As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Ouch. Is that the 2.3 Ecoboost motor? Are you having "hEaDgASkEt" issues?

Nah this thing's ancient. 2.5L "Lima" 4 cylinder, derived from the old 2.3 in the Ford Pinto.

Good, they respond pretty well to some light forced induction - get that headgasket fixed and slap a blower on it!

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular

Nah this thing's ancient. 2.5L "Lima" 4 cylinder, derived from the old 2.3 in the Ford Pinto.

Good, they respond pretty well to some light forced induction - get that headgasket fixed and slap a blower on it!

Buddy and I have talked about it, lol. Mustang SVOs, Thunderbirds, and Merkur XR4TIs all used a turbo 2.3 Lima from the factory. Cost and effort doesn't seem worth it for a beater truck, though it would be hilarious.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Buddy and I have talked about it, lol. Mustang SVOs, Thunderbirds, and Merkur XR4TIs all used a turbo 2.3 Lima from the factory. Cost and effort doesn't seem worth it for a beater truck, though it would be hilarious.

The blower off a 3.8 Buick V6 in a wrecking yard would be plenty big enough to push ~5 psi into it, just to really pump up the torque down low - I'm not trying to convince you to build a 500 horsepower sleeper, just to help the truck work harder.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Vacation is over and now the Crown Vic and ATVs are dropped off with my bro to get detailed. Looking forward to some shine and a nice sealant against the coming rains.

5ts9gk0kpbhs.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    So I own a 2018 Kia Optima now.

One thing I have to say for current-gen Kias and Hyundais is that they have the best in car infotainment system. Just super well done.

Volvo is close with their latest, and Tesla is fun if a bit impractical and unwieldy (maybe it gets better with daily use), but Kia/Hyundai just have the best balance of nice looking and easy to use.

I like Subaru's a lot, I haven't seen Kia or Hyundai's. I will say Honda's is super underwhelming. It's like the #1 thing keeping me from getting a new civic.

My dad got a lease on a Clarity because he got sick of Priuses (Priuii?). It's really nice to drive, great gas millage, but the infotainment is crappy. The all touch-pad controls even for the volume slider is poor design

Yeah, this is (I think) the 9th Gen Honda system. The G10 system on the 18+ Odyssey, 18+ Accord, 19+ Pilot all have the volume knob back. Basically everyone will get it back for their next interior refresh.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    What do you guys think of Dodge Chargers? Good/Bad? Specifically with the 5.7L or 6.4L V8.

For some reason I am tempted by them.

• Options
    They are built off an old platform, so technology and performance wise they aren't the latest and greatest. The flip side is that the bugs have been worked out and my understanding is that they are pretty reliable with a large spare parts base as long as you don't get one of the crazy editions.

There should be deals to be had, especially if you're willing to go back a model year or two.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The Charger is a solid car. Early models had bad interiors but anything after like 2014 is fairly nice. The LX platform is pretty old now but it's still a good platform and any reliability problems have long since been ironed out. The Charger is definitely among the higher quality cars made by FCA, at least in terms of general reliability and build quality.

The Hemi V8s are likewise very reliable and I personally love their sound. It seems like they changed the exhaust on the 5.7L R/Ts recently because the 2018 Challenger I rented earlier this year was very loud. They also feel faster than they really are thanks to torque, a big weight transfer to the rear, and that V8 roar.

The bad is just the stuff that comes with owning a large, RWD, V8 powered sedan. Fuel economy is OK, handling is OK, they're light on brakes for spirited driving.

• Options
    Chrysler has done a decent job of adding newer stuff where they can, too. Like in 2015 they switched to an 8-speed auto, the cars have the latest version of UConnect, you can get stuff like radar cruise.

The cars are big and the engines simple but they're no slouches in a straight line. The 5.7L with an 8-speed hits 60mph in 5.2s, the 6.4L does it in 4.2s.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    What do you guys think of Dodge Chargers? Good/Bad? Specifically with the 5.7L or 6.4L V8.

For some reason I am tempted by them.

If you like V8 muscle sedans, it's pretty much the only game in town anywhere near its price point. I test drove one a couple of years ago and liked it well enough. Good power, okay interior, bad rear visibility. Reliability should be pretty solid at this point, the Hemis are built pretty stout.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I'm getting this itch for a new (to me) vehicle. Right now I've got a 2013 Scion FRS. I like the car, its really fun to drive. But the lack of space in the thing is getting to me, and I'd like something with more power (*modding the car's engine is not an option for me). These are reasons that the Charger appeals to me.

Of course, pickup trucks also appeal to me.... but for some reason I think I would prefer a sedan. I took a very brief look at Ford's website for F150s and I was completely overwhelmed by all the options. There are too many fucking options.

*edit

Al_wat on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm getting this itch for a new (to me) vehicle. Right now I've got a 2013 Scion FRS. I like the car, its really fun to drive. But the lack of space in the thing is getting to me, and I'd like something with more power (*modding the car's engine is not an option for me). These are reasons that the Charger appeals to me.

Of course, pickup trucks also appeal to me.... but for some reason I think I would prefer a sedan. I took a very brief look at Ford's website for F150s and I was completely overwhelmed by all the options. There are too many fucking options.

*edit

I'm feeling the itch too. My Mazda3 is 8 yrs old now and still runs well but I want something new (to me). I don't have the budget for anything luxury (3 Series or A4) unless I buy used and I don't know what to look for in a used BMW or Audi, plus I'd like to have a warranty with babby on the way. I love the utility of my hatchback and its MT, so I'm leaning towards a GTI but I also really like not having a car payment right now. Probably going to hold off another year or two and see how things shake out, but it's fun to research and lust after automobiles :)

• Options
    I am definitely feeling the "no car payment" thing right now, but I could afford something in the 60-70k range.

Now SHOULD I? Probably not.

But I could.

So I should.

SHOULDN'T

SHUT UP BRAIN

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I've been daydreaming about importing an Evo IV because I am a crazy person.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    There is a BMW-specific shop/dealership that deals exclusively in enthusiast-level bimmers (like 90+% M-cars) but they have a 2011 328xi manual wagon in bluewater metallic with saddle brown leather. It's in pristine shape and has 66k miles on the clock. It's also 30 grand and I'm not paying that much for a used car despite it ticking every single goddamn box on my wishlist. :(

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The phrase "muscle sedan" makes me super bummed out, I'm not totally sure why.

I'm thinking my brain still has lingering teenage thoughts where if a fast car wasn't loud and dirty and trying to kill you then it wasn't worth having.

• Options
    I am definitely feeling the "no car payment" thing right now, but I could afford something in the 60-70k range.

Now SHOULD I? Probably not.

But I could.

So I should.

SHOULDN'T

SHUT UP BRAIN

I just looked up new/used Chargers in the Toronto area to see what prices are like.

God, Canada, why are your cars so expensive?

Toronto Chrysler Dodge Jeep has one new Charger in stock, a GT (V6 + AWD) and it's CAD$47,000.

That money (in USD) will get you a brand new Charger SRT 392 here in the US.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Yeah according to Dodge's website, a Charger SRT 392 with no selected extra options would run $67,507 Cdn, including taxes

Its not cheap

Al_wat on
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    The Charger is a call bullies love to drive, so it's perfect for you <3

Just get a Subaru Baja so you get a truck and sedan in one package!!!

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Well I already have homer simpson's job, I might as well drive a car that looks like the one he designed

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Call it the Baja Blast if you decide to get one!!!

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    I will pronounce it with a hard english speaking J

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I think if I was going to spend roughly $60k US on a new car it would be a mustang GT 350 with the flat plane v8. That would be a whole lot of fun for the money.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    In the US it seems like Dodge has really aggressive lease offers. Like you can get a Hellcat Challenger for $457/mo. Almost all of the nicer R/T trims are $262/mo.

• Options
    If you gotta get a Dodge, the 6.4 litre motor is the one to go for.
    What are Camaro prices like, comparatively?

• Options
    If you gotta get a Dodge, the 6.4 litre motor is the one to go for.
    What are Camaro prices like, comparatively?

Looks like $50-60K CAD for a new Camaro SS.

• Options

*edit

If modding the car's engine is not an option, how about replacing it? An LS3 would liven things up a bit, and there are multiple kits out there to facilitate the process.

• Options
    Being an adult fucking sucks.

I've been going over my budget for a month or two trying to find things to cut, but the harsh reality is that the SS just costs too much money to be sustainable. I got a great deal, a great interest rate, and I'm well above water on it; the combined payment/insurance/gas bill is just too much for me to keep up with while trying to achieve my other financial goals. Throwing some cheapish new summer tires on it since the factory ones are dead, and then putting it up for sale early next week.

I'm bummed, this is by far one of the best cars I've ever had the opportunity to drive, let alone own. I hope I get the chance to get back in one in a few years.

• Options
    Man, left over new Buick Regal GS are getting crazy mark-downs now that the new ones are hitting dealer lots. Tons of cars in SoCal with $35k+ sticker prices dropped to $25k. The old Regal GS wasn't very attractive at sticker but with that kind of discount it seems like a lot of car for the money.

• Options
    Being an adult fucking sucks.

I've been going over my budget for a month or two trying to find things to cut, but the harsh reality is that the SS just costs too much money to be sustainable. I got a great deal, a great interest rate, and I'm well above water on it; the combined payment/insurance/gas bill is just too much for me to keep up with while trying to achieve my other financial goals. Throwing some cheapish new summer tires on it since the factory ones are dead, and then putting it up for sale early next week.

I'm bummed, this is by far one of the best cars I've ever had the opportunity to drive, let alone own. I hope I get the chance to get back in one in a few years.

Sell something else.

• Options
    I saw a Bugatti Chiron on the street today, driving in West LA. At relatively low load it kinda sounds like Satan's small-block Chevy V8.

• Options
    Hmmmm i found a new 2018 charger SRT 392 for sale at a dealership $6,000 lower than MSRP. Has a few bells and whistles like a sunroof.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

• Options
    You know. I talked to my dad about it and he raised a good point - that the Mustang "Bullitt" looks really awesome and I should consider that. The price is comparable. It is a good bit more than the Mustang GT though, but has more power and comes standard with a lot of things that are extra on the GT.

And it comes with a manual transmission.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    You know. I talked to my dad about it and he raised a good point - that the Mustang "Bullitt" looks really awesome and I should consider that. The price is comparable. It is a good bit more than the Mustang GT though, but has more power and comes standard with a lot of things that are extra on the GT.

And it comes with a manual transmission.

In reading most of the reviews, it's only worth it if you really like green. Otherwise get a gt with the performance pack as you can easily surpass the power with bolt on baubles and while bullitts likely won't get discounted, gts will.
    Honestly in this class a lightly used 15-17 is probably the best deal, as you can mod or adjust as needed and it looks better than the 18.

• Options
    You raise good points.

Also I need to think about this when I am not still awake after a 12h night shift. I make poor decisions in this state of mind.

Or: the best decisions.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    The '18 has a significantly upgraded engine, though. Aussie performance workshops are seeing big power increases in the new model. Well over 50 hp at the wheels, stock for stock.

Edit: Also, as a special edition, the Bullitt is always going to be worth a little more, especially in a few decades time.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    that green is a really sweet colour though, you can't deny

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Honestly if you're not planning on extensive tracking, just go with the one that feels best. If charger etc., Lease as they're highly subsidized.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    For me, the Bullitt is very aesthetically pleasing, as I'm very minimalist about the exterior of my cars. Hell, I'd even rather not have the little bit of chrome it has and definitely not the big crosshair thing on the trunk. But I've already got a dark green Mustang GT, so all I have to do is black out my chrome and I'm good to go, lol.

• Options
    According to a NHTSA filing, it looks like Hyundai is bringing the Elantra GT (i30) N-Line to the USA but still no word on the full-fat N. The i30 N-Line gets more aggressive bodywork with dual exhaust, sport seats, aluminum pedals, leather steering wheel, bigger brakes, revised suspension and engine tuning, and exclusive wheels with Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Like, I'll take it, but c'mon Hyundai, just give us the real deal!

This discussion has been closed.