As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    My main complaint is just how boring car colors are in general, and relegating all the cool colors to special order only doesn't do a lot to encourage or enable random folks to buy an awesome colored car, because the vast majority of folks are not going to custom order a vehicle.

Manufacturers, dealers, and car buyers all need to just live a little. Hyundai, for example, has this really cool surf blue color that's available on a lot of their cars, and when I was at the largest Hyundai dealer in the region recently I saw that color on exactly one car in their entire lot.

yeah seriously. The new Kona has that rad neon color that exactly zero dealers with in a hundred miles purchased. Would you like your black, white, or gray car? :rotate:

I did a quick search on cars.com and within 75 miles of Los Angeles there are less than 30 Konas with a paint job other than black/white/silver/gray. Out of nearly 500 Konas for sale out here.

There's also only 14 with AWD.

Good luck ever finding a car with a manual transmission and a color other than black/white/silver. It is my white whale.

Speaking of the MT, has anyone been put into the conundrum of wanting a new car with a manual, but having a partner that refuses to learn how to drive it and pressures you to get a car with an automatic instead? And on an unrelated note, anyone have experience with a small car and a new baby? I think I'll hold onto the Mazda 3 for a while longer since it's paid off and still rock solid reliable but am I going to want more space in the future?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    My main complaint is just how boring car colors are in general, and relegating all the cool colors to special order only doesn't do a lot to encourage or enable random folks to buy an awesome colored car, because the vast majority of folks are not going to custom order a vehicle.

Manufacturers, dealers, and car buyers all need to just live a little. Hyundai, for example, has this really cool surf blue color that's available on a lot of their cars, and when I was at the largest Hyundai dealer in the region recently I saw that color on exactly one car in their entire lot.

yeah seriously. The new Kona has that rad neon color that exactly zero dealers with in a hundred miles purchased. Would you like your black, white, or gray car? :rotate:

I did a quick search on cars.com and within 75 miles of Los Angeles there are less than 30 Konas with a paint job other than black/white/silver/gray. Out of nearly 500 Konas for sale out here.

Now which of those AWD units have a unique paint job???

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Now which of those AWD units have a unique paint job???

There's one in red, the rest are silver, gray, white, or black.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I remember the previous model Merc E class - it was available in your choice of white, near-white, very light grey, medium grey, silvery grey, and black.

I think they've added a dark brown now?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Like, look how cool the Veloster N looks in that blue color with the red accents! https://www.hyundaiusa.com/veloster-n

No regular Veloster gets that color. It's 4 shades of white/grey/black, and maybe like 6 red ones total in the entire country, mostly in Wyoming probably.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

Good luck ever finding a car with a manual transmission and a color other than black/white/silver. It is my white whale.

Speaking of the MT, has anyone been put into the conundrum of wanting a new car with a manual, but having a partner that refuses to learn how to drive it and pressures you to get a car with an automatic instead? And on an unrelated note, anyone have experience with a small car and a new baby? I think I'll hold onto the Mazda 3 for a while longer since it's paid off and still rock solid reliable but am I going to want more space in the future?

I have experience with both.

To the manual question: my wife prefers automatic and didn't know how to drive a manual at all when we met. I'm not entirely sure how I pulled this off, but I somehow convinced her that leasing a manual Cruze would be a great learning experience (and it was cheaper than the auto!) It took a few months, but she did eventually learn how to drive the thing. She still prefers an auto and has one in her truck; my car is for me, and she doesn't get a say in that, so the SS is a manual.

As far as small cars and kids, when my oldest daughter was born we had a Saturn SL2 (Civic/Corolla sized) sedan and a 4th gen Camaro coupe. In terms of how much space you "need," both cars worked fine for us. The first year is a little tight, because rear-facing car seats take up a shitload of room, so the front passenger may need to give up some legroom. Once you're past the first year, it's pretty easy; front facing car seats aren't too bad to deal with, and all you'll ever need for 99% of situations is a stroller and a diaper bag. Now, whether you use an umbrella stroller or a super deluxe massive jogging stroller will be dependent on how much cargo room you have to spare. Our stroller (matched to the rear facing seat) fit fine in both the Saturn and the Camaro. Now with two kids, we ended up with a free double place stroller that takes up half the trunk space in a fucking Tahoe - but I loathe that stroller and consider it an utter waste of space. There's no reason a Mazda 3 can't shuttle 1-2 kids around reasonably.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Like, look how cool the Veloster N looks in that blue color with the red accents! https://www.hyundaiusa.com/veloster-n

No regular Veloster gets that color. It's 4 shades of white/grey/black, and maybe like 6 red ones total in the entire country, mostly in Wyoming probably.

Those red accents are like the stripe on BMW M cars, though - you'll never get them on a non-N model from the factory.

• Options

Those red accents are like the stripe on BMW M cars, though - you'll never get them on a non-N model from the factory.

Even the regular Veloster Turbo (and higher) models have some of the red accents (just on the grill/front spoiler, not down the sides).

Honestly, I'd settle for any cool blue or green color, though.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I think one of my favorite colors is Volvo's Swedish Racing Green. Also a big fan of British Racing Green. I guess what I'm saying is I like blue and green cars. The GTI's Great Falls Green is pretty nice too, plus I really dig the plaid cloth seats!

• Options
    McLaren is the best manufacturer (outside of Rolls Royce) for colour range - 35 choices for the 570GT.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Most 2019 models start getting released in the fall right?

Do some get released later?

When is the latest you generally start hearing news of the new years models?

Just trying to figure out how long between being announced and released a car might be in case there's a surprise bump in price over the previous model year.

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I think one of my favorite colors is Volvo's Swedish Racing Green. Also a big fan of British Racing Green. I guess what I'm saying is I like blue and green cars. The GTI's Great Falls Green is pretty nice too, plus I really dig the plaid cloth seats!

God, the Polestar blue (lol, Swedish Racing Green) is probably my favorite car color ever and I really wish my C30 was that color

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

I had a black Veloster with piano black trim(lol). Anyway, with 130hp some springs, intake, and exhaust I was able to outrun a few BRZs at auto cross. I can only imagine what 275hp would do!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just picked a new battery for the ATV and now it actually turns over and runs! Cleaned it up, changed the oil and it is ready to go riding! I love hearing a well tuned idle. just sits there and purrs.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Of course the 2nd ATV is having issues. I think the carb is glazed. It's running lean and I need to keep the choke on for it to idle. It hasn't been fired up in about a year. the gas seems fine (run clear non-ethanol gas that was stabilized before putting it away), but I'm going to drain it anyways and replace with new gas, some cleaners and then fire it back up, and spritz some cleaner into the throttle body while it idles.

If that doesn't fix it then I have new jets, but I really don't want to re-jet the carb a couple days before my trip. I DID get the oil changed though, it was grungy as shit. I told my dad I'm going to store the quads from now on as he does not take care of his.

• Options
    Surely you'd probably need to re-jet the carbs at your destination anyway? Or are you not travelling very far, vertically?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Surely you'd probably need to re-jet the carbs at your destination anyway? Or are you not travelling very far, vertically?

about -400ft, so not too drastic a change, specifically going from about 400ft down to the coast. I have another two days to wrench on it, so no matter what It'll get solved. I just want the least amount of work possible. It's getting dropped off at my bros afterwards and he is going to use it to tool around his property, so it's going to be out of my hair after this week.

Edit: Oh shit, looks like there is room on the ATV to rotate the carb in place for easy access to the jets. I'll just put the new ones in tomorrow after running cleaner through everything. Fuck the old ones.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Just trying to figure out how long between being announced and released a car might be in case there's a surprise bump in price over the previous model year.

Except for ultra-high demand models there will be some overlap of stock with 18s and 19s. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

• Options
    I saw a new Corolla hatch on the road today and dammit Toyota is going to get me to buy a Corolla, aren't they?

• Options
    I saw a new Corolla hatch on the road today and dammit Toyota is going to get me to buy a Corolla, aren't they?

Test drive it and compare it to other similar cars! They're a great deal better than they used to be, but Corollas still bore me to tears. The brand new model is hopefully a lot more fun to drive.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, the hatch seems tuned to be more exciting than the standard sedan. They're available with a manual transmission (I don't even know if the sedan can be ordered with one in the USA?) and it gets a 2.0L I4 vs the 1.8L I4 in the sedan.

I just really liked the way it looks, which is surprising because I really dislike the Corolla sedan.

The problem is the price. A Corolla Hatchback SE comes in around $22,000 and for that money I could get a Hyundai Elantra GT Sport which is up like 40hp/tq on the Corolla and probably has a sportier drive. Or for just $2000 more you can get a Honda Civic Si.

jgeis on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Re colours: The smaller the car the better the chance to find it in a non-greyscale colour, I'd say.

Although on the other hand I do think the i8 has one of the best paint schemes. Those blue accents.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Nah, it's not size based, just class based. There's three vehicle types that come in cool colors: ultra cheap cars (Mitsubishi Mirage), "cheap" sporty/enthusiast cars (Camaro, Challenger, Wrangler), and exotics (Lambo).

Everybody else gets white/gray/black/beige. Maybe maroon if you're feeling spicy.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The good news: I have a lead on a Honda XR400R in my budget

The bad news: In order to get it back to where I live, I'm gonna have to give it a ride through a city of 3-6 million (Dar Es Salaam sprawls in a way that's hard to count literal millions of people woops) with some truly nasty traffic

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Except for ultra-high demand models there will be some overlap of stock with 18s and 19s. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Well it would be for a car that would probably be a custom order sort of thing. Do you know how that generally works? I'd think the new orders would probably just be for whatever the current model year is but I honestly don't know very much about how the transition happens.

• Options
    Honda are releasing a road/trail oriented version of the CRF450R called the CRF450L, and it is designed specifically to make me pine for it. The old enduro model CRF450X was a fine bike, but not really suitable for the road. This new one's fucking perfect for me, and I'm gonna die miserable because I'll never own one.

• Options
    Honda are releasing a road/trail oriented version of the CRF450R called the CRF450L, and it is designed specifically to make me pine for it. The old enduro model CRF450X was a fine bike, but not really suitable for the road. This new one's fucking perfect for me, and I'm gonna die miserable because I'll never own one.

The minute someone makes a good rally raid fairing+tank+accessories kit for that, to make it look like the Honda rally team bikes, it's going on my dream list

Who am I kidding, it's already up there

• Options
    edited August 2018
    honovere wrote: »
    Re colours: The smaller the car the better the chance to find it in a non-greyscale colour, I'd say.

Although on the other hand I do think the i8 has one of the best paint schemes. Those blue accents.

Yeah, I love BMW's colors on the i-line. Our i3 is the panda one (white body with black hood/roof/hatch), and the blue accents are super nice on it, too.

minor incident on
  • Options
    But hey, it's me, the guy who thinks just about every car looks better with a black (or contrast) roof.

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

The minute someone makes a good rally raid fairing+tank+accessories kit for that, to make it look like the Honda rally team bikes, it's going on my dream list

Ooof, an Africa Twin or Super Tenere would still be the goto there I think. Maybe an F800GS Adventure?

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Ooof, an Africa Twin or Super Tenere would still be the goto there I think. Maybe an F800GS Adventure?

Shouldn't be impossible. I'm thinking like these CRF450s that already exist:

2014-honda-crf450-rally-metzler-team-03.jpg

2014-honda-crf450-rally-metzler-team-09.jpg

Pretty much just taking the 450L and fabbing up some fairings, extra gas capacity, and a few other tweaks to make it extra-capable over distance! Still something of a high-maintenance time bomb relative to something like the Africa Twin or V-Strom, but also extra-light and better tuned to the job than the enduro or mx-spec 450s. People have been doing similar mods to KTM singles for ages now

• Options
    Lol, "high maintenance" - the claim is that the CRF450L goes 32,000 km (or ~19,800 miles) between major engine work - that's two to three years worth of riding between jug pulls. Are you kidding me? I still remember when the WR426 had a "time between overhauls" of four hours. That's right, go for a weekend long-haul trip on your four-stroke enduro bike, and you'd be putting new piston rings on it at lunch time and dinner time on Saturday and Sunday... Four minor overhauls for two days riding!

I have seen some incredibly stupid videos online about a 'conspiracy' surrounding the 450L, like apparently adding weight to the flywheel, reducing the compression ratio from 13.5:1 to 12:1 and swapping out the cams for more torque-oriented units has dropped the power from ~60 horsepower to ~25.

Yep okay, the new Honda 450 model makes less power than a Suzuki DR-Z400E, good job idiots...

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I mean, if you swap cams and reduce compression no shit it's going to make less power....

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    One of my favorite Youtube channels is William Gloege, https://www.youtube.com/user/willyg580, who bikes tens of thousands of miles (pretty much around the world at this point) on a Honda Africa Twin. The bike for him has been extremely reliable outside of normal maintenance. As much as he loves his Africa Twin he still has a big soft spot for KLR 650's.

I can't deny watching his channel has made me wish that one day I could have the skills, money, and courage to do something similar.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »
    I mean, if you swap cams and reduce compression no shit it's going to make less power....

Yeah but not 25. Especially not down from nearly 60. Turns out it was a European bike website publishing the CRF250L power figures as the CRF450L stats...

Current best guess is around 45-48 horsepower.

Which is plenty for a road/trail bike like that (130 kilos, motocross-derived frame).

• Options
    Got the old main jet out of the carb, sprayed out the inside with a light hit of carb cleaner, waiting for that to evaporate a bit before re-installing. I've also gotten the old gas drained. Slowly but surely getting this thing going.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    New tires mounted! So this is what it's like when your car has grip!

• Options
    I twisted the new jet right off its threads. Luckily they are cheap and I bought a spare. 2nd one installed much more gently. everything re-installed and just waiting for a bit of spilled gas to evaporate away and then time to start it up!

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    One of my favorite Youtube channels is William Gloege, https://www.youtube.com/user/willyg580, who bikes tens of thousands of miles (pretty much around the world at this point) on a Honda Africa Twin. The bike for him has been extremely reliable outside of normal maintenance. As much as he loves his Africa Twin he still has a big soft spot for KLR 650's.

I can't deny watching his channel has made me wish that one day I could have the skills, money, and courage to do something similar.

One I've been keeping tabs on is Lyndon Poskitt, a British fellow who rides a KTM 690 rally bike around the world to get to the 450ccs rallies, which he then races on a smaller bike he ships to the start lines

he's just about to start Africa but it turns out 200,000 km on a KTM rally machine necessitates a frame-up rebuild, which has kept him in South Africa over a month now. Basil the 690 is, beside the frame itself, nearing Ship-of-Theseus status

• Options
    So it turns out one of the brake pads on the rear of the crown vic fell apart! The other pads are about 40% and this one is gone! Worst part is that it wasn't squealing. I've just recently noticed vibration through the brake and a low grumbling. Time for new pads, rotors and calipers on the back end. Woo!

I'm towing a trailer 150 miles tomorrow! I love this last minute shit. At least I caught it.

This discussion has been closed.