As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Does Rocksmith work with 3rd party Guitar-USB cables?

Not without using a custom exe that is basically a crack.

And even then it doesn't seem to work that well for most people.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    Does Rocksmith work with 3rd party Guitar-USB cables?

Not without using a custom exe that is basically a crack.

And even then it doesn't seem to work that well for most people.

Yeah, annoying as it is, the RealTone cable is their form of copy protection.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I just recently realized that there is a Tragic lack of Tragically Hip in Rocksmith

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    The DLC for October 3, 2017 is The Four Tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14LywWa8MVg

“I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bernadette” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “It’s The Same Old Song” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Reach Out I’ll Be There” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

This is actually a pretty cool pack and will be going on my wishlist. Sometimes it's nice to have more mellow stuff to play, especially when terrible at guitar.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    The DLC for October 3, 2017 is The Four Tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14LywWa8MVg

“I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bernadette” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “It’s The Same Old Song” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Reach Out I’ll Be There” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

This is actually a pretty cool pack and will be going on my wishlist. Sometimes it's nice to have more mellow stuff to play, especially when terrible at guitar.

Yes, I'll be getting that. Although parts of it looks surprisingly challenging, especially the bass lines.

• Options
    The DLC for October 10, 2017 is 2010s Mix III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msab3_CQF94

“Lips Of An Angel” by Hinder – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “The Funeral” by Band Of Horses – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm; Capo Required – Alt Lead/Alt Rhythm; Eb Standard - Bass
    “Breakaway” by Kelly Clarkson – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

This one's not my cup of tea.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    The DLC for October 10, 2017 is 2010s Mix III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msab3_CQF94

“Lips Of An Angel” by Hinder – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “The Funeral” by Band Of Horses – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm; Capo Required – Alt Lead/Alt Rhythm; Eb Standard - Bass
    “Breakaway” by Kelly Clarkson – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

This one's not my cup of tea.

Yeah, I'll be giving that one a pass.

• Options
    The DLC for October 17, 2017 is Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWR2Wbk2LfA

“You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Let It Ride” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Takin’ Care Of Business” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

This one is a bit of a tough one for me. They look like a lot of fun to play, but thanks to CanCon rules, I don't think it would happen. CanCon was the Canadian Content rule where radio stations in Canada have to play 30% (used to be 50%) of their music from Canadian artists. Every rockish station in Canada has played those songs so many damn time I don't think I could take listening to them enough times to get decent at them.

The rest of your enjoy though!

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    But....but...you ain't SEEN nothing yet!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    gu16l57y7hng.png

• Options
    The DLC for October 24th, 2017 is Variety Pack XII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZBWaA4_yxA

“Through The Fire And Flames” by DragonForce – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Down Under 2012” by Colin Hay of Men At Work – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Send Me On My Way” by Rusted Root – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)” by Elton John – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass

My wrist started hurting just watching the DragonForce track...

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Bonus points for all four being in E standard tuning. I will never, ever, ever, ever be able to do anything with the DragonForce, of course.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Tempted by Dragonforce, just to try it. I've got high 80's on the Rust in Peace Megadeth stuff with my horrid detection, so I think I could probably swing it.

• Options
    Ironically, I got a better rating on DragonForce (rhythm, I hasten to add) than I got on lead for Man Down Under.

• Options
    And just tried one of the DragonForce lead sections for the first time and hahahahahahahahahahahah, no.

Also went and found a YouTube video of them in concert just to confirm that yes, there were people whose fingers could move like that. Interestingly, for some of the faster single-string stuff they were actually reaching over the top of the neck -- I'm guessing it made some of those insane stretches easier. Or possible at all.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    And just tried one of the DragonForce lead sections for the first time and hahahahahahahahahahahah, no.

Also went and found a YouTube video of them in concert just to confirm that yes, there were people whose fingers could move like that. Interestingly, for some of the faster single-string stuff they were actually reaching over the top of the neck -- I'm guessing it made some of those insane stretches easier. Or possible at all.

Hmm, that's a good point. I'm willing to bet a lot of the Dragonforce stuff uses tapping, and I'm not sure how Rocksmith would distinguish that. I can't remember if it does or not.

• Options
    edited October 2017

Hmm, that's a good point. I'm willing to bet a lot of the Dragonforce stuff uses tapping, and I'm not sure how Rocksmith would distinguish that. I can't remember if it does or not.

They do have a way of showing tapping, although I've never had much luck with it. But they don't have a way of showing non-standard fretboard stuff -- reaching over the top of the neck, e.g.

Here's the video, in case anyone wants to feel really, really intimidated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK_d5g3pBb8

(And does anybody know what that thing is that the one guitarist is wearing as a ring on his picking hand?)

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

They do have a way of showing tapping, although I've never had much luck with it. But they don't have a way of showing non-standard fretboard stuff -- reaching over the top of the neck, e.g.

Here's the video, in case anyone wants to feel really, really intimidated. (And does anybody know what that thing is that the one guitarist is wearing as a ring on his picking hand?)

It's actually on his wikipedia page; I don't think there are a lot of guitarists that use it so he's kind of known for it.
    Recently, he has started to use a device called the Hot Hand that sits on his right hand like a ring, which causes extreme vibrato when shaken, giving him greater capacity to emulate certain video game sounds.
    Basically, it sounds like an effects pedal controller that you wear on your hand.

Endaro on
  • Options
    Endaro wrote: »

Here's the video, in case anyone wants to feel really, really intimidated. (And does anybody know what that thing is that the one guitarist is wearing as a ring on his picking hand?)

It's actually on his wikipedia page; I don't think there are a lot of guitarists that use it so he's kind of known for it.
    Recently, he has started to use a device called the Hot Hand that sits on his right hand like a ring, which causes extreme vibrato when shaken, giving him greater capacity to emulate certain video game sounds.
    Basically, it sounds like an effects pedal controller that you wear on your hand.

Huh -- interesting. Almost like a wearable eBow, maybe. I noticed that his fretboard was also lighted -- I assume there's all kinds of fancy stuff going on in his instrument (which is in no way intended to take away from his obvious, incredible talent).

• Options
    The DLC for October 31, 2017 is Amon Amarth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJn68dwAgZU

Twilight Of The Thunder God” – Custom Tuning (B Standard) – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “The Pursuit Of Vikings” – Custom Tuning (B Standard) – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “War Of The Gods” – Custom Tuning (B Standard) – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “Death In Fire” – Custom Tuning (B Standard) - Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “Guardians Of Asgaard” – Custom Tuning (A E A D F# B) – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass

Melodic death metal seems appropriate for Halloween, but I don't think I can tune my guitar that low and still play it.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, I think you'd pretty much have to actually restring with a much heavier gauge if you didn't want to have your strings flapping like overcooked spaghetti.

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't expect that. Holy shit.

I really want to buy them, even though I'd rarely tune that low.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's an odd choice. I like some of that band's material over the years but I don't think I'd ever choose a band that tunes that low for official DLC. The only way this is feasible for most people is if they have a second guitar they can tune that low. I would never tune my guitar that is in C all the way up to E because the heavier strings would negatively affect the neck and tuning a guitar that is in E down that low would result an unplayable instrument as an_alt pointed out. Strange.

• Options
    The DLC for November 7th, 2017 is NOFX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53y0XoyIvI

“Linoleum” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bob” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Seeing Double At The Triple Rock” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Stickin’ In My Eye” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

While I prefer my punk to be old and British, I do have a soft spot for NOFX. Plus it's all in E Standard, so one doesn't need to buy a separate guitar to play it.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The DLC for November 7th, 2017 is NOFX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53y0XoyIvI

“Linoleum” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bob” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Seeing Double At The Triple Rock” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Stickin’ In My Eye” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

While I prefer my punk to be old and British, I do have a soft spot for NOFX. Plus it's all in E Standard, so one doesn't need to buy a separate guitar to play it.

xsllvgdu3pnj.png

• Options
    The DLC for November 14th, 2017 is The Pretenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHprwRl9Myk

“Back On The Chain Gang” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Middle Of The Road” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Brass In Pocket” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm; Drop D - Bass
    “Don’t Get Me Wrong” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “I’ll Stand By You” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

The Pretenders are an English-American rock band formed in Hereford, England, in March 1978. The original band consisted of initiator and main songwriter Chrissie Hynde (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), James Honeyman-Scott (lead guitar, backing vocals, keyboards), Pete Farndon (bass guitar, backing vocals), and Martin Chambers (drums, backing vocals, percussion). Following the drug-related deaths of Honeyman-Scott and Farndon, the band has experienced numerous subsequent personnel changes, with Hynde as the only consistent member, and Chambers returning after an absence of several years.

Hynde launched a solo career in 2014 and the Pretenders were dormant as a band between 2012 and 2016. However, The Pretenders are once again active, having issued an album and toured in 2016.

Definitely a more laid back pack, though Middle of the Road is a little more involved. I didn't listen much to The Pretenders, but never minded them either.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    The DLC for November 14th, 2017 is The Pretenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHprwRl9Myk

“Back On The Chain Gang” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Middle Of The Road” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Brass In Pocket” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm; Drop D - Bass
    “Don’t Get Me Wrong” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “I’ll Stand By You” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

The Pretenders are an English-American rock band formed in Hereford, England, in March 1978. The original band consisted of initiator and main songwriter Chrissie Hynde (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), James Honeyman-Scott (lead guitar, backing vocals, keyboards), Pete Farndon (bass guitar, backing vocals), and Martin Chambers (drums, backing vocals, percussion). Following the drug-related deaths of Honeyman-Scott and Farndon, the band has experienced numerous subsequent personnel changes, with Hynde as the only consistent member, and Chambers returning after an absence of several years.

Hynde launched a solo career in 2014 and the Pretenders were dormant as a band between 2012 and 2016. However, The Pretenders are once again active, having issued an album and toured in 2016.

Definitely a more laid back pack, though Middle of the Road is a little more involved. I didn't listen much to The Pretenders, but never minded them either.

I was hoping the pack would include The Warrior. Then I remembered that song was actually by Scandal, not the Pretenders. Still, I'll be picking this up -- should be some nice songs that won't make my fingers fall off.

• Options
    Also, it actually makes me happy that in the promotional videos the playalongs have plenty of notifications for missed notes.

• Options
    Yeah, I'll probably pick up a few of those.

• Options
    I was a little surprised, watching the video, when I ended up recognizing all but maybe one of the songs.

• Options
    The DLC for November 21st, 2017 is Halestorm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfBHqbpSdY

“I Miss The Misery” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “I Get Off” – Drop D – Lead/Bass; Custom (Db Drop B) - Rhythm
    “Mz. Hyde” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Halestorm is an American hard rock band from Red Lion, Pennsylvania, consisting of lead vocalist and guitarist Lzzy Hale, her brother drummer and percussionist Arejay Hale, guitarist Joe Hottinger, and bassist Josh Smith. The group's self-titled debut album was released on April 28, 2009, through Atlantic Records. Their second album The Strange Case Of... was released on April 10, 2012. Its lead single "Love Bites (So Do I)" from that album won their first Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance on February 10, 2013.

Halestorm is well known for their near non-stop touring, often performing as many as 250 shows a year. Since 2006 they have toured with many hard rock and heavy metal acts including Alter Bridge, Chevelle, Seether, Staind, Papa Roach, Trapt, Three Days Grace, Theory of a Deadman, Buckcherry, Disturbed, Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, Hellyeah, Heaven & Hell, Evanescence, The Pretty Reckless, Starset, Sevendust, Dorothy, Lita Ford and Bullet For My Valentine. Halestorm appeared on the first annual Rockstar Energy Drink Uproar Festival, and in October 2010 the band traveled to Japan to participate in the Loud Park Festival. Halestorm also appeared on the 2010 Taste of Chaos tour.

I've heard of Halestorm, but haven't really listened to them. Sounds like power chord heavy, guitar driven rock. While they don't exactly have an original sound, I do have a thing for powerful female vocals. This might go on the drunk purchase list.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    The DLC for November 21st, 2017 is Halestorm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfBHqbpSdY

“I Miss The Misery” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “I Get Off” – Drop D – Lead/Bass; Custom (Db Drop B) - Rhythm
    “Mz. Hyde” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Halestorm is an American hard rock band from Red Lion, Pennsylvania, consisting of lead vocalist and guitarist Lzzy Hale, her brother drummer and percussionist Arejay Hale, guitarist Joe Hottinger, and bassist Josh Smith. The group's self-titled debut album was released on April 28, 2009, through Atlantic Records. Their second album The Strange Case Of... was released on April 10, 2012. Its lead single "Love Bites (So Do I)" from that album won their first Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance on February 10, 2013.

Halestorm is well known for their near non-stop touring, often performing as many as 250 shows a year. Since 2006 they have toured with many hard rock and heavy metal acts including Alter Bridge, Chevelle, Seether, Staind, Papa Roach, Trapt, Three Days Grace, Theory of a Deadman, Buckcherry, Disturbed, Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, Hellyeah, Heaven & Hell, Evanescence, The Pretty Reckless, Starset, Sevendust, Dorothy, Lita Ford and Bullet For My Valentine. Halestorm appeared on the first annual Rockstar Energy Drink Uproar Festival, and in October 2010 the band traveled to Japan to participate in the Loud Park Festival. Halestorm also appeared on the 2010 Taste of Chaos tour.

I've heard of Halestorm, but haven't really listened to them. Sounds like power chord heavy, guitar driven rock. While they don't exactly have an original sound, I do have a thing for powerful female vocals. This might go on the drunk purchase list.

There's a single in a random pack that I forget the name of. But I like me some Halestorm. That song, at speed, was pretty difficult for me.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    For any PC players, the Steam Black Friday/Thanksgiving sale just started and it looks like all but some of the newest DLC is 40% off.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    There was a time where Rocksmith DLC used to go for cheaper during sales, but I guess this is the new normal.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    The DLC for November 28, 2017 is Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXzbxCIJ3vU

“Christmas Eve / Sarajevo 12/24” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Wizards In Winter” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/; Drop D - Bass
    "A Mad Russian's Christmas” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "O Come All Ye Faithful / O Holy Night" - E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Christmas Canon Rock" - E Standard - Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Trans-Siberian Orchestra (TSO) is an American progressive rock band founded around 1993 by producer, composer, and lyricist Paul O'Neill, who brought together Jon Oliva and Al Pitrelli (both members of Savatage) and keyboardist and co-producer Robert Kinkel to form the core of the creative team. The band gained in popularity when they began touring in 1999 after completing their second album, The Christmas Attic, the year previous. In 2007, the Washington Post referred to them as "an arena-rock juggernaut" and described their music as "Pink Floyd meets Yes and The Who at Radio City Music Hall." TSO has sold more than 10 million concert tickets and over 10 million albums. The band has released a series of rock operas: Christmas Eve and Other Stories, The Christmas Attic, Beethoven's Last Night, The Lost Christmas Eve, their two-disc Night Castle and Letters From the Labyrinth. Trans-Siberian Orchestra is also known for their extensive charity work and elaborate concerts, which include a string section, a light show, lasers, "enough pyro to be seen from the International Space Station", moving trusses, video screens, and effects synchronized to music.

I saw TSO and I already knew I couldn't play that with somebody else's hands. Not that it's unseasonable or unpleasant to listen to, just that it's not going under my Christmas tree.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    So I bought "Christmas Eve" (which I always called "That Trans-Siberia Orchestra song") and it's actually not as hard as it seems. I played it 3 or 4 times on Lead and ended up with a 92%, and I'm not much of a lead player at all. The only really fast part is the run at the end, and even that is kind of simple when you break it down (just really, really fast). I got because I liked the song and it's Christmas time, but it ended up being pretty fun to play.

The rhythm is pretty easy and boring, which is good or bad depending on your viewpoint (I found it kind of boring, personally). It's mostly power chords, so if you just want to hit those really hard while you headbang your Santa hat, it's good for that.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    The DLC for December 5th, 2017 is Steve Miller Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHUCT9Mvbpg

“Fly Like An Eagle” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Take The Money And Run” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Rock’n Me” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Jet Airliner" – Capo Required – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    "The Joker" – D Standard – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass

The Steve Miller Band is an American rock band formed in 1966 in San Francisco, California. The band is led by Steve Miller on guitar and lead vocals. It is best known today for a string of (mainly) mid-to-late 1970s hit singles that are staples of classic rock radio, as well as several earlier psychedelic rock albums. Miller left his first band to move to San Francisco and form the Steve Miller Blues Band. Shortly after Harvey Kornspan negotiated the band’s landmark contract with Capitol Records in 1967, the band shortened its name to the Steve Miller Band. In February 1968, the band recorded its debut album, Children of the Future. It went on to produce the albums Sailor, Brave New World, Your Saving Grace, Number 5, Rock Love and more. The band's Greatest Hits 1974–78, released in 1978, sold over 13 million copies. The band continued to produce more albums and in 2014 toured with the rock band Journey In 2016, Steve Miller was inducted as a solo artist in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I was tempted to title the threat Fly Like a Seahawk.

For some reason, I never thought of most of those songs being quite as quick as they are. That said, aside from a few five fret stretches, it's not exactly Malmsteen territory. Should be a popular pack with how much radio play SMB gets.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    This one I did pick up, although I haven't played everything yet.

Take the Money and Run seems to be one of those where the lead guitar is mostly doubling the vocal line. I didn't realize that was not uncommon; or, at least, I've run across it in more RS songs than I would've expected.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Damn. I haven't touched this game on a while but I'm going to have to get this week's pack - Alice in Chains

Based on the tweet, at least one of the tracks is going to be No Excuses. I still play half the songs from Jar of Flies as they were the first songs I learned on guitar. Hey ready for a lot of E flat tuning

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman