As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I got my drink, I got my music, but today I'm yelling [Job] don't kill my vibe!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I'm mixed up in a battle for my physical person.

See I got promoted and my new boss wants me ASAP, but my current bosses won't give me up until eventually sometime. They won't give beer an actual date and keep telling me it's the fault of a guy who just wrote even though he put his two weeks in. It's their fault for hiring someone who can't start until June 5th as far as I'm concerned. So now my new boss went to her boss who is going to talk to my bosses boss about nee getting there sooner. Meanwhile I still haven't been told what my new pay rate will be.

Uhhhhhhhhm, you didn't accept the promotion yet, did you?

I would tell your new boss that if they want you they at least need to, you know, make you an actual offer first. Go ahead and cc new boss' boss too for that matter.

fakeedit: something something shit on their desk

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hey, I had a 50/50 day!

1st, 2nd & 6th periods were great! Amazing stuff, truly tremendous class periods!

3rd, 4th & 5th were all garbage fires full of monstrous goblinoids who only reminded me that we can't label children as sociopaths.
    * In 3rd period I had to yell at a class after the teach next door came in and yelled at them. He then sent his two T.A.'s over and with my two T.A.'s, they acted as wardens of the classroom. And boy oh boy did the 6th graders not like that.
    6th grade student: "Why do you get to decide who gets to go outside, huh? Who put you in charge!?!"
    T.A.:"The teachers!"
    6th grade student: "You think just because you're a 7th grader and taller and more mature that you can just loom over us???"
    T.A.: "I mean... Yes?"

So, holy shit, so awful...
    *Then in 4th period I had a bunch of boys make a couple girls break down crying from bullying. When I confronted them on it, I was negated by their pure inhumanity at making another human being feel bad.
    Me: I want you to apologize to those girls and I want an actual apology because I get the distinct sense that you are only sad because you're in trouble.
    Student: I am! I don't feel bad at all! Why should I?
    Me: Good lord child, its call empathy!
    Student: Listen, I don't see why I would apologize for making someone cry. They make fun of me and I don't cry. I don't cry because crying is a weakness, and why would I want to tell them that's okay?
    Me: Nope, nope. I'm getting the counselor.
    Student: AWWW MAN!!!!

Just, oh my god...
    * And in 5th period I had to break up a fight.

Enough said, it was stupid and obviously the twelve year-old who instigated it and was throwing out punches immediately started crying when I told him he'd be getting in trouble for it.

But hey, the middle school has their tech teacher stepping away for two weeks and asked if I could cover every day for him.

That's a major promotion for me and hopefully I can do more stuff like that next school year!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    lol empathy in teens and preteens, might as well ask them to run a nuclear power plant

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I actually love substituting middle school

These little goblins act like little manipulating psychopaths but then they face me and 90% of the time give up because I say no to everything and tell them I don't give a shit about their problems.

The other 10% usually just go to the office cause I'm not gonna put up with little shits disrupting the classroom for more than 5 minutes and 3 warnings.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I mean, you can't label them as a sociopath, but that's just a technicality. You can sure diagnose them with conduct disorder with callous and unemotional traits, which apparently only manifests itself as full-blown adult psychopathy in 1 out of 5 cases (Minimum. It could be higher depending on how many psychopaths learn effective camouflage techniques early, which is understandably hard to measure.)

Sometimes it's a response to environment that can be fixed if you change the environment early enough, but it definitely looks like there's a genetic factor, and you can absolutely be born without empathy. You get cold, mean toddlers who grow into cold, mean kids who end up as cold, mean adults.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Children are like sociopathy cranium rats. They get worse the more of them are in an area.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh fuck.

Shit is going DOWN right now.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Oh fuck.

Shit is going DOWN right now.

Ooooo!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    bruh it's been like 45 minutes WHAT HAPPENED?!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

it went down

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    tonkka was actually just making a post while on the toilet

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    It did went down.

Details tomorrow when I am sober and not posting from my phone.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I'm mixed up in a battle for my physical person.

See I got promoted and my new boss wants me ASAP, but my current bosses won't give me up until eventually sometime. They won't give beer an actual date and keep telling me it's the fault of a guy who just wrote even though he put his two weeks in. It's their fault for hiring someone who can't start until June 5th as far as I'm concerned. So now my new boss went to her boss who is going to talk to my bosses boss about nee getting there sooner. Meanwhile I still haven't been told what my new pay rate will be.

Uhhhhhhhhm, you didn't accept the promotion yet, did you?

I would tell your new boss that if they want you they at least need to, you know, make you an actual offer first. Go ahead and cc new boss' boss too for that matter.

fakeedit: something something shit on their desk

I accepted, they made me an offer but the process for pay raises have to go through several levels of management. I assume I'll be told tomorrow

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

it went down

He yelled timber, you better move, you better dance

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I did not get to do the special project. In a week and a half I'll be taking tech support calls... or I guess, getting trained to take tech support. I sure hope I at least get a hint that I might be able to go to the field soon.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

*Metaphoric flushing sound*

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Well, then shit better not be going up.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I did not get to do the special project. In a week and a half I'll be taking tech support calls... or I guess, getting trained to take tech support. I sure hope I at least get a hint that I might be able to go to the field soon.

Sorry to hear that.

Didn't everyone in tech support hate the idea of the special project? Did you get told any reason you didn't get it?

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Nought wrote: »

Well, then shit better not be going up.

Sorry to hear that.

Didn't everyone in tech support hate the idea of the special project? Did you get told any reason you didn't get it?

The thing that I found when talking to a few people was that the schedules for the special project were odious to most people - few weekends off, (your days off might be Fri-sat, or Tues-wed) and some schedules working as late as 9pm, while in tech support you always get the weekend off and stay no later than 7p. That said, everyone in my group wanted to be on the special project, and 9 of our group did get to go which suggests that there were quite a few in tech support that refused the opportunity. But there had to have been at least 9 people in tech support that did want the role, because they took a total of 18.

There's still a small possibility that enough people will reject the supposed "bad" schedules that I might still get a shot, but in my group alone there are 3 people with higher seniority than me who will be offered the special project if that happens, and at least one of them has told me he'll take any schedule they're offering (which is how I feel about it, too.

On, I guess, the plus side, the bottom 6 of that group will get rotated out in 6 months and maybe I'll get a shot then. But I am desperately hoping I'll be happily in the field by then.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Speaking of the field tech jobs, when my buddy the company trainer went to talk me up to HR, one thing he found out from HR is that they are annoyed with people who "just apply to everything." Now I haven't applied to everything that comes up, but I have applied to a broad range of roles, some of which I was not qualified for. So I guess I should stop doing that and focus on field tech or other tech roles that seem to fit.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    And the fallout from Inventory is a 14 hour day!
    I am both wide awake and tired! this is fun

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    My work laptop is in for an OS upgrade

It's going to take 4 hours.

Easiest day ever

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Today is the last day of school with students. I am bringing my gas mask in case of inevitable stink bombs.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    58 hours worked last week. This week is on track for 60. Students are gone at least. Going to be a nice pay check when all this overtime hits.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    System has been down for two days now

IT employees seen outside of their den are accosted and interrogated. They have revealed fuck all, because they seem to know fuck all

Situation is not great. On the upside had a long lunch at the Quays bar and drank gin so that's good.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Speaking of the field tech jobs, when my buddy the company trainer went to talk me up to HR, one thing he found out from HR is that they are annoyed with people who "just apply to everything." Now I haven't applied to everything that comes up, but I have applied to a broad range of roles, some of which I was not qualified for. So I guess I should stop doing that and focus on field tech or other tech roles that seem to fit.

Find out who the hiring manager or recruiter is - reach out to them and ask to talk about the position for a half hour. Usually good for getting the foot in to get to actual interview stage.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

IT employees seen outside of their den are accosted and interrogated. They have revealed fuck all, because they seem to know fuck all

Situation is not great. On the upside had a long lunch at the Quays bar and drank gin so that's good.

your computer system has been down for two days??

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh god. There is so much food in every teacher plan area in this school right now. I must stay strong to prevent food comas.

Also there is a teacher bar crawl planned after school. I don't really want to go since it is downtown. And on a Friday it will be horrible. English teachers keep asking if I'm going but I have a suspicion that it is just because they know I don't drink and are probably hoping I'll drive some of them home afterward.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    We used to have our IT and engineering combined into one department. Then they hired this new MBA and gave him IT as his own department. He was not great to work for, so some IT guys transferred over to engineering to become devs. That left the IT director with one employee, which he quickly put on a PIP and fired 30 days later. So then the 2 former IT guys on our staff had to unofficially work IT for a few months while I assume the IT director spun around in his office chair and made fart noises.

Executives are parasites.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just got an SMS saying my visa has been processed! 5 months after I put in the application.

Now I'm really hoping I can arrange to collect it on Tuesday as I am coincidently taking someone else to the visa centre on that day. But that's pretty short notice so it probably won't work out that conveniently.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    bowen wrote: »

Computer works. Like, they turn on.

The servers connecting us to the network we need to do everything don't

There are 894 people in my office alone, and this is company wide.

Lol

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IMG_20170526_151442.jpg

Oops

Solar on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    you did not resize that

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    are you a bad enough dude to rescue wkf - aps.ini?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Also you need a bigger monitor so you can store more files :hydra:

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

Computer works. Like, they turn on.

The servers connecting us to the network we need to do everything don't

There are 894 people in my office alone, and this is company wide.

Lol

no redundancy with that many people is nuts

• Options
    you did not resize that

Lol

Reloaded

• Options

I have two monitors actually

That's just the one showing the fucked message

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Ah, one for storage and one for work, that's just common sense yeah

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    you did not resize that

Ah, one for storage and one for work, that's just common sense yeah

Just two monitors for everything really

They're both connected to the same desktop it's just I have two because I've got so much shit open usually, and I actually need it all.

• Options
    Also they do have a backup server and disaster recovery plan but I believe the backup server is contracted out to the same guys in the same place so when the main servers got hit with a power cut and the backup generators failed to kick in...

This discussion has been closed.