Options

[Prey] Mooncrash DLC out now!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm noticing a few things in game that look like they were almost implemented before wiser heads prevailed.

All those O2 tanks laying around in convenient places, for instance.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Finished everything but a muderhobo run for the two murder-related achievements. Usually not a fan of play the game more than once in different ways, but this game is charming and quick enough once you know the routes that it's not a problem. That said, I did cheat with a end-game save to get Split Affinity and No Needles because No Needles was a pain in the neck enough as is.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well yes, the game originally had a whole survival system where you had to manage food, thirst and O2, but they dropped the idea fairly late in development apparently.

• Options
    Thank goodness.

• Options
    Finished the game last night
    Managed to get Do No Harm and I and Thou on my first playthrough. Can confirm that killing the Fake Cook doesn't lock you out of those.

Next up I go full murderhobo

• Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    knitdan wrote: »
    I'm noticing a few things in game that look like they were almost implemented before wiser heads prevailed.

All those O2 tanks laying around in convenient places, for instance.

My god navigating the exterior would have been a nightmare if time limits were involved. Being able to boost around with a minimum of issues made it pretty relaxing.

glimmung on
  • Options
    Managed to get Do No Harm and I and Thou on my first playthrough. Can confirm that killing the Fake Cook doesn't lock you out of those.

Just did my murderhobo last night. A minor murder related thing in the Crew Quarters:
    I would prioritize the mind-controlled peeps in the exercise section. I was just clearing willy-nilly and by the time I got to that section a couple of them had started a fire and stood in it. I'm not sure if environmental deaths void the trophy, but just to be sure I restarted at the level auto-save and was able to get them sans crisping.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Qanamil wrote: »

Just did my murderhobo last night. A minor murder related thing in the Crew Quarters:
    I would prioritize the mind-controlled peeps in the exercise section. I was just clearing willy-nilly and by the time I got to that section a couple of them had started a fire and stood in it. I'm not sure if environmental deaths void the trophy, but just to be sure I restarted at the level auto-save and was able to get them sans crisping.
    There is actually always a fire in that area, pretty sure the area loads in with a flame spewing from the pipe and one of the NPC's will walk through it until he dies eventually.

From what I heard, that would have voided your trophy.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »

There is actually always a fire in that area, pretty sure the area loads in with a flame spewing from the pipe and one of the NPC's will walk through it until he dies eventually.

From what I heard, that would have voided your trophy.

Continued from same topic:
    usually there's one kinda split evenly between the pool area and locker room so it doesn't seem as likely they'll run into it, but there were like 4 fires from that pipe when I went in! They had a fire party, I swear.

It really made me wonder how it happened, though I imagine it randomly loaded with more than what I had seen usually.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm doing this first run using human-only neuromod upgrades. I have way too many suit repair and health kits, so I'm assuming the harder mode will really require them. The next run will be in the hard mode using a ton of Typhon upgrades. I apparently really enjoy getting my nether regions kicked in.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Is there any particular reason to fix the fan in life support? Aside from the fact that I can do it, I have not heard about it anywhere in the game.

• Options
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason to fix the fan in life support? Aside from the fact that I can do it, I have not heard about it anywhere in the game.

I'm not entirely certain, because I fixed it before this, but (endgame spoilers)
    It might be necessary in order to save the cargo bay folks when Dahl messes with their air? Like I said, I fixed it earlier in the game so it never came up in the endgame but that would be my guess.

• Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular

I'm not entirely certain, because I fixed it before this, but (endgame spoilers)
    It might be necessary in order to save the cargo bay folks when Dahl messes with their air? Like I said, I fixed it earlier in the game so it never came up in the endgame but that would be my guess.

I love the sequence breaking in this game, but it does lessen the impact of some of the story beats.

• Options
    I feel stupid. Just realized I can throw anything from my inventory into the recycler. For instance, those 70 Psi hypos that I've never used once because I'm not running that way. Yeah, just cashed them in for some needed mats.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    All the extra repair kits and suit repair kits just seem like a dumb amount of excess until you realize you can throw a couple of stacks in the recycler for a ton of mineral returns.

• Options
    Totally. I've been so low on mineral material... until I realized I could throw more than junk in there. I have ~50 spare parts, so now I just toss guns in there to help build more shit.

I also hope that there isn't an achievement for finding every crew member in the game, because
    I know damn well I've seen Garfield and a few others that were turned to Phantoms, and now I can't find them anymore. Apparently if someone has turned, you have to get right up on their ass for the system to register it. I think I'm only missing maybe 4 people by that, and it's going to drive me nuts if that prevents me from getting an achievement.

Yeah, I could look at the achievement list, but as my own personal rule, I never look until I've beaten a game, as I don't trust the achievements from spoiling a major plot development.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Totally. I've been so low on mineral material... until I realized I could throw more than junk in there. I have ~50 spare parts, so now I just toss guns in there to help build more shit.

I also hope that there isn't an achievement for finding every crew member in the game, because
    I know damn well I've seen Garfield and a few others that were turned to Phantoms, and now I can't find them anymore. Apparently if someone has turned, you have to get right up on their ass for the system to register it. I think I'm only missing maybe 4 people by that, and it's going to drive me nuts if that prevents me from getting an achievement.

Yeah, I could look at the achievement list, but as my own personal rule, I never look until I've beaten a game, as I don't trust the achievements from spoiling a major plot development.
    Did you also check the corpse of the named phantom? I've killed and looted that phantom on my current file and Langly is marked off in the database. Didn't get near it until it was dead.

Cromarty on
  • Options

Did you also check the corpse of the named phantom? I've killed and looted that phantom on my current file and Langly is marked off in the database. Didn't get near it until it was dead.
    Langly is one of those people that I can't get anymore. I was shooting his Phantom and it was almost dead, then POOOOOF... the Phantom or its corpse are nowhere to be found. Kind of frustrating.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    The load times were a little early in the game, but it was worth it considering the seamless experience in each area but
    now that I'm at end-game and running around all over the ship dealing with those military drones, I spend more time in loading screens than I do in a zone.

Is there any way to speed up the load times on the Xbox version? Would having more free space open up more cache to improve load times?

I've also experienced some bugs (or what I think are bugs) with missions in this game:
    The mission where you go find that Russian lady's father starts out in the Lobby when you talk to her in your office. I spent about 20 minutes clearing out Typhons and out of the blue, the mission failed. I reloaded and took twice as long to get to the terminal to listen to the transcribe and it didn't fail. Made no sense to me.

Help Luther Glass - I saved the bastard and completed the missions. About 40 minutes later, doing seemingly nothing, the mission failed even though it was completed. I reloaded and immediately checked my quest logs and it shows completed. Makes no sense. EDIT: It seems to fail immediately when Ingawa calls about meeting him in Nueromods. Don't know why those two are tied together.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    I just finished the game. Totally going to be a Typhon injection asshole the next time around.
    I'm not really a fan of the ending. I get what was going on with taking Alex's hand, but they don't tell you anything else, like what happened to Morgan or what happens next. It seemed anticlimactic.

• Options

Langly is one of those people that I can't get anymore. I was shooting his Phantom and it was almost dead, then POOOOOF... the Phantom or its corpse are nowhere to be found. Kind of frustrating.
    That's a bummer.. I've definitely had enemy corpses just not generate for me too.
    Re: ending.
    I think there could be enough in the main game to figure out what Morgan actually did and where they ended up, but it probably doesn't make a difference in the outcome. "If just one of those things made it to Earth," as they say. Morgan being absent in the end makes me think they are very definitely dead though, if Alex is going so far as to try and imprint Morgan onto a Typhon.

• Options
    edited June 2017

That's a bummer.. I've definitely had enemy corpses just not generate for me too.
    I think there could be enough in the main game to figure out what Morgan actually did and where they ended up, but it probably doesn't make a difference in the outcome. "If just one of those things made it to Earth," as they say. Morgan being absent in the end makes me think they are very definitely dead though, if Alex is going so far as to try and imprint Morgan onto a Typhon.
    RE: Ending
    What doesn't make any sense is that whether you blow up the station or fry the Tyhpon at the heart, the end is always the same. You see the world in their "today," which has coral all over the place. Then you are given a choice: take hand or kill them all. Now this is as I was playing the nice guy, so I don't know if that changes that part of the ending. My guess is that it doesn't, otherwise there'd be two different endings simply based upon blowing up the station or keeping the research by shocking the Typhon. It just made the story feel kind of pointless, like anything you did had zero effect on their real world. It's no story about a snowglobe, but still felt a bit that way.

This doesn't make or break the game. It wasn't a bad ending, nor a good ending. It just... exists as an ending. Maybe I just missed something.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    ÄlterÄlter Registered User regular
    Potential Glitch regarding one of the AIs...

Minor location spoilers
    After reaching to arbortoreum I doubled back to neuromods and upon entering December was lying in the middle of the showroom floor destroyed... Does climbing into Alex's office trigger this?

That's the sound of my shoes.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Älter wrote: »

Minor location spoilers
    After reaching to arbortoreum I doubled back to neuromods and upon entering December was lying in the middle of the showroom floor destroyed... Does climbing into Alex's office trigger this?
    When you enter the GUTS without talking to December, January destroys it. I'm not sure what happens if you go to talk to Decenber first, I never did that.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Re: December
    If you go to Neuromods when December asks you to, January shows up and kills D.

December's whole purpose is to set up the possibility of you using Alex's escape pod to leave the station by yourself. January doesn't want this to happen.

If you want December alive you have to kill January before you go to meet December.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Älter wrote: »

Minor location spoilers
    When you enter the GUTS without talking to December, January destroys it. I'm not sure what happens if you go to talk to Decenber first, I never did that.

Still December/January talk.
    If you try to talk to December first, January will kill him just as you are about to speak with him.

You basically have to kill January if you want December to live.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

What doesn't make any sense is that whether you blow up the station or fry the Tyhpon at the heart, the end is always the same. You see the world in their "today," which has coral all over the place. Then you are given a choice: take hand or kill them all. Now this is as I was playing the nice guy, so I don't know if that changes that part of the ending. My guess is that it doesn't, otherwise there'd be two different endings simply based upon blowing up the station or keeping the research by shocking the Typhon. It just made the story feel kind of pointless, like anything you did had zero effect on their real world. It's no story about a snowglobe, but still felt a bit that way.

This doesn't make or break the game. It wasn't a bad ending, nor a good ending. It just... exists as an ending. Maybe I just missed something.

The ending:
    The ending provides a single ending that sequels can be built off of, rather than restricting it to one ending. Any sequel will presumably be built around a Typhon that's able to feel empathy.

With that said: ultimately, the game is about choice. Your choices aren't at all meaningless; they're literally a matter of life and death, just not in the way that you're lead to expect. If you act in a way devoid of empathy, you get terminated. The important call isn't whether or not you blow up the station or not. It's about what you did for the people along the way.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Okay I haven't read much of this thread at all because I just got the game, and I just played a few hours, and holy shit it's so good. It's like a brand new System Shock, but this time with a cool retro-futuristic aesthetic and paranoia out the wazoo! I'm having a lot of fun. I picked "Hard" because I wanted to have to use all sorts of crazy tricks but I've just been hoarding my neuromods so I have like 16 and no upgrades and now the enemies are getting a little tough (spoiler for a few hours in):
    Suddenly they're purple and spikey? And harder to kill/more damaging.

So I figure I have to upgrade myself at some point and start kicking ass. Or at least not getting reamed every time I meet a phantom.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Shadowhope wrote: »

The ending:
    The ending provides a single ending that sequels can be built off of, rather than restricting it to one ending. Any sequel will presumably be built around a Typhon that's able to feel empathy.

With that said: ultimately, the game is about choice. Your choices aren't at all meaningless; they're literally a matter of life and death, just not in the way that you're lead to expect. If you act in a way devoid of empathy, you get terminated. The important call isn't whether or not you blow up the station or not. It's about what you did for the people along the way.
    Except that your decision on the station's fate has zero repercussions. I did every ending possible via the nice-guy path and every single ending was exactly the same, with the exception of one of the bots stating that I decided to blow up or save the station. It didn't impact anything else; only a single 5 second quote was changed.

I get that it's keeping it open to sequels. That's kind of the nature of games these days. I just expected a different type of ending for a very different choice between blowing up the station to save the Earth from potential Typhon invasion (losing important research) or saving the station to preserve the research (putting Earth at risk to future Typhon). Both of those involved the same "This is our world now," and "Take my hand."

The only difference appears to be if you're empathetic or a sadistic asshole. That's fine in most cases, but with such a massive difference between the two decisions regarding the fate of the station... I expected more of a variety with the ending. And that variety would just be a 5-10 minute clip at the end,
    so it's not a major ask.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think the game is making the point that both decisions have pros and cons and both are, ultimately,
    totally irrelevant.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think the game is making the point that both decisions have pros and cons and both are, ultimately,
    totally irrelevant.

Exactly.
    Blow up the station or not, it's not at all relevant to what Alex is testing for. The genius of the choices in the game is that the final choice, which is usually the critical choice in choice based games, is basically entirely irrelevant. Prey was never about saving or destroying the station. It was about demonstrating the ability to show empathy or not.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    totally irrelevant.

Exactly.
    Blow up the station or not, it's not at all relevant to what Alex is testing for. The genius of the choices in the game is that the final choice, which is usually the critical choice in choice based games, is basically entirely irrelevant. Prey was never about saving or destroying the station. It was about demonstrating the ability to show empathy or not.
    If such is the case, I'm less than satisfied. I'm probably in the minority with this. Part of my sentiment is from how I think the game was good, but not great. Obviously just one poor sap's opinion, but I concede.

• Options
    As the one who recommended the game to you, I hope you enjoyed it.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Sirialis wrote: »
    As the one who recommended the game to you, I hope you enjoyed it.
    Don't get me wrong, it was fun and I enjoyed it. I'm not blown away by it, but I don't regret buying it at all. Thankee-sai.

EDIT: I'm thinking that since I ran my first playthrough without a sinlge Typhon mod, I missed out on some really interesting gameplay.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it's because I rebound my "use" key to a mouse thumb button or not, but in the recycler, when I try to hold down "use" to transfer all my junk, it just closes the recycler menu. Anyone know what's up?

• Options
    I'm not sure if it's because I rebound my "use" key to a mouse thumb button or not, but in the recycler, when I try to hold down "use" to transfer all my junk, it just closes the recycler menu. Anyone know what's up?
    Have you tried mapping it back to default or another keyboard key to see if you're right about mapping it to a mouse button?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Have you tried mapping it back to default or another keyboard key to see if you're right about mapping it to a mouse button?
    no

edit: update: yes, and that fixes it. So I guess I'll just live without it, since I much prefer "use" on my mouse thumb button. Maybe I'll submit a bug report. I wonder where I do that.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Decided to try and get a no-skills run in before I go full murderhobo. I was considering maybe trying to do the murderhobo thing and no-skills at the same time, but there's at least one place I can't access without repairing something else so that's out.

But this run is making me realize how much use I got out of hacking and repair and even the upgrade skills. It's definitely a challenge without them and feels much more survival horror.

• Options
    Decided to try and get a no-skills run in before I go full murderhobo. I was considering maybe trying to do the murderhobo thing and no-skills at the same time, but there's at least one place I can't access without repairing something else so that's out.

But this run is making me realize how much use I got out of hacking and repair and even the upgrade skills. It's definitely a challenge without them and feels much more survival horror.

Yeah, no skills can be rough and I couldn't imagine combining it with killing all the things. That run was mostly me bolting as quickly as possible from airlock/zone line to the next.

• Options

Yeah, no skills can be rough and I couldn't imagine combining it with killing all the things. That run was mostly me bolting as quickly as possible from airlock/zone line to the next.
    I imagine that
    the December line would be the best option. Skedaddle out of there as quickly as possible and fuck the rest of the crew.