Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Ropes hold for a long time too, keeping that robit out of the fight which is particularly useful in the later corruption zones.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Also note that bots will break free of ropes more quickly when they take damage.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Too bad you can't RIDE the sawtooth.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I beats the game!
    So I finished the Ancient Armory side quest before I when to the final fight, and let me tell you, that armor is worth it. I finished all the final fights without using any health items thanks to that thing soaking up damage and my dodging skills. Ended the game at level 39. So... about that bonus ending scene, amirite?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I may have made a slight error. Went into my first cauldron, get to the end and I am 6 levels under this thing trying to kill me, lol. If I had some space to work with, maybe, but I don't see how I'm going to get this done.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I may have made a slight error. Went into my first cauldron, get to the end and I am 6 levels under this thing trying to kill me, lol. If I had some space to work with, maybe, but I don't see how I'm going to get this done.

There is a place that is just to the right override pillar of these cauldrons boss rooms that looks like a V with a dip towards the bottom end. With the exception of Zeta, I found that I could dip down in there, and take pop shots at each boss until they are dead. Zeta's boss will be able to see you in there.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Monsters have levels?

Where do I see this?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    That was super helpful, thanks!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I had a cauldron boss lose track of me yesterday and start just random patrolling. I wasn't even trying to hide from it!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Monsters have levels?

Where do I see this?

When you scan something with your focus there is a number beside their name. That's the level.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Monsters have levels?

Where do I see this?

When you scan something with your focus there is a number beside their name. That's the level.

Ok, thanks.

I just also did my first cauldron then finished up the main quest to
    avenge cultists with the war chief

wondering what level I should be.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I've found the level thing pretty forgiving depending on the circumstances.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Anyone try the rapid fire/close range arrow weapon?
    If that's the Rattler, I used it to get all the tutorial XP, then never touched it again.
    It might actually turn out to be handy for the 'can't aim because I'm dodging for my life' moments, I just never think of it because I'm too busy dodging for my life.

I never got on with the Rattler because of the game auto-switching to the spear when enemies got close. There just weren't that many situations where the enemy was too far to use a bow but too close to activate the spear for it to make sense, and the few times it would I didn't think to go into the menu and equip it.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    The best thing about the cauldrons - and wow I wish there were more of them - is getting to the end, staring at the boss, and knowing that you are intentionally going to let it out and you're going to have to kill it. PARTICULARLY Zeta. There was a real sense of "oh god I'm actually doing this thing, aren't I?" when I pushed that particular button. :)

I did like the one where they mixed up the formula as well, though, that had some of the most memorable fighting bits.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've found the level thing pretty forgiving depending on the circumstances.
    Yeah, your damage and capabilities are almost entirely dependent on gear. The level is just a recommendation, and there doesn't seem to be a penalty for being hideously underleveled if you have a solid plan to take out a particular robot. Most of the bigger robots can be taken down by Tear-damage hits against its detachable weapon and shooting it with its own gun, for example.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh no the corruptors got to my PS4. Crashed out of the game, now it's telling me to delete the application and reinstall it because files are corrupted.
    (Insert nervous sweat .gif here)
    Update One: Ok, reinstalled. But now it says it can't read the disc when I try to launch it. Cleaned it off a bit, going to try shutting down and restarting next.
    Update Two: Damn back to the corrupted message and delete and reinstall message. Maybe I'll try just deleting the last couple auto saves.
    Update Three: Giving up for the night. Even trying to manually load old saves fails. Something is buggered.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Close to 40 hours. 12 main missions completed.

...30-40 hours of gameplay? Yeah, RIGHT.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Anyone try the rapid fire/close range arrow weapon?
    If that's the Rattler, I used it to get all the tutorial XP, then never touched it again.
    It might actually turn out to be handy for the 'can't aim because I'm dodging for my life' moments, I just never think of it because I'm too busy dodging for my life.

I never got on with the Rattler because of the game auto-switching to the spear when enemies got close. There just weren't that many situations where the enemy was too far to use a bow but too close to activate the spear for it to make sense, and the few times it would I didn't think to go into the menu and equip it.

It auto switches? That's never happened to me.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Oh no the corruptors got to my PS4. Crashed out of the game, now it's telling me to delete the application and reinstall it because files are corrupted.
    (Insert nervous sweat .gif here)
    Update One: Ok, reinstalled. But now it says it can't read the disc when I try to launch it. Cleaned it off a bit, going to try shutting down and restarting next.
    Update Two: Damn back to the corrupted message and delete and reinstall message. Maybe I'll try just deleting the last couple auto saves.
    Update Three: Giving up for the night. Even trying to manually load old saves fails. Something is buggered.

Funny you mention this. I took my PS4 out of rest mode yesterday and there was a new icon on the dash "Corrupted Data". The game had to reload from scratch but my save was intact. I cannot get rid of this 'corrupted data' icon though.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Might have been to do with the new dashboard update? Those try to apply themselves when it's in Rest mode, don't they? It might not have liked having an open game at the time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Yeah, that could well be it.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I definitely had the game open in rest mode. I didn't actually give up last night. I did another application delete and reinstall (so that's two 48GB downloads). Once it was done I tried loading a day old save and it thought about it for a long time and then started downloading something. After like 5 min it actually loaded into the game but in a just post Proving state. But from there I was able to choose to load my more recent save file, and it worked.

I managed to play for about 45 minutes, redo some stuff I had deleted past, and go on to do some new stuff. But then it dropped straight to that corrupted info/reinstall message. That's when I gave up. Will look at it again tonight. Haven't had much luck finding like a known issues/troubleshooting place to research this stuff either. It's not an easy game to search for "corruption".

• Options
    Okay, never leave PS4 connected to the internet: check. Shut down all applications before applying updates: check.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'm the weird guy that shuts down all applications after every use.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm the weird guy that shuts down all applications after every use.

I'm the guy that would never reboot my computer if I didn't have to because of updates.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Levels: 31
    Cauldrons: 4
    Tallnecks: 3
    Raccoons: 0

Well this is baffling. They're all over the damn place. Just focus and look around in the wilds that are green at some point. They're a little rarer than foxes but not by much.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    @akajaybay: Sorry that you're having that issue. I believe I had Horizon open/on standby when my OS update auto-applied, so I guess I dodged a bullet, but I was also running the most recent beta OS, so maybe that helped. I don't know. I am usually really good about closing apps when I'm done using them, but I always leave the game I'm playing running on standby. Guess I'll have to be more cognizant about update rollouts.

On HZD: as I've mentioned repeatedly, I've had a blast tackling different types of content in each play session - sometimes I'll sit down and spend two hours doing sidequests, or an hour focusing only on collectibles and filling out the map, or I'll play a couple of main story missions until I get to a new settlement, then get distracted by something else - but last night I decided to just start mainlining story missions. I was too interested in where this thing was going to continue moseying around in the woods, and... hoo boy, I sure am glad I decided to take the next step in the story.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If you're hunting wild game, hang out around the embrace, or in the jungle area in the southeast by meridian. Fewer robits to get in the way, stuff in plentiful, and there's also the ruins you can hunt rats as well

• Options
    Fish live in slow moving water so look for ponds rather than fast running streams/rivers.

The only thing I really had issues with was geese but a quick google will show you were like half a dozen spawn right on the edge of the embrace.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Levels: 31
    Cauldrons: 4
    Tallnecks: 3
    Raccoons: 0

Well this is baffling. They're all over the damn place. Just focus and look around in the wilds that are green at some point. They're a little rarer than foxes but not by much.

I have killed infinity foxes. Same with boars, rabbit, even rats. I pretty much constantly have my Focus on when moving between areas. I have never seen a raccoon. If you told me they were not in the game and this is some kind of prank, I would believe you.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    As an aside, amusingly I have never seen a live fish but have killed dozens. They're always just floating there after I blow a Snapmaw the fuck up.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    I do find the random animal corpses among the loot hilarious. Just like "oh, their was a goose?" *shrugs* *loots*

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    The lake on the western side of the map is great for fish. They show up in groups of 6-7 instead of 1-3 like in streams.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    The more I play this game, the more I desperately hope that HZD 2 lets us control machines ourselves. And dumb multiplayer idea: big arenas where teams of player-controlled machines battle.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Raccoons can be found in the green wilds of the eastern part of the map. Specifically, check the area to the east/southeast of Devil's Thirst. That's where I found the ones I needed. Then again, I've spotted them all over, so you are just the most unlucky hunter ever. =\

My system gave me some issues the other day. I leave Horizon on all the time and put the system into Rest mode. The other day I noticed that the video tab was starting to act slowly. Then when I tried to view the details of the latest system update, it just played the symbol animation and said Please Wait... for like ten minutes. Then I restarted the system and it just showed a black screen with those symbols for another ten minutes. Finally manually restarted it (finger on power for a while til it beeped) and installed the update. No issues since then.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Fawst wrote: »
    Raccoons can be found in the green wilds of the eastern part of the map. Specifically, check the area to the east/southeast of Devil's Thirst. That's where I found the ones I needed. Then again, I've spotted them all over, so you are just the most unlucky hunter ever. =\

My system gave me some issues the other day. I leave Horizon on all the time and put the system into Rest mode. The other day I noticed that the video tab was starting to act slowly. Then when I tried to view the details of the latest system update, it just played the symbol animation and said Please Wait... for like ten minutes. Then I restarted the system and it just showed a black screen with those symbols for another ten minutes. Finally manually restarted it (finger on power for a while til it beeped) and installed the update. No issues since then.

I've definitely noticed (temporary) crippling slowness in the OS when putting Horizon on standby. Not sure if it's a 4.5 thing or a Horizon thing. I also had a weird situation where all of the textures had this bizarre red streaky shadow overlaid on them when returning to the game from standby, but thereafter and until a restart, all PS4 UI elements and even PS Vue had the same thing, so again, might not be a Horizon thing.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    I had my Pro with Horizon on Standby Wednesday night. When I came home to trigger the update, I was backed into a corner. PSN wouldn't let me sign in on my account, because my PS4 Pro wasn't patched. PS4 wouldn't let me run the 4.5 Update because I had Horizon running. Horizon wouldn't let me open it and save/shut down because I wasn't signed in, so I didn't have access to the software. I just had to bank on the fact the when I put HZD on standby, I had saved recently, so I forced closed it and ran the update. Thankfully I didn't lose any progress.

I mean, the root cause is that my PS4 Pro isn't my primary PS4. I probably need to switch which one is primary, now that games are starting to come out that are better on the PRO.

In thread related news, I beat the game last night. Very good ending. All I've got left is flowers, mugs, and dummies, and then I will have all the trophies. I do look forward to replaying this again a few years down the road, maybe before the sequel comes out.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I could go for a Sun Ring Colosseum-style DLC. Send in one human, give them time to lay traps and prep the area, then a number of player-controlled machines go in and try to take the person down, or some variation of that.

• Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    How is the exploring in this game? Are there lots of secret places to find? Maybe something like the vistas in Guild Wars 2?

• Options
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong but when I use tearblast arrows on the Thunderjaw and strip its guns I'm never able to pick them up.

This discussion has been closed.