As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I picked up a couple of old servers for free a while back, one is an ancient Pentium 4 based rig that I mainly only grabbed for the case and the once a year period when I need IDE compatibility for some legacy hardware.

The other is a Xeon 3075 with 6GB of RAM and two 80GB mechanical drives in RAID 1. I threw a $30 R7 240 into it so I'd have HDMI output in case it ever has any issues that can't be fixed remotely and it works fine for when I occasionally spin up a Minecraft server or whatever. Really the only significant issue it has is storage space, at some point I'll grab a cheap 240GB SSD or something and throw it in there. Game servers generally don't require much in the way of muscle, the main components that will matter will be RAM (more is better), storage (more and faster is better), and most importantly your upload speeds. The Xeon CPU in my server is literally just an old rebadged Core 2 Duo E6700 that has support for multiple CPU systems and it's a champ.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, finally ran Cinebench on the computer, and got 1664 with it overclocked to 4GHz on 1.4V.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @NEO|Phyte I'll echo what @SmokeStacks said above. Depending on what you mean by, "old," if the computer can run Win7 and you can give it a decent amount of storage/RAM, then you're set. If it's a desktop, look into spending some money on a newer NIC versus using the onboard networking chip.

I remember watching a vid a few years back about how to turn an old computer into a home server. I can try to dig that up if you want.

For perspective, I've read about people who have used RaspberryPi's (with hard drives attached) as game servers / NAS devices.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Boo! I think my water pump shit the bed last night. Left it running all night as I was uploading a video to YouTube. Woke up at 4 am and heard some weird noise coming from my pc. Open up the side panel and there was this horrendous high pitched noise coming from the pump. My cpu was idling at 80 degrees for who knows how long....
    Going to contact EKWB after work, but it's under warranty and they have awesome customer service so I'm not super worried about that.

I am worried that my cpu life might be shit now as it was running between 80 to 90 degrees for up to 8 hours....

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Boo! I think my water pump shit the bed last night. Left it running all night as I was uploading a video to YouTube. Woke up at 4 am and heard some weird noise coming from my pc. Open up the side panel and there was this horrendous high pitched noise coming from the pump. My cpu was idling at 80 degrees for who knows how long....
    Going to contact EKWB after work, but it's under warranty and they have awesome customer service so I'm not super worried about that.

I am worried that my cpu life might be shit now as it was running between 80 to 90 degrees for up to 8 hours....

Nah, probably fine. Thermal throttling doesn't start until like 95C most of the time, I think. Pretty sure the CPUs in notebook computers regularly run at that temp.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »

If it was hot enough to damage the processor, your machine would have shut itself off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    yeah 80-90c is fine for 8h I wouldn't worry

I remember you (Bloodycow) making post a few days ago about hearing air cycling through your pump? Maybe that happening enough times caused the pump to fail?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    When I was running my stress tests by the end of them, the temps were up around 80c.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Figured out what failed on my EKWB Predator 240. The line in going to the pump has fucking plastic threads on the pump. They failed last night and the hose kinda came out of the threads a tiny bit.

Enough that it slowly leaked half the coolant out and the pump was running at max with no fluid going through the damn thing.

Tried to tighten the hose back into the pump, it turns, gets tight, then just pops out of the threads.

Why the hell you would make that integral part of the system out of plastic is beyond me. We will see what EK says on Monday.

Already put the stock 1080 Ti cooler back on and now to drive to St Louis and buy a cpu air cooler to tide me over until they replace it for me (hopefully as it's still under warranty).

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    yeah 80-90c is fine for 8h I wouldn't worry

I remember you (Bloodycow) making post a few days ago about hearing air cycling through your pump? Maybe that happening enough times caused the pump to fail?

Yeah, I'm guessing that the threads on the pump had already failed and air was getting in at that point. I didn't notice the fluid pooling up at the bottom of my pc case as I haven't opened it in a while.

I'm just happy that I had it mounted at the front of my PC so it just leaked through the case onto my desk and didn't get any components wet and ruin my PC.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit. Yeah I guess with coolant leaking everywhere only the pump dying as a result isn't too bad.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So, I've been looking at building a desk and I've been thinking about wanting to include a few features into the desk, just as nice to haves. Would love suggestions from you guys.
    So far I've thought about USB hub, audio volume control and a line in/headphone out type thing that if headphone isn't plugged in it outputs to speakers. Also LED lights, to make the desk run faster.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    So, I've been looking at building a desk and I've been thinking about wanting to include a few features into the desk, just as nice to haves. Would love suggestions from you guys.
    So far I've thought about USB hub, audio volume control and a line in/headphone out type thing that if headphone isn't plugged in it outputs to speakers. Also LED lights, to make the desk run faster.

I don't know if it's feasible in your own personal build, but my next desk will 100% be a convertible sit/stand desk.

You might consider including the ability to raise and lower at least the keyboard/mouse and monitor levels.

And your LED lights need to be programmable for mood, otherwise you run the risk of underheating the ambiance. :+1:

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    If you're planning to put in a PC alcove, cut some 80mm fan holes for push/pull ventilation.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Cable management. For the love of God include somewhere to hide route usb/dvi/hdmi/etc cables.

My desk would look more organized if it was a rat king.

• Options
    Yeah going to do a standing desk set up. Also making sure I have space for cable management routes.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I would make sure that anything you're adding it is super easy to take out/replace. Especially something like a USB hub. Those things die/become obsolete/etc, and since i assume this desk will likely outlive several computers, make sure all of those things are replacable.

Specifically to the USB hub, if you're going with a powered hub that also can charge things, ensure there's at least some kind of ventilation/air flow. Those things can get unexpectedly hot in enclosed spaces.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Shit sakes. Can't get my 1080 pic to load

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I would make sure that anything you're adding it is super easy to take out/replace. Especially something like a USB hub. Those things die/become obsolete/etc, and since i assume this desk will likely outlive several computers, make sure all of those things are replacable.

Specifically to the USB hub, if you're going with a powered hub that also can charge things, ensure there's at least some kind of ventilation/air flow. Those things can get unexpectedly hot in enclosed spaces.

Yeah, have been mulling this over for a while. Its either build it into the desk or build an external box, sort of like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpXOvjavjWc

Minus quite a few features though.

Radiation on
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I've come into some money to build a new PC but I've only done this once before. That was seven or so years ago so I'm a bit behind on things.

I found this build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ChsJ7P.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    I've come into some money to build a new PC but I've only done this once before. That was seven or so years ago so I'm a bit behind on things.

Bump it up to 2x8GB DDR4 instead of 1x8GB. Otherwise it's great.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Is this a place I can ask about monitors?

Cause my monitor kind of died this morning. Get a quick flicker of a screen then went to black, rest of the machine was fine. Tested my friends monitor, works fine. "Borrowing" it until he wakes up.

My main caveat is I need to be able to go out and pick this up in a store which is a bit of an annoyance but I've gotta give this panel back later and I NEED to have a new monitor ready for work tomorrow. I'm in the market for a 1440p upgrade I think as I've been using 1080p for years(and my recent upgrade to a 1070 probably warrants a better monitor). Hoping to... not spend more money than my entire machine cost me, so something sub $500 would be good. I'm doing my own footwork here mind you, looking through store websites and such just wanted to know if people had any recommendations.

Edit:

Forgot to mention usage. I game with the monitor obviously, in fact something with multiple HDMI ports would be ideal so my PS4 can be hooked up to it as well. However I also work using it, I'm a graphic designer.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Having to go pick it up makes telling you what to get hard. Best idea is to tell us the options if you really need to do that.

Personally as long as it'll show a picture I think you'd be happy with anything that wasn't outright defective, but some people are pickier.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'd say since you use it for graphic design, go to your local shop you are buying from, find the monitors that say they are "IPS", get the largest one from that selection that you can afford.

Whatever you get from that list will be fine for gaming.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Arthil wrote: »
    Is this a place I can ask about monitors?

Cause my monitor kind of died this morning. Get a quick flicker of a screen then went to black, rest of the machine was fine. Tested my friends monitor, works fine. "Borrowing" it until he wakes up.

My main caveat is I need to be able to go out and pick this up in a store which is a bit of an annoyance but I've gotta give this panel back later and I NEED to have a new monitor ready for work tomorrow. I'm in the market for a 1440p upgrade I think as I've been using 1080p for years(and my recent upgrade to a 1070 probably warrants a better monitor). Hoping to... not spend more money than my entire machine cost me, so something sub $500 would be good. I'm doing my own footwork here mind you, looking through store websites and such just wanted to know if people had any recommendations.

Edit:

Forgot to mention usage. I game with the monitor obviously, in fact something with multiple HDMI ports would be ideal so my PS4 can be hooked up to it as well. However I also work using it, I'm a graphic designer.

What brick and mortar stores do you have near you? Frys, Microcenter, bestbuy, etc. and zipcode so I can look through store stock :)

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

I would not recommend the M.2 drive since they can get pretty hot and the M.2 slot on that motherboard is right under the graphics card. Either get a motherboard with the M.2 in a different position or just get a 2.5" SSD drive.

• Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I was able to snag a 1080 ti MSI Armor from newegg a few days ago.

Turns out there are reports surfacing of this card not being cooled well enough. Has anyone heard about this? Also, what constitutes an "ok" temperature for a GPU to run at? I don't plan on overclocking this card at all.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Mace1370 wrote: »

Turns out there are reports surfacing of this card not being cooled well enough. Has anyone heard about this? Also, what constitutes an "ok" temperature for a GPU to run at? I don't plan on overclocking this card at all.

80 or below under load.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I have a 1080 ti founders. I used EVGA XOC software to overclock it, just using the stock blower cooler.

I managed a 150mhz gpu overclock (boost takes it to ~2050 mhz) and 550mhz 508Mhz memory overclock. The temps seems to max out at 69c which i am totally fine with. The noise is a bit much though. At least i can barely hear it over my headphones.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I have a 1080 ti founders. I used EVGA XOC software to overclock it, just using the stock blower cooler.

I managed a 150mhz gpu overclock (boost takes it to ~2050 mhz) and 550mhz memory overclock. The temps seems to max out at 69c which i am totally fine with. The noise is a bit much though. At least i can barely hear it over my headphones.

Holy fuck. Won the silicon lottery you did.

• Options
    Yeah, no kidding. I've got my 980Ti at +51 core, and I was pretty happy with that.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    gpu or memory overclocks any higher than that and I started to get strange artifacts on benchmarking tests

I never managed to get temps that were out of control though

My 7700k is the total opposite though. I haven't even overclocked it (just the boost to 4.5 Ghz) and the temps, with a h100i AIO cooler, are really high. So high that I am not even willing to attempt overclocks on it right now. Playing MEA, i get temps as high as 89C. Diablo 3 just now, 73C. Benchmark tests go into the 90C's.

Like I wonder if I didn't install the cooler properly or something but this seems to line up with what other people are experiencing.

I ordered a delidding tool and some liquid metal thermal compound, so I am going down that rabbit hole. I have a pretty high level of confidence that I won't break the CPU but I can afford to get a new one if I do fuck it up. Normally I wouldn't even consider such a drastic action but there are so many reports of like 20C better temps after a delidding, and considering how high my temps are getting now......

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

80 or below under load.

Hm, that's concerning. A lot of people are reporting temperatures into the mid or high 80s.

I have a hard time separating out those who are overclocking vs. not, though. I can get people being upset at not being able to OC this card, but that's not what I intend for it. I just want to run it out of the box. I assume if it stays under 80 for me it is worth keeping, then?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    overclocking my card allows me to keep 60 FPS at 4K ultra settings, with full antialiasing, in MEA multiplayer most of the time. it does drop down though. Before the overclock I was getting 50-55 FPS.

I seem to get lower frame rates in single player which I guess makes sense, bigger environments and stuff.

----

If your card stays under 80C at any load I would be happy with that for sure

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Also, noob question. What is the best program to monitor the temperature of my GPU? I assume afterburner?

• Options
    Also, noob question. What is the best program to monitor the temperature of my GPU? I assume afterburner?

Afterburner is fine since you'll likely want to run it anyway to do the OC and customize your fan profile.

• Options
    Sweet, thanks for the help guys.

• Options
    I used EVGA XOC but it accomplishes the same task as MSI Afterburner, use either one.

Note that you don't need to have the same brand of card to use those programs.

HWmonitor also can be used to monitor gpu temperature, as well as other system parameters.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Ok, so follow up question. What is the best way to test this card "under load"? Just boot up a game? And how long should I run a test to make sure that the card can sustain a certain temperature for several hours?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    Running a game for a while is good as long as you have some method to record what the highest temps/other parameters are during your gaming session. I use HWMonitor for this, as it records the highest observed value for parameters while it is running. It is easy to reset its observations so you can do a fresh test.

There might be something more convenient to use, or something that can give you more information. I find the graphical trends on EVGA XOC are useful but could be better. I'm used to having very detailed graphical trends at my job so I have a high level of expectation :P

I used unigine heaven and rog realbench as well. rog realbench does several different benchmarks but the "open CL" one will utilize your graphics card

This discussion has been closed.