As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Most 2019 models start getting released in the fall right?

Do some get released later?

When is the latest you generally start hearing news of the new years models?

Just trying to figure out how long between being announced and released a car might be in case there's a surprise bump in price over the previous model year.

Except for ultra-high demand models there will be some overlap of stock with 18s and 19s. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Well it would be for a car that would probably be a custom order sort of thing. Do you know how that generally works? I'd think the new orders would probably just be for whatever the current model year is but I honestly don't know very much about how the transition happens.
    Your window for custom-ordering an 18 from the factory is probably closed. The lead time on most products is a couple months, so everyone is in full swing on 19s by now.

You can also see if someone has already posted news on the particular model you’re looking at. Most everything leaks these days.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    New brakes on the back end of the Crown Vic. By god I'm going to take this vacation!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2018
    Left my 86 for 9 days whilst I went on holiday and the battery went flat. Not flat enough to stop me getting in but enough that it wouldn't turn over and needed a jump.

This is the second time this has happened and the dealership insisted that the battery was "well within their range" and wouldn't replace the known faulty 45aH Panasonic unit with the upgraded 60aH whilst it was still under warranty. Now it's out of warranty and all the third-party batteries I can find online have the terminals the wrong way around whilst at the same time insisting that the battery is the one I need because presumably they're just going of manufacturer recommended loads.

What a pain.

Edit: £80 later and I found a Bosch 60aH that apparently fits the 86 and has the terminals the correct way around.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Most 2019 models start getting released in the fall right?

Do some get released later?

When is the latest you generally start hearing news of the new years models?

Just trying to figure out how long between being announced and released a car might be in case there's a surprise bump in price over the previous model year.

Except for ultra-high demand models there will be some overlap of stock with 18s and 19s. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Well it would be for a car that would probably be a custom order sort of thing. Do you know how that generally works? I'd think the new orders would probably just be for whatever the current model year is but I honestly don't know very much about how the transition happens.
    Your window for custom-ordering an 18 from the factory is probably closed. The lead time on most products is a couple months, so everyone is in full swing on 19s by now.

You can also see if someone has already posted news on the particular model you’re looking at. Most everything leaks these days.

Yea I've been hitting the ol googler every week seeing if anything has popped up but nothing has yet.

How would that work out if I went into a dealership and was like "I want to order one of these!" during this window that's too late for the 18s but the 19s haven't been officially announced?

Would they just say no and tell me to wait?

• Options
    Damn the loaded trailer makes the ass end of the crown vic sag a bit. Not too bad I think, the wheels aren't buried in the wells or anything, just going to have to take it slow.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Left my 86 for 9 days whilst I went on holiday and the battery went flat. Not flat enough to stop me getting in but enough that it wouldn't turn over and needed a jump.

This is the second time this has happened and the dealership insisted that the battery was "well within their range" and wouldn't replace the known faulty 45aH Panasonic unit with the upgraded 60aH whilst it was still under warranty. Now it's out of warranty and all the third-party batteries I can find online have the terminals the wrong way around whilst at the same time insisting that the battery is the one I need because presumably they're just going of manufacturer recommended loads.

What a pain.

Edit: £80 later and I found a Bosch 60aH that apparently fits the 86 and has the terminals the correct way around.

When looking for battery replacements, find the BCI Group Number on your current battery and use that to match size and terminals. It won't help much in your case though since you are trying to fit a larger battery in place of stock.

And that may not necessarily be the battery. One of my car's factory stereo has an unusually high standby current draw that will drain the battery if it sits for 10-20 days. This is exacerbated if the car also gets driven on infrequent and very short trips and doesn't have time to recharge the battery.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Damn the loaded trailer makes the ass end of the crown vic sag a bit. Not too bad I think, the wheels aren't buried in the wells or anything, just going to have to take it slow.

Too much weight over the hitch - move something heavy back over the axle.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Too much weight over the hitch - move something heavy back over the axle.

I had the tongue weight correct. Once I got driving it was fine. I forgot when I swapped out the axle a couple years ago it came with regular shocks, and not the heavy duty commercial varients that were on it.

I will say it towed quite well when I got going. Even over some exceptionally shitty roads. Only had to turn off overdrive a few times over some big hills.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    2mehsk4asz7l.png

It's always entertaining when manufacturers stir each other up

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lol, BMW owners don't use their mirrors.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

And Audi owners do? :P

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Now that we own one I understand why: they're awful. Seriously, our 535d mirrors have maybe a third of the coverage our Odyssey, crv, Forester, c30 or 9-2x did.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Doubletake makes some pretty excellent aftermarket mirrors that are universal but seem to be especially popular with the BMW overland adventure guys

Wait wrong format of BMW

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I went on a manual drive lesson with my dad in his M3.

It's still a lot of fun. I stalled on a hill stop sign.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-bmw-z4-roadster-30i-m40i

Z4 starting at $50K

Does this mean the Supra may actually come in starting in the 40s?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Have new non-Miata/GT86 small sports cars always been so expensive, or was I just terrible at paying attention?

brb looking up Honda S2000 prices adjusted for inflation

Edit: ok the S2000 was around 40k USD adjusted

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Sports cars have always been expensive.

Adjusted for inflation, cars today are almost identically priced to cars 20 years ago, while being vastly improved in every metric.

• Options
    Except the ability to do DIY jobs without a degree in electrical engineering and dedicated personal garage, am I right?

*rimshot*
    I'm mostly joking but also gosh some new cars are pretty intimidingly engineered when it comes to how tightly packed the engine bay is

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I just found out that first gen Dodge Vipers are going for 20-30k and fuuuuuuuuck did I have a hard on for that car when I was in high school. There's absolutely no way to justify buying one now but man, if I had the money...

• Options
    Took the yfz450 out on the dunes for a ride today and it ran like a charm. It does not like to putt around though. It wants to go fast! I gotta lose some weight cuz I cant ride it to it's capabilities.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    On the suggestion of my mechanic I brought my GTI to the dealership to see if the rust spots on my rocker panels, door jams, and bottom of the drive side doors qualify for VW's corrosion warranty. The rocker panels and door jams (by luck of being part of the same body panel) will be repaired at no cost to me thanks to a technical service bulletin. Unfortunately, the rust on the bottom edge of the doors didn't meet VW's requirements, and the dealership quoted me $1340 to fix the rust on both front and rear doors. That's a lot more than I was expecting and I'm tempted to try and get some estimates from one or two other body shops. Getting the rust repaired is worth it since I live in Upstate NY, and between the winters and salt here it's only going to get worse. The car will be paid off next May and I'd like to keep the car for at least three more years, and likely within that time frame I'll have to replace the timing chain which will run around $1400. Probably the brake rotors and pads too in the next year or two.

If anyone has experience with rust repair I can post pictures, but it's a few small spots of rust on the bottom edges and upper edge across from the door handle.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Regular brain: Hm, when I get back to the US in approximately ten months I should probably get like, a second-gen Forester with a 5 speed and a fair number of miles on it, since those things are fantastic

Galaxy brain: Maybe I'll just buy back my old Leone...

Cosmic brain: oh hey think about how many bikes are on Craigslist! '93 near-stock Harley FXR for $4k anyone?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So I own a 2018 Kia Optima now.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

One thing I have to say for current-gen Kias and Hyundais is that they have the best in car infotainment system. Just super well done.

Volvo is close with their latest, and Tesla is fun if a bit impractical and unwieldy (maybe it gets better with daily use), but Kia/Hyundai just have the best balance of nice looking and easy to use.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    First time I've ever owned a brand new car. It's weird to see 72 miles. I keep thinking it's the trip mileage

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    my '17 kia forte has the more basic system, not the one with like... android auto support and a backup camera and stuff which would have been nice but expensive. but yeah its still really really nice and easy to use.

It has voice support to like mama Bluetooth calls, but the name recognition kinda stinks sometimes. I will say call mom, and since I have two numbers in there with mom in the name I have to wait like 30 seconds to say one for mom instead of two for mom's house or just press one of the buttons which defeats the purpose.

Oh the worst one is calling Chris, I also have a friend named Kristen you see.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    First time I've ever owned a brand new car. It's weird to see 72 miles. I keep thinking it's the trip mileage

do you have the real time mpg estimate thing on your instrument panel? on the highways mine will go up to like 40mpg and seems pretty accurate. on the city streets it seems less useful.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

do you have the real time mpg estimate thing on your instrument panel? on the highways mine will go up to like 40mpg and seems pretty accurate. on the city streets it seems less useful.

Yeah. Maxes out at 50. I'm averaging 38 currently.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    my '17 kia forte has the more basic system, not the one with like... android auto support and a backup camera and stuff which would have been nice but expensive. but yeah its still really really nice and easy to use.

It has voice support to like mama Bluetooth calls, but the name recognition kinda stinks sometimes. I will say call mom, and since I have two numbers in there with mom in the name I have to wait like 30 seconds to say one for mom instead of two for mom's house or just press one of the buttons which defeats the purpose.

Oh the worst one is calling Chris, I also have a friend named Kristen you see.

Have you tried saying "call mom at home" or "call mom on mobile?" My system is super old but recognizes those phrases and usually dials the right number for me.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

One thing I have to say for current-gen Kias and Hyundais is that they have the best in car infotainment system. Just super well done.

Volvo is close with their latest, and Tesla is fun if a bit impractical and unwieldy (maybe it gets better with daily use), but Kia/Hyundai just have the best balance of nice looking and easy to use.

I like Subaru's a lot, I haven't seen Kia or Hyundai's. I will say Honda's is super underwhelming. It's like the #1 thing keeping me from getting a new civic.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I like Subaru's a lot, I haven't seen Kia or Hyundai's. I will say Honda's is super underwhelming. It's like the #1 thing keeping me from getting a new civic.

My dad got a lease on a Clarity because he got sick of Priuses (Priuii?). It's really nice to drive, great gas millage, but the infotainment is crappy. The all touch-pad controls even for the volume slider is poor design

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My 2016 Hyundai Elantra GT doesn't have a touchscreen but it does apparently have voice commands, I never use them. I had UConnect in my Dodge Dart and I thought it was a good system, but after going back to an old fashioned radio (well, old fashioned with bluetooth and XM radio) I really don't want to go back to a touchscreen. I guess I can never buy a new car again!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

My dad got a lease on a Clarity because he got sick of Priuses (Priuii?). It's really nice to drive, great gas millage, but the infotainment is crappy. The all touch-pad controls even for the volume slider is poor design

Volume sliders are stupid. The volume knob is a perfect design. Don't mess with it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Volume sliders are stupid. The volume knob is a perfect design. Don't mess with it.

I had a loaner hrv with no radio knobs this week. Such an awful experience.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love touchscreen but nothing beats the physical contact and heptic feedback of a knob.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Unless it's the knobs in the 86s stock headset. There's no definition to them and they're pretty stiff so it's tough to accurately get a handle on what you're doing with them as they're pretty shallow, too

It's almost at the point that I'm considering sticking some sugru on them to apply some grip ridges

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Got the danger Ranger back on the road today. New brake lines from the ABS block back, new wheel cylinders on the rear, brakes are feeling pretty good.

Got it home after a long drive, popped the hood, found the coolant tank bubbling and overflowing. Pretty sure the head gasket is shot.

Back to the garage, FML

• Options
    Ouch. Is that the 2.3 Ecoboost motor? Are you having "hEaDgASkEt" issues?

• Options
    y5d1r5wpkvks.jpg
    soqzvxov1xqz.jpg

Mah whip

• Options
    Ouch. Is that the 2.3 Ecoboost motor? Are you having "hEaDgASkEt" issues?

Nah this thing's ancient. 2.5L "Lima" 4 cylinder, derived from the old 2.3 in the Ford Pinto.

This discussion has been closed.