Options

Marvel [MCU] Infinity War trailer DOES put a smile on my face

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    After you see the trailer
    Woah, Hulk is talking a BUNCH all the sudden.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Holy hell that trailer!

Edit: I know it's movie vs. TV, but look how Hela moves and how her headpiece goes, compared to Medusa. That's why I'm so bummed.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    How to Marvel experts feel about Dormammu's look in Dr. Strange? Note that I mostly know Marvel characters from MvC, though I know Shuma-Gorath was made terribly, terribly goofy.

I'm a big Dr. Strange buff, and I had mixed feelings. I liked the ripple effect on his face, and I liked that they played him hard as an alien extra-dimensional being and not so much a fire-and-brimstone demon. But I wish we could have seen more of him (you only see the rest of his body in a couple of shots) and I wish they hadn't gone with purple as his dominant color. He could have used a little more visual flair, like the weird spindly structures around his head in some of the older comics.

In general, I was pleased. There are plenty of weak aspects in that movie, but Dormammu isn't one of them.

Neither was that ending.

Just *kisses fingers*

If there's one slight thing I'd have changed
    it'd be to emphasize that he was lasting a tad longer each time, demonstrating that he was basically power-levelling himself. Gives a little more latitude with future movies where he should be Sorcerer Supreme, and makes it so that he's so powerful only because he was stuck in a time loop being killed over and over by a God.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Holy shit, it's like a full-on balls-to-the-wall Heavy Metal movie.

Starring Hulk and Thor.

And turned up to 11.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the previous two Thor movies but if the third one delivers on what it seems to be promising, they were both worth it just to get here.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Ya know the opening episode of Iron Fist isn't terrible, it's not intelligent at all because it's Scott Buck but it's competent. That said, sorry that he has to bury the Inhumans for fans of them, but hopefully he will be too busy to do S2 of IF.

Speaking of...

‘Marvel’s Iron Fist’: Raven Metzner Tapped As New Showrunner Of Netflix Series
    Ah someone beat me to it, here's the Gizmodo link.
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/iron-fist-is-getting-a-new-showrunner-and-thats-probabl-1797157963

Raven Metzner! Only thing I can find to his credit is the Elektra film from 2005 which I know nothing about. I'll take a lateral change at least if that's the situation.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Seemed like an important bit in that trailer since they said it twice.

Goddess of Death

Brutal J on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Thor looks amazing.

Did anyone ever think they'd be saying that?

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    New Thor Poster:
    5t30ksyhsfxq.jpg

New Black Panther Poster:
    f57fifh9nq5h.jpg

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Fucking finally!

• Options
    Ya know the opening episode of Iron Fist isn't terrible, it's not intelligent at all because it's Scott Buck but it's competent. That said, sorry that he has to bury the Inhumans for fans of them, but hopefully he will be too busy to do S2 of IF.

Speaking of...

Good god how far out of their way did they go to find someone even worse??

They didn't, he's vastly better than Scott Buck.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Speaking of...

Ah someone beat me to it, here's the Gizmodo link.
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/iron-fist-is-getting-a-new-showrunner-and-thats-probabl-1797157963

Raven Metzner! Only thing I can find to his credit is the Elektra film from 2005 which I know nothing about. I'll take a lateral change at least if that's the situation.

If nothing else the man knows how to make a fight scene sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zjMdsTYyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spbfax8dOTk

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

I love that they've finally gone and done this. It adds so much endearment to the character.

• Options
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Ok so that Thor trailer is the best MCU trailer I have ever seen. Give that director/writer all of the Thor/Hulk movies forever. I love that the Thor/Hulk dynamic is based around oneupsmanship.

And that headdress in action. Woof!

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Ok so that Thor trailer is the best MCU trailer I have ever seen. Give that director/writer all of the Thor/Hulk movies forever. I love that the Thor/Hulk dynamic is based around oneupsmanship.

And that headdress in action. Woof!

If the movie is as good as the trailers they should let him do more Thor's.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wait a minute, who is Sigourney Weaver playing again? Because I'm having a hard time imagining Madame Gao answering to anyone, especially in that fashion.

• Options
    Wait a minute, who is Sigourney Weaver playing again? Because I'm having a hard time imagining Madame Gao answering to anyone, especially in that fashion.

Alexandra. We don't know much about her, so it's unclear whether she's a new character or secretly from the comics.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Also, this all depends on if you think Magical Drug Lord is more powerful than Successfully Xenocidal Astronaut

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Also, this all depends on if you think Magical Drug Lord is more powerful than Successfully Xenocidal Astronaut

Judging from that scene the latter holds a higher rank in their structure, which is pretty impressive if she's a human.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The only problem I have with what we've seen so far is that we likely won't see a Planet Hulk movie.

I'm not much of a Hulk fan but I really enjoyed reading that story.

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    The only problem I have with what we've seen so far is that we likely won't see a Planet Hulk movie.

I'm not much of a Hulk fan but I really enjoyed reading that story.

Unfortunately due to Hollywood obligations that's off the cards, perhaps indefinitely.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, Planet Hulk would not work in MCU

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Trailer spoiler
    She's playing a being with the chutzpah to tell Madam Gao to finish feeding the birds

That's pretty much enough for me

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I don't think it'd be that big a problem, and we are essentially getting Planet Hulk 2.0 with Thor Ragnarok.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I don't think it'd be that big a problem, and we are essentially getting Planet Hulk 2.0 with Thor Ragnarok.

Tony wouldn't shoot Hulk into space as much as go with him, though.

• Options

Hmmm. You may be right, it's not that they can't do it it's just that they need to set it up properly. Maybe after Infinite War?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    They would absolutely shoot him into space if he wrecked something major again, and space is more viable an option with knowledge of the Guardians and now Thor.

Also holy shit can't wait to see Hulk try to smash
    Surtur

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular

Hmmm. You may be right, it's not that they can't do it it's just that they need to set it up properly. Maybe after Infinite War?

But that ignores the fact that we're kind of getting Planet Hulk with Ragnarok and they aren't going to repeat the "Hulk as space gladiator" plot.

Also the real reason is apparently that Universal won't play ball with Marvel/Disney.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Yeah we are getting Planet Hulk in this movie.

Multiple characters from Planet Hulk are in the trailer and Hulk is in space dressed as a gladiator doing Hulk shit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm really happy to see them finally leaning all the way in on the humor with Thor. One of the best parts of the character in the comics is how up front they are about his inherent ridiculousness. I know it's an arc, but he had taken himself and his exploits entirely too seriously for my taste. It's also been a waste of Hemsworth in the role. Glad to see we're essentially getting a buddy comedy.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    They would absolutely shoot him into space if he wrecked something major again, and space is more viable an option with knowledge of the Guardians and now Thor.

Also holy shit can't wait to see Hulk try to smash
    Surtur

you know, I know how you meant that, but the kids in England these days use smash as a synonym for something else entirely now these days and that isn't a picture I want in my head ...

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    THOR RAGNAROK LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE

I AM SO HYPE OH MY GOD

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm really happy to see them finally leaning all the way in on the humor with Thor. One of the best parts of the character in the comics is how up front they are about his inherent ridiculousness. I know it's an arc, but he had taken himself and his exploits entirely too seriously for my taste. It's also been a waste of Hemsworth in the role. Glad to see we're essentially getting a buddy comedy.

Thor 3 looks like it's the culmination of them realising that Thor movies work when they are about crazy space-viking antics and don't when they have anything to do with boring earth shit.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Thor 3 looks like it's the culmination of them realising that Thor movies work when they are about crazy space-viking antics and don't when they have anything to do with boring earth shit.

It also helps that Hemsworth has ridiculously good comedic delivery. Let him do what he's good at (looking super dreamy and making people laugh)!

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

It also helps that Hemsworth has ridiculously good comedic delivery. Let him do what he's good at (looking super dreamy and making people laugh)!

That he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96V7F8X4Uc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocD-SzOQh8E

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    That it took them this long shameful. Hemsworth is incredibly charming when he's being just a little self-awarely self-depricating, and the character of Thor is so over the top crazytown that self-deprication takes basically no effort whatsoever.

We've gotten glimpses of it before, but they always seemed too scared not to play it at least mostly straight for whatever reason. I would guess that GotG, Spidey and, to a lesser extent, Ant Man showed them that this kind of hero can still carry a movie.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

According to people who saw the first episode of Defenders, Alexandra
    is implied to be very old, like Madame Two. But she's also dying of cancer.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    That it took them this long shameful. Hemsworth is incredibly charming when he's being just a little self-awarely self-depricating, and the character of Thor is so over the top crazytown that self-deprication takes basically no effort whatsoever.

We've gotten glimpses of it before, but they always seemed too scared not to play it at least mostly straight for whatever reason. I would guess that GotG, Spidey and, to a lesser extent, Ant Man showed them that this kind of hero can still carry a movie.

Like I said above I think the key problem is that they kept trying to tie it back to Earth and it's just so serious and boring when it does that.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    I saw some blurry Infinity War trailer...

I think Thanos kicked everyones ass.

It was very blurry.

• Options

According to people who saw the first episode of Defenders, Alexandra
    is implied to be very old, like Madame Two. But she's also dying of cancer.
    Now I'm picturing her as the MCU version of Walter White breaking bad.
    I saw some blurry Infinity War trailer...

I think Thanos kicked everyones ass.

It was very blurry.

Video game trailer.

This discussion has been closed.