Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Hey guys. I was able to snag a 1080 ti MSI Armor from newegg a few days ago.

Turns out there are reports surfacing of this card not being cooled well enough. Has anyone heard about this? Also, what constitutes an "ok" temperature for a GPU to run at? I don't plan on overclocking this card at all.

80 or below under load.

Hm, that's concerning. A lot of people are reporting temperatures into the mid or high 80s.

I have a hard time separating out those who are overclocking vs. not, though. I can get people being upset at not being able to OC this card, but that's not what I intend for it. I just want to run it out of the box. I assume if it stays under 80 for me it is worth keeping, then?

Technically the chips are designed to operate without damage at temperatures close to 100c. The cards will throttle hard at 90 and will turn themselves off at 95. You won't damage the card accidentally with an overclock. Myself and a bunch of other people recommend keeping temps ~80 or lower for stability reasons though. I've found that artifacting and driver stability problems tend to start happening at temperatures above 80 so I keep my cards below that threshold.
    Al_wat wrote: »
    gpu or memory overclocks any higher than that and I started to get strange artifacts on benchmarking tests

I never managed to get temps that were out of control though

This is a really normal result for cards with good cooling setups. GPU temperature is primarily a function of voltage, not clock rate. GPU voltage is set by the firmware and can't easily be overclocked on it's own, so stability thresholds being hit before thermal thresholds when overclocking gpus with a good cooler is the norm.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ok, so follow up question. What is the best way to test this card "under load"? Just boot up a game? And how long should I run a test to make sure that the card can sustain a certain temperature for several hours?

3dmark has a stress test mode. Just endlessly loops.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    LD50 wrote: »

Turns out there are reports surfacing of this card not being cooled well enough. Has anyone heard about this? Also, what constitutes an "ok" temperature for a GPU to run at? I don't plan on overclocking this card at all.

80 or below under load.

Hm, that's concerning. A lot of people are reporting temperatures into the mid or high 80s.

I have a hard time separating out those who are overclocking vs. not, though. I can get people being upset at not being able to OC this card, but that's not what I intend for it. I just want to run it out of the box. I assume if it stays under 80 for me it is worth keeping, then?

Technically the chips are designed to operate without damage at temperatures close to 100c. The cards will throttle hard at 90 and will turn themselves off at 95. You won't damage the card accidentally with an overclock. Myself and a bunch of other people recommend keeping temps ~80 or lower for stability reasons though. I've found that artifacting and driver stability problems tend to start happening at temperatures above 80 so I keep my cards below that threshold.
    gpu or memory overclocks any higher than that and I started to get strange artifacts on benchmarking tests

This is a really normal result for cards with good cooling setups. GPU temperature is primarily a function of voltage, not clock rate. GPU voltage is set by the firmware and can't easily be overclocked on it's own, so stability thresholds being hit before thermal thresholds when overclocking gpus with a good cooler is the norm.

yeah, I'm not too experienced with overclocking. GPUs especially. But I think what is actually holding me back is the power limiter at 120%. If I could go beyond that I bet my card could handle it.

I think some aftermarket cards will have higher power limits.

am I right in assuming that ultimately the power limit is preventing the card from having higher voltages?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Also: Mess with your fan curves. The default fan curves kick the fan in too late IMO.

• Options

80 or below under load.

yeah, I'm not too experienced with overclocking. GPUs especially. But I think what is actually holding me back is the power limiter at 120%. If I could go beyond that I bet my card could handle it.

I think some aftermarket cards will have higher power limits.

am I right in assuming that ultimately the power limit is preventing the card from having higher voltages?

Yes. The firmware will only deliver up to 2 volts or something close to that IIRC. In your case you need more voltage to increase your stability but the firmware won't deliver that power. It's possible to flash the firmware to one that will let you deliver more voltage but that's a bit of an involved process that I don't recommend doing unless you have one of the cards with dual BIOS and a failover switch.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I probably won't mess with any of that.

At least not right now.

I mean I could have a fit of madness later and want to start tweaking

• Options
    Another recommendation: Don't stop monitoring your temps, especially if you're overclocking. Dust is a thing, and as the card gets older the thermal paste/TIM won't perform as well. It's better to find out that you need to clean out your card because you saw your temps creeping up than it is to find out because your card is overheating and your games are crashing.

Also, as a bit of card maintenance down the road: Removing the coolers and applying fresh thermal paste is easy. Much easier than most people expect (IMO it's easier than removing/attaching a cpu cooler). If your card is older and not performing thermally as well as it used to, some fresh thermal paste and a deep dedusting of the heatsink can breathe a bit of life into an old card.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Hey dudes.

Sorry for not responding to any of the suggestions, threw some towards some peeps in Discord and got a major "GETITGETITGETIN" for this one : https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Ultrasharp-U2415-24-0-Inch/dp/B01M0LDXTL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491211406&sr=8-2&keywords=Dell+IPS&th=1

Friend has one and has recommended it left and right previously. Good find since at Best Buy it was either that one, or another 27" Dell with GSync that was a whopping $700. I've always been using 1080p, and even then on an old brick of a monitor(whereas with this thing the screen weighs nothing and the stand has all the weight). Looks amazing... I could tell the difference when playing WoW and FFXIV immediately, and really the 2560x1440 didn't mess with my ability to read text as much as I thought. It was a bit of an annoyance getting everything hooked up with how my setup is, though now that I've got it where I want it I can just swivel the thing vertically to get to the ports.

Discord text is tiny though :bigfrown:

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I have a 1080 ti founders. I used EVGA XOC software to overclock it, just using the stock blower cooler.

I managed a 150mhz gpu overclock (boost takes it to ~2050 mhz) and 550mhz 508Mhz memory overclock. The temps seems to max out at 69c which i am totally fine with. The noise is a bit much though. At least i can barely hear it over my headphones.

Yeah I managed to get mine to 172mhz on the core and 375 on the memory (memory does not like being any higher then that) I get temps in the low 50's on water. Never seen it go above 56 degrees. Though now my stock cooler is back on while I wait for a replacement radiator.

I was surprised at how high the core got. I did get it to bench at 180, but it would start to artifact after about 30 minutes of benching.

@Al_wat My Zotac card will push itself to 131% power even though the limiter on their software will only let me go to 120. Maybe I just got lucky and this is out of the norm.

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Hey dudes.

Sorry for not responding to any of the suggestions, threw some towards some peeps in Discord and got a major "GETITGETITGETIN" for this one : https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Ultrasharp-U2415-24-0-Inch/dp/B01M0LDXTL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491211406&sr=8-2&keywords=Dell+IPS&th=1

Friend has one and has recommended it left and right previously. Good find since at Best Buy it was either that one, or another 27" Dell with GSync that was a whopping $700. I've always been using 1080p, and even then on an old brick of a monitor(whereas with this thing the screen weighs nothing and the stand has all the weight). Looks amazing... I could tell the difference when playing WoW and FFXIV immediately, and really the 2560x1440 didn't mess with my ability to read text as much as I thought. It was a bit of an annoyance getting everything hooked up with how my setup is, though now that I've got it where I want it I can just swivel the thing vertically to get to the ports.

Discord text is tiny though :bigfrown:

I was going to recommend that Dell myself (I assume you mean the S2716dg) which I'm currently using and love. The retail price is a bit ridiculous because of g-sync, but it often goes on sale for ~$550 or less.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The one he linked doesn't have G-Sync. It *appears* it's the same panel, though.

@Arthil looks like you're covered now, but I was going to recommend you get a sub-$200 monitor to hold you over while you order something proper online; then just return the cheapo monitor.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    my 1080 is too long for most cases and it makes me sad

I wanted to build one of those slick portable cases

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Just cut a bit off the end.

• Options
    Breakout cable?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Cut a hole in the case and have the end of the card sticking out. Then paint "Kilroy Was Here" around it, with the end of the card as the nose.

• Options
    There was a picture of someone who had cut a hole in their case to fit a big card posted to reddit awhile ago.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

The NCASE M1 will fit some 1080 cards, there's a list here

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    There was a picture of someone who had cut a hole in their case to fit a big card posted to reddit awhile ago.

All this just to get people to search for glory holes?

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

The NCASE M1 will fit some 1080 cards, there's a list here

I wanted something more like this:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139052

Which I guess they don't make anymore?

Also my GPU is apparently 298mm

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    looks like that corsair fits 300mm video cards but just barely.

Still, shame, that's like the perfect case for me.

I wonder if I could take the GPU cooling fans off and change them to something that gives me 10 mm.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    looks like that corsair fits 300mm video cards but just barely.

Still, shame, that's like the perfect case for me.

I wonder if I could take the GPU cooling fans off and change them to something that gives me 10 mm.

hey wait a minute

isn't that ideal? no more having your GPU sag because it's so heavy: it's held up on both sides now!

(there really should be an update to the ATX/PCIe standards to establish fixed card lengths and support brackets for the other side of cards)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    The issue with the corsair case is it's hard to close and it rests on something that could potentially damage it.

• Options
    "You can make anything fit if you're a good enough modder."
    -- Ben Franklin

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    "Don't bother to overclock your RAM unless you're really pushing a gaming rig to the limit."
    Nikola Tesla, probably

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Ok, so follow up question. What is the best way to test this card "under load"? Just boot up a game? And how long should I run a test to make sure that the card can sustain a certain temperature for several hours?

Furmark is one of the best programs for GPU burnin and benchmarking.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    'I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.' Charles Babbage

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    "One death is a tragedy. A thousand is a statistic." Yosef Jughashvili.

(He didn't actually say that, contrary to legend. It's from a play.)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." --Abraham Lincoln

Also, how have I never see Casually Explained before? Holy shit.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    First build question. I just put everything together and it seems ok, but something obviously went wrong. All the fans and LEDs power on, the USB is providing power to the mouse and keyboard, but the monitor has no signal from both the GPU HDMI or the Motherboard's. My first guess is I screwed up the mobo, but wondering if it might mean something else.

• Options
    Can you swap cables? (Is the monitor plugged in and turned on?)

Can you connect anything else to the monitor? Like a game console or other PC?

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Well I feel dumb, the RAM wasn't pushed all the way in, removed one stick and it booted, put it back in with more force and currently installign win10 :)

Thanks for the help anyways Santa.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    First build question. I just put everything together and it seems ok, but something obviously went wrong. All the fans and LEDs power on, the USB is providing power to the mouse and keyboard, but the monitor has no signal from both the GPU HDMI or the Motherboard's. My first guess is I screwed up the mobo, but wondering if it might mean something else.

Did you plug in the cpu power connector?

LD50 on
  • Options
    All things being equal (as in, everything is in proper working condition), a PC doesn't boot or boot properly because something isn't plugged in correctly.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ok, I realize this isn't a general PC help thread but I figure this thread gets the most traffic in Moe's and you're all well informed people.

I recently got an older Sony Vaio laptop from the Core 2 Duo era and I got it all set up with Windows 7 and drivers, but I think I'm having a problem with the GPU. It's a dedicated ATi Mobility HD 3470 which is supposed to have 256MB dedicated VRAM, but I think it's using system RAM because my RAM usage is always very high and Speccy sees the card as having 1.5GB VRAM.

Is there a reliable way to check if the system is allocating RAM to the discrete GPU? I don't even believe that's possible with this chip but I can't see another obvious RAM hog in task manager. I tried Google but I didn't find any useful info.

jgeis on
  • Options
    I don't think it's using RAM, but instead a slice of the HDD like a pagefile.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    And if it is you want it to do so anyway. It'll need all the help it can get.

I don't know a way to actually check the details, though.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    1080 Ti in stock from Amazon and Best Buy at normal prices for those of you interested. Amazon seems to only have a handful left.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
This discussion has been closed.