As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] D2 Beta: July 18 for PS4 Preorders; July 19 for XB1; Open Beta July 21-25!

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The wolves shotgun that was a fusion rifle was pretty exotic too.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Most important response I've found in that AMA:
    IGN user WBDawg asks: What are some the changes you're making to the game as a result of feedback from the beta?

Luke Smith
    : By the time beta was live, the team had already been playing a pretty different version of the PvE tuning from our couches (grenades are more powerful, kinetic/energy weapon damage improvements, power ammo economy refactor). We’ve also made tons and tons (and tons) of changes of varying sizes that is a function of closing down a video game (we’re almost done!). In the wake of the beta, we’ve made a few changes that will increase Super Regeneration across the game.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    IGN user Ranondra asks: Will our characters remain mute through the sequel?
    Destiny 2 Project Director Luke Smith: Yep.

:mad:

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    Most important response I've found in that AMA:
    IGN user WBDawg asks: What are some the changes you're making to the game as a result of feedback from the beta?

Luke Smith
    : By the time beta was live, the team had already been playing a pretty different version of the PvE tuning from our couches (grenades are more powerful, kinetic/energy weapon damage improvements, power ammo economy refactor). We’ve also made tons and tons (and tons) of changes of varying sizes that is a function of closing down a video game (we’re almost done!). In the wake of the beta, we’ve made a few changes that will increase Super Regeneration across the game.

And really the only answer that gives any appreciable information. Crappy questions over all and traditionally evasive answering.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Never was much of a silent protagonist fan.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    With three weekends of Trials of Osiris remaining, I wonder what fan-favorite maps they'll put in the rotation to give it the exciting sendoff it deserves!

This week is... The Drifter. Nevermind, then.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the map where they thought "What if we took Midship and made it bad"

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »

You have lots of ambient gasps and grunts to look forward to!

Voiced by acting royalty, no doubt.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    What I've learned from reading D2 preview stuff, watching the IGN videos with the devs, reading TW@B, etc. is that Destiny-era Bungie is still Destiny-era Bungie in D2. Their messaging hasn't really improved; it's still cryptic as hell in a way that blurs the line between "we don't want to say too much, because maybe it will be a better experience if you discover it yourself" and "we literally do not know or did not think of that or have no answer." Keeps people hopeful in the hype cycle - anything is possible when the devs tell you so little! - but introduces a ton of potential for letdown beyond launch, i.e. "Why didn't they do X or think of Y or plan for Z?"

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »

You have lots of ambient gasps and grunts to look forward to!

Voiced by acting royalty, no doubt.

I generally laugh just listening to the death grunts when we have to team wipe in a raid .

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    This style of Bungie communication plays way better pre-launch than post-launch.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    What I've learned from reading D2 preview stuff, watching the IGN videos with the devs, reading TW@B, etc. is that Destiny-era Bungie is still Destiny-era Bungie in D2. Their messaging hasn't really improved; it's still cryptic as hell in a way that blurs the line between "we don't want to say too much, because maybe it will be a better experience if you discover it yourself" and "we literally do not know or did not think of that or have no answer." Keeps people hopeful in the hype cycle - anything is possible when the devs tell you so little! - but introduces a ton of potential for letdown beyond launch, i.e. "Why didn't they do X or think of Y or plan for Z?"

I thought they were getting a bit better when people asked Luke Smith some stuff around E3 and he gave straight unequivocal answers yes/no. While I appreciate that they are trying to maintain hype and not give stuff away OR just don't want to deliver what they see is upsetting news, it is the way they do it that gets on my nerves. Deej is super bad about it in updates to. It's this weird roundabout flowerly language that tries to make things seem more grandiose than they actually are. Grates me something serious.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I like the Drifter. I would like to play some Trials, if anyone else is interested. Probably nobody is!

But maybe.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Silent protagonists work to some degree and in some situations, but at times it just doesn't make sense.

Like in the Homecoming missing, you telling me I wouldn't make any noise at all when
    my ghost tumbled over the ledge?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular

It is pretty representative of my personality, though....

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    you know, it's going to be weird not posting about maybe doing trials in D1 this weekend.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm down for Trials but I have more time tmrw

Also on the silent protag; it's just made my character feel more generic over time. When you confronted the Queen first trip to the Reef, the Ghost differs to you when speaking over comms. The Ghost reacts differently to new info than the Guardian, often being the hesitant one to hop into a fight. It added this nice dynamic where it felt like the Ghost really was watching over you, but begrudgingly accepted the Guardians desire to shoot mans.

Without the voices, it makes it feel like things are just happening to your Guardian while the Ghost narrates or reacts for you. Especially since you get those little moments that make the Guardian seem more fleshed out. The Stranger evens shoves aside the Ghost to directly address you, because she's more interested in working with Guardians, not the Light or the Ghost.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Zombie space liches lose their vocal chords along with their light.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's dumb that the story pretends you are "The Guardian" even in a Fireteam of 3 or 6. It's even dumber, now having established our character as specifically important, that they then go with silent protagonist with no characteristics to make us feel like we are the character.

I don't feel like I AM a character when I have three doing the same things one after another and play in a team setting where we're all important.

• Options
    Agree, jeddy. The tone should be like, "You and your fellow Guardians need to _____!" And then even if you prefer to play solo or are soloing the missions, it's like, we're all in this together. Would be way more consistent.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    At least show my fireteam in the goddamn cutscenes.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I get the need for "the guardian" to be us. Players can do a lot of things solo and how do you handle re doing content with other players?

Cannon being our guardian did all of it, others were the side characters in our various adventures.

That being said as lame as elder scrolls handles things, I'd love to see us earn titles and nicknames via gameplay. Just little dialog that reflects how we play the game. If we've gotten rank 5 iron banner or to a perfect trials card or beaten quests or raids or got certain exotics.

similar to how the year 1 video used our accomplishments to highlight our first year. But have it in game in some form.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I get the need for "the guardian" to be us. Players can do a lot of things solo and how do you handle re doing content with other players?

Cannon being our guardian did all of it, others were the side characters in our various adventures.

Players can do a lot of things solo, true, but not everything. I mean, raiding and Crucible both require a team (except I guess Rumble in PvP, but that's training or whatever, isn't it?). So no one Guardian is going to be able to defeat the Darkness. (Therefore, it makes sense that they'd say, "You must do X," but mean "you and your friends must do X."

Or, er, yeah, the Darkness is kind of not a thing anymore, right? Didn't Bungie say that? So... no one Guardian is going to be responsible for saving the universe or whatever.

GMaster7 on
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular

That being said as lame as elder scrolls handles things, I'd love to see us earn titles and nicknames via gameplay. Just little dialog that reflects how we play the game. If we've gotten rank 5 iron banner or to a perfect trials card or beaten quests or raids or got certain exotics.

similar to how the year 1 video used our accomplishments to highlight our first year. But have it in game in some form.

Don't the NPCs have different lines based on your accomplishments, or did they just change at a certain point for everyone?

I know Rahool will occasionally call me "the slayer of Oryx." I seem to dimly recall Eris greeting you differently after beating Crota, as well.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Erevar wrote: »

Don't the NPCs have different lines based on your accomplishments, or did they just change at a certain point for everyone?

I know Rahool will occasionally call me "the slayer of Oryx." I seem to dimly recall Eris greeting you differently after beating Crota, as well.

I think these lines are part of why the single player story of the last few DLCs capstones with killing a thing "for the first time". I'd be interested to hear if any of them were really Raid specific.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I think this is accurate. Eris had a bunch of different greetings after you downed Crota. Could have been quest-related.

Edit: I want a solid quest system in D2 and hope we get it. Love quests and need to scratch my MMO itch. Blind exploration is cool and exciting, too, but I want MY QUESTS

GMaster7 on
  • Options

Yup. Shaxx changes his greetings too.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I think there's triggers for story and maybe raid completions. But I'd like it more like that legend video which was less things every guardian would do
    And more your play style. Stuff like which faction you support most, your pvp vs pve preference.

I feel like the game gets close to doing it. But I would love to look at a guardian and by their gear or title or something know "that guy raids a ton, that one does s lot of iron banner that one is great at sparrow races" etc

As well as the npcs reacting as well. They react to story triggers but i think that's it. Is love for them to comment for a week after rank 5 in iron banner or if you just got a bunch of certain medals in the crucible. Similar stuff to this's legend videos.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Oh god yes! I *NEED* NPCs to recognize my SRL accomplishments. I didn't even know until now, but now it's unbearable

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Had a fun night in Crucible after raiding last night. Ups and downs, but overall fun. In the end I went solo until I was able to end the night on a match I felt comfortable with:
    ljuhr8tz7riy.png

For the other matches, I made this.
    5etyvk9hh5sy.png

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think there's triggers for story and maybe raid completions. But I'd like it more like that legend video which was less things every guardian would do
    And more your play style. Stuff like which faction you support most, your pvp vs pve preference.

I feel like the game gets close to doing it. But I would love to look at a guardian and by their gear or title or something know "that guy raids a ton, that one does s lot of iron banner that one is great at sparrow races" etc

As well as the npcs reacting as well. They react to story triggers but i think that's it. Is love for them to comment for a week after rank 5 in iron banner or if you just got a bunch of certain medals in the crucible. Similar stuff to this's legend videos.

This sounds awesome - thanks for clarifying - but I think you really touched on something w/r/t how our characters grow and are distinguished. As in, they don't (enough) and they aren't (enough). In the lead-up to D1, so much of Bungie's messaging was, "You'll go on quests to exciting, exotic locations [check] and come across other Guardians doing the same [sorta check] and discover unique and amazing weaponry (and armor?) that will show off your accomplishments and the fruits of your labor [not really]."

Granted, this is tough with something like Destiny, at a certain point. I mean, you can only put out X amount of content, and people are going to hit it hard - grinding it repeatedly, even if you have low drop rates - so unless you can procedurally generate a ton of super diverse planets - almost a la No Man's Sky - you aren't going to have people encountering super unique gear that others will marvel at. What invariably happens is that the data miners tell us what the exotics are and post it all to reddit, people figure out how to get what they want and then how to get everything else for the sake of completionism, and everyone eventually has everything (and determines what the "best loadouts" are).

It's kinda sad. The whole thing was exacerbated by how little content was in D1 at launch - VoG was amazing, but it was the only "you have to see this" content that carried unique, "I can see you've been through that raid by your gear" stuff. The Mythoclast stands out especially. THAT was a sort of mythical thing when discovered, now that I think about it. It was super OP, and no one had seen anything like it before, and then suddenly there it was. So many wanted it and couldn't get it (which was unfortunately due to shitty RNG). Black Spindle was that way as well, although everyone basically slammed against that mission until we all had it, so it was more like a fun in-game community event than a mysterious new weapon introduction.

I just hope Bungie knows how to handle gear in D2. I suspect it'll be "D1 on a grander scale," which... is fine. But I would have loved gear and character details that could only be acquired from special quests and missions, stuff that makes you feel like you've Become Legend in a way that others have not. They HAVE said that they're introducing more exotic quests, so maybe they're on the right track. And I don't have any answers as to how they'd implement what I'm talking about. Just... give me a helmet that I can only get by doing a special challenging thing in a Strike. Or a neon paint stamp on one of my pauldrons. Or a shimmering cloak with unique effects. Or an aura. Or enchantment-type shit for my weapons (and I don't mean Eververse gun skins).

GMaster7 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    Had a fun night in Crucible after raiding last night. Ups and downs, but overall fun. In the end I went solo until I was able to end the night on a match I felt comfortable with:
    ljuhr8tz7riy.png

That was really fun. What he's not saying is that we were rolling around in a near full fireteam, which was cool, but he accused Booker and Arteen of ruining the matchmaking and rage quit after a match where Booker got 27 kills, I got 19, and everyone else was in single digits.

Ilu gravi mwah mwah

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Let's take a step back for a minute guys.

Because Booker is definitely not ruining the matchmaking (probably).

He's just getting all the kills.

Playing team gametypes with Booker there are three teams, Alpha, Bravo, and Booker.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Booker has an Elo rating of 1632 and Gravi has one of 1038 (Edit: different trackers, cant be compared.)... So yes, Booker is probably fucking up his matchmaking.

On that note, I apparently have an Elo rating a little short of Booker's right now, at 1610.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I know you're joking, but for the benefit of my (sterling, obviously) reputation, I will say the following:
    I never rage quit! I left between matches. Announced before the match started that it would be my last :razz: And although I joked about Arteen and Booker ruining the SBMM, I also said in all seriousness that I didn't believe it.

EDIT: Even though I maintained a near-50% win/rate last night, it still dropped my Elo from Platinum I to Gold II :-1:
    xbpcuxdij93k.png

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    It affects it some for sure. The times I've hit 40+ kills in a match are when the majority of my fireteam just doesn't crucible much. It can also swing the other way

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    For example, my friend Tini(est Haiku) does all right in his own matchmaking bracket, goes positive everytime I believe... When he teams up with me and Jay his scores suddenly turn into this for a while.

i1Yd2ell.jpg
    wJ6c0y1l.jpg

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Booker has an Elo rating of 1632 and Gravi has one of 1038... So yes, Booker is probably fucking up his matchmaking.

On that note, I apparently have an Elo rating a little short of Booker's right now, at 1610.

You're comparing Guardian.gg Elo to Destiny Tracker. Completely different scale. Here's Booker from the same playlist:

2ail5yvkflv4.png

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I know you're joking, but for the benefit of my (sterling, obviously) reputation, I will say the following:
    I never rage quit! I left between matches. Announced before the match started that it would be my last :razz: And although I joked about Arteen and Booker ruining the SBMM, I also said in all seriousness that I didn't believe it.

EDIT: Even though I maintained a near-50% win/rate last night, it still dropped my Elo from Platinum I to Gold II :-1:
    xbpcuxdij93k.png

To quote Booker here, Destinytracker is a site you use to feel good about your scores because its standards for Platinum and Diamond are a fair bit more lenient than most other trackers.

For example I'm not entirely convinced that I'm a top 1% Diamond class Sparrow racer, but thats what Destinytracker tells me.
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Booker has an Elo rating of 1632 and Gravi has one of 1038... So yes, Booker is probably fucking up his matchmaking.

You're comparing Guardian.gg Elo to Destiny Tracker. Completely different scale. Here's Booker from the same playlist:

2ail5yvkflv4.png

Oh, you are pretty much right, it was actually from Trialsreport, but thats lower than I expected for Booker... Odd. (Edit: Playlist being Mayhem Clash probably has something to do with it.)

I tried picking up your score from there too, but it said "API troubles" or some such.

Sirialis on