As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Happy [chat]iversary Porp!

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Pinecone and I are taking a surprise trip to vermont for some kind of full moon potluck party campout thing tomorrow, apparently!! :3

Gonna bring the tent and also bake bread and bring chaga tea
    You keep saying you're not a member of the Aes Sidhe, and then you have a full moon potluck.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I need new underwear

Is this Mack Weldon brand advertised on podcasts good

poo
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also I am tired today. I tried turning the AC to 75 last night because my electricity bill was 150 last month because we had like a week and a half over 95 and multiple 100+ heat index days.

So a few degrees does save money as I normally have it at 72.

I sweated my ass off last night because of it and slept like crap.

Wow, I keep mine at 76 and feel like it's pretty much fine.

You a cold ass honky.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Does anyone in chat skateboard, or know of a good, cheap skateboard I could buy, hopefully from Amazon?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Look at the HIPAA violation!

Doesn't look like a HIPAA violation to me?

No identifiable PHI.

Fun fact, I can dump all your medical data out and show it to people as long as there's no way to tie it back to you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Does anyone in chat skateboard, or know of a good, cheap skateboard I could buy, hopefully from Amazon?

What kind of skateboard

I don't really skateboard

I have a longboard

Which I didn't use for a while and then tried using again and fucked up my knee on

poo
  • Options
    (this is how we populate test databases, we dump and merge data into test patients)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    10-year anniversaries aside, is there anything more softly pleasant than a chill bodega cat on a rainy morning

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    mazzyx is 47% honky by volume

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

81Tw6UzVlsL._SL1500_.jpg

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    [Look at the HIPAA violation!

When I doing our medical records system, I learned that there's a special patient category C for celebrities (or politicians, or...), where their records are blocked in the general system and you need special access privileges to get to them--so a rando like me can't just go in and look up what's going on with Gabby Giffords or Angelina Jolie, I'd have to be their actual doctor or whatever.

I was like: huh, I wouldn't have thought of that but it makes a lot of sense.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Those skateboards look very shivahn

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    My friends have longboards which they preach religiously but one of my friends has one of those little penny skateboards and it seems quite convenient

Eddy on
  • Options
    Those skateboards look very shivahn

It's pretty rad

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I posted this in the SE++ roleplaying thread and why not milk the effort twice
    So I did end up picking up Star Trek Adventures and I'm probably 3/4 through the book. Here are thoughts!

- The background "what you need to know about the world" stuff is all presented in-universe, as little bits of text (news archives, transcripts of scientific lectures, emails from Romulan spies, etc). It's very cute but I think if I didn't know Star Trek already I'd be pretty lost. That feels like a missed opportunity to me; the last (shitball) TV show was twelve years ago, I don't think you can just assume that random people know the ins and outs of Star Trek.

- HOWEVER, I think the game makes up for this in the chapter immediately afterward, which is the kind of "what you do in the game" chapter. It's incredibly clear and descriptive and comprehensive, breaking down all the different typical Star Trek plots into their constituent types (crisis on a planet, mysterious phenomenon, tense negotiations, etc) and spending a lot of time talking about the intended feel. Reading these first chapters, a hypothetical Trek newbie might not be very clear on the difference between Klingons and Romulans, but they should come away with a very strong idea of how a Star Trek story is supposed to go and what kinds of things you'll probably be doing in it. I also particularly like that the game keeps emphasizing that it's about people working together to solve problems and resolve conflicts. Sometimes with other Star Trek products I got the feeling I was reading something written by wehraboos who were mainly interested in COOL SPACE WARS instead of the optimistic future or the morality-play storytelling.

- The Modiphius 2d20 system is interesting and I think it will work in play but is taking some getting used to. This is my first exposure to it, as I never really looked at Conan or Infinity, and it is still kind of percolating through my head. The basic die concepts are very simple - add your relevant stats up and try to roll under the total with two twenty-sided dice - but the rules add a lot of little wrinkles to it. There aren't many moving parts to keep track of but the same basic rules widgets get renamed depending on context, which means I have to stop and think for a moment and remember them. Like, everyone and everything (even the environment) has "Traits," which are a lot like Aspects in FATE, but if a Trait is purely beneficial it's called an Advantage and if it's purely detrimental it's called a Complication. It took me a bit to realize that those all function the same way.

- The system is pretty rules-light overall, without being a formless goopy mass. The designers have made pretty wise choices about what elements to make very abstract and what to zoom in on and make detailed systems about. In the former case, someone realized that a giant list of skills, many of which revolve around made-up concepts that nobody would know when to use ("duotronic computers") was pointless, so characters have a grand total of six skills, all based on ship functions - Conn, Command, Security, Science, Medicine, Engineering. Your dude is good at Security and Command. Boom, done. Equipment? You get everything you need from the replicator, except if you're away from the ship or in a time-sensitive situation maybe you can't. Boom, done. On the other hand, things that Star Trek characters spend a lot of time doing - research, and fixing the spaceship, and negotiating with aliens, and starship combat - all get detailed, crunchy subsystems that give you a lot of meaningful choices.

- Character gen uses a lifepath system. It can be random, but it doesn't have to be - the book says upfront that it's fine if you just pick what you want. You go through seven stages, picking your person's species, the kind of world (or spaceship) they grew up on, their family upbringing, what brought them to the Academy, etc etc, and I feel like it would be pretty hard to go through this process and not have at least a decent idea of who your character is. I really like that it lets you generate a ready-made personal history for them; it feels really appropriate to the setting to be a dude who grew up on a Vulcan science colony or whatever, instead of just generic D&D farmboy #10.

- I've always wondered how Star Trek could be RP'ed, since it's not really about small groups of people, but the system here seems like it'll work: everyone rolls up their character, and those are Main Characters, and your main characters fill certain roles on the ship (you always need a captain, and after that people can choose to be the ship's doctor or science officer or first officer or whatever). For roles that players aren't covering, everyone rolls up Supporting Cast, who use a simplified character generation system so you can whip them up in a hurry. Every scene, group members decide who they're playing. So if the Captain isn't going on the dangerous away mission, the person who rolled up the captain can play Security Officer Lucky Livesalot or w hatever. Players never need to sit out a scene. I really like that. And if you like a Supporting Castmember and keep bringing them back from session to session, they can even advance in stats just like a PC.

- Wonderfully, the ship is also treated like a character, with stats that can grow and advance as you play. Your engineer can sit around tuning up the warp drive to make it faster, or whatever. It can accumulate traits and quirks that separate it from other ships of its kind so it ends up with a unique feel.

- The book's graphic design is pretty great. Everything is done up to look like an LCARS menu. Reading it on my tablet makes me feel like a future person. On the downside, the PDF has a lot of typos; thankfully, I haven't seen any that affect the rules, but stuff like a big chapter header that says "SSHIP SYSTEMS"? Really? The illustrations in the book are of varying quality. Some of the paintings are gorgeous, others are stiff. The ship and space pictures are all terrific.

- I want to play this ASAP

Chanus Hahnsoo1

This sounds awesome. Man I am so Trekked up right now, just did a TNG rewatch and a DS9 and I listen to two episode a week of a TNG podcast and

I, too, want to play this.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

What kind of skateboard

I don't really skateboard

I have a longboard

Which I didn't use for a while and then tried using again and fucked up my knee on

I'm moving, so I'm going to have to use a parking pass and park way the hell away from my actual building, and also just walking around is sort of dangerous in the later evening, so I want a more convenient and faster mode of transport that I can easily put in my car.

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    [Look at the HIPAA violation!

When I doing our medical records system, I learned that there's a special patient category C for celebrities (or politicians, or...), where their records are blocked in the general system and you need special access privileges to get to them--so a rando like me can't just go in and look up what's going on with Gabby Giffords or Angelina Jolie, I'd have to be their actual doctor or whatever.

I was like: huh, I wouldn't have thought of that but it makes a lot of sense.

"Breaking the Glass"

Basically you need to be their assigned care team, or else any attempt to access it is logged and should be reprimanded. Emergency access is allowed, hence the breaking the glass term.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh this one too i ment to @Jacobkosh when i posted it earlier

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ke$ha is my queer bestie's like favorite artist.

A new song / album would explain why his FB has asploded with more Ke$ha than normal.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Pinecone and I are taking a surprise trip to vermont for some kind of full moon potluck party campout thing tomorrow, apparently!! :3

Gonna bring the tent and also bake bread and bring chaga tea

This is that good hippie shit

• Options
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Oh chat... who are our Japanese locals?

I'm going there next week and just figured I'd ask for any tips for me going there.

Current plan is Osaka > Kyoto > Sendai > Fox Village > Sapporo > Tokyo

Any must sees? Highly recommended things?

Stuff to know I may not have thought of?

Oh hey, I used to work in the town next door to the fox village! It's a pretty nice place, just mind the nippers.

When you're in Sendai, make sure you eat ox tongue and try some of the local sweets. Matsushima is a short train ride away and is one of the Three Great Sights of Japan according to Basho, and they do some delicious oysters there as well.

Sapporo, you need to try soup curry, it's absolutely legit. If you can spare the majority of a day to ride the trains, you should head down to the Ainu village/museum and check it out! There is also a sea port a shorter trip away which is well worth visiting for the historical connection it has with Russian trade, the craft breweries, and this one ice cream place which does pretty much anything you can think of - last time I was there I had a scoop of crab and another of squid ink ice cream

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

A new song / album would explain why his FB has asploded with more Ke$ha than normal.

Her songs are catchy af.

I find it hard to not listen to them.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I have, over the past couple of years, signed maybe literally countless consent waivers regarding my medical history, to the point where I really stopped exercising any real degree of discernment with regards to how broadly I really ought to be sharing my medical history

But I was primary approaching it with the mindset and expectation that it would truncate many future conversations and weighed that against the risk that I'd unknowingly sign off on something that said "just publish that shit in the newspaper fam"

And so far it's worked out pretty well, as most things ultimately do for Narwhal

• Options
    I need new underwear

Shaz it's on like all the podcasts
    It has to be good

Posted from my Leesa Mattress surrounded by empty Blue Apron containers

• Options
    @shivhan if it's for transport a longboard is a good option

Earthwing makes nice ones

poo
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »

81Tw6UzVlsL._SL1500_.jpg

I would caution against this if you haven't done it before because if it's the size I suspect it is getting your center of gravity in the right place is going to involve a lot of falls. First board should allow for a wide stance IMO.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I need new underwear

It has to be good

I have a casper mattress and it's p awesome actually

• Options
    I need new underwear

It has to be good

the pods I listen to seem to hawk MeUndies, never heard of this Mack Weldon upstart

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I have, over the past couple of years, signed maybe literally countless consent waivers regarding my medical history, to the point where I really stopped exercising any real degree of discernment with regards to how broadly I really ought to be sharing my medical history

But I was primary approaching it with the mindset and expectation that it would truncate many future conversations and weighed that against the risk that I'd unknowingly sign off on something that said "just publish that shit in the newspaper fam"

And so far it's worked out pretty well, as most things ultimately do for Narwhal

Now I understand why I got your medical history in the mail the other day.

• Options
    shivhan if it's for transport a longboard is a good option

Earthwing makes nice ones

Hmm yes this is good info

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    In not adorable news, girl never texted me back yesterday. *sigh*

Modern dating is the worst.

Lol yes

I went on 4 dates last week (with 3 people)

It is a shit

This one on Wednesday seemed to go well. She agreed to give me her number. She initiated the hug. And she said her phone was wonky but I wasn't worried. But who knows.

I have learned I can't read people at all anymore.

Just a blind man walking into walls.

I went on a date last week that went well you know, had a jolly time in the park drinking a bottle of rosé, had a nice kisses time, had a text me at the end of it

Had a second date that she seemed into, we laughed and talked a lot, but I dunno maybe I was weird because towards the end of it started to be more distant and got the quick hug goodbye

And the text a day later of you're super great but I think we should just be friends, lmk if you want to hang casually and *shrug*

lol I've been on so many fruitless dates over the last year
    Though I guess a lot of them because I wasn't feeling the other person, but then a ton of them with similar to above

So *shrug*

I need someone to set me up or something, this is exhausting

The last part literally has never happened to me.

My friends excuse straight up is, "well you seem to be doing fine on your own as you go on dates."

Yeah....

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Oh hey, @Mazzyx

I watched the Blame! movie that you recommended.

I liked it a lot. I still find that Knights of Sidonia style cel shaded 3D to be jarring at first. But once you get used to it it's no problem. I really liked the world and the protagonists of that show. I've always like this kind of setting. I saw that there was OVAs for this manga done a while back. I wonder if they are good. I also wonder if the manga is worth reading.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Also I am tired today. I tried turning the AC to 75 last night because my electricity bill was 150 last month because we had like a week and a half over 95 and multiple 100+ heat index days.

So a few degrees does save money as I normally have it at 72.

I sweated my ass off last night because of it and slept like crap.

;-;

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Anecdotally, these experiments can also go very wrong

• Options
    Six wrote: »

81Tw6UzVlsL._SL1500_.jpg

I would caution against this if you haven't done it before because if it's the size I suspect it is getting your center of gravity in the right place is going to involve a lot of falls. First board should allow for a wide stance IMO.

I went to UCSD for undergrad, I know how to balance on a board :P

(though it's been a lot of years)

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I need new underwear

It has to be good

the pods I listen to seem to hawk MeUndies, never heard of this Mack Weldon upstart

@Melinoe has some and she is very impressed by them. I will cajole her into actually logging in when she wakes up.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    I need new underwear

It has to be good

I assume they're all the same company just rebranded. Like those cheap beach stores in the Outer Banks where you buy shells with googly eyes on them and American flag towels.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

Her songs are catchy af.

I find it hard to not listen to them.

They're good pops janglerim

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.