As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for December 12th, 2017 is Alice in Chains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D65IkY0Yz8c

“Rooster” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Nutshell” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "No Excuses” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Heaven Beside You" – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Down In A Hole" – Eb Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm; Eb Drop Db - Bass
    Alice in Chains is an American rock band formed in Seattle, Washington, in 1987 by guitarist/vocalist Jerry Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney, who then recruited bassist Mike Starr and lead vocalist Layne Staley. Mike Starr was replaced in 1993 by Mike Inez. The band took its name from Staley's previous group, the glam metal band Alice N' Chains.

Although widely associated with grunge music, the band's sound incorporates heavy metal elements. Since its formation, Alice in Chains has released five studio albums, three EPs, two live albums, four compilations, two DVDs, 30 music videos and 28 singles. The band is known for its distinctive vocal style, which often included the harmonized vocals between Staley and Cantrell (and later Cantrell and William DuVall). Cantrell started to sing lead on the 1992 acoustic EP Sap, and his role continued to grow in the following albums, making Alice in Chains a two-vocal band.

Well, I do love some AiC and although tuning does involve more than one string, at least it's all the same (if you're not a bass player.) Might have to get this one next time it's on sale.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Really tempted, but ugh, Eb. I'll probably get it anyway.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    yeah those are all the songs I learned to play the beginning of in the 90s and it would be really nice to actually know how to play the whole thing instead of trailing off after like, the first verse. I'll definitely be getting them by the next sale if not sooner.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Really tempted, but ugh, Eb. I'll probably get it anyway.

I can tolerate Eb. It's D standard that is the bridge too far for me. At that point your intonation is way off, and your strings are so flabby that it is way too easy to accidentally fret too hard. I hate myself for having bought the Motley Crue pack. I think all of Slayer is Eb, and I can manage that just fine.

I never really liked Alice in Chains as much as other people seem to though. They're not horrible or anything, but I have never really dug any of their songs.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Alice in Chains had this weird thing where they would alternate between hard and soft record releases.

Facelift (hard) > Sap (soft) > Dirt (hard) > Jar of Flies (soft) > Alice in Chains (hard) > Alice in Chains Unplugged (soft)

There were always a few songs I liked on the hard records but it was soft records that i listened to more.
    To me, all the songs in that pack are, while not all from the soft records, mainly have the soft sound and those are the songs I still play to this day.

I wonder if Rocksmith would ever consider doing an album from beginning to end as a pack. If you could pick one album to learn, beginning to end, what would it be? My first instinct would be Ok, Computer or The Bends but I feel like there's got to be some better ones.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Alice in Chains had this weird thing where they would alternate between hard and soft record releases.

Facelift (hard) > Sap (soft) > Dirt (hard) > Jar of Flies (soft) > Alice in Chains (hard) > Alice in Chains Unplugged (soft)

There were always a few songs I liked on the hard records but it was soft records that i listened to more.
    To me, all the songs in that pack are, while not all from the soft records, mainly have the soft sound and those are the songs I still play to this day.

I wonder if Rocksmith would ever consider doing an album from beginning to end as a pack. If you could pick one album to learn, beginning to end, what would it be? My first instinct would be Ok, Computer or The Bends but I feel like there's got to be some better ones.

Rush, 2112.

Well, honestly, my first choices would probably be U2, The Unforgettable Fire, REM, Fables of the Reconstruction, or The Cure, Disintegration. Or something by John Renbourn or Martin Carthy.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Rust in Peace :P

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017

Rust in Peace :P

After about a week or so of my fretting hand turning into a claw trying to get around Marty's voice leadings and scales, this is where I'd be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up_KMtm0Gn0

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

That's a really good question

tbh while I can think of a lot of guitar heavy albums I mostly like I can't think of many albums with lots of guitar that I'd want to actually play from beginning to end

Maybe something by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

tbh while I can think of a lot of guitar heavy albums I mostly like I can't think of many albums with lots of guitar that I'd want to actually play from beginning to end

Other than Paris I want more by them to play

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Other than Paris I want more by them to play

I really like Paris but yeah it's not even my favorite song by them.

Hopefully in the future? I know Grace did a solo album that was much more pop-ish but they're still a band and I think working on another album.

• Options
    Really the Lion the Beast and the Beat would be fun
    But I will have to go back and listen to the albums to see which I would like past that

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    My guitar album would probably just be Nirvana, Foofighters, Tragically Hip, Green Day, or Offspring.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I know I couldn't possibly pick one album. I'd have to have so many categories for different albums. Something like "this is just fun" and "this shit is hard but when I nail it I will feel awesome" would probably be the primary two.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Van Halen I. That's always my choice!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Tragically Hip

Canadian detected.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looks like next week's DLC is a Johnny Cash pack, 1 of 2, I believe, of a total of 10 songs.

• Options
    I really hope there's live versions from Folsom Prison. The vibe on those songs is great. He really plays up his outlaw country bit for the cons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Even though I could never master it, I wish there was a Chet Atkins pack. The trem dive in this video at 1:35 is divine. Like everything the guy does individually is great, but when you throw all of the technique together at the same time, it's so masterful. It helps that he's suave as fuck while he's shredding too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-c66SJPuUI

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lowlander wrote: »
    Even though I could never master it, I wish there was a Chet Atkins pack. The trem dive in this video at 1:35 is divine. Like everything the guy does individually is great, but when you throw all of the technique together at the same time, it's so masterful. It helps that he's suave as fuck while he's shredding too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-c66SJPuUI

I never thought Mr. Sandman would be one of the most impressive things I watch someone play on guitar

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    An Adrian Legg pack would be pretty interesting as well, though they’d have to add something to signify changing tuning.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JC_nFCBjBXw

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Since we're on the topic of track packs that should be, I'd spend a lot of money for a 10 pack track of Mark Knopfler
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg
    My personal favorite of his is Romeo and Juliet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxfjSnMN88U

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lowlander wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic of track packs that should be, I'd spend a lot of money for a 10 pack track of Mark Knopfler
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg
    My personal favorite of his is Romeo and Juliet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxfjSnMN88U

Oh, please, yes.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I had the itch to get this game going again the other day, but I can't find either of the damn realtone cables I have. I have a hundred guitar cables, I'm drowning in them, but no realtones that I can find. Pfft.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    The DLC for December 19th, 2017 is Johnny Cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG7Yw3PaQrs

Johnny Cash Song Pack I
    “Jackson” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Hey Porter” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Big River” – E Standard – Lead/Bass; Capo Required - Rhythm
    "Give My Love To Rose" – Capo Required – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    "Folsom Prison Blues" – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Johnny Cash Song Pack II
    “I Walk The Line” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Rhythm/Bass; Capo Required - Rhythm
    “Get Rhythm” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Rhythm/Bass; Capo Required - Rhythm
    "Cry! Cry! Cry!” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down" – Capo Required – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    "Ring Of Fire" – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

All 10 songs available together as Johnny Cash Song Pack I+II
    John R. Cash (born J. R. Cash; February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003) was an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, actor, and author. He is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, having sold more than 90 million records worldwide. Although primarily remembered as a country music icon, his genre-spanning songs and sound embraced rock and roll, rockabilly, blues, folk, and gospel. This crossover appeal won Cash the rare honor of multiple inductions in the Country Music, Rock and Roll, and Gospel Music Halls of Fame.

I'll wait for a sale, but I am definitely picking up this one.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    an_alt wrote: »

Johnny Cash Song Pack I

Johnny Cash Song Pack II

John R. Cash (born J. R. Cash; February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003) was an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, actor, and author. He is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, having sold more than 90 million records worldwide. Although primarily remembered as a country music icon, his genre-spanning songs and sound embraced rock and roll, rockabilly, blues, folk, and gospel. This crossover appeal won Cash the rare honor of multiple inductions in the Country Music, Rock and Roll, and Gospel Music Halls of Fame.

Already picked it up, although it's doing that irritating thing (on the PC, at least) where the songs kind of appear in my library by dribs & drabs.

Tried just a couple of the songs so far and they're fun but surprisingly challenging.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

Johnny Cash Song Pack I

Johnny Cash Song Pack II

Already picked it up, although it's doing that irritating thing (on the PC, at least) where the songs kind of appear in my library by dribs & drabs.

Tried just a couple of the songs so far and they're fun but surprisingly challenging.

Sometimes Steam will schedule the download, and if you go view the downloads you'll see it waiting where you can force it to start. Not sure if that's the issue or not.

• Options

Johnny Cash Song Pack I

Johnny Cash Song Pack II

Sometimes Steam will schedule the download, and if you go view the downloads you'll see it waiting where you can force it to start. Not sure if that's the issue or not.

Yeah, I've learned that after I buy the pack, the first thing I need to do is go to downloads and force the Rocksmith update to run. But this was a little different -- at first, after I bought the pack (the combined one) there wasn't an updated queued up. Then, while I was in the game playing, one song appeared as if by magic. I closed the game & saw another update, which added four or five more, but even then the list wasn't complete. I just saw yet another update which I assume will finish things out.

I had something similar happen with another pack not too long ago -- don't remember which one.

In the big scheme of things, it's not a big deal -- mostly an annoyance. But it does kind of suck to pull the trigger on some new songs, then not be able to play them immediately.

• Options

Johnny Cash Song Pack I

Johnny Cash Song Pack II

Yeah, I've learned that after I buy the pack, the first thing I need to do is go to downloads and force the Rocksmith update to run. But this was a little different -- at first, after I bought the pack (the combined one) there wasn't an updated queued up. Then, while I was in the game playing, one song appeared as if by magic. I closed the game & saw another update, which added four or five more, but even then the list wasn't complete. I just saw yet another update which I assume will finish things out.

I had something similar happen with another pack not too long ago -- don't remember which one.

In the big scheme of things, it's not a big deal -- mostly an annoyance. But it does kind of suck to pull the trigger on some new songs, then not be able to play them immediately.

Apparently it's not just you: https://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/7kvpdf/some_of_the_cash_dlc_wont_donwload/

• Options
    And I do have all of the songs now. And the ones I've played are fun but surprisingly tricky -- Ring of Fire in particular has some weird rhythm/time signature stuff going on.

• Options
    I found this pretty interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/7l4ge3/have_they_ever_shown_how_they_make_the_dlc/
    We talk about our process as much as we can on the weekly Twitch stream, but I can try to answer your questions:

What tools do we use? Custom stuff we've created and improved in-house over the last six years. Later tracks are more refined because our process and tools are more refined. Jason Kocol improves our track authoring software on a weekly basis. Guitar Pro 5 is not part of our process nor are any fan-made tools.

How long does it take them? About two weeks per track -- complicated ones with a high note density like DragonForce or Jimi Hendrix take longer, easier ones with simpler riffs or punk tracks generally take less. Then it's a six-week period of review and QA before publishing, so the team works about two months in advance of release dates.

This process has been explained a few times on the stream, but it starts by listening to the track and analyzing videos of the performers. First the song is transcribed, then the notetracker builds the dynamic difficulty levels. Then other people on the team review it in a formal process, making corrections and suggestions and questioning the choices. Once it's gone through reviews, both for the notetrack and the tone, it goes to our QA team in Bucharest for yet another pass and gets packed for approval by the third-party partners (Sony/MS). If anybody finds any issues along the way, it goes to David Stevens, our in-house QA ninja, and the music team reviews the problems and figures out how to correct them.

Is one of the notetrackers really bad at their job? No. The team is made up of instructors, composers, arrangers, and professional working musicians. Almost everyone has another musical activity outside of the office, from teaching private lessons to creating their own music to conducting orchestras. More than one notetracker is also a programmer who can help build and debug software while it's in development.

Licensing agreements don't enter into us not showing our process. That's simply considered a trade secret, and it's not a level of transparency that should be expected. As I'm fond of saying, when you buy a Coke, you get 12 ounces of refreshment, and you might even get a factory tour some day -- but you're not entitled to see the secret formula. There's a level of transparency that becomes a risk to your own success, so we won't be revealing more than we have about our process. But I would offer that there is a difference between smart business self-preservation and assuming we having something to hide.

Here's a video from the launch of RS2014 that may help a bit but it won't answer all your questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U__y-TVCSDE

• Options
    Just for the heck of it, I went back and fired up the original RS today. And of course my save is long, long, long gone, so I had to start over in newb mode ("This ... is ... a ... string. This ... is ... a ... fret. Hold the guitar so that you can pluck the string with one hand and press the fret with the other."). I have to admit there are still things I like about the original game -- mostly the concert mode (where it'd assign you a few songs and you'd have to perform all of those songs in a row, and hit a certain minimum quality) and the way that it used to, after you'd finished a track, play it back with your performance overlaid.

But I do not miss the inability to go in and adjust the difficulty manually, especially when you start a song (Satisfaction, say) and it begins by having you play one note per measure. And there are many, many, many other ways in which RS2014 is vastly superior.

Mostly, I went into the original because I had a hankering to play some Cream and/or Clapton; but I don't know if I'm willing to persevere long enough to unlock those songs. Ah, well.

• Options
    I was trying to learn interstate love song the other night and I was really wishing that the game had a chord progression summary or something for songs. I was hung up on the transition between a couple of chords and I think it would be really helpful if you could just see the order of the chords and practice going from one to the next.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I was trying to learn interstate love song the other night and I was really wishing that the game had a chord progression summary or something for songs. I was hung up on the transition between a couple of chords and I think it would be really helpful if you could just see the order of the chords and practice going from one to the next.

If you hit Pause during a song and select Chords, it'll let you see and play around with the chords in the song.

• Options
    The DLC for January 9th, 2017 is Paramore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z4MtPdrjAo

“Ain’t It Fun” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm; C# Standard - Bass
    “crushcrushcrush” – Eb Drop Db – Lead/Rhythm; C# Standard - Bass
    "Brick By Boring Brick” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm; C# Standard - Bass
    "The Only Exception" – E Standard– Lead/Bass; Custom: EADGBD# - Rhythm
    “Pressure" – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass "Still Into You” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm; C# Standard - Bass
    Paramore is an American rock band from Franklin, Tennessee, formed in 2004. The band currently consists of lead vocalist Hayley Williams, guitarist Taylor York and drummer Zac Farro. Williams and Farro are founding members of the group, while York - a high school friend of the original lineup - joined in 2007.

Well, that was a boring write up, Wiki. I'm guessing the bass players in the thread are going to give this one a pass.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I like crushcrushcrush and might pick that one up. I'll have to see the others before I decide.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I guess OP isn't a Paramore fan.

Those songs are catchy enough. I don't really think of them as like, GUITAR songs, though.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

Those songs are catchy enough. I don't really think of them as like, GUITAR songs, though.

I don't hate on them or anything, rather I just don't know much about them. The bass comment had to do with the tunings more than anything.

Pony wrote:
  • Options

I don't hate on them or anything, rather I just don't know much about them. The bass comment had to do with the tunings more than anything.

They're pretty good.

I mean they're fairly simple pop punk but I like Williams' voice

With the tunings I'm on the fence despite liking them though

• Options
    I like crushcrushcrush and might pick that one up. I'll have to see the others before I decide.

Huh I never knew they sung these songs
    Shows what happens when you avoid the radio