As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] This guy, who I named "Brexit", did something stupid

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The only thing I could see the Queen refusing to sign would be an act repealing the Union or some such.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    This kind of statement rarely ends well:

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That's a letter of resignation in the future

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Wales voted for Brexit – but not for Welsh people to suffer.

A headline from a Guardian story last year. Well, I mean, I guess they hoped someone else would suffer. They were wrong, like Cornwall was wrong, and in fact lots of England was wrong. Good luck trying to stave off harmful effects for your corner of the country now the car is heading off the cliff. Next time you have an important decision to take maybe think about what could go wrong, eh?

I don't think many people who wanted to Leave wanted this car crash, but I guess most of them didn't really know what they thought would happen, so this is what they get. This is what we all get.

I would like lots of news stories of people being miserable because voting Leave has harmfully impacted their lives in ways they hadn't considered. I will watch them on repeat until I die laughing.

Somebody once told me "everyone is the hero in their own movie" basically it means that people will always see their actions as justified and any mistakes are blamed on something else. This isn't a problem went times are good as most people are generally happy but when things turn sour, that is when people start complaining, looking for someone to blame and generally look for a way to make themselves blameless. This is where the far right thrives, it tells people that nothing is their fault and it is all down to someone else. Notice how UKIP rarely talked about how great things would be once we left? No, their campaign was based more on the fear of things getting worse if we stayed, immigration, the EU army etc. Sticking it to the rich was also a factor because they were a convenient target after the financial crisis.

While I am sure that some people disliked the EU, an awful lot of people voted leave because they thought that by doing so, the things that they were blaming for their problems would go away. The thing that scares me isn't the brexit itself, but what is going to happen once people realise it didn't solve everything.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh they'll blame the same people, but even harder.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    I like that their facial expressions almost match the rating they've been given.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    This kind of statement rarely ends well:

Running that through my decoder ring comes up with 'RESIGN-ON-FRIDAY-AFTERNOON-PREFERABLY-AFTER-SIX-O'CLOCK-NEWS'.
    I may be getting that wrong.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I like J K Rowling quite a lot these days, must say

The whole Native American Harry Potter stuff was not good and I wish she'd have apologised but on UK politics she's legit

• Options
    Faith in a minister is like Schrodinger's cat: The act of stating your faith changes the value of it, and nearly always for the negative.
    Solar wrote: »
    I like J K Rowling quite a lot these days, must say

The whole Native American Harry Potter stuff was not good and I wish she'd have apologised but on UK politics she's legit

Yeah she's better at playing to her strengths

She had Moody explain this to Harry dagnabbit
    Okay it was Barty Crouch Junior in disguise but still

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

No.

No no no.

Noooooo nonononono no no no.

Fuck no.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    The Guardian has a very long article about what will happen when the Queen dies.

Does the Guardian know something we don't?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    The Guardian has a very long article about what will happen when the Queen dies.

It has this amazing but of history!
    “The King’s life is moving peacefully towards its close,” was the final notice issued by George V’s doctor, Lord Dawson, at 9.30pm on the night of 20 January 1936.

Not long afterwards, Dawson injected the king with 750mg of morphine and a gram of cocaine – enough to kill him twice over – in order to ease the monarch’s suffering, and to have him expire in time for the printing presses of the Times, which rolled at midnight.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

JoeUser wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

It has this amazing but of history!
    “The King’s life is moving peacefully towards its close,” was the final notice issued by George V’s doctor, Lord Dawson, at 9.30pm on the night of 20 January 1936.

Not long afterwards, Dawson injected the king with 750mg of morphine and a gram of cocaine – enough to kill him twice over – in order to ease the monarch’s suffering, and to have him expire in time for the printing presses of the Times, which rolled at midnight.

That's....one of the most British things that I've ever read.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ah yes, Lord Dawson. He argued against legalizing euthanasia, saying it should be "a matter of conscience between doctor and patient" or something to that effect. That was before the contents of his diary were made public.

Meanwhile, today's dose of "satire is dead"

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Wales voted for Brexit – but not for Welsh people to suffer.

A headline from a Guardian story last year. Well, I mean, I guess they hoped someone else would suffer. They were wrong, like Cornwall was wrong, and in fact lots of England was wrong. Good luck trying to stave off harmful effects for your corner of the country now the car is heading off the cliff. Next time you have an important decision to take maybe think about what could go wrong, eh?

I don't think many people who wanted to Leave wanted this car crash, but I guess most of them didn't really know what they thought would happen, so this is what they get. This is what we all get.

I would like lots of news stories of people being miserable because voting Leave has harmfully impacted their lives in ways they hadn't considered. I will watch them on repeat until I die laughing.

Somebody once told me "everyone is the hero in their own movie" basically it means that people will always see their actions as justified and any mistakes are blamed on something else. This isn't a problem went times are good as most people are generally happy but when things turn sour, that is when people start complaining, looking for someone to blame and generally look for a way to make themselves blameless. This is where the far right thrives, it tells people that nothing is their fault and it is all down to someone else. Notice how UKIP rarely talked about how great things would be once we left? No, their campaign was based more on the fear of things getting worse if we stayed, immigration, the EU army etc. Sticking it to the rich was also a factor because they were a convenient target after the financial crisis.

While I am sure that some people disliked the EU, an awful lot of people voted leave because they thought that by doing so, the things that they were blaming for their problems would go away. The thing that scares me isn't the brexit itself, but what is going to happen once people realise it didn't solve everything.

Or, indeed, anything.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I'm increasingly convinced that May just isn't up to handling being questioned.

Her response to it seems to just be to retreat into refusing to engage with the issue and instead insisting that everyone should shut up, leave everything to her, and nobody is allowed to have any knowledge about what her plans are. It's starting to get a bit "impostor syndrome" in that she gives off a vibe of being terrified of being found out.

Imagine what a competent Westminster opposition could do with that.

*wistful gaze*

• Options
    Some Irish fails from our US politicians

• Options
    Please god nobody say sure and begorrah

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    In fairness to Paul Ryan, that beer was probably poured from a can 20 minutes before he went out. But still stupid.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I assume these are english (or welsh? scottish?), not Irish, things to say/drink.
    Otherwise i lack the cultural awareness to parse what the problem was.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I assume these are english, not Irish, things to say/drink.

Stereotyping, therefore condescending

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Ah, i figured the condescension was expected and not worthy of note.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I assume these are english (or welsh? scottish?), not Irish, things to say/drink.

it looks more like a foamy diet coke than a Guinness...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I don't know what's wrong with the pint, as I'm not a Guinness person, but some shade coming from Ireland

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

That, but also the head on that pint is frankly shocking. And either the glass is very large, or someone took a few hits off of it beforehand.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

That, but also the head on that pint is frankly shocking. And either the glass is very large, or someone took a few hits off of it beforehand.

Cans are only 500ml rather than a full pint,

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Cans are only 500ml rather than a full pint,

A US pint is only 470 ish ml

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    How many ml is a pint in the UK? I thought it was 500ml.

• Options
    LaOs wrote: »

568ml

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »

570ml or thereabouts.
    I can believe that's a 470ml pint.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Oh, neat. Learning new things everyday. erryday!

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Also, that is in no way a pint and Ryan is raising it like he would a wine glass.

Edit: I see other people have already covered the size of it.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Makes me glad that St George's Day isn't really a thing

US politicians holding up mugs of incorrect tea saying "Pips on a bobbin, old bean"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

No.

No no no.

Noooooo nonononono no no no.

Fuck no.

Although counterpoint, Irish win in Handshake off. Trumps jerk and pat technique falls to both Canadian Ingenuity and Irish Determination! Trump pledges a billion dollars for handshake research.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    May says "Now is not the time" for a Scottish referendum, nothing before 2020.

Now is not the time. But Sturgeon didn't propose now.

A strange and confusing statement by May.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    May says "Now is not the time" for a Scottish referendum, nothing before 2020.

Now is not the time. But Sturgeon didn't propose now.

A strange and confusing statement by May.

Also notable that the rationale doesn't work, given that the point of the suggested timing was that the brexit deal would be known (because it's realistically the latest possible stage in the negotiating process that a deal can still be practically passed).

I'm unsure whether to read into this that May doesn't expect to reach a deal.

• Options
    Theresa May is an utterly useless waste of space PM that got the job because nobody else toed the line between supporting Brexit and not being an utter right wing maniac in the Parliamentary Tory Party

Her competition was basically Dolores Umbridge by way of the CofE, the snotty kid at school who always tells on you grown into a distorted and widely mocked facsimile of a man and a bearded homophobe no fucker had ever heard of.

No, May is crap. U-turns, utterly shambolic Brexit, shit at dealing with devolved governments, zero notable policies that haven't been dropped due to outcry, NHS in a crisis, transport in a crisis... fucking incompetent I'd call it, except the opposition is busy manufacturing scandals for itself and tearing it's own flesh in a quest for ideological purity.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I have a general surface-level understanding of UK politics, and don't often poke around for info, but I just came across this article. It's about jobs in the UK falling and the possibility that they will continue to fall.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/morgan-mckinley-city-london-finance-banking-jobs-feb-2017-3

There was a rebound from the initial burnout that put things about back on the level, but it's all falling again - only faster. There's an expect spike back up to happen next month but I'm not sure what it's based on. If Theresa May goes for a particular kind of exiting from the EU, London is going to lose a "financial passport" (anyone wanna help me out with that one?), which is going to screw over like 5000 companies in the city.

All the numbers in that article are pretty specifically assigned. This is just all bad. I feel like Theresa May has been possessed by the ghost of Marge Thatcher or something.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    And yet our rent is still expect to go up and we are bombarded by advice from all around us to buy a house instead of renting a flat, even though I'm not even sure if I want us to stay in the UK.

This discussion has been closed.