Options

Pather Panchali [Chat]

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Kvothe fucks up all the time and fails all the time and isn't actually the best at most things at the University. His natural talents almost always lead to painful hubris. I see where it comes from, but I think the Mary Sue/wish fulfillment critique is shallow and cherry-picked and kind of ignores the very premise of the story framework.

We tease because we love.

Edit: I devoured those first two books- they're great! But there are some eye-roll-y bits.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Someone go do my grocery shopping for me.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_ol5yxuPKqu1rs43gdo1_400.jpg

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Someone go do my grocery shopping for me.

okej.

I don't know swedish so I just bought 50 bottles of ketchup.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Great review scored for horizon zero dawn coming in

Great combat and graphics but underwhelming writing and shallow world-building, is what I've gleaned from the three I've read today.

that's a shame, because it was one of those games that could make super interested in the world with just ten seconds of showing it to me, which is rare

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Kvothe fucks up all the time and fails all the time and isn't actually the best at most things at the University. His natural talents almost always lead to painful hubris. I see where it comes from, but I think the Mary Sue/wish fulfillment critique is shallow and cherry-picked and kind of ignores the very premise of the story framework.

I only read/listened to the first book but it's a very well written book/series from what I can see. There's a little bit of wish fulfillment but it doesn't go outside the bounds of the structure of the story (even if it's a bit on the nose in a few cases) and actually tends to follow the old rule of "be careful what you wish for" cause it almost always turns out badly in the long run.

It's got fantastic prose, I love it's pacing and I love the style of writing. Even the cringey bits can't be claimed to be badly written.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    he fucks up by challenging bad men who are more powerful than himself, always unjustly, and then gets his face pushed in, but only in ways that win him the respect of his peers and recognition of wise elders

this is the same category of "flaw" as being clumsy and indecisive about suitors is for a YA fantasy targeted at girls

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Six wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    I am a man who got 1000/1000 in Dark Souls achievements and who found every blood diamond in Far Cry 2. I ground out multiplayer achievements in Stranglehold.

No achievement was too tedious or too difficult to unlock.

I think I was always that kind of person, but achievements made it far worse. I did more than one run through of FFVII to FFXII following the guide and getting every materia/card/bounty/etc even when the rewards were essentially zip. I like seeing everything a game has to offer, and completism pushes me to catch 'em all, whether they were flags, diamonds or eco cannisters. Never Pokemon, though. They should roam free.

Did you ever get Excalibur 2 in IX?

*googles*
    Requirements
    FF9 Excalibur II
    Excalibur II's location in Memoria.
    Excalibur II is one of the hardest weapons to obtain in the entire Final Fantasy series, as it cannot be bought from a shop or dropped or stolen from any monster. The only way the player can obtain the Excalibur II is to make it to the final dungeon, Memoria, into the room Gate to Space (where the party fights Lich) without exceeding 12 hours of playtime. Once Lich is defeated, the player must search the pillar on the right of the room to receive the sword. A message is left near the sword for Gilgamesh, written by Enkido, which reads:

To Brother Gil - Bro, I found the sword, like you told me. But there were two. One of 'em had a lame name, Something II. It was a dingy, old thing with flashy decorations, something you'd probably like. So I went with Excalipur. I'll be back after I find the Tin Armor.
    —Enkido

This... this is might be the dumbest thing I have ever encountered in Final Fantasy

Basically every final weapon in FFX was harder to get

Not all of them. The lightning one was more annoying than anything. (Those were the final weapons, right?)

Blitzball was just a grind.

But hey, I just got to remember the Chocobo race this morning! So now my day is ruined.

The lightning one was awful. How many strikes did you have to avoid? 100? 1000?

And didn't you have to do three absurd challenges for each weapon?

It's been so long that I don't really remember, honestly. I just remember whatever the final thing was for a few of them.

I don't remember how many but I think but you could just kind of zone out and get it once you got the pattern down.

The chocobo race I remember being just absurdly finicky and arbitrary.

Tidus: Beat the chocobo race in UNDER 0:0
    Wakka: Bliztball until it's the tournament prize.
    Yuna: Beat the summon fights at the ruined temple.
    Kilmarhi: Butterfly race, because sure why not.
    Auron: Capture one of each enemy from 10 different areas.
    Lulu: Dodge lightening 200 times.
    Rikku: Cactuar minigame in the desert.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Oh god, the butterflies

• Options
    I am a man who got 1000/1000 in Dark Souls achievements and who found every blood diamond in Far Cry 2. I ground out multiplayer achievements in Stranglehold.

I think I was always that kind of person, but achievements made it far worse. I did more than one run through of FFVII to FFXII following the guide and getting every materia/card/bounty/etc even when the rewards were essentially zip. I like seeing everything a game has to offer, and completism pushes me to catch 'em all, whether they were flags, diamonds or eco cannisters. Never Pokemon, though. They should roam free.

*googles*
    Requirements
    FF9 Excalibur II
    Excalibur II is one of the hardest weapons to obtain in the entire Final Fantasy series, as it cannot be bought from a shop or dropped or stolen from any monster. The only way the player can obtain the Excalibur II is to make it to the final dungeon, Memoria, into the room Gate to Space (where the party fights Lich) without exceeding 12 hours of playtime. Once Lich is defeated, the player must search the pillar on the right of the room to receive the sword. A message is left near the sword for Gilgamesh, written by Enkido, which reads:

To Brother Gil - Bro, I found the sword, like you told me. But there were two. One of 'em had a lame name, Something II. It was a dingy, old thing with flashy decorations, something you'd probably like. So I went with Excalipur. I'll be back after I find the Tin Armor.
    —Enkido

This... this is might be the dumbest thing I have ever encountered in Final Fantasy

Not all of them. The lightning one was more annoying than anything. (Those were the final weapons, right?)

But hey, I just got to remember the Chocobo race this morning! So now my day is ruined.

It's been so long that I don't really remember, honestly. I just remember whatever the final thing was for a few of them.

I don't remember how many but I think but you could just kind of zone out and get it once you got the pattern down.

I said the other day about thinking that the FF writing team could make something quite decent with enough flogging to keep them in line

I see it applies even more so to the game designers

I mean like, somebody ought to lose a hand for each of these

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    I only had to look up Auron's. I wish my brain could be better about storing useful information.

• Options
    in some way that has a meta-justification because it's kvothe talking about himself, really, do you trust the narrator here

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Speaking of FF weapons, I'm working on my Astrologian anima relic weapon in FFXIV.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    ronya wrote: »
    in some way that has a meta-justification because it's kvothe talking about himself, really, do you trust the narrator here

I've got it! "Quoth" is really Bella Swan after having some LSD.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Great combat and graphics but underwhelming writing and shallow world-building, is what I've gleaned from the three I've read today.

that's a shame, because it was one of those games that could make super interested in the world with just ten seconds of showing it to me, which is rare

Those reviews might be over-egging it or unrepresentative (Guardian, Polygon and Eurogamer), though, I'm not saying it's the final word of judgement or anything. Most review outlets seem more complimentary, judging from MetaCritic, and Polygon's was almost entirely positive.

• Options
    FFXIV: Heavensward has a really great main story. Great improvement in storytelling over the vanilla game's story.

Though it's kind of silly how the Garlean Empire, the big bad in ARR, is pretty much entirely ignored in HW apart from some token appearances to remind us that they still exist.

• Options

Those reviews might be over-egging it or unrepresentative (Guardian, Polygon and Eurogamer), though, I'm not saying it's the final word of judgement or anything. Most review outlets seem more complimentary, judging from MetaCritic, and Polygon's was almost entirely positive.

yeah but most reviewers are terrible

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

*googles*
    Requirements
    FF9 Excalibur II

—Enkido

I said the other day about thinking that the FF writing team could make something quite decent with enough flogging to keep them in line

I think some of them make sense because they're the logical conclusion to one aspect of the game. Beating Blitzball? That makes sense-take that part of the game and go as far as you can with it.

Capturing lots of different enemies? Makes sense. You want this weapon, go explore everywhere and catch every enemy.

The chocobo race was dumb. Even if you were really good at it, the race was so arbitrary that it was basically luck.

Dodging 200 lightning bolts was just dumb. There's no point to getting good at that other than for the weapon.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i just briefly considered paying for an mmo
    *cuts off hands as preventive measure*

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »

but what if you bought an addams family themed pet mtx

what then

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I really wish everything wasnt closed today

Its Family Day here in Ontario.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

You can cut off your hands, but you can never cut out the sick heart that considered such filth.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    good news everyone, i don't have an abscess in my throat

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

You can cut off your hands, but you can never cut out the sick heart that considered such filth.

Not with that attitude, you can't.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    they stuck a camera down my nose to look into my throat

i feel like my mouth woulda been easier but whatever you're into docs

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

I mean, both seem miles ahead of sticking it up your ass and going the long way around

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

I mean, both seem miles ahead of sticking it up your ass and going the long way around

Typical millennial, taking the easy way out.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

He can, but only once.

• Options
    read the eurogamer review - I like their reviews, I feel they're often written in a way where I get a decent sense of what the game is like, not just what one person thought of it

it's enough for me to want this game

I mean honestly the only critique that could have dissuaded me is "the teaser trailer is a lie this game is frustrating hollow shambling mess that somebody should go to prison for"

skimming metacritic reviews, it seems everyone agrees that there's not that much to the story or the writing (with that having greatly varying impacts on the score, since of course some people don't care while for others it makes everything else fall flat)

shame, because I knew right away that I could very easily be interested in learning about that world, but as far as I can see, not a single reviewer thinks it plays badly

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Typical millennial, taking the easy way out.

I ask them to go in through my pupils.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I've been thoroughly uninterested in Mass Effect: Andromeda, but if the multiplayer is good I might pick it up.

• Options

*googles*
    Requirements
    FF9 Excalibur II

—Enkido

I think some of them make sense because they're the logical conclusion to one aspect of the game. Beating Blitzball? That makes sense-take that part of the game and go as far as you can with it.

Capturing lots of different enemies? Makes sense. You want this weapon, go explore everywhere and catch every enemy.

The chocobo race was dumb. Even if you were really good at it, the race was so arbitrary that it was basically luck.

Dodging 200 lightning bolts was just dumb. There's no point to getting good at that other than for the weapon.

Okay

Someone explain to me the draw of the later final fantasy games because I don't get it

Is the world just divided into Squeenix People and Non-Squeenix People

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I've been thoroughly uninterested in Mass Effect: Andromeda, but if the multiplayer is good I might pick it up.

I wish it were more Star Trek: Picard than Star Trek: Whatever the fuck Modern Movie Shit

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    desc wrote: »

*googles*
    Requirements
    FF9 Excalibur II

—Enkido

Okay

Someone explain to me the draw of the later final fantasy games because I don't get it

They are JRPG's people like them, that's all there is to it.

• Options
    I've never played that game and all I know about it is "lightning bolts" that everyone mentions grinding out the hundreds of dodges for even though it was optional

• Options
    the reviews I'm reading now range from "great combat, fantastic visuals, could be more to the story and characters but whatever, 100/100" to "combat and graphics are good, but with story and writing being sorta weak I'm not given any reason to care so it falls flat 50/100"

oh and that the gameplay is also going to be very familiar to anyone who has played one of the one billion ubisoft-style sandboxes that's come out in the past few years, in either a good or bad way, depending on the person

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    FF X HD is the second FF I've ever played, after getting FF VII when it came out on steam.

It was pretty disappointing, much like FF VII. And I'm a big fan of RPGs.

I took one look at those ultimate weapon requirements and decided screw the sidequests I'm just going to finish the story.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    desc wrote: »
    Okay

The draw of every Final Fantasy game is the good times you remember having with whatever FF game was out when you were younger.

Also all that ultimate weapon nonsense is only ever of interest to completists. You don't need to collect them and can just ignore all the grindy rubbish and barrel through the story to the end. Mostly, anyway. Some games probably require a bit of grinding, but since I'm a completist I am usually over-levelled by the time I get to the end.

Also they're usually beautiful to look at and really, really long.

• Options
    Rami wrote: »
    FF X HD is the second FF I've ever played, after getting FF VII when it came out on steam.

It was pretty disappointing, much like FF VII. And I'm a big fan of RPGs.

I took one look at those ultimate weapon requirements and decided screw the sidequests I'm just going to finish the story.

Wait what RPG's do you like then?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/open-nars/axJ4x3iPOuc
    News:
    Reasoner:
    Temporal inference control by event bag.
    Improved Anticipation handling as mostly discussed.
    Fixed and improved query variable question handling.
    Fixed some inference bugs.
    Concepts using precondition / consequence info for potential faster decisions when a goal enters.
    "Macroscopic Scale" News:
    Ability to find useful patterns in masses of events.
    Ability to learn and use procedural knowledge much more effectively.
    Faster max. inference speed compared to v1.6.4.
    GUI:
    Lense-inspired additions, like filtering concept graph and output.
    Consistent Red/Blue (Pos/Neg evidence) color-coding.
    Concept window (opened by clicking on a sentence in output log) for showing and filtering tasklinks etc.
    Programmed Examples:
    Pong, Microworld, Test Chamber, and the new NLP GUI.
    Source-Code:
    Removed unnecessary stuff from nars_core, it is nearly concise as the 1.5.x code now again.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Z4Yige07tBcW5UMFdwVWhUc3c

Best regards,
    Patrick

1.6.5 has been released, improved with lessons learned in our 2.0.1 version/diversion.

You should all try it out.

This discussion has been closed.