As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] 2017 Thread - All Done Till Next Year

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2017/06/14/hard-mode

THE ACCURACY OF THAT LAST PANEL THOUGH

2d86b8aw7vzj.jpg

that shit is fucking perennial

yeah, i saw that comic and immediately flashed back to my comments on the subject. and they say they don't read the forums. :P

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It combines elements of online worlds, early-access releases, role-playing games, and procedural generation. It’s also, admittedly, still pretty rough around the edges. Many of the game’s key elements — from graphics to combat to narrative — are still being implemented.

“There’s still a lot of work to do,” Ancel says, “but we now really believe that we’re going to make this game.”

Three years ago they started working on the technology that would power the experience — it started out as a kind of solar system simulation tool — and only recently have they started actually building the game. “When you don’t have this technology, you can’t really start the game,” Ancel explains. “It’s too difficult. But now we can say for sure that we will make this game, we’ll finish it. Because we have the technology for it.” He describes the game’s current status as “day zero of development.”
    It all sounds incredibly ambitious, especially when you consider that Ancel also wants to treat Beyond Good & Evil 2 as something of an early access title, with a community of players offering feedback and testing early prototypes. The version of the game I saw, meanwhile, was still in a very early state. The graphics were mostly placeholder (Ancel says that “two weeks ago there were no graphics”) while aspects like combat and any kind of narrative aspect had yet to be implemented.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/14/15801280/beyond-good-evil-2-preview-michel-ancel-interview-e3-2017

This game sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen and is not going to be out for a very long time. Not even sure what the point was of making that ridiculously stupid CG trailer when it could change drastically considering the concept is barely fleshed out.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    It combines elements of online worlds, early-access releases, role-playing games, and procedural generation. It’s also, admittedly, still pretty rough around the edges. Many of the game’s key elements — from graphics to combat to narrative — are still being implemented.

“There’s still a lot of work to do,” Ancel says, “but we now really believe that we’re going to make this game.”

Three years ago they started working on the technology that would power the experience — it started out as a kind of solar system simulation tool — and only recently have they started actually building the game. “When you don’t have this technology, you can’t really start the game,” Ancel explains. “It’s too difficult. But now we can say for sure that we will make this game, we’ll finish it. Because we have the technology for it.” He describes the game’s current status as “day zero of development.”
    It all sounds incredibly ambitious, especially when you consider that Ancel also wants to treat Beyond Good & Evil 2 as something of an early access title, with a community of players offering feedback and testing early prototypes. The version of the game I saw, meanwhile, was still in a very early state. The graphics were mostly placeholder (Ancel says that “two weeks ago there were no graphics”) while aspects like combat and any kind of narrative aspect had yet to be implemented.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/14/15801280/beyond-good-evil-2-preview-michel-ancel-interview-e3-2017

This game sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen and is not going to be out for a very long time. Not even sure what the point was of making that ridiculously stupid CG trailer when it could change drastically considering the concept is barely fleshed out.

That's just straight up corporate buzzword salad.

It's either complete bullshit or the most phenomenal scope creep I've ever seen.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Please don't be Beyond No Man & Sky.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Whew, just caught up on yesterday's news and posts because I was too busy (and then tired) to keep up with everything.
    Now it turns out it isn't even PS4 exclusive.

The rumor didn't claim that, it already said they didn't care if it made it to PC.

Except we already know it isn't just PS4/PC, it's also coming to Xbox.

Read.
    vbSyqyK.png

Yeah, and? We're meant to believe Sony "paid big" for a game that's coming out on Xbox, while Capcom were ready to throw handhelds in the trash? That makes no sense to me. I think it makes a lot more sense Capcom just wanted to push Monster Hunter to a worldwide audience, while also planning on bringing back Monster Hunter Portable for Japan on Switch.

What do you mean, yeah and? I had to correct you twice because you didn't even bother to read it, and apparently just assumed it said the game was PS4 exclusive. It didn't...therefore as stated earlier, it got a surprising number of details correct, lending credence to the rumor.

You're arguing with zero basis that "Capcom just wanted to push MH to a worldwide audience," and then we get some pretty clear indications today that they don't plan on localizing XX in the west. How does that fall in line with what you're saying? Doesn't sound very "maximum western audience potential" to me.

But if the rumor is right, then everything falls nicely into place.

I did read it, did you? The 4chan poster said they didn't care about Xbox or PC in the first post but then went on to say it's PS4/PC later on. That was wrong. It talked about MHX's success causing a panic, when in reality, Capcom would've been disappointed because they were down significantly. Lastly, the rumour says MHW has "limited weapons" when they've already confirmed it has all the same weapon types. So no, it wasn't completely correct.

Zero basis? Everything they're doing with the game makes it pretty clear they're pushing it to a worldwide audience, especially the simultaneous worldwide launch. And as for XX, Capcom later clarified that they have no plans "at this time", which is the standard response for unannounced games.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    So basically, zero reason to get excited about BG&E2 (other than general excitement at knowing that Ubi and Ancel are trying to revisit that universe). It's a mere pre-production concept right now with absolutely zero focus. Barely an engine (and I'm still not confident that this exists). Barely a story. Lots of grandiose promises. No confident position on features, other than references to every genre-of-the-month and feature-of-the-month. Procedurally generated open-world multiplayer narrative with progression loops, create-a-character, phat loot, player-created content, seamless surface-to-space gameplay, ship crafting and modification, unforgettable characters, blah blah blah nothing. Here's Ubi's description from its YouTube channel:

"Journey to System 3, for the prequel to one of Ubisoft’s most beloved games! Fight alongside unforgettable characters in a stunning new solar system, as you struggle for freedom and the right to determine your own fate among the stars. Play the adventure by yourself or with friends in a vast and seamless online playground.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is the spiritual successor to the cult classic, a prequel that will transport players into a profoundly multicultural world, capturing the spirit of the original with grandiose decors and intense dramas that play out across a vast universe. Through the Space Monkey Program, Ubisoft Montpellier will be developing the game alongside its community of fans.

System 3 has become the center of interstellar trade and colonization in the Milky Way of the 24th century, thanks to the creation of Hybrid slaves. While private enterprises fight over resources and power, the first colonists weave together the rich and diverse spiritual and cultural heritages of Old Earth to give meaning to their existence. In this new era of piracy, we will rise from lowly pirate to legendary captain at the helm of massive star-faring vessels, adventuring alongside crews of colorful characters to fight for freedom and the right to determine our own fate among the stars!"

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah I have to have a "Microsoft account" for my ancient Hotmail these days.

I still use my hotmail account too!

We are dinosaurs for Mario's hat domination.

I thought I was the only one. My hotmail account is over 18 years old. Still works!

I thought I was the only one. My hotmail account is over 18 years old. Still works!

Checking in to say I also have a hotmail account I actively use.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    My Hotmail is now my spam repository.

Fun fact, my wife has been working on the Outlook team (which recently took over Hotmail) for over a decade. If you have any suggestions for better email usage, send 'em my way. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I did read it, did you? The 4chan poster said they didn't care about Xbox or PC in the first post but then went on to say it's PS4/PC later on. That was wrong. It talked about MHX's success causing a panic, when in reality, Capcom would've been disappointed because they were down significantly. Lastly, the rumour says MHW has "limited weapons" when they've already confirmed it has all the same weapon types. So no, it wasn't completely correct.

Zero basis? Everything they're doing with the game makes it pretty clear they're pushing it to a worldwide audience, especially the simultaneous worldwide launch. And as for XX, Capcom later clarified that they have no plans "at this time", which is the standard response for unannounced games.

It's called a game still in development as of October last year, of course there was room to add Xbox or more weapons. PS4/PC may have even been shorthand since PC is nearly simultaneous with Xbox these days, and Xbox was already mentioned.

I don't know why we're even having this discussion. It was posted a few hours before cross-cross was announced and there was no precedent to expect that specific name. It calls World MH5 and on the show floor the reps are also calling it 5. There are so many specific details correct that it's ludicrous to disbelieve it at this point. We know World is being westernized to some extent. We know it's not on Switch. We know Switch has XX in Japan which is still traditional. You don't get that much right on a guess.

If you want to argue that their buddy leaked them those basics and they decided to jazz it up with completely false back room dealings, that avenue is open to you.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Fun fact, my wife has been working on the Outlook team (which recently took over Hotmail) for over a decade. If you have any suggestions for better email usage, send 'em my way. :)

Tell your wife I think it's odd that Microsoft Rewards emails get flagged as spam. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Seriously?

Support Email sub-addressing! That way I can get GitLab working properly with the university's Office 365! :)

(Or, you know, give her support every day for having to work with that behemoth of a product.. :) )

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

It's called a game still in development as of October last year, of course there was room to add Xbox or more weapons. PS4/PC may have even been shorthand since PC is nearly simultaneous with Xbox these days, and Xbox was already mentioned.

I don't know why we're even having this discussion. It was posted a few hours before cross-cross was announced and there was no precedent to expect that specific name. It calls World MH5 and on the show floor the reps are also calling it 5. There are so many specific details correct that it's ludicrous to disbelieve it at this point. We know World is being westernized to some extent. We know it's not on Switch. We know Switch has XX in Japan which is still traditional. You don't get that much right on a guess.

If you want to argue that their buddy leaked them those basics and they decided to jazz it up with completely false back room dealings, that avenue is open to you.

I never said it was a guess, so I have no idea what you're going on about here. My point was that I thought they got a legit leak but then added speculation and a Nintendo fan slant to it, hence the very negative stance on Sony, Capcom and MH World.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    So basically, zero reason to get excited about BG&E2 (other than general excitement at knowing that Ubi and Ancel are trying to revisit that universe). It's a mere pre-production concept right now with absolutely zero focus. Barely an engine (and I'm still not confident that this exists). Barely a story. Lots of grandiose promises. No confident position on features, other than references to every genre-of-the-month and feature-of-the-month. Procedurally generated open-world multiplayer narrative with progression loops, create-a-character, phat loot, player-created content, seamless surface-to-space gameplay, ship crafting and modification, unforgettable characters, blah blah blah nothing.

And they started pre-production three years ago. The game has a larger scope than Mass Effect Andromeda originally had, even though they almost certainly have a smaller team and fewer resources. Three years in is the point in the Andromeda dev cycle when they scrapped almost everything and just threw a game with a sane scope together in a year and a half.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'll pass all that info along to her.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Just to make sure I havent missed something, we still have not seen anything official about Octopath yet correct?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Give her a back rub every day because no way she gets paid enough to deal with the constant war of attrition that is Outlook.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Honestly, at this point, nothing. I have an Android phone, so everything I do is going to be through my gmail account. I guess the best thing she can do is make Windows Phone better than Android so I switch over to that and have to use my Microsoft account?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

A for reals request? On the web version: Have the back button take you back to the inbox from an email body (or whatever it is that you came from to get there).

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I will wager hefty sums that Beyond Good and Evil 2 will never come out.

This is not the first time there has been a CG trailer for it. Remember what happened last time? Nothing.

• Options
    @AbsoluteZero there live stream took an odd turn while i was watching yesterday. quotes below with the details.
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Mario Odyssey has a character called Jaxi. jacksie is a British slang for a persons arse. and they keep talking about Jaxi. every other word right now is basically 'arse' to my ears.
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    ok the 3DS Mii RPG thing has a move called 'Butt Jab'. Nintendo are just fucking trolling at this point.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Drez wrote: »
    Now where is Terraria god dammit.

Yeah it's interesting how different the two games are for being a bit conceptually similar. Much more of a campaign and progression in Terraria, more stuff in general. There's a need for both on the platform. I haven't followed it in a little while, since I had seen a future update would have a big crawling vehicle that just ate through dirt. Don't know if that ever came out even.

@UncleSporky I'm responding a bit late now but I don't think it did. They are working on update 1.3 for consoles, so I believe the idea here is that the 1.3 update will coincide with the Switch release. I took that from the developer's (?) forums.

I am just impatient.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I think that procedurally-generated content is going to stay right around No Man's Sky level for at least the next 7-12 years unless someone gets smart and procedurally generates n thousand planets/dungeons/story missions a month and then keeps a content team with really solid tools on staff to tweak, fix, and polish down the best n/m candidates and place them into the overarching game world.
    Doing that would really create the "open world, but you can make a difference!" experience that dev houses have been trying to build with, charitably, mixed success since at least Rift/Guild Wars 2. An amazing, devours-your-life, inifinte-fun-space reality that grows with you and lets you collaborate with the game world to make a story that is just yours (and hopefully your friends').
    But that's not going to happen, because having a content curation staff on payroll is opex, not capex, so the suggestion would never make it past the pitch meeting.
    These have been a grumpy old gamer's coffee-time thoughts on The Future™, brought to you by reading a bunch of E3 coverage while taking on caffeine.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I think that procedurally-generated content is going to stay right around No Man's Sky level for at least the next 7-12 years unless someone gets smart and procedurally generates n thousand planets/dungeons/story missions a month and then keeps a content team with really solid tools on staff to tweak, fix, and polish down the best n/m candidates and place them into the overarching game world.
    Doing that would really create the "open world, but you can make a difference!" experience that dev houses have been trying to build with, charitably, mixed success since at least Rift/Guild Wars 2. An amazing, devours-your-life, inifinte-fun-space reality that grows with you and lets you collaborate with the game world to make a story that is just yours (and hopefully your friends').
    But that's not going to happen, because having a content curation staff on payroll is opex, not capex, so the suggestion would never make it past the pitch meeting.
    These have been a grumpy old gamer's coffee-time thoughts on The Future™, brought to you by reading a bunch of E3 coverage while taking on caffeine.

NMS should not be considered the poster child for procedurally-generated content. It disappointed people for reasons outside of the content itself. It became boring seeing the same old stuff all the time when there weren't any quests, any building (at launch), any multiplayer. Some of their decisions kept things from being more interesting - they could've put in wandering alien NPCs that would shoot at the wildlife, get attacked, call for your help. They could've generated towns with their own little economy (sort of like what Minecraft does), generated long lost dungeons to explore with more defined rooms and traps (sort of like what Terraria or Starbound do). They could've found ways to lay out their crafting such that you didn't need to be guaranteed to find everything you need everywhere you go. They could've reduced the grind. They could've made planets spawn with more than one biome. None of these are prohibitive with current technology.

People get too focused on thinking that procedural means EVERYTHING is generated. You can create well-designed content, quests, dialogue, even long form stuff, and place it randomly. Yes, eventually people will have seen all of your designed content, it can't last forever, but the same applies to every other game too. It's not hard to make enough quests that it'll be quite a while before they start repeating.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    BGE2's new trailer deserves some credit for somehow making nearly everyone forget for at least a day that it was a 100% cgi only trailer with no gameplay to speak of.

• Options
    Nintendo's last day of E3 in about 5 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJABBMAqZsU

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Nintendo's last day of E3 in about 5 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJABBMAqZsU

New Kid Icarus or GTFO ;-)

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Does Mario's hat have a ghost in it?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Cappy started as Bowser's Top Hat but he throws it at Mario and he possess Mario's hat which then allows Mario to possess enemies.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Oh my god this rail riding in Splatoon 2. Looks fun as hell.

Edit: Shit. There is a tracker for which hero weapons you've beaten a level with.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    So, Cappy is a ghost.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So obviously this is what is going down.

Turns out Mario, the man, is just a dimwitted though well meaning plumber in Peach's castle. The hat contains the spirit of Peach's deceased lover, a valiant hero, who is able to continue protecting the love of his life by possessing a mute plumber.

Saddest part is is that he can never let her know he is still there for her without breaking the charm that keeps his immortal soul tethered to the hat. Tragic

This is now my head-canon.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I will have to dig out my old Super Mario Bros. manual. I think it had a little story about how it started. It was mainly the Bros going down a pipe and ending up in the kingdom.

Nostalgia.

• Options
    Cappy is a spirit conduit.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    i can't get past what this does to everyone else now though.

What is Wario.

Who is Luigi.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Maybe the real Wario and Luigi are the friends we made along the way.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    What annoys me is that they don't keep the Japanese artwork on the game cases and boxes. They even did that in the NES days.

• Options
    a demo of Ever Oasis for the 3DS will go up on the eshop around noon* today.

*i'm assuming that's noon Pacific.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    The 4 Plumbers of the apocalypse.

Mario is War
    Luigi is Death
    Wario is Pestilance
    Walugi is Famine

• Options
    Mario Odyssey has a 2 player mode where p1 controls Mario and p2 controls Cappy.

• Options
    jesus christ they're talking about Jaxi again only this time its 'riding the Jaxi'. why you doing this to me Nintendo?