As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Are powered external hard drives faster than unpowered ones ?

I'm thinking of getting a USB 3 external hard drive for my Xbox One, and I'm not sure if drives with their own power supply are any faster than ones powered via the USB.

It has more to do with the speed of the actual disk in the enclosure. Look for a 7200 rpm one if you're concerned about speed.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Looking at picking up my motherboard Next week and trying to decide between the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon or the Gigabyte AORUS AX370 Gaming K7 for my Ryzen build.
    I'll be using the X52 Kraken to cool and want a all black board aesthetically for the build.
    Any thoughts?
    MSI X370 Gaming Pro
    Gigabyte AORUS AX370 Gaming K7

Also what's the go with RGB Memory compatibility and Ryzen these days?

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I'm getting super frustrated with my C: drive being my SSD and being CONSTANTLY full of shit because I bought it 6 years ago and its way too small. How much of a pain in the ass would it be for me to swap it out for a much bigger SSD? I'm guessing seeing as my OS is on it, it would be a bit of a nightmare for me

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Do you have your documents/pictures/video folders on another drive? That's a fairly simple way to get a decent amount of space if you don't, you'd just need to get a biggish (ie 2tb+ or so) spindle drive, pop it in and then change the locations of the folders to match. Certainly easier than migrating an OS install.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The companies that sell SSD's all have their own software for cloning drives so it's pretty easy to do.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I'm thinking of getting a USB 3 external hard drive for my Xbox One, and I'm not sure if drives with their own power supply are any faster than ones powered via the USB.

It has more to do with the speed of the actual disk in the enclosure. Look for a 7200 rpm one if you're concerned about speed.

Thanks - now I just need to decide between 2tb or 3tb.

Given how big games are now, and the fact that some games are permanent fixtures, I think 3tb is the way to go.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So, I have the following symptoms, in the order I identified them

1. Computer never goes to sleep, despite power settings telling it to
    2. Games run slower than they should on new machine
    3. When checking task manager for background processes, it reads as 70-95% memory usage, even with nothing running and the largest existing process at ~50mb
    4. Resetting fixes 1-3 (background memory usage drops to <10%.)

My thoughts are that there's probably a software issue, so it's not a big deal especially since it's so easy to fix.

How can I identify the problem if it doesn't appear in task manager? It's clearly something I do frequently, as this happens a lot, so I'll probably get it eventually, but is there another tool I can use? Is this a "memory leak?"

Thanks!

VishNub on
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    So, I have the following symptoms, in the order I identified them

1. Computer never goes to sleep, despite power settings telling it to
    2. Games run slower than they should on new machine
    3. When checking task manager for background processes, it reads as 70-95% memory usage, even with nothing running and the largest existing process at ~50mb
    4. Resetting fixes 1-3 (background memory usage drops to <10%.)

My thoughts are that there's probably a software issue, so it's not a big deal especially since it's so easy to fix.

How can I identify the problem if it doesn't appear in task manager? It's clearly something I do frequently, as this happens a lot, so I'll probably get it eventually, but is there another tool I can use? Is this a "memory leak?"

Thanks!

Run command prompt as administrator and do:
    powercfg -requests

That will tell you what is preventing the machine from sleeping.

What version of windows are you running? Make sure to click the 'show processes from all users' or equivalent button on the task manager.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The last time I saw something similar to this, it was my friend's aging SFF build I did for him. He had an HP printer utility that was not being useful in the least, and was hogging his RAM and just constantly slowing the machine down. To the point it would take 15 minutes minimum to get to a usable desktop. Granted, I identified this rather quickly in Task Manager.

Outside of what @LD50 mentions, also check to see if your AV system/utility is running high-level scans on your files at a high frequency, or possibly that another user account is waiting for an update to be approved/allowed.

It's a long shot, but you can also check whether programs like GeForce Experience or Razer's utility have updates waiting. Also, any other program/utility you may have that regularly polls connected hardware (keyboards, mice, external drives, possibly headsets).

Regarding sleep: my motherboard (Asus) has a utility that allows you to set different power/usage profiles so there could be a small chance that you have some sort of profile set up for, like, "power user" that keeps it from sleeping. I also had issues for a short time where my (Razer) mouse would register an input shortly after I told my computer to sleep, so the computer would instantly wake up. It seemed to fix itself, though, so I'm not sure what the root of the problem was there.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I'm planning on upgrading my videocard, what is considered a good brand for the 1080?

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    I'm planning on upgrading my videocard, what is considered a good brand for the 1080?

I like EVGA usually, they tend to run a little faster and be fairly quiet.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Any of the major brands, really. They all overclock to about the same level to where it's more about the silicone lottery than anything else.

So find the cheapest one with an aesthetic that you can live with and enjoy.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Any difference in noise?

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Some but unless you're ​looking at a blower style card I'm pretty sure they all feature some form of fan stop at idle temps.

• Options
    I'll have a look at all that when I get home, thanks.

I'm the only user, but I'll double check other user processes anyways. It's win 10.

To clarify though, if I restart the computer there is (at least initially) no problem. It's possible that there's a delay before something checks if it wants updates or whatever, or my pet theory is that some application I'm using doesn't close out correctly.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I assume you've done the classics like checking for malware?

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Guts pictures will get posted next week, when I got the second hard drive and finalize the build (need one more case fan as well I think)!
    cpu temps seem to be okay, I only checked while playing Starbound though (topped out at ~50°C). Compared to horror stories of i7 temps I read, that seems fine

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited May 2017
    3clipse wrote: »

I haven't specifically scanned, but my software hasn't pinged at me and IIRC it's supposed to scan daily. I got a notice yesterday saying nothing was found.

Which doesn't mean there's nothing there, of course, but it's a start.

VishNub on
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Would it be worth making a few builds and posting them in the OP for prospective builders? Seems like we get enough questions here about basic builds that it might be worthwhile.

I'd be happy to take a whack at it, if people agree.

As someone who showed up looking for exactly that, it would be greatly appreciated. It seems every 4-5 years I decide to build a new rig and the brick wall of technology changes is always staggering.

am0n on
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular

I haven't specifically scanned, but my software hasn't pinged at me and IIRC it's supposed to scan daily. I got a notice yesterday saying nothing was found.

I really feel like that has to be some software messing with your RAM. Worse comes to worse, just nuke it and reinstall windows. Then install one thing at a time and see if it starts acting weird again after you installed the last program.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    While we're fishing for ideas, can you see if this still happens if you disconnect the ethernet cable? I'm not sure how much this would help, but it may point in the direction of whether or not something is looking for an update.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Would it be worth making a few builds and posting them in the OP for prospective builders? Seems like we get enough questions here about basic builds that it might be worthwhile.

As someone who showed up looking for exactly that, it would be greatly appreciated. It seems every 4-5 years I decide to build a new rig and the brick wall of technology changes is always staggering.

@am0n

https://choosemypc.net/ is not terrible at generating builds based on a budget. Makes it somewhat easier to dive in, imho.

• Options

A screenshot of memory use in resource monitor would be helpful.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Just noticed the price of DDR4 ram has increased again. Is this a trend or will it eventually go back down?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    RAM prices might not drop until 2018. Manufacturers are switching to a new fabrication process and they're running into complications. They're also shifting resources to produce more RAM for mobile devices.

• Options
    And possibly GPU memory. AMD is working on Vega, right?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Buttcleft wrote: »

@am0n

https://choosemypc.net/ is not terrible at generating builds based on a budget. Makes it somewhat easier to dive in, imho.

Thanks. It's pretty close to what a few minutes of searching got me. Right now I have an i5-2500k with a nVidia GTX 680 and 8 GB of RAM. It can play games, but definitely gets bogged down. I don't tend to play much bleeding edge, but even with a couple of hi res mods for Skyrim, fps can dip pretty low. Figuring something like a nvidia 1060, 16 GB of RAM and a new proc would help (not doing anything 4k, but regularl ole' 1080p).

I notice that link is suggesting the i5-6500. Is something like that a solid choice for 1080p gaming, or is an i7 really going to make the world of difference?

Edit: In fact, no matter how much money I want to spend on that website, they only list the i5-6500 and 8 GB of RAM. Am I missing something?

am0n on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular

Given how big games are now, and the fact that some games are permanent fixtures, I think 3tb is the way to go.

One thing to consider, if you get a 3TB, you will have to partition it. Windows will not allow for a primary partition greater than 2 TB. You could save some money buying the 2TB one then buying a cheaper platter drive as a place to store stuff that does not need to be accessed quickly, or just have it mirror the SSD.

• Options
    @am0n you can go as high as Ivy Bridge on your socket (3rd Gen), which could give you a little bit more headroom. If you're willing to add a mild overclock, that could probably get you to a more usable state for various games.

As you noted, the bottleneck is really the video card. I haven't messed with Skyrim, but I suspect you can get by with a 1050 with high RAM if you can't afford the 1060. An i7 isn't going to be a huge difference, and shouldn't really be considered anyway unless you're planning to upgrade the motherboard/socket.

• Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Just noticed the price of DDR4 ram has increased again. Is this a trend or will it eventually go back down?

RAM prices are set by a complicated process involving the phase of the moon, the entrails of a goat, the number of sentient beings consciously observing the internet at any time, and the Movement Of The Great Spheres Through The Ether.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Yoshua wrote: »

One thing to consider, if you get a 3TB, you will have to partition it. Windows will not allow for a primary partition greater than 2 TB. You could save some money buying the 2TB one then buying a cheaper platter drive as a place to store stuff that does not need to be accessed quickly, or just have it mirror the SSD.

Windows (and any other OS) can use a partition larger than 2TB so long as the disk's partition table is GPT instead of MBR. IIRC, the current limit of NTFS is like 256TB.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @am0n you can go as high as Ivy Bridge on your socket (3rd Gen), which could give you a little bit more headroom. If you're willing to add a mild overclock, that could probably get you to a more usable state for various games.

As you noted, the bottleneck is really the video card. I haven't messed with Skyrim, but I suspect you can get by with a 1050 with high RAM if you can't afford the 1060. An i7 isn't going to be a huge difference, and shouldn't really be considered anyway unless you're planning to upgrade the motherboard/socket.

Thanks. I don't mind upgrading the Mobo. It sounds like a solid i5, like the 6500, is more than enough for 1080p gaming, then? I don't need to venture into the i7 realm? What of RAM? That site is limiting it to 8 GB, but I saw a post a few pages back suggesting 16 was a sweet spot. I've done some stuff recently that gets me dangerously close to maxing my 8 GB, so I am assuming that 16 might be a better point for me on a new build.

How does a 1050 compare to a 1060? I saw something saying 3-4 GB of VRAM was a sufficient spot. Do you guys feel that is true, or should I be looking at 6-8 GB of VRAM?

Edit: Video in this link seems to suggest a pretty significant difference between the 1050 and the 1060. https://youtu.be/cGGe3K-Qd2E

am0n on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

That.... is not true at all.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

That.... is not true at all.

It was true for older Windows certainly. But, are we talking Primary or Secondary? I know I have a 4TB installed right now, but can't remember which kind of partition I'm using.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You have to use GPT/GUID partitioning to use > 2TB partition sizes.

This can cause issues with some systems, but Windows 10 and greater should be absolutely fine for this.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yeah that hasn't been true since WinXP 32-bit. XP-64 and everything beyond can use GPT partitioning, which can go up to 16 exabytes.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Thanks. I don't mind upgrading the Mobo. It sounds like a solid i5, like the 6500, is more than enough for 1080p gaming, then? I don't need to venture into the i7 realm? What of RAM? That site is limiting it to 8 GB, but I saw a post a few pages back suggesting 16 was a sweet spot. I've done some stuff recently that gets me dangerously close to maxing my 8 GB, so I am assuming that 16 might be a better point for me on a new build.

How does a 1050 compare to a 1060? I saw something saying 3-4 GB of VRAM was a sufficient spot. Do you guys feel that is true, or should I be looking at 6-8 GB of VRAM?

Edit: Video in this link seems to suggest a pretty significant difference between the 1050 and the 1060. https://youtu.be/cGGe3K-Qd2E

Modern CPUs haven't improved much in the last 5 years, and most games are going to be strictly GPU bound, though 8 gb of RAM is starting to push it too.

Personally I wouldn't upgrade the CPU without jumping to a new mobo, which would mean new RAM and you're basically into new PC territory at that point. Buy yourself a RAM upgrade and a 6gb GTX 1060 or 8gb RX 580, and keep gaming at 1080p for another couple years.

• Options

A 1050 ti would be the bare minimum for 1080p gaming and that would be at medium settings. A 1060 6GB or a RX 580 8GB would do you much better, getting you 1080p at ~60fps in most games in High/Ultra settings. A 1070 will guarantee you greater then 60fps in that scenario and should only be considered if you have the cash to burn or want to eventually go to 1440p gaming. A 1080 will get you ~60+ fps gaming at 1440p and in the high 20's-low 30's for 4k. A 1080ti is for people who want to play at 4k NOW at framerates in the 50's and 60's.

To further complicate things for you though, AMD has new cards to compete with the 1070 and up that are do to come out in the next 2-3 months and Nvidia has a refresh of their current cards in the works and a whole new line sometime next year.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Thanks. So it sounds like your recommendations are basically just throw another 8G of RAM in (not sure the speed of what I have right now), maybe buy an SSD and migrate the OS to that (yeah, don't have an SSD in my desktop, yet), and buy a 1060 or a 1070. Sounds like 1070 may give me a little more bang, but unless I am trying to push 1440p or bleeding edge games (which I am not doing either), the 1060 is probably a better value point (6GB version).

Edit: Another question. Way back when, I would just call M$ when I needed to activate a copy of Windows on a new PC I built, without any issues. Just read into it a bit, and it sounds like if you buy OEM, you may not be able to move the copy of Windows to a new PC (i.e. new motherboard). I haven't had to deal with this for Win10, but if I buy a few things now, and then a new mobo down the road, how difficult will it be to swap my copy of Win10?

Edit2: Also, RE: RAM. At what speed threshold should I consider upgrading the mobo/ram, just for improved performance? I don't know what I am running. Maybe 1333, maybe worse. My understanding is you really want the memory to match as well as possible, correct? So I'd have to try to buy the same stuff I already have in my machine to upgrade?

am0n on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Windows 10 basically locks itself to the hardware ID, I think you get several resets before they won't do it anymore.

But it wouldn't surprise me if that changes, or if you call back enough if they'll still do it for you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.