As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile]Bestiary League begins on March 2nd

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I'd recommend Alkaizer's gladiator build, it gets pretty damn close to immortal with good gear, yet should be really decent with cheap stuff too. (look at his level 100 gladiator on LHC) I don't think he's written a guide or anything, but it should be pretty straightforward to look at his gear and passive tree to see how it works.

Leveling that should be pretty easy, can just use sunder or flurry, or whatever is most fun.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Snow monsters?

Yet another fantasy game expansion set in Canada, then.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I came back, wasn't sure when the new stuff was hitting but the game looks notably better than last time I played and I am seeing lots of new creatures.

playing a with shrapnel shot and I took the passive that lets me do more damage up close. not totally sure what I am gonna use for support (leech seems good, so does more damage, or faster shooting, or more evasion, or or or)

but in the meantime just focusing on getting to and taking all the life nodes i expect to be able to reach with my build.

the only flaw, andI run into it a lot in this game, is I am awesome at clearing huge packs but against single target I am kinda mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I am almost thinking about using the same skill on a different items and supporting it with better single target stuff (I have LMP on it for crowds and with the auto pierce it's pretty great)

anyway, just spitballing from someone who loves this game and plays on and off but has never really reached lategame so I am always sort of mystified by how things are gonna turn out haha.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Looks like I've got a long climb ahead of me to get my build totally done.

It's gonna be expensive af to really endgame with it.

(Got enough jewel sockets to go Primordial, get 2 more golems to stack with Leige of the Primordial, but fuck those jewels are expensive)

yeah the golem builds have really gained popularity since last league. While Primordial Might and Anima Stone were at about the same level early on like at the end of last league, Harmonies were going for about 4 chaos back when I bought them last league. now they start at 23+ and were going for 10-14 when I bought them for this league's build.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    Having a separate setup for single target is a valid and common tactic, you could also use vaal lightning trap to shock things when you need a boost in damage.

Sometimes you can just swap a single gem when you engage a boss for a big damage boost, like swapping increased aoe for conc effect or putting in slower proj instead of gmp.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I came back, wasn't sure when the new stuff was hitting but the game looks notably better than last time I played and I am seeing lots of new creatures.

playing a with shrapnel shot and I took the passive that lets me do more damage up close. not totally sure what I am gonna use for support (leech seems good, so does more damage, or faster shooting, or more evasion, or or or)

but in the meantime just focusing on getting to and taking all the life nodes i expect to be able to reach with my build.

the only flaw, andI run into it a lot in this game, is I am awesome at clearing huge packs but against single target I am kinda mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I am almost thinking about using the same skill on a different items and supporting it with better single target stuff (I have LMP on it for crowds and with the auto pierce it's pretty great)

anyway, just spitballing from someone who loves this game and plays on and off but has never really reached lategame so I am always sort of mystified by how things are gonna turn out haha.

Get a 2nd weapon, press X to switch weapons.

Ezpz.

I have to do it with my build, as well, I just haven't been able to get another Quill Rain.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    scherbchen wrote: »
    Looks like I've got a long climb ahead of me to get my build totally done.

It's gonna be expensive af to really endgame with it.

(Got enough jewel sockets to go Primordial, get 2 more golems to stack with Leige of the Primordial, but fuck those jewels are expensive)

yeah the golem builds have really gained popularity since last league. While Primordial Might and Anima Stone were at about the same level early on like at the end of last league, Harmonies were going for about 4 chaos back when I bought them last league. now they start at 23+ and were going for 10-14 when I bought them for this league's build.

Well, it's more of a support to my EA build. I'm going Elementalist for ascendancy and getting 4 golems out and about all fucking roided out would be a great damage mitigation technique.

Not only that, but +CSC, +Dam, +HP regen (which I'm blood magic, so necessary), and +Dam Reduction is a hell of a bonus cluster to have.

Explosive Arrow leaves you with a LOT of open skill gem slots, as you only really need your bow's 5/6 and another 4 for Frenzy, and 1 somewhere for Blink Arrow. That leaves a lot of open space, and being a golem wrangler seems like it would really play well with Liege of the Primordial, which doubles the bonus from golems and makes them immune to elemental damage.

This also allows me to get a Kaom's without really sacrificing any skills in the process.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

Ezpz.

I have to do it with my build, as well, I just haven't been able to get another Quill Rain.

This is a viable option for many builds but bow builds in particular because you can run a 5 or 6 link on separate bows. This can get pricey but it's a great way to have separate aoe/single target swaps on a button press instead of having to gem swap. Also you can use cheap mtx to put different glows on them for an easy differentiator so you don't get stuck using the wrong one in an hours long map grind when you're zoned out

As a bonus you can also sometimes use it to handle reflect mobs with something like a phys to lightning gem or an added chaos/void manip setup. This doesn't work for all skills though since you tend to commit to physical or elemental but if you're using projectile/area scaling for double dipping it can turn out to be pretty effective to just run the odd reflect map.

It can also work with a staff!

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

Ezpz.

This is a viable option for many builds but bow builds in particular because you can run a 5 or 6 link on separate bows. This can get pricey but it's a great way to have separate aoe/single target swaps on a button press instead of having to gem swap. Also you can use cheap mtx to put different glows on them for an easy differentiator so you don't get stuck using the wrong one in an hours long map grind when you're zoned out

As a bonus you can also sometimes use it to handle reflect mobs with something like a phys to lightning gem or an added chaos/void manip setup. This doesn't work for all skills though since you tend to commit to physical or elemental but if you're using projectile/area scaling for double dipping it can turn out to be pretty effective to just run the odd reflect map.

Reflect isn't hugely on the radar yet, since I've got a passive -60% to reflected elemental damage right now, but it's something that will probably come in handy further on down the line.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Ezpz.

Reflect isn't hugely on the radar yet, since I've got a passive -60% to reflected elemental damage right now, but it's something that will probably come in handy further on down the line.

If you've got that amount of reflect reduction then you should be fine with basically any level of leech. Unless you're topping 100k dps or doing a 4k life glass cannon or running stupid things like ele weak/vuln min max maps without overcapped resists.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    New Minion balancing incoming in the beta. Fewer but stronger, and the ambition to have Specters persist on logouts.
    Zombies
    Raised Zombies have had their damage increased, and now do 45% more damage with a level 20 minion gem. Alongside the new zombie threshold jewel, they should be a more reliable source of damage while maintaining their defensive capabilities.

Skeleton Warriors
    These have been significantly increased in damage, and now deal 135% more damage per second with a level 20 gem. Their attack animation has been sped up and improved so that they strike earlier in the swing. The Summon Skeletons skill has had its cast time reduced to 0.5 seconds from 0.8 seconds, and now only summons one skeleton per cast. The mana cost of the skill has been significantly reduced. Skeletal Warriors now have an inherent 20% chance to block. The skill now summons up to 5 skeletons at all levels of the gem, instead of growing from 4 to 6 as the skill increased in level. They now have a -30% multiplier to added damage, down from -50%, bringing them in-line with the multiplier on Raging Spirits.

There are now fewer sources of additional skeletons; Uniques and items that granted additional skeletons (Including existing items) will now grant no more than 1 additional skeleton, and there are fewer sources of additional skeletons to be found in the passive tree. The helmet enchantment that spawned additional skeletons per cast will be reworked or replaced. With investment in uniques and passives, a player should be able to reach around 15 skeletons. The Army of Bones jewel will now grant 1 additional skeleton, has a limit of 1, and is being reworked.

Skeletal Mages
    These minions have had their projectile skill's damage significantly increased, and have a much faster cast time on their spell. This projectile now deals 50% more damage at level 20 of the skill gem. They benefit from many of the changes to the base skill that summons that are noted above, including the cast time, mana cost, and maximum number of skeletons. The Dead Reckoning jewel that lets players summon Skeletal Mages is now limited to 3, and lets the skill summon 5 additional skeletal mages, up from 3 per jewel.

Previously, skeletal mages dealt significantly more damage at level 19 and above of the gem, as an unintentional result of changes to monster spells. Their damage now grows much more evenly, making them significantly more powerful at lower levels.

Spectres
    We're hoping to have improvements to how spectres are stored, with the eventual goal of having spectres persist through logouts.

Spectres now also have a higher movement speed multiplier cap, so they can travel faster than before if their movement speed is significantly increased.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Ezpz.

If you've got that amount of reflect reduction then you should be fine with basically any level of leech. Unless you're topping 100k dps or doing a 4k life glass cannon or running stupid things like ele weak/vuln min max maps without overcapped resists.

TBH I really don't know what my DPS is. EA doesn't have a great tool tip in that regard.

I should have 7-8k life, hopefully, with the amount of life nodes I'm getting and an eventual Koams chestplate.

In a few levels I should also be immune to life leech as well, so the build is coming together.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Started up another duelist last night to play along with my buddy that I got in the game. I think he's gonna try out Mathil's Ice Crash Slayer. Seems like a decent choice to get in to things with. On my end I'm gonna do gladiator and make an attempt to try for Alkaizer's setup, though it's probably far out of reach monetarily and I'm still mostly focused on my witch.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Righteous Fire dude is 89 and crunching thru atlas completion. All non-unique maps up through T12 have been completed for their bonus.

I really need to do uber lab (been one trial short for about two weeks) before I push further. I guess it's time to start daisy-chaining Dream Trials until I get lucky.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Started up another duelist last night to play along with my buddy that I got in the game. I think he's gonna try out Mathil's Ice Crash Slayer. Seems like a decent choice to get in to things with. On my end I'm gonna do gladiator and make an attempt to try for Alkaizer's setup, though it's probably far out of reach monetarily and I'm still mostly focused on my witch.

I used that Ice Crash build for my "play with friends alt". Everything went pretty smooth, I think I used Sunder until Ice Crash. I got a lucky weapon drop in merc, so it's possible that the build might have a little dip there.... not that I think it loses any power around there, more that I just can't say for certain that it doesn't. Between my main and my alt, I think I've had like 5 of the recommended weapons drop for that build, so I'm assuming it's pretty budget. The other nice thing is that it's very friendly on sockets, both in the number required (end build uses Kaoms with no sockets, so a low total), and that it works great without 6 links. I started maps with nothing but 4 links and it was still working great.

• Options
    My chaos flurry character is doing pretty well, I'm at the point where potential upgrades are 2+ exalts and I'm fairly certain I'll be able to do guardians and shaper. I have one hydra map but since hydra is immune to poison I'm definitely going to wait until I level before I try it. I've done some pretty difficult maps with the character, the highlight being a 200% +ele damage dark forest with fleet and onslaught. I did die to the boss once but that was due to poor play and not a deficiency of the build.

I almost have 10,000 perandus coins from running perandus leaguestones on pretty much every map so far, but I still need 3 of the boxes for the challenge. Really I shouldn't complain though, I was able to get the talisman challenge done pretty easily, I only have about half a tab of t1 talismans and maybe 8 t3 talismans, whereas I've seen people with multiple tabs of t1 talismans who are still missing a couple of the bosses.

If anyone needs ilvl84 stuff let me know, I usually keep around 2-3 of each base.

If you need trials for uberlab you can always sit in global 820, lots of people share them there for free, I share mine there if the channel isn't full.

• Options
    Welp, finally.

Now to to a tier 1 map to gauge my build and see what needs work!

• Options
    It's super effective.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I'm at level 87 and on yellow maps. I've come to 5k life, 1k ES (with Discipline) and am pretty satisfied with my DPS, but I think I was doing damage quite slowly against Uber Izaro (though I can actually survive one of his big hits) and I am definitely not up to go through all maps quickly. Breaches can still whack me quite quickly depending on various factors.

Here is my passive tree (I am doing a crit-focused inquisitor following Twenty Sided's setup). I have a Belly and a 5L Pledge of Hands, and I am wondering whether to get me an Essence Worm or just focus on amassing more life and ES on my gear, because the passive tree looks pretty exhausted on that end. I don't really feel like leveling a new toon.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Absalon wrote: »
    I'm at level 87 and on yellow maps. I've come to 5k life, 1k ES (with Discipline) and am pretty satisfied with my DPS, but I think I was doing damage quite slowly against Uber Izaro (though I can actually survive one of his big hits) and I am definitely not up to go through all maps quickly. Breaches can still whack me quite quickly depending on various factors.

Here is my passive tree (I am doing a crit-focused inquisitor following Twenty Sided's setup). I have a Belly and a 5L Pledge of Hands, and I am wondering whether to get me an Essence Worm or just focus on amassing more life and ES on my gear, because the passive tree looks pretty exhausted on that end. I don't really feel like leveling a new toon.

I would take the fourth jewel socket (above Witch start) and work on getting some better jewels. The ones you have in there are due for upgrades, and you should be able to find good 3-property jewels for ~5c apiece.

EDIT: I would try to pick up some crit multiplier on your jewels, as it can be hard to come by on the tree for spell builds.

Griswold on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'd just leave off Discipline and use the mana you reserve on it tank damage.
    Essence Worm + Wrath gives ~20% more damage, which I generally consider worth the ring slot.
    Cruel Preparation (that big life node to the left of the Witch's power node) edges out some int and resist if that's a thing for you. I changed that for my build.
    Lightning Walker is also probably okay for two points compared to a jewel, for yet more resists. 26% lightning damage and 15% lightning resist is pretty hard to top with a jewel.
    Buy a Clear Mind Jewel if you're going Essence Worm. They're cheap and they're an easy 40% to 60% spell damage if you're comboing with Essence Worm to force unreserved status.
    Luxury option is to start running Labs for the 2% life regen and mana regen when hit recently on your boots.

It's a pleasure to see that somebody cared enough to stick to my build for that long.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Mccart if you ever change your av I'll never be able to find this thread on mobile.

Merc lab done, mapping now (on tier 3 atm).

Kinda rough that my main damage multiplier is gonna be leveling up the EA gem.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Odd question, when something is priced at 0.6 ex, what exchange rate is used? Is it just the best chaos -> ex rate? Does the buyer or the seller decide the chaos amount?

Also, I don't know how people generally feel on price checks in this thread, but I have a jewel I think is pretty good, but POE trade only has 1 similar item without a price.
    10% increased damage over time
    15% increased fire damage
    6% increased attack speed while dual wielding
    12% increased area damage

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    I finally started this league. Decide to try a essence drain/contagion witch. I'm about to start running cruel dried lakes to get ready for merciless difficulty.

Second dried lakes normal run got me a Tabula Rasa, which has been great for leveling.

I'm enjoying the league so far. I planned on taking it off for a break before 3.0

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Odd question, when something is priced at 0.6 ex, what exchange rate is used? Is it just the best chaos -> ex rate? Does the buyer or the seller decide the chaos amount?

Also, I don't know how people generally feel on price checks in this thread, but I have a jewel I think is pretty good, but POE trade only has 1 similar item without a price.

Usually its chaos. Ask what their exchange rate is, its usually market value but best to be sure.

Yilias on
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular

When you figure out a price, let me know, that's an amazing jewel for RF.

• Options
    I wonder if we're still on schedule to have a beta by the end of this month. Feels so soon.

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    I've been pondering starting a new build this league. I wanted to mess around with an archer build, and I've never played with the double dipping poison-type builds. Is there a good archer build that abuses double-dipping before they remove it?

• Options
    Ender wrote: »
    I've been pondering starting a new build this league. I wanted to mess around with an archer build, and I've never played with the double dipping poison-type builds. Is there a good archer build that abuses double-dipping before they remove it?

King of the Forest is a popular double-dipping build. Death's Opus is fairly cheap now too which is basically best-in-slot until you can afford a relic Reach of the Council.

Here is a split arrow version that a guy played to 100 in LHC.

Chaos damage, projectile damage, and generic "damage" all double dip. Area damage does not work with lightning arrow so don't look to increase that.

• Options

Definitely at least good 3-property jewel for any fire/burn based builds... it might also be an amazing jewel for all these Brutus' Lead Sprinkler nonsense builds people are running with Molten Strike, though I don't know how much they care about burn damage. I'd price it at a couple exalts (2-3?) and leave it up for a bit.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I need to refine my speed mapping skills. I gotta generate some currency to afford several of the remaining expensive pieces for my gladiator build.

One thing I need is a good rapier type weapon. I have a 250 pdps one that I was able to craft crit chance on but I'd have to slam it to get attack speed, which just isn't worth it since it's not THAT good. So it has its base 1.6 AS and it's just shy of 7% crit. I have have a decently rolled Scaeva, so I guess I can manage for now between the two.

Was also contemplating buying a corrupted level 3 enlighten so I can add arctic armour in to the mix.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    So I beat a pretty easy invasion boss and got Mon'Tregul's, Ahn's Heritage and Oro's Sacrifice.

Weird. Weeeiiird.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    I was trying some go-fast mapping and had a Shavronne's wrappings drop from some random enemy. For some reason I thought that those only dropped from Shav herself or her clones in maps, but apparently not? Maybe that's just the cards.

Biggest money item that I've found so far though.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

It's a little of column A and a little of column B. With the added slice that the guy you're talking might just be an ignorant asshole.
    Default to assumption A and make it clear what you're offering. B comes in if the other guy wants something a little different than what you thought and how dead set you are on arguing the point (*erherm* I mean, how willing you are to engage in Socratic debate).
    The third thing comes into play when any of this breaks down and you're left feeling worse than you started with nothing to show for it.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Yuck, died three times on a rare Arsenal. This game just bodyslams you the instant you get too big for your britches.

• Options
    I know it's softcore, so it doesn't REALLY count (economy/mindset/etc.) but this is still an achievement I'm proud of

nZpJteL.jpg

• Options
    90 is an achievement regardless of league, congrats!

Bought my Uber Atziri and Shaper kills earlier today, just 1 more and I'll have my portal.

• Options
    Anyone know how Vaal Temple trio compares to Uber Atziri trio? I did my first vaal temple the other day with 200% added ele damage (I died twice) and completing it made me wonder if I could do Uber Atziri. I've never even attempted uber so I'm a bit scared to spend the currency even trying.

• Options
    I don't know if any base stats are changed, but Alluring Abyss is a level 80 zone while Vaal Temple is a level 82. Alluring Abyss has double monster damage and life though.

• Options
    Ah I didn't know about the double hp and damage, I might not be able to handle that.