As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] D2 Beta: July 18 for PS4 Preorders; July 19 for XB1; Open Beta July 21-25!

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    I would have grabbed Guardian.gg stats but it lists everyone with no Elo for all the games we played last night

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Arteen wrote: »
    With three weekends of Trials of Osiris remaining, I wonder what fan-favorite maps they'll put in the rotation to give it the exciting sendoff it deserves!

This week is... The Drifter. Nevermind, then.

Right now I seriously cant think of a worse map than The Drifter for Trials, I'd even take First Light over it.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    With three weekends of Trials of Osiris remaining, I wonder what fan-favorite maps they'll put in the rotation to give it the exciting sendoff it deserves!

So what you're saying is I should really nag you about doing trials, right? :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I don't think Mayhem Clash is really the best mode to put your Elo faith in.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Vance has lines for after you've gotten a Flawless ticket (or so I thought but upon a google I can't see anything on this). I swear he says different things if you have a 9 win card but I guess I imagined it. He does say some vaguely positive stuff so maybe I just got hyped after a Lighthouse visit.

I think they did an OK job giving us cool gear for certain activities. Raid drops were butthole year 1 but TTK fixed a lot of that, and back before the IB changes chasing that gear took some definite time sunk. I think that's just the classic MMO problem, where players with more time to game have the upperhand at getting late-game drops from either PvP or PvE.

I'd like more unique gear. I actually kind of liked how they retired some guns after Y1 making them basically rarest in the game (like the OG Queens Wrath guns). I don't mind cooler gear being harder to get to kind of build that anticipation for the drop.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

Right now I seriously cant think of a worse map than The Drifter for Trials, I'd even take First Light over it.

Next week's map is now First Light.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »

Next week's map is now First Light.

First Light, Bastion and Skyshock rotation.

Final Week is Icarus and Sector 618. On Xbox, every match ends abruptly upon leaving orbit and both teams get losses.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Final week is Burning Shrine but the Sun is perpetually in your eyes no matter where you are

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Final week is Burning Shrine but the Sun is perpetually in your eyes no matter where you are

Honestly I don't think I'd care. I'd enjoy a well-lit version of that map. Would be kinda cool.

• Options
    I just thought of something terrible/great:
    One in 5000 "Shiny" guns, like Shinies in Pokemon

Yes plz

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    I just thought of something terrible/great:
    One in 5000 "Shiny" guns, like Shinies in Pokemon

Yes plz

VClBpGy.jpg

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    With static rolls for Destiny 2, it'd be the only way getting a dupe will be exciting. Or maybe have Ornaments that unlock if you infuse enough of the same gun into it, almost like a prestige. I dunno, getting dupes in Crucible in beta was really annoying by the end. There was only a handful of guns to get, and they were all the same, so there was no "Is it good!?" moment you have in D1. I guess it does mitigate the pain of getting 10 Eyaslunas with bad perks if everyone else is too.

Part of the fun with godrolls is the excitement of finally getting that white whale gun to drop for you. Fatebringer, Black Hammer, Matador, Doctrine. Each one took forever to get, and when I finally did I yelled and did an 80's freeze frame jump. Hopefully they still have a way to make those consecutive repeats exciting or at least worthwhile.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    The best weapon system a game like Destiny could have is random drops with a reforging mechanic, combined with the weekly vendor resets. I have no end to my frustration with Bungie for never bringing reforging back.

The excitement only exists if you actually do get that god roll. In year 2 I never got a god roll Party Crasher, and that put me at a very tangible disadvantage to the numerous opponents I faced who did have one. There were countless times where that disadvantage left me dead and my opponent with a sliver of health in shotgun duels. In year 3 I faced hundreds of opponents with mas range/impact Matadors before I finally got one myself. For months I just could not reliably compete in shotgun duels and that is incredibly limiting to anyone who actually wants to play competitively.

I never got an Imago Loop or Eyasluna worth using. Nearly two years in, nobody has the PvE god roll Eirene.

Some weapon rolls, even if not the "god" variety, allow you to change up your playstyle in a unique way, but first you actually need the weapon. I hunted for a fast-charging fusion rifle with Icarus for a year-and-a-half before I finally got one. It was amazingly fun because I could finally use a fusion rifle vertically. Thanks to the recent special ammo nerf it was rendered useless within a week. &#*$! you too, Bungie.

My biggest worry with the static rolls is that some of my favorite weapons, byproducts of unlikely perk combinations, probably won't exist anymore.

Arteen on
  • Options
    LuarithaeLuarithae Registered User regular
    Been out for a few days? What's going on?

They are dead...you..are..not...
  • Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Man, reading through this thread to get back into the mindset for D2.. and my stars and garters, I've forgotten a ton about the additions made to the game shortly before and then after I left.

I think I did Trials maybe once or twice, for example, and IB maybe five or six times.

What was the 3v3 mode, with escalating wins/ranks/rewards? I think I did that twice before I nope'd out.

Long story short: I really am reminded how the pvp focus kind of edged me out, since I wasn't very good at it. I wonder how much of that element of the game is going to make it into the initial vanilla release of D2. Do we have any idea of the game modes already, or is that being held to a later press release?

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Man, reading through this thread to get back into the mindset for D2.. and my stars and garters, I've forgotten a ton about the additions made to the game shortly before and then after I left.

I think I did Trials maybe once or twice, for example, and IB maybe five or six times.

What was the 3v3 mode, with escalating wins/ranks/rewards? I think I did that twice before I nope'd out.

Long story short: I really am reminded how the pvp focus kind of edged me out, since I wasn't very good at it. I wonder how much of that element of the game is going to make it into the initial vanilla release of D2. Do we have any idea of the game modes already, or is that being held to a later press release?

I actually think the game got less PVP focused as time went on. Like it ramped up when they brought out IB and eventually Trials but they really started pushing the PvE stuff in later mini updates too.

The problem is that everybody has all the PvE stuff on lockdown now so it doesn't get talked about. PvP by it's nature is still something "new" or at least have experiences that are different than before.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

I actually think the game got less PVP focused as time went on. Like it ramped up when they brought out IB and eventually Trials but they really started pushing the PvE stuff in later mini updates too.

The problem is that everybody has all the PvE stuff on lockdown now so it doesn't get talked about. PvP by it's nature is still something "new" or at least have experiences that are different than before.

Agreed. I don't think that the game got more PvP focused, as there were only 2 PvP modes that drew a lot of people (IB and Trials). Regular PvP was just...regular PvP. I think what gives people the illusion of PvP being such a huge part of the game is that PvE content only lasts so long before it can become rote. Edit- For instance, outside of a couple outliers a lot of people do PvP to try and get perfect rolls on weapons but most of those are applicable for PvP only. PvE "god rolls" outside of a handful of specific weapons tend to be a lot more about preference than the *meta* and aren't chased quite as hard (besides things like the Imago Loop, but as mentioned before, it's an outlier). PvP on the other hand is infinitely repeatable and will never be exactly the same every time, so as Quip mentioned it is what ends up being talked about the most.

For instance, I love IB, can't stand Trials. I have only done Trials a hand full of times either because I wanted to roll the dice to try and get a certain drop or because buddies wanted to do it (or we were just bored and said, fuck it). Judging by this forum and the amount of time spent talking about Trials on a weekly basis you might suspect I had missed out on 80% of the game, which of course is an illusion, as I was never lacking things to do if I so desired.

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Pvp is just something that invokes more discussion. What makes Destiny so great is the different ways you can play for different moods and different groups.

As much as I talk pvp and clearly play a lot of it. I love I can spend my solo time doing patrols or daily quests or bounties. Spend some chill time doing strikes or casual pvp with friends. Or plan out a more event based evening of raiding or trials. The reward circle between pvp and pve is perfect. But talking pve really only makes a lot of sense the first few weeks of new content drop

D2 seems to have expanded on that a bit got pve but a little less for pvp. I hope they have plans for 6v6 or 8v8 game modes. Because full fireteam PA is tons of fun. i don't expect it at release but for dlc? I would love two additional playlists "big team battle" (completely casual, zero use of SBMM) and clan battle where your clan is ranked OW style and you play against other clans.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Side note but does anyone feel like drops got incrementally more forgiving since the Age of Triumph update? I've gotten two or three genuinely god rolled guns from random drops and even my random crap seems better, on average, than it used to be.

• Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Appreciate the insightful responses, Quip & Squall.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    I got my shirt! Sorry that my mirror's a little dirty!

8Lap7eal.jpg

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Appreciate the insightful responses, Quip & Squall.

Not a problem, just don't want to see ya turn away because of a perception that isn't 100% accurate.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Nice, I just got my Triumph shirt. It's beautiful

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I'll be on in about an hour if anyone's up for a few cards.

• Options
    Hey. We are trying to complete one trial card run in ps4 but our third disconnected. Anyone could help us finish? We are killing ourselves just to make it quick

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    I know the population is super sparse these days, but you could probably snag someone off of destinylfg.com or .net real quick

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Yeah we tried but is not like we are getting much luck

• Options
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Thats a lovely TV stand

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    quick question about rank 7 in the AoT log:

Do you have to complete a page to get a level, or do individual things increase the bar without finishing any given page?

Because I like to put things off, I was thinking about burning through some heroic strikes later to get a lot of the Hunter/Warlock things I didn't get but if I have to actually complete the pages, I'm not sure if that'll work.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Do you have to complete a page to get a level, or do individual things increase the bar without finishing any given page?

Because I like to put things off, I was thinking about burning through some heroic strikes later to get a lot of the Hunter/Warlock things I didn't get but if I have to actually complete the pages, I'm not sure if that'll work.

You get XP for every node you fill. Doing an entire page nets you a bonus node, so full pages will rank you up slightly faster than scattered nodes but you can likely finish scattered nodes faster than full pages.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

You get XP for every node you fill. Doing an entire page nets you a bonus node, so full pages will rank you up slightly faster than scattered nodes but you can likely finish scattered nodes faster than full pages.

cool, thanks. I think the only one I was really concerned about for any given class was the PvP one but I seem to recall noticing last week it counted assists too, so that actually shouldn't be bad either. I'm already halfway to rank 6, it'd be cool if the class pages got me to 7 without fretting over nightfalls.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

cool, thanks. I think the only one I was really concerned about for any given class was the PvP one but I seem to recall noticing last week it counted assists too, so that actually shouldn't be bad either. I'm already halfway to rank 6, it'd be cool if the class pages got me to 7 without fretting over nightfalls.

The PvP one goes super fast. I jumped into PvP to do some bounties and by the time I'd finished a half a dozen matches (of Zone Control, of all things) I was at like 90 kills. And I'm not good at PvP.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Yes, assists count towards the kill counts, so if you're not the best killer, go ahead and spam some shots around to get hits in.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Also the rift one does not actually require you to dunk, it counts any dunk that happens (even the enemy's, I think).

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    Thats a lovely TV stand

Thanks, I picked it out!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I'm just trying to finish my Triumphs, game, stop fuckin' matching me against Crucible gods every damn match. I just want my t-shirt.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I'm just trying to finish my Triumphs, game, stop fuckin' matching me against Crucible gods every damn match. I just want my t-shirt.

Update:
    iP8SEgn.jpg

Had to go grenade two groups of fallen on Earth, but got it done. Now to buy my shirt later today once I have some money.

• Options
    Finally finished the Stormcaller multi-kill portion to wrap that quest, now I just need to finish Golden Gun multi-kills and most of the Sunsinger crucible quest and I'll have wrapped the Hunter and Warlock pages in the book. Mayhem Clash is great for getting super kills and it's also completely miserable because popping storm is basically putting up a huge flashing sign that says murder me. I'm going to enjoy the Golden Gun portion tonight way more.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    So my clan (3 members) and another clan (3 members) are merging for D2. Is there any special reason I should take care of the merge today (before the D2 transfer) or can I wait until D2 to set it up?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.