Options

Pather Panchali [Chat]

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    he fucks up by challenging bad men who are more powerful than himself, always unjustly, and then gets his face pushed in, but only in ways that win him the respect of his peers and recognition of wise elders

this is the same category of "flaw" as being clumsy and indecisive about suitors is for a YA fantasy targeted at girls

Eh

You're still pretty early on in the story for me to throw out counter-examples, but heaven forbid the hero in a story about The Story of a Hero display some exceptional qualities or do some heroic stuff sometimes.

I'm admittedly kind of sensitive to this because it's a story that I like and even though it seems generally well-regarded, this particular criticism seems like the only thing anyone ever talks about and I don't think it's a fairly applied one.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    desc wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I am a man who got 1000/1000 in Dark Souls achievements and who found every blood diamond in Far Cry 2. I ground out multiplayer achievements in Stranglehold.

No achievement was too tedious or too difficult to unlock.

I think I was always that kind of person, but achievements made it far worse. I did more than one run through of FFVII to FFXII following the guide and getting every materia/card/bounty/etc even when the rewards were essentially zip. I like seeing everything a game has to offer, and completism pushes me to catch 'em all, whether they were flags, diamonds or eco cannisters. Never Pokemon, though. They should roam free.

Did you ever get Excalibur 2 in IX?

*googles*
    Requirements
    FF9 Excalibur II
    Excalibur II's location in Memoria.
    Excalibur II is one of the hardest weapons to obtain in the entire Final Fantasy series, as it cannot be bought from a shop or dropped or stolen from any monster. The only way the player can obtain the Excalibur II is to make it to the final dungeon, Memoria, into the room Gate to Space (where the party fights Lich) without exceeding 12 hours of playtime. Once Lich is defeated, the player must search the pillar on the right of the room to receive the sword. A message is left near the sword for Gilgamesh, written by Enkido, which reads:

To Brother Gil - Bro, I found the sword, like you told me. But there were two. One of 'em had a lame name, Something II. It was a dingy, old thing with flashy decorations, something you'd probably like. So I went with Excalipur. I'll be back after I find the Tin Armor.
    —Enkido

This... this is might be the dumbest thing I have ever encountered in Final Fantasy

Basically every final weapon in FFX was harder to get

Not all of them. The lightning one was more annoying than anything. (Those were the final weapons, right?)

Blitzball was just a grind.

But hey, I just got to remember the Chocobo race this morning! So now my day is ruined.

The lightning one was awful. How many strikes did you have to avoid? 100? 1000?

And didn't you have to do three absurd challenges for each weapon?

It's been so long that I don't really remember, honestly. I just remember whatever the final thing was for a few of them.

I don't remember how many but I think but you could just kind of zone out and get it once you got the pattern down.

The chocobo race I remember being just absurdly finicky and arbitrary.

Tidus: Beat the chocobo race in UNDER 0:0
    Wakka: Bliztball until it's the tournament prize.
    Yuna: Beat the summon fights at the ruined temple.
    Kilmarhi: Butterfly race, because sure why not.
    Auron: Capture one of each enemy from 10 different areas.
    Lulu: Dodge lightening 200 times.
    Rikku: Cactuar minigame in the desert.

I said the other day about thinking that the FF writing team could make something quite decent with enough flogging to keep them in line

I see it applies even more so to the game designers

I mean like, somebody ought to lose a hand for each of these

I think some of them make sense because they're the logical conclusion to one aspect of the game. Beating Blitzball? That makes sense-take that part of the game and go as far as you can with it.

Capturing lots of different enemies? Makes sense. You want this weapon, go explore everywhere and catch every enemy.

The chocobo race was dumb. Even if you were really good at it, the race was so arbitrary that it was basically luck.

Dodging 200 lightning bolts was just dumb. There's no point to getting good at that other than for the weapon.

Okay

Someone explain to me the draw of the later final fantasy games because I don't get it

Is the world just divided into Squeenix People and Non-Squeenix People

as someone who violently hates so much of the stuff in final fantasy games, and will get angry, confused and afraid if confronted with people who genuinely love those elements, and bought and is playing his first final fantasy game just now, the draw is that they're gorgeous and weird

zoGJ3Qu.jpg

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    FF X HD is the second FF I've ever played, after getting FF VII when it came out on steam.

It was pretty disappointing, much like FF VII. And I'm a big fan of RPGs.

I took one look at those ultimate weapon requirements and decided screw the sidequests I'm just going to finish the story.

i mean, I don't know your tastes in games, but sounds like you don't really like jRPGs and prefer wRPGs?

I mean, that's fine, but yeah, most jRPGs will probably disappoint you.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    FFVI is the best VI

I mean best FF

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I need to remove the following words/phrases from my vocabulary permanently:
    • Like,
    • I mean,
    • I don't know,
    • daffodil
    • , but yeah,
    • kill me / i want to die
    Anyone wanna make me a shock collar that detects when i type those words? :razz:

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Echo wrote: »
    FFVI is the best VI

I mean best FF

Echo you are a mod of G&T I wouldn't bring that "discussion" on to your house why would you bring it to ours?

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I've been thoroughly uninterested in Mass Effect: Andromeda, but if the multiplayer is good I might pick it up.

I am going to pick it up pretty sharpish, I think. If the reviews are damning then I guess I'll avoid it, but honestly I love the ME gameplay cycle of run/gun/cover/biotic charge/amusing tough guy conversation with teammate.

Now I look back on the last generation of console games and feel like I'm basically done with it ME2 still sticks out as the best time I had, narrowly pipping Dark Souls.

• Options
    FFVI is the best VI

I mean best FF

I think it can claim both titles. Is there a better VI anywhere?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    I am a man who got 1000/1000 in Dark Souls achievements and who found every blood diamond in Far Cry 2. I ground out multiplayer achievements in Stranglehold.

No achievement was too tedious or too difficult to unlock.

I think I was always that kind of person, but achievements made it far worse. I did more than one run through of FFVII to FFXII following the guide and getting every materia/card/bounty/etc even when the rewards were essentially zip. I like seeing everything a game has to offer, and completism pushes me to catch 'em all, whether they were flags, diamonds or eco cannisters. Never Pokemon, though. They should roam free.

Did you ever get Excalibur 2 in IX?

*googles*
    Requirements
    FF9 Excalibur II
    Excalibur II's location in Memoria.
    Excalibur II is one of the hardest weapons to obtain in the entire Final Fantasy series, as it cannot be bought from a shop or dropped or stolen from any monster. The only way the player can obtain the Excalibur II is to make it to the final dungeon, Memoria, into the room Gate to Space (where the party fights Lich) without exceeding 12 hours of playtime. Once Lich is defeated, the player must search the pillar on the right of the room to receive the sword. A message is left near the sword for Gilgamesh, written by Enkido, which reads:

To Brother Gil - Bro, I found the sword, like you told me. But there were two. One of 'em had a lame name, Something II. It was a dingy, old thing with flashy decorations, something you'd probably like. So I went with Excalipur. I'll be back after I find the Tin Armor.
    —Enkido

This... this is might be the dumbest thing I have ever encountered in Final Fantasy

Basically every final weapon in FFX was harder to get

Not all of them. The lightning one was more annoying than anything. (Those were the final weapons, right?)

Blitzball was just a grind.

But hey, I just got to remember the Chocobo race this morning! So now my day is ruined.

The lightning one was awful. How many strikes did you have to avoid? 100? 1000?

And didn't you have to do three absurd challenges for each weapon?

It's been so long that I don't really remember, honestly. I just remember whatever the final thing was for a few of them.

I don't remember how many but I think but you could just kind of zone out and get it once you got the pattern down.

The chocobo race I remember being just absurdly finicky and arbitrary.

Tidus: Beat the chocobo race in UNDER 0:0
    Wakka: Bliztball until it's the tournament prize.
    Yuna: Beat the summon fights at the ruined temple.
    Kilmarhi: Butterfly race, because sure why not.
    Auron: Capture one of each enemy from 10 different areas.
    Lulu: Dodge lightening 200 times.
    Rikku: Cactuar minigame in the desert.

I said the other day about thinking that the FF writing team could make something quite decent with enough flogging to keep them in line

I see it applies even more so to the game designers

I mean like, somebody ought to lose a hand for each of these

I think some of them make sense because they're the logical conclusion to one aspect of the game. Beating Blitzball? That makes sense-take that part of the game and go as far as you can with it.

Capturing lots of different enemies? Makes sense. You want this weapon, go explore everywhere and catch every enemy.

The chocobo race was dumb. Even if you were really good at it, the race was so arbitrary that it was basically luck.

Dodging 200 lightning bolts was just dumb. There's no point to getting good at that other than for the weapon.

Okay

Someone explain to me the draw of the later final fantasy games because I don't get it

what's not to love about atrocious stories sold by nostalgia and told over the course of a thousand hours?

• Options
    FFVI is the best VI

I mean best FF

Echo you are a mod of G&T I wouldn't bring that "discussion" on to your house why would you bring it to ours?

Well, clearly that means we're entitled to make one (1) Chat Thread in G&T.

• Options

That's french for "I am distressed by your passive nature."

• Options
    I think playing FFVII now would be awful, like riding a penny farthing in the Tour de France. It was a spectacular game that now looks awful and has stupid dialogue, an unfollowable plot and random ruddy battles. I treasure my memories of playing it when it came out, and know if I played it again now it'd be a very painful experience.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    I've been thoroughly uninterested in Mass Effect: Andromeda, but if the multiplayer is good I might pick it up.

I am going to pick it up pretty sharpish, I think. If the reviews are damning then I guess I'll avoid it, but honestly I love the ME gameplay cycle of run/gun/cover/biotic charge/amusing tough guy conversation with teammate.

Now I look back on the last generation of console games and feel like I'm basically done with it ME2 still sticks out as the best time I had, narrowly pipping Dark Souls.

if andromeda can give me a mass effect 1 like experience of discovering a new story and world, but with everything they've learned about gameplay from the games after it, I'm probably going to be reported missing at some point after its release

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I think playing FFVII now would be awful, like riding a penny farthing in the Tour de France. It was a spectacular game that now looks awful and has stupid dialogue, an unfollowable plot and random ruddy battles. I treasure my memories of playing it when it came out, and know if I played it again now it'd be a very painful experience.

i played it pretty fresh about.... 2 years ago and finished it.

It wasn't painful to me, but there was a slight tinge of nostalgia to it.

Still, it wasn't that bad.

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Holy Molly John Oliver's putin/trump song.......

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Oh is chat having anoher bad opinion day

• Options
    Wait, is Horizon out tomorrow or next week? I'd probably buy it if it was out tomorrow, but next week is too close to Zelda to have time for it.

• Options
    FFVI is the best VI

I mean best FF

Maybe the Seal Team?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Okay

The draw of every Final Fantasy game is the good times you remember having with whatever FF game was out when you were younger.

Also all that ultimate weapon nonsense is only ever of interest to completists. You don't need to collect them and can just ignore all the grindy rubbish and barrel through the story to the end. Mostly, anyway. Some games probably require a bit of grinding, but since I'm a completist I am usually over-levelled by the time I get to the end.

Also they're usually beautiful to look at and really, really long.

I played half of VII and watched someone playing VIII for a while so I haven't played any of the later belt-laden ones after that (although every steam sale I contemplate buying ff13)

The combat in that era seemed really, really repetitive which i think did more than anything to give me pause -- in FF8 I don't know if he was just early in the game or what but it seemed like it might as well have been scripted because he just spammed the same summons and attacks every time and the random combats were just incessant

It seems like the newer titles have drifted over to the run in circles cooldown timer Tales Of style combat? Videos on 13 were demonstrating the whole schtick with monsters fighting for you but idk

I recalled liking the NES ones in Olden Tymes but I just couldn't make it through the FFIII rerelease on DS after the 50th fight against two goblins

I think the best I have been able to do in embracing anything close to that world aesthetically was Tera Online for a few weeks but that's all realtime basic MMO stuff

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    the best final fantasy is chocobo's dungeon 2

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I'm certain it's aged far less well than, say, Baldur's Gate II. The writing in that still skips merrily along, and while the graphics aren't 4K FABULOUS they do at least render interesting backgrounds and do the job well.

The 3D FFVII in-engine graphics are frankly eye-searingly painful to look at today.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Flight to Munich in August booked.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    FFVI is the best VI

I mean best FF

Ultima

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Wait, is Horizon out tomorrow or next week? I'd probably buy it if it was out tomorrow, but next week is too close to Zelda to have time for it.

Next week

• Options

My opinions are fluid, and for sale to the highest bidder/first person to agree.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    • Like,
    • I mean,
    • I don't know,
    • daffodil
    • , but yeah,
    Anyone wanna make me a shock collar that detects when i type those words? :razz:

I mean, like... I don't know.

Just kill me, I guess... but yeah, like... I mean... daffodil, I don't know

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

The best Final Fantasy is Bravely Default

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    i haven't played 6 and the version of 6 on steam is apparently a kinda bad mobile port so i haven't still

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Okay

The draw of every Final Fantasy game is the good times you remember having with whatever FF game was out when you were younger.

Also all that ultimate weapon nonsense is only ever of interest to completists. You don't need to collect them and can just ignore all the grindy rubbish and barrel through the story to the end. Mostly, anyway. Some games probably require a bit of grinding, but since I'm a completist I am usually over-levelled by the time I get to the end.

Also they're usually beautiful to look at and really, really long.

I played half of VII and watched someone playing VIII for a while so I haven't played any of the later belt-laden ones after that (although every steam sale I contemplate buying ff13)

The combat in that era seemed really, really repetitive which i think did more than anything to give me pause -- in FF8 I don't know if he was just early in the game or what but it seemed like it might as well have been scripted because he just spammed the same summons and attacks every time and the random combats were just incessant

It seems like the newer titles have drifted over to the run in circles cooldown timer Tales Of style combat? Videos on 13 were demonstrating the whole schtick with monsters fighting for you but idk

I recalled liking the NES ones in Olden Tymes but I just couldn't make it through the FFIII rerelease on DS after the 50th fight against two goblins

I think the best I have been able to do in embracing anything close to that world aesthetically was Tera Online for a few weeks but that's all realtime basic MMO stuff

I played tera online too for a pretty long while because the combat, while as repetitive as any other mumorpuger, is at least decently engaging because I gotta dodge some shit occasionally

I did play it pretty much solely because of aesthetics

TERA_SCREENSHOT-1024x576.jpg

I deeply regret making a female character though and I cringed a lot

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    • Like,
    • I mean,
    • I don't know,
    • daffodil
    • , but yeah,

I mean, like... I don't know.

Just kill me, I guess... but yeah, like... I mean... daffodil, I don't know

Ah, the mating call of the 21stCentury. Truly a glorious sight.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

Only the first half.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    FF games tended to cause one of a few specific problems for me:
    -being long and meandering and me forgetting where I was supposed to be going after replacing the disc that had invariably failed
    -hinging important loot on some choice that was arbitrary or immaterial at the time (looking at you, best summon in FF10)

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    • Like,
    • I mean,
    • I don't know,
    • daffodil
    • , but yeah,

Like, I mean, I don't know, but yeah, daoofdil's kill me.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

i enjoyed bravely default even the parts people complained about but it is no chocobo's dungeon 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCa17qVOTNM

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    FF games tended to cause one of a few specific problems for me:
    -being long and meandering and me forgetting where I was supposed to be going after replacing the disc that had invariably failed
    -hinging important loot on some choice that was arbitrary or immaterial at the time (looking at you, best summon in FF10)

? which summon can be missed by making the wrong choice in FF10?

• Options
    i haven't played 6 and the version of 6 on steam is apparently a kinda bad mobile port so i haven't still

It just has kind of weird redone art. Lacking a nostalgic connection to the original probably lessens its offensiveness, though.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Daffidilio

• Options
    • Like,
    • I mean,
    • I don't know,
    • daffodil
    • , but yeah,

Like, I mean, I don't know, but yeah, daoofdil's kill me.

i'm flattered, but i think i prefer Milski's mating call.

This discussion has been closed.