempts (after spending like, hours at it)

Reward for completing it
    And then I wanted to throw my Switch across the room when the fucking reward turned out to just be MONEY

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Weak but at least he didn't (breath of the wild korok seed spoilers I guess??)
    take a ghost shit in your bag

Also I'm wearing the money saving armor and I cant quite figure out the rules for the whole "lose will and darkness and go to safety when you die" part

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

The trick to it is the upgraded timeslow coin. It really gives you room to recover from bad RNG. Once I started using it I completed it within five or so attempts (after spending like, hours at it)

Reward for completing it
    And then I wanted to throw my Switch across the room when the fucking reward turned out to just be MONEY

Wait, really?
    Why the hell was my completion rate only 98% then?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Banjo-Kazooie holds up better than Mario 64 (because it was a better game to begin with (I'm ready to fight on this (come at me)))

I agree

This discussion has been closed.