As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I'll keep the 10's. I once used 11's along time ago. Never could get up to the 13's.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    For a long time I've used Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings which are 10 through 52, but I think my next set is going to be straight 10s. I'm trying to get my action as low as possible and develop a lighter touch.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Ooh, there was Shania Twain DLC?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I found Rocksmith prefers my Strat with 10s then 9s.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    The DLC for March 13th, 2018 is Kaiser Chiefs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHbk9SZTZuU

“Ruby” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Never Miss A Beat” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “I Predict A Riot” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Kaiser Chiefs are an English indie rock band from Leeds who formed in 2000 as Parva, releasing one studio album, 22, in 2003, before renaming and establishing themselves in their current name that same year. Since their formation the band consists of lead vocalist Ricky Wilson, guitarist Andrew "Whitey" White, bassist Simon Rix, keyboardist and occasional drummer Nick "Peanut" Baines and since 2013 drummer Vijay Mistry, who replaced founding drummer Nick Hodgson who left the band in late 2012.

Primarily inspired by new wave and punk rock music of the late 1970s and 1980s, the band have released six original studio albums: Employment (2005), Yours Truly, Angry Mob (2007), Off with Their Heads (2008), The Future Is Medieval (2011), Education, Education, Education & War (2014) and Stay Together (2016), one EP: Lap of Honour (2005), one compilation album: Souvenir: The Singles 2004–2012 (2012) and numerous singles, including the number one hit song "Ruby".

I'd say more post-punk than punk from these three songs, but I do hear the new wave.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    OK, another group I've never heard of, but based on the sample, I'm kind of tempted -- look like they'd be fun songs that won't actually melt my fingers off of my hands.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    My Scottish roommate introduced me to two of the Kaiser Chief songs including Ruby and Oh My God (this one because there was a Mark Ronson/Lily Allen cover on Mark Ronson's album, Version).

I don't know the other ones but they all sound like they could be fun to play. Oh My God would have been my preferred song to Ruby but Ruby isn't a bad choice either.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Ruby is a great song. Oh My God is also okay.

I think those are the only two Kaiser Chiefs songs I know.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Ooh, heard this week's DLC is Two Door Cinema Club. That first album of theirs was incredibly solid. Sorta fell off of them after that.

edit: Oh, it's a 2010s pack. So it might just be one song from them and then some other bands.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Learn to play 3 modern hits from the 2010s spanning indie pop, Irish indie rock, and folk rock with a trio of UK artists!

“Pompeii” by Bastille – E Standard – Rhythm/Bass; Drop D - Lead
    “What You Know” by Two Door Cinema Club – E Standard – Lead/Bass; Capo Required - Rhythm
    “Hold Back The River” by James Bay – D Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDswBWHYLZE

Another one I can give a pass to, I think. Keep hoping for Scorpions, although at this point I'd even settle for Quiet Riot.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Another one I can give a pass to, I think. Keep hoping for Scorpions, although at this point I'd even settle for Quiet Riot.

There's only one track from the Scorps I'd love to see in Rocksmith, and that'd be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoI7deS76Ck

I want to play sweep arpeggios from the 70's.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Well it's one of those "thing I like surrounded by things I don't like" weeks.

Good thing you can buy tracks individually, I guess.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2018

There's only one track from the Scorps I'd love to see in Rocksmith, and that'd be:

Wow ... Never heard that one before; it's interesting to see what they were doing before they became kind of a German bog-standard hair metal band in the 1980s.

And in that thumbnail, he looks just like Weird Al.

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    If we're talking Scorpions wishlist, I'd love to see "The Zoo" and "Still Loving You".

And speaking of prog bands that became 80's pop bands, I'd love to see some early Genesis, back when Peter Gabriel was still with them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyTrui7k4U

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Wow ... Never heard that one before; it's interesting to see what they were doing before they became kind of a German bog-standard hair metal band in the 1980s.

70's Scorpions was a completely different animal, mainly due to Uli Jon Roth's presence (the really bored dude jamming on the Strat). He started clashing some with Klaus and Rudolph Schenker over songwriting (they wanted more traditional blues sounding stuff that became their arena rock sound, Uli wanted to keep doing proggy shit) and left the band in 1978.

Another fun one from that era:

https://youtu.be/IEdOOLOARYo

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    If we're talking Scorpions wishlist, I'd love to see "The Zoo" and "Still Loving You".

And speaking of prog bands that became 80's pop bands, I'd love to see some early Genesis, back when Peter Gabriel was still with them:

Waitaminnit ... I had been reliably informed that Eddie Van Halen invented fretboard tapping; was I being lied to this whole time?

• Options

70's Scorpions was a completely different animal, mainly due to Uli Jon Roth's presence (the really bored dude jamming on the Strat). He started clashing some with Klaus and Rudolph Schenker over songwriting (they wanted more traditional blues sounding stuff that became their arena rock sound, Uli wanted to keep doing proggy shit) and left the band in 1978.

Another fun one from that era:

https://youtu.be/IEdOOLOARYo

Yeah, I remember going onto Spotify and listening to the Scorps' very first album and going, "Hmmmm ... that is not what I was expecting ..."

And seriously: Klaus looks exactly like Weird Al.

• Options

Waitaminnit ... I had been reliably informed that Eddie Van Halen invented fretboard tapping; was I being lied to this whole time?

He definitely didn't invent it, but he did popularize it and made it a big part of his playing. He also kind of pushed it further than anyone had at that time.

• Options

He definitely didn't invent it, but he did popularize it and made it a big part of his playing. He also kind of pushed it further than anyone had at that time.

Yeah, my tongue may have been a little ways into my cheek ... But it was cool to see it in a video from 1973!

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Omg Klaus! Who told you to stand there dancing like that!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Hmm, one of the confirmed songs for next week is "My Favorite Game" by The Cardigans. Not sure if it's a pack of them or just a single, but an interesting pick.

• Options
    I mean, the only good part of that song is the guitar riff.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Omg Klaus! Who told you to stand there dancing like that!

Klaus makes the Carlton look like something from Fred Astaire or Michael Jackson.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    So am I the only one who sometimes plays a song just to get it off the top of the "Recommended" sort list? (In this case it was Joy to the World, just because I was getting sick of opening up the list and having it sing a very chipper, "Joy, joy, joy, joy" to me.)

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I only ever sort by tuning.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I sort by skill
    As my list is very messed up since Eighteen by Winger is the hardest song for me
    Yet I have a lot of the surf rock songs aced with Paris by Grace Potter and Jessie's girl which are all really fun songs to play
    I even use the later to test guitars out

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Sorted by year here which means I either have to scroll a lot or not at all depending on my mood.

• Options
    The DLC for March 27th, 2018 is The Cardigans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LxledfIUzQ

“Lovefool” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Erase, Rewind” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “My Favourite Game” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

This one's not for me, but it's always nice to see variety.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Those certainly are the two songs anyone cares about by The Cardigans.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Yeah, I don't hate the music (and I'm glad they're in E standard) but based on the sample I think I'll manage without.

• Options
    I'm tempted by Lovefool, just because I've always really liked that song and it's in a style I normally wouldn't play.

• Options
    The DLC for April 3rd, 2018 is Dethklok II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EwhoSAKNsE

“Murmaider” – C Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Black Fire Upon Us” – C Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bloodlines” – C Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Dethklok is a virtual death metal band featured in the Adult Swim animated television series Metalocalypse. The first official Dethklok album was released on September 25, 2007, entitled The Dethalbum. The album debuted at number 21 on Billboard Magazine's Top 200 list.

I did chuckle at some of the lyrics, but that was definitely the most misses I've seen for a DLC trailer that I can remember.

Between the C standard tuning and the difficulty, I'll be taking a pass on this one, but props to anyone who does pick it up.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I would totally get this if not for the C tuning. I love Dethklok.

I really need to get my Ibanez set up for lower tunings now that I have a new guitar.

• Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for April 3rd, 2018 is Dethklok II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EwhoSAKNsE

“Murmaider” – C Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Black Fire Upon Us” – C Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bloodlines” – C Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Dethklok is a virtual death metal band featured in the Adult Swim animated television series Metalocalypse. The first official Dethklok album was released on September 25, 2007, entitled The Dethalbum. The album debuted at number 21 on Billboard Magazine's Top 200 list.

I did chuckle at some of the lyrics, but that was definitely the most misses I've seen for a DLC trailer that I can remember.

Between the C standard tuning and the difficulty, I'll be taking a pass on this one, but props to anyone who does pick it up.

Yeah, I saw all of those misses and thought, "Hey! I could do that!"

But I'll also be taking a pass, especially give the tuning.

• Options
    Hey something else in C besides Children of Bodom and Sinergy. I may get them just for the novelty factor.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I'm actually noticing an improvement in my lead playing. It's gone from "mostly terrible" to "alright". I decided to sit down and learn the solo to "I Remember You" by Skid Row and after 4 or 5 times I'm up to almost 92% on the lead part. There's only really 1 fast run in the solo that I'm not quite fast enough on, but instead of my usual of flubbing the fast notes and hitting the bends, I actually know what fast notes I need to hit and can almost hit all of them. I can do it pretty reliably at 90% speed. It's kind of surreal after over 20 years of playing with almost no work on my soloing to see this stuff in my grasp.

Thank you, John Petrucci!

I've also noticed some improvement on my stretching, which I didn't think would happen after so long, of admittedly playing the same stuff. I've been playing "Eyes of a Stranger" by Queensryche a fair amount and it's got one part where you do 3-5-7 on the A-D-G strings, then do 3-4-7. That switch to 4 was kind of tough, but today I completely nailed it every time. Follow your dreams, kids!

• Options
    I'm actually noticing an improvement in my lead playing. It's gone from "mostly terrible" to "alright". I decided to sit down and learn the solo to "I Remember You" by Skid Row and after 4 or 5 times I'm up to almost 92% on the lead part. There's only really 1 fast run in the solo that I'm not quite fast enough on, but instead of my usual of flubbing the fast notes and hitting the bends, I actually know what fast notes I need to hit and can almost hit all of them. I can do it pretty reliably at 90% speed. It's kind of surreal after over 20 years of playing with almost no work on my soloing to see this stuff in my grasp.

I've also noticed some improvement on my stretching, which I didn't think would happen after so long, of admittedly playing the same stuff. I've been playing "Eyes of a Stranger" by Queensryche a fair amount and it's got one part where you do 3-5-7 on the A-D-G strings, then do 3-4-7. That switch to 4 was kind of tough, but today I completely nailed it every time. Follow your dreams, kids!

Rock Discipline truly does work. It's one of the best foundation building lesson videos I've ever seen in playing for over 20 years myself, and I'll typically steer people to it or some of Paul Gilbert's late 80's, early 90's videos because they are the two best I've seen at properly giving you the tools to do what they do and a line of progression to follow beyond just shredding shit fast and playing shit slow. They're also great at expressing their ideas using full theory wank as well as "layman" terms for those that are self-taught and can just read tab.

And ah, "Eyes of a Stranger", it was a staple of a prog-rock cover band I was in around 10 years ago. Being both Michael Wilton and Geoff Tate on that song at the same time is the most arduous musical gymnastics I've ever done in a live setting.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Rock Discipline truly does work. It's one of the best foundation building lesson videos I've ever seen in playing for over 20 years myself, and I'll typically steer people to it or some of Paul Gilbert's late 80's, early 90's videos because they are the two best I've seen at properly giving you the tools to do what they do and a line of progression to follow beyond just shredding shit fast and playing shit slow. They're also great at expressing their ideas using full theory wank as well as "layman" terms for those that are self-taught and can just read tab.

And ah, "Eyes of a Stranger", it was a staple of a prog-rock cover band I was in around 10 years ago. Being both Michael Wilton and Geoff Tate on that song at the same time is the most arduous musical gymnastics I've ever done in a live setting.

I've never been much of a Dream Theater fan, but have always admired Petrucci for his ability. Rock Discipline was recommended to me by a long time guitar player friend. He's way into jazz these days and has a music degree from the University of North Texas (pretty prestigious music school), and he said that video helped him out a lot. I'm really barely into it, myself. I got to the exercise part and took the first 2 he listed (playing a harmonic major scale in quarter notes, 8th notes, 8th note triplets, etc., and the chromatic alternate picking exercise) and have just been working on those, but like I said, I've had noticeable improvement. I didn't go any further because while he's all "if you're having trouble playing it at a certain speed, try playing it at a higher speed a few times then back it off to where you want to be. For instance try 200 bpm, then back it off to 180" on the chromatic exercise, while I was struggling with it at 80 bpm. But now I can play it pretty cleanly at 120bpm, and can play it messily at tempos like 160. I'm sure I'd be making even faster progress if I practiced more, but I try to do at least 20 or 30 minutes a day. I've also noticed improvement in general accuracy, like those 3 string chords I mentioned. It's probably related to forcing myself to use my 3rd and 4th fingers more.

• Options
    It's probably related to forcing myself to use my 3rd and 4th fingers more.

I have terrible pinky discipline on my fretting hand. I have to constantly remind myself to use it when playing lead lines cause otherwise I have to shift my hand position more often and I wind up dragging behind the rhythm.

If only I had a catcher's mitt hand like Michael Schenker then I'd only need 3 fingers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NriQmPlhKuE

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Going back to my post on using late 80's, early 90's Paul Gilbert vids as training tools, I finally remembered the 2 I have and have used are Intense Rock I and Intense Rock II.

To give an idea of the lack of fucks Paul gives about decorum or how to make a lesson plan, here's the opening video and song he teaches you in Intense Rock II:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlOaFuULbo

I've wanted a fringe accented guitar ever since.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai