As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, in Australia you weren't supposed to have more than twenty dollars at any time on you when delivering pizza.

It was however the job of the person on the phone to ask if they were paying with a fifty.

Blake T on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Today my coworker has taken to helping me by correcting me mid sentence while reading a passage.

My great grandchildren are going to be born with an eye twitch.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am pretty depressed now. I was talking to a teacher about a student who is never here and we ended up looking at the grade book for students at the bottom of the class ranking.

It is a picture of students giving up in number format.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I think it was the Little Caesars founder who was seen as the patron saint of Detroit? He passed recently (heard about it because he owned several Detroit sports teams) and there was a lot of talk about how he was one of the best sports owners ever, and how much he did for the community.

Mike Ilitch (the Little Caesars founder) was a huge Detroit booster. Moved his HQ downtown, fixed up an old theater to make it a cultural venue again again, yes also to owning the sports teams but he intentionally kept them downtown even when all the other sports owners were trying to move them to suburbs or more profitable cities, built a park, invested in businesses and entire developments while everyone else was fleeing Detroit. The man loved his city even as it was being seen as a symbol of urban decay and worked like crazy to save it.

Also paid Rosa Parks' rent for the last decade of her life, and did it quietly, so people didn't hear about it until years after her death. Since he didn't announce it loud and publicly, he obviously wasn't doing it for attention or kudos. Parks was pretty destitute in her last years so for Ilitch, it was just the right thing to do.

other cool Mike Ilitch thing - he was originally a professional baseball player for one of the Detroit Tigers minor league teams when he suffered a career-ending knee injury, and opened his first pizza place as a post-baseball career. Considering he ended up owning the team he dreamed of playing for, as far as "plan B"s go, his turned out pretty well.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I think it was the Little Caesars founder who was seen as the patron saint of Detroit? He passed recently (heard about it because he owned several Detroit sports teams) and there was a lot of talk about how he was one of the best sports owners ever, and how much he did for the community.

Mike Ilitch (the Little Caesars founder) was a huge Detroit booster. Moved his HQ downtown, fixed up an old theater to make it a cultural venue again again, yes also to owning the sports teams but he intentionally kept them downtown even when all the other sports owners were trying to move them to suburbs or more profitable cities, built a park, invested in businesses and entire developments while everyone else was fleeing Detroit. The man loved his city even as it was being seen as a symbol of urban decay and worked like crazy to save it.

Also paid Rosa Parks' rent for the last decade of her life, and did it quietly, so people didn't hear about it until years after her death. Since he didn't announce it loud and publicly, he obviously wasn't doing it for attention or kudos. Parks was pretty destitute in her last years so for Ilitch, it was just the right thing to do.

other cool Mike Ilitch thing - he was originally a professional baseball player for one of the Detroit Tigers minor league teams when he suffered a career-ending knee injury, and opened his first pizza place as a post-baseball career. Considering he ended up owning the team he dreamed of playing for, as far as "plan B"s go, his turned out pretty well.

He never did get that championship though, even after the huge push the Tigers made to build up a championship team in the late 2000s :c

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    On the upside I just checked and found I still have all my photos from February onwards on my laptop, so I've only lost the stuff from January which wasn't much. So that is a HUGE relief if still not ideal. I can redo all the work, I can't retake the photos.

I just found my January photos in the December 2016 folder. So hooray for past me being disorganised I guess.

It's still a pain that I have to buy a new drive but I am sooo much less angry knowing I still have all my photos. God I wish our internet was good enough to do cloud backups.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Security work is the scientific method, but you keep looping back to hypothesis from experiment, and never get a good theory.

Mobile patrol is constant experimenting and never getting time to process the data.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    On the upside I just checked and found I still have all my photos from February onwards on my laptop, so I've only lost the stuff from January which wasn't much. So that is a HUGE relief if still not ideal. I can redo all the work, I can't retake the photos.

I just found my January photos in the December 2016 folder. So hooray for past me being disorganised I guess.

It's still a pain that I have to buy a new drive but I am sooo much less angry knowing I still have all my photos. God I wish our internet was good enough to do cloud backups.

This reminds me of the time where I thought OneDrive ate half my music collection and spent hours trying to meticulously restore everything from the recycle bin. Weeks later I discovered the original files in a random subfolder I almost never access, so I clearly made some incredibly dumb drag-and-drop mistake.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The "there's no such thing as perfection" is such a bullshit conceit. Oh, the maximum grade is now 98 instead of 100? Congratulations, you just made 98 a perfect score. Except the system doesn't recognize it so really you're just operating on a separate scale because you don't understand math or relative relationships.

Pssh... No such thing as perfection?

Have they seen Beyonce?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Someone ordered an iPhone and had it shipped to me.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with this.

We have a slight communication problem at this company.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Tox wrote: »
    And also if you're a driver for Papa John's and you get robbed and they get more than like $20-30 (I forget the number, less than $50) you're fired because company policy is you shouldn't have that much cash on you

Dominos and Pizza Hut also have a similar policy.

At the Movie Theater the policy (and hilirious video) was that if someone comes up to a manager or concession stand and demands money, give it to them and also if opening the safe do your code plus the digit +1 (so if your code is 2588 you'd 2589) as this would set the silent alarm off. Now if you were in the ticket booth, you have bulletproff glass around you, so its safest to just crouch down and radio your manager. Which seems like a good way to get your manager shot.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

Use it as an effigy for voodoo on the Mac machines at work. Instead of a dead chicken you wave that over the afflicted machine.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Use it as an effigy for voodoo on the Mac machines at work. Instead of a dead chicken you wave that over the afflicted machine.

That reminds me about the old joke regarding SCSI cables requiring three terminations - the near side, the far side, and the goat, terminated with a silver knife over the cable.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular

If I sacrifice it to the Apple gods, will they stop designing their new machines in a way that forces me to buy 1000 dongles, and pay $500 more than I'd like to?

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Okay, resume and portfolio sent.

I am a bundle of nerves and self-doubt.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Hahahahahahaha

We just spent 20 minutes troubleshooting our teacher's bluetooth speaker. Finally a guy from the Spanish class knocked on the door

"Uh, are you guys trying to listen to Chinese? It's really confusing our class."

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    And also if you're a driver for Papa John's and you get robbed and they get more than like $20-30 (I forget the number, less than $50) you're fired because company policy is you shouldn't have that much cash on you

Man fuck Papa John's

It is, in theory, a safety issue. You getting robbed of that much money makes other drivers inherently less safe, they look like better targets now. In ages bygone if a driver got robbed of less than $20, corporate policy was to make sure the amount was published, since that made their drivers seem like bad targets.

But also Papa John's was the first pizza company to reclass their drivers as tip-credit so they didn't have to give them raises like ~10 years ago. They didn't want to bump them from $6.55 to $7.25. Managers in the stores generally supported the idea, because drivers were already making as much as most managers were (factoring in tips but not salary bonuses). Now drivers make ~$5 and managers still make like maybe $40k, plus bonus (store general managers, every one else is in-store is hourly and probably doesn't clear $18/hr most places).

Yeah I spent a lot of time working for PJs over the years, I know some shit

What if someone paid for their pizzas in cash? Could pretty easily get over $50 in a single delivery.

Thats ok, your suppose to take it right back to the store and drop the cash before moving on.

• Options

If I sacrifice it to the Apple gods, will they stop designing their new machines in a way that forces me to buy 1000 dongles, and pay $500 more than I'd like to?

Only one way to find out.

• Options
    Just to show how sad/stagnant the company I work for can be, there has been no job posting since December. Jobs are becoming available, and are being filled (externally usually) but no one is posting anything on our corporate job site

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Just to show how sad/stagnant the company I work for can be, there has been no job posting since December. Jobs are becoming available, and are being filled (externally usually) but no one is posting anything on our corporate job site

That sounds more corrupt/nepotistic.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's employee appreciation week

... I have been busy as hell and am working through my lunch right now.

• Options
    I am at the point where I would be willing to get a job elsewhere, even entry level, as long as it paid enough that I didn't need to work 2 jobs, but even with 2 years of IT experience, on top of my 6 years of management experience, I seem to fall short of whats available in my area.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Lord save me from these hordes of barbarians

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    A bunch of things happened at once just now. Had to be in a classroom to teach research, a student needed change for a book fine and there was no change, and the printer suddenly decided to continuously print the same document over and over no matter how many times it was canceled. Ran into the IT guy and told him quickly about the printer then booked it to the classroom after managing to break a $20 into smaller bills using three different people.

Came back to the library and the printer was still broken and the IT guy had just bailed for the day.

Yup yup yup.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Nothing says employee appreciation like making them work harder...

• Options
    Look if you're going to try and get the computer fairy to touch cold iron you have to make it promise to do so three times. That's just basic.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda not sure how my work situation is. It's my last month, as far as I know, but at least three different people have said some variation of first "I've recommended that you be kept on" and then "some people just don't know a good thing when they have it".

Today someone in a higher up position tried very hard to wink when she said that it was my "last month" but then also suggested that I make sure I didn't work too much from home, that it would help me to be visible. Which is very mixed messages, I feel.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Nothing says employee appreciation like making them work harder...

As long as you appreciate their hard work, it's fine.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    so I finally found a bio job

well, paid internship, but

on the assumption this National Forest research permit clears I will be working out of the basement of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History from early June-mid August

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    So when those dinosaur bones start coming to life you'll warn us right?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    eh, if they can get through the labyrinth of halls in between, then I've got you covered

gonna be mostly doing genetics work on Virginia amphibians

• Options
    Find Tesla's research and unleash Atomic Robo.

• Options
    Dammit, I'm a biologist, not an engineer

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

So train a salamander and use it to steal the research, duh.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

So train a salamander and use it to steal the research, duh.

And thus the origin of Dr. Dinosaur.

• Options
    open the door, get on the floor

oh dammit my trained Plethodon punctatus just scurried under a table and has no interest in coming out

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Look if you're going to try and get the computer fairy to touch cold iron you have to make it promise to do so three times. That's just basic.

Fuck printers basically.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Don't fuck printers.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Welp I had a BBQ lunch

and now I'm slowly drifting into a pleasant coma

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Don't fuck printers.

What are you, the Space Pope?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
This discussion has been closed.