Options

I got my drink, I got my music, but today I'm yelling [Job] don't kill my vibe!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    What fumes do you inhale at work? Today I inhaled the dust kicked up by the Dremel tool used to saw off a half inch thick cock ring on some 70 year old dude.

My singular experience with gummy cock rings make me ask.....why.....at 70?

Actually, its more how? Because that was quite a dexterous task in my 20s, with soft candy material. And he's 70....and you needed a dremel tool....

Not all cock rings are gummy.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    What fumes do you inhale at work? Today I inhaled the dust kicked up by the Dremel tool used to saw off a half inch thick cock ring on some 70 year old dude.

My singular experience with gummy cock rings make me ask.....why.....at 70?

Actually, its more how? Because that was quite a dexterous task in my 20s, with soft candy material. And he's 70....and you needed a dremel tool....

Not all cock rings are gummy.

The first song from the soundtrack of Avenue Q Part 2.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Two and a half hours left and I've got precisely squat to do. Can't bail out early today either.

God I hate Saturdays.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    If I ever needed proof as to why I've been stressed trying to escape my family's shadow, I just walked into the library, a candle jar on top of my pc, lit and burning.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My current position, until we get swapped to tech support in a couple of weeks, is ostensibly there to correct orders. But instead of tracking all the work we do, the tracking system is designed only to track completed orders. Orders that are actually fixed and generate revenue complete eventually, of course; but there's a lot of steps between us fixing it and it actually getting completed, and some of those steps involve a thoroughly unreliable dispatch office, so far too many of those orders end up getting cancelled, meaning that any work we did on them goes down the drain. On the other hand, if we find a reason to cancel the order while it's in our hands, we don't have to wait for any other department to do anything for us to get our productivity, instead we immediately get a tracked completion. Naturally, our stats tie into our bonuses.

Therefore we have a tracking system that incentives us to cancel potential revenue.

Huge operating losses every year, but holy hell those KPIs keep getting smashed out of the park!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Still could have been trouble. Once those jacks get loaded up, there ends up being a lot of stored energy. If anything were to slighty shift, that jack could have come flying out sideways. I acknowledge the environment is difficult to work in, but in my experience doing hazardous industrial work 1+ hours away from any care beyond emergency first aid, this is exactly the time to be extra cautious.

We did what we could with the tools we had. Unfortunately we are a bit limited.

I hope you've got a new lower balljoint on the way, because if that one's still in service it's just going to pop out again.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm putting together a robotics project for some summer students we're getting in two weeks. Their goal will be to develop an agile all-terrain robot that can complete an outdoor obstacle course. Because we don't want them taking forever to even get something moving, I've spent the last week putting together a basic roaming platform with some pretty simple navigational autonomy - the idea is it's a bit shit, but they can use it as a starting point, and spend the summer improving the mechanical design and software.

Only I took it out for a test run today and the fucking thing climbed over everything I put in its path without even slowing down.

Now I have to cripple it somehow.

Good news - I removed some of its higher processing loops and now it meanders like a - well, like a lobotomy patient.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Congratulations. You brain-damaged a robot who was performing too well. I think we all know who is going to be first against the wall in the inevitable robot uprising.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Robots are strong, and they eat old people's medication for fuel.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    So it's ten minutes before close. There is a crying, screaming, ill four year old with limited English comprehension. The doctor wants two extremely specialized tests done on her (test I cannot even pronounce) which will require an arm draw, because there's no way I'm getting 10 ml out of a finger poke. I've been there for nine hours, I am the only person in the building who can do phlebotomy, and I have about six months worth of experience. The youngest person I've done an arm draw on was 12. Children have tiny little veins in tiny little arms and their veins are hard to find because their entire arms are squishy like how veins feel. I am talking to her mother through an interpreter, saying that I will try if she wants to, but I can't promise that I can pull this off, and she might want to take her kid to the pediatric draw room at the hospital in the morning instead. Since she's already there and might not be able to get the interpreter in the morning, she wants me to try right then. Check one arm, nothing. Check the other, think that one particular tiny spot might just be a vein, have to try.

First poke, nothing but vein, butterflied that shit like I knew what I was doing, 10 mls drawn without hemolyzing (which would've ruined the sample), and as far as I can tell I didn't even leave a mark on the kid. Absolutely perfect.

Just wanted to brag.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Decided to set a firm date of July first. If I don't hear anything back at all by then, well, I'm gonna start applying to other things and move on. Can't sit around forever on this and not even hear anything.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    So it's ten minutes before close. There is a crying, screaming, ill four year old with limited English comprehension. The doctor wants two extremely specialized tests done on her (test I cannot even pronounce) which will require an arm draw, because there's no way I'm getting 10 ml out of a finger poke. I've been there for nine hours, I am the only person in the building who can do phlebotomy, and I have about six months worth of experience. The youngest person I've done an arm draw on was 12. Children have tiny little veins in tiny little arms and their veins are hard to find because their entire arms are squishy like how veins feel. I am talking to her mother through an interpreter, saying that I will try if she wants to, but I can't promise that I can pull this off, and she might want to take her kid to the pediatric draw room at the hospital in the morning instead. Since she's already there and might not be able to get the interpreter in the morning, she wants me to try right then. Check one arm, nothing. Check the other, think that one particular tiny spot might just be a vein, have to try.

First poke, nothing but vein, butterflied that shit like I knew what I was doing, 10 mls drawn without hemolyzing (which would've ruined the sample), and as far as I can tell I didn't even leave a mark on the kid. Absolutely perfect.

Just wanted to brag.

If I ever need the blood of a child for...reasons, in general, I guess, you will be the first person I call. Well done!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I really hope the brother responsible for the phone bill being so expensive this month is sweating over the remaining $21 I just paid that caused our service to get interrupted.

Or maybe its just mine?

• Options
    I really hope the brother responsible for the phone bill being so expensive this month is sweating over the remaining $21 I just paid that caused our service to get interrupted.

Or maybe its just mine?

Have you ever considered just making some plausible guesses about the Mafia and going into witness protection?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So, uh, job thread. I'm here looking for advice for my girlfriend.
    See, she works at the post office, and, similar to others here have complained about with their job, hers believes in punishment and has no respect for their employees. Go figure.
    As you can guess, she's being punished. She had the audacity to take some of her earned annual leave, and they relocated her to one of the worst places because fuck you that's why, how dare you take your annual leave!
    She does a supervisory role there, not the actual delivery of mail. What kinds of things can I help her with to find something else? Because, they're the worst.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Are you in the US? She should have a union rep and might be able to pull a seniority thing?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    In the US. No union. She's proto-management. Above the carriers, which are union, but not management.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Fuck thought they might still be covered since it's federal.

Probably not much she can do as long as it's following the rules unless she's willing to quit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Still could have been trouble. Once those jacks get loaded up, there ends up being a lot of stored energy. If anything were to slighty shift, that jack could have come flying out sideways. I acknowledge the environment is difficult to work in, but in my experience doing hazardous industrial work 1+ hours away from any care beyond emergency first aid, this is exactly the time to be extra cautious.

We did what we could with the tools we had. Unfortunately we are a bit limited.

I hope you've got a new lower balljoint on the way, because if that one's still in service it's just going to pop out again.

I don't think we'll be using it for the foreseeable future. I managed to drive it home yesterday, now it's just part of our Static Hilux art installation.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Fuck thought they might still be covered since it's federal.

Probably not much she can do as long as it's following the rules unless she's willing to quit.

Which is the reason for my question!

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Got off at nine so I'm on a rickety fire escape with a camping grill cooking burgers in the dark.

• Options
    Good burgs.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    talked to a former coworker today and obliged him when he asked for some free legal advice ("get a real attorney")

and fuck me I cannot believe no one told me to get an MBA instead of a law degree

the problem he's asking me about is how to make sure he gets his last quarterly payment of $37k for tuition reimbursement for his MBA.

what

WHAT

• Options
    Are MBA's not still something where there's way too many of them and they end up being the hated middle-management of companies?

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I mean they paid off his entire MBA over three years

in addition to his regular paycheck, which was appropriate for a BI Manager already

edit - what I mean is, there's obviously not that many of them if that's what they're getting offered

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Piece of shit family member of a patient is talking shit in a room and is saying shit like "you know me I don't take shit from nobody, they will be taking me out in hand cuffs tonight." I was like, cool you can leave now then. Then he starts back peddling and I'm like, nah, get out. So he leaves while saying this is bullshit. I guess he does take shit from me.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Are MBA's not still something where there's way too many of them and they end up being the hated middle-management of companies?

They're about one order of magnitude less than the crazy oversaturation of lawyers.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Generally there are, but they're also really only useful with a healthy dose of nepotism worked in for body. They won't often get you a job, but when they do, it's an excuse to have that job pay out easily in the 6 figures.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Jesus Christ tonight was the night of shitty family members. Pro tip: if you're the family of a patient in the hospital, and you can't express your anxiety in a way that's not disruptive to the care of your family member, you should remove yourself from the hospital. You're not helping the patient or anyone else by behaving like a jackass because the situation is too stressful for you.

TheStig on
  • Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    talked to a former coworker today and obliged him when he asked for some free legal advice ("get a real attorney")

and fuck me I cannot believe no one told me to get an MBA instead of a law degree

the problem he's asking me about is how to make sure he gets his last quarterly payment of $37k for tuition reimbursement for his MBA.

what

WHAT

everytime you talk about MBAs makes me consider it more and more since I'm teaching myself business intelligence type work right now

• Options
    Oghulk will teach himself business management strategies while building a successful freelance film journalism agency.

• Options
    Oghulk will teach himself business management strategies while building a successful freelance film journalism agency.

if only

• Options
    it's almost entirely statistics and the programming necessary to make visualizations and run machine learning, which I'm far more interested in

just so happens that ~visualizations~ and ~data science~ overlap with business intelligence now

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So I was finally offered that summer job I wanted from my Parks & Rec second job.

Apparently my supervisor called the former lead of it from last year to offer it to her, but the former lead refused to pick up the phone and instead texted her asking what was up.

And that infuriated my supervisor so much she decided to give it to me.

So this summer I will be running our free lunch program, in which we provide free meals to youths in our community. It'll be from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, with some evening shifts to cover rentals at our community center and I may be used to sub for our camp counselors on Fridays (which are the easiest day of our summer camp).

It isn't a lot of hours, but I'm hoping I can at least get up to 30 per week (which should cover all of my necessary expenses).

But I'm looking at supplementing that with maybe bar-tending? I've never done it, but it could be fun?

Either way, I'm counting it as a victory!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    If you want to make money and get ripped at the same time, find a gig barbacking at a place that stores everything in the basement. On a busy night, it's like you have a crossfit coach who's paying you to work out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh yeah! I sent a student to the office for the first time!

Which is astonishing really because Mr. C is the relaxed & fun substitute teacher, so if you piss him off you really had to work at it.

I was at the middle school, subbing for sixth grade math. There was a student who just refused to stay seated and do work. I even made the concession that I'd be happy if they read or wrote or were drawing or literally anything productive while sitting down.

Well, they didn't want to do that.

So I eventually just told them to go to another teacher's room for Think-Time (which is kind of a time-out for the middle school students). The class I wanted to send him to was even watching Wreck-It Ralph, it was a win-win for him but nope. He refused, so we had this dialogue:
    Me: Alright, at this point you have two options. You can head to Miss C's room or go to the office.
    Student: Fine, I'll take my seat...
    Me: Woah woah, no, no... We're past that point. You have the two options I just presented you.
    Student: I'll take my seat dude, it's not an issue.
    Me: Let me clear this up, dude. This isn't a debate and you aren't introducing a third choice. You're going to Miss C's room or the office, the choice is yours.
    Student: *angry silence*
    Me: So what will it be?
    Student: *angry silence*
    Me: And so you've chosen the office, terrific!

And then I walked over to the phone and jovially informed the office manager of the situation. A minute later the vice principal arrived with an anger that could rival the gates of hell itself.
    Vice Principal: Hey there, who was it?
    Me: Oh, right over there *points at student*.
    Vice Principal: REALLY!?! GRAB YOUR STUFF! NOW!!!
    Student: This isn't even fair I mea--
    Vice Principal: IT IS MAY! MAY! HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW THE EXPECTATIONS! GRAB YOUR STUFF NOW!!!!!!!!! *looking around the room* ANYONE ELSE HAVE A PROBLEM!?! ANYONE ELSE WANT TO GO!?!?!

All things considered, it was awesome to behold.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    If you want to make money and get ripped at the same time, find a gig barbacking at a place that stores everything in the basement. On a busy night, it's like you have a crossfit coach who's paying you to work out.

This would be ideal because I don't actually want to interact with people, I just want to be moving around & doing work unseen for a few hours.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hah yeah this time of year all school administrators are just done with students messing around.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Yeah, Friday was the last day of class for the local middle school, so the Teens These Days have been rowdier than usual. This week was a lot of staring at security camera feeds and philosophical debates on the nature of justice. "Okay, this behavior is clearly dumb and obnoxious, but does it actually violate any of our rules of conduct?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the state told us we have 10 more days of school that usual for 'reasons' and I am not amused

This discussion has been closed.